Exalted Vs CofD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exalted Vs CofD

So while perusing the WoD forum I found discussion about the Exalted WoD connection. Now I am already aware that by the time Ex1 came out that connection was more a wink and a nod to WoD fans than anything else but in that forum I found Holden's personal non Canon project that Imports the Exalted into the WoD. This document was absolutely fantastic and helped me get excited for a dark modern fantasy/gothic horror setting again. It took me some time to figure out why it was that I found the idea of having the exalted, even weakened like they are in this book, dropped into the middle of the Jyhad was so fun to me and it finally hit me. It's the disruption. I love seeing the pre-established setting with all of its secrets and conspiracies and deep powers meet big glowing heroes like the exalted and get totally shaken by them. The initial upset and chaos, the glowing moments of defiance in the face of oppressive darkness, the inevitable backlash, the struggle of the world to stabilize itself again, these things always excite me because I always believe that a game setting should be changed by the end. The setting disrupting nature of the Chosen is something that always excited me but many of my friends dont quite jive with the swords and sorcery world of exalted.

This excitement had me world building a place for me and my friends to play around in where these Chosen can emerge back into a world on the brink, but I kept coming back to CofD lore. While I love the mystery and mystique of the WoD at the end of the night it is the CofD lore that I am most familiar with and what I want to use in my world building tool. I doubt that anyone has actually done a conversion for The Exalted into the CofD setting, and certainly not on the level of complexity of Exalted vs World of Darkness. I was still hoping however for some advice to make the conversion myself. I know that I dont "Need" The Exalted to tell stories of disrupting the system, or returning heroes from a lost age, or bad ass action adventure in a world of fear and terror. I want them though and my players love them but im not going to try to just rip the square peg of EX3 and try to shove it into the round hole that is the CofD 2e system.

So if anyone has any ideas or advice for carrying things over I would very much appreciate it. If anyone else has been struck by this madness before me and want to share your experiences believe me I am all ears.

I'm familiar with the Classic WoD conversion pdf you're talking about, and just like you I loved the idea of it, but find the setting and rules more compelling in Chronicles.

I know the author of that pdf is working on a Chronicles version (after he's finished with a revised version of the original one you mentioned, so who knows how long the development might be) but I've also been slowly working on a Chronicles version of my own.

Some of the big things I've noticed for Chronicles (forgive me if any of this feels to obvious) :

1. The creatures are more powerful, with more reliable supernatural abilities in general; so abilities that can make someone a wrecking ball in OWoD don't translate the same in Chronicles.

2. Directly contrary to the 1st point, firearms and the inability to defend against 'em are a big deal. I wouldn't give that ability to Exalts de-facto, but I would make that defense relatively cheap and easily accessible.

3. Speaking of combat, I'm finding it a very delicate balance. Mortal offense tends to be a tricky thing, with hits being won or lost on the tiny margins of a dice or two. On the other hand it's not hard for a moderately combat specced vampire to absolutely wreck someone's day with over 20 dice. So, it's fiddly and one should figure out exactly where they want to draw the line.

Personally, a power level comparable to the Fate (anime) franchise feels right to me. On that level the regular supernaturals come down to a rather mook-ish level (depending on the splat) but by mid and high supernatural potency stat all bets are off.

Looking forward to seeing what you or others make of a conversion.
    Last edited by Janissary87; 07-13-2020, 06:33 PM.

https://exalted-golden-shackles-iron...dianportal.com Visit Golden Shackles, Iron Crowns; a 3rd Edition Exalted Campaign ongoing since 2014

Comment

I am really glad to learn that someone else has an interest in this idea other than me that is a relief. I didn't hear about an adaptation for chronicles being worked on by Holden but that is exciting news. Creatures being more powerful in Chronicles surprises me. I had always heard that WoD had the higher power-scale. I have never actually read Fate or any variation on that system so i don't have a good reference for your suggestion on that end. I do appreciate the advice though and will look out for any tool I can find to hopefully make this something for my games.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiwuno View Post
        I am really glad to learn that someone else has an interest in this idea other than me that is a relief. I didn't hear about an adaptation for chronicles being worked on by Holden but that is exciting news. Creatures being more powerful in Chronicles surprises me. I had always heard that WoD had the higher power-scale. I have never actually read Fate or any variation on that system so i don't have a good reference for your suggestion on that end. I do appreciate the advice though and will look out for any tool I can find to hopefully make this something for my games.
        It's popular in some circles, can send you a message pertaining to it if you'd like.

Splats in NWoD were generally throwing around less dice and not doing the split your duce pools for a half dozen attacks, so that "power point" is gemerally closed. Where Chronicles is different is on the creatures ability to shrug off damage. Vamps turn everything into bashing, Gauru form Werewolves regen all bashing and lethal dmg every round; etc. Chronicles is a big u0grade of creature power compared to NWoD.

Ah, when I mentioned Fate I was talking about the anime/media Fate, Fate Zero, etc.

https://exalted-golden-shackles-iron...dianportal.com Visit Golden Shackles, Iron Crowns; a 3rd Edition Exalted Campaign ongoing since 2014

Comment

I would love to learn more. When i told my wife about my world building ideas she got really excited so anything i can get to help is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X