FAN GAME CONCEPTS: Pick'em Apart To Help Make'em Happen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAN GAME CONCEPTS: Pick'em Apart To Help Make'em Happen

*Brushes self off* Well, now that I have a life again I can get back to work on a few things.

So! Fan splats, we all love'em. Thing is, we also have our own commitments in the world that mean we can't exactly babysit them. Now I already posted one a while back, but Uncle Sam needed my time and I couldn't exactly focus. So, now that I have a life again, here we go.

First, breathing new life into two old ones.

Pathogen: The Infected

I had worked on this one a long way back, but my efforts were...lackluster. I know some here are hoping TV Tropes and breathe new life back into the project, but I say there's no reason we can't take this flag up ourselves.

Now, while it's already a game about body horror, it can go deeper than that. Instead of just "body horror", it can also deal with the fact that mankind will never, ever be rid of disease. It isn't just a game about body horror, it's about dealing with a horror we live with every day (Especially now, by God).

Suggestion: First, we need to rework the X-Splats. Symptoms, while not a terrible way to handle the Pathogen, also seem a little awkward. Instead, why not either "Transmission" (Airborne, Waterborne, Sexual, Genetic, Zoonotic) or "Source" (Viral, Bacterial, Prion, Fungal, Psychosomatic). It isn't perfect, but it still relies on the basics of what we know about diseases without what felt like shoehorning certain factors for the original X-Splats. ATP can still make sense as a "mana pool", but what else can be worked with?

Psychic: The Gifted

I know, at this point everyone and their mother in CoD has psychics, but hear me out. Instead of focusing on power from an outside source, Psychics instead take their power from deep within themselves. This isn't a game about being a movie monster or fighting some other half. Psychic can instead be a game about the self-imposed limits we place on ourselves. Psychics hear people ask, "Why not win the lottery?" or "Why not warn about a disaster?" They respond, "Because then I'd always win the lottery" or "Which disaster?" The rules of the Psychic masquerade are just as much for the protection of others as themselves, and their primary antagonists are the Psychics who want to throw off these self-imposed shackles and let loose.

Suggestion: First, there need to be sources of these psychic powers. Instead of working on the Five Stages of Grief, it can draw from how people can allegedly obtain these powers as the X-splat (Technological, Introspective, Chemical, Madness, Inherited) while the Y can be based on the classic Zener cards used to test for alleged psychic powers (Circle, Cross, Waves, Square, Star).

This is just a start, I've got a few more ideas kicking around. Still, what do you guys think of these as jumping-off points?

With the Contagion becoming a part of the CofD, I think that the Infected should be somewhat tied to it, just like how Demon was tied to the God Machine Chronicles. I mean, we already have a global supernatural infection which corrupts everything it touches. It makes sense for a splat based around similar concepts to be tied to the same phenomenon.

As for Psychic, one of the things I really liked from Mage's Psychic Hack was the idea of psychic vampirism, and how psychics may require to hunt each other in order to use their powers. Iam not sure if it works with your concept, but ui just wanted to bring it up as I think it was a cool idea.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
      As for Psychic, one of the things I really liked from Mage's Psychic Hack was the idea of psychic vampirism, and how psychics may require to hunt each other in order to use their powers. Iam not sure if it works with your concept, but ui just wanted to bring it up as I think it was a cool idea.
      I do have an idea that one possible antagonist is a "Free Roamer", a psychic consciousness that's unshackled itself from it's physical body to go tear around the "Mindscape".

Comment

Don't have the time to really read and contibute thoughts ,but as a good rule of thumb for direction:

Figure out how these games are different down to a thematic level from in-house games (namely Deviant: the Renegades and Mage: the Awakening), and chop and refine until you really have the voice that'll carry it out. This is a fairly big problem for fangames, so start early and get bloody and toothsome with it.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Chronicles of Darkness is a series of horror games about monsters. What's the dark thematic core of Psychic, and how does it differ from that of Mage, another game about outwardly human people unlocking superhuman inner potential?

My suggestion: you're looking at a lot of potential to work with expressions of subconscious fears and resentments. The horror of Mage is what you would choose to do with unlimited power, and what that says about you. The horror of Psychic could be what your power says about you without your conscious intent. I'm picturing a surreal game with hints of Lynch and Cronenberg and moving in a similar direction to the Rapt of Mage, people whose lives become blown out, exaggerated pictures of what they were before, whose power can't help but spill out in strange dreamlike forms and phenomena they don't consciously control until they can consciously understand them.

Whatever your core theme is, don't decide on splat types until you've locked that in, and don't feel obligated to follow the splat structure in ways that don't support and reinforce your core theme.

Comment

Well, talking with you guys helps hash out those details.

To me, the key difference between Deviant and Pathogen is the reaction to what happened. Deviants are so shattered, they don't have a human soul as it is in CoD anymore. They literally need an outside anchor even. Meanwhile, Pathogen is about living with a horror you thought you knew. Disease is already terrifying enough, and this one is doing things to you that shouldn't be possible. Remember when this all started, how no one quite knew what was happening? Everyone infected with the Pathogen deals with that every day. Some people, it hits like the most terrifying case of the flu that won't let you die. Others, it turns them into walking eczema scabs. Why does it affect you but not others? How do you live with something in you that you can't even deal with? This isn't a vampire's beast for example, it doesn't urge you on or make you a raving monster with certain stimuli. It is, is has been, and will be, and for all you know? You're just along for the ride.

Psychic, to me, is different in terms of where that overblown power comes from. Mages draw from the Supernal right? In my mind, Psychics draw from an unlocking not of supernal truth, but human ability. They managed to unlock a potential that shouldn't be possible, to become more than human. The thing is, that power can destroy them physically. Supernal power can hurt you, but overclock your psychic abilities and you'll be left with more than a nosebleed. Pounding headaches, even migraines, potentially small aneurysms that act as lethal wounds. This isn't about the search for a greater truth, this is about dealing with the fact that you are something more now, and at the same time can't display it knowing what kind of hell it would bring down.

Comment

So, to help hone it down, how is Psychic different from Deviant, then?

For the difference between Deviant and Pathogen, a couple of things. 1) Deviants still have souls, they're just badly damaged and warped into the infrastructure, not that that's a big deal for this convo, 2) I think dealing with the disease angle versus Renegades' man-made mutilation is a decent angle to work with, but remember that you've still gotta cut deep enough into Deviant to account for Genotypal and particularly the Pathological (though you can probably get a lot of mileage by looking at the Pathological and seeing if you can build outwards from there enough to warrant the splat).

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Deviants have to control their power or else they basically go haywire, right? Psychics don't hurt anyone else if their powers run rampant, but they do a lot of damage to themselves. Their powers don't run rampant and turn them into Tetsuo during the climax of Akira. They only kill themselves. The difference is in their response to these powers. Deviants, from what I can tell, shatter. Psychics don't quite break down, but they essentially do have to limit themselves. If Deviant is an arguable metaphor for abuse, Psychic is arguable as a metaphor for society. Psychics could do a lot of damage without their rules, and unlike a lot of paranormals they can do it without necessarily drawing attention. However, as a group they've effectively come together in order to not take over the world. To me, the horror of Psychic is dealing with power. The knowledge that the only thing that stands between us and chaos or oppression is a set of artificial constructs that rule our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy254 View Post
                  Deviants have to control their power or else they basically go haywire, right? Psychics don't hurt anyone else if their powers run rampant, but they do a lot of damage to themselves. Their powers don't run rampant and turn them into Tetsuo during the climax of Akira. They only kill themselves. The difference is in their response to these powers. Deviants, from what I can tell, shatter. Psychics don't quite break down, but they essentially do have to limit themselves. If Deviant is an arguable metaphor for abuse, Psychic is arguable as a metaphor for society. Psychics could do a lot of damage without their rules, and unlike a lot of paranormals they can do it without necessarily drawing attention. However, as a group they've effectively come together in order to not take over the world. To me, the horror of Psychic is dealing with power. The knowledge that the only thing that stands between us and chaos or oppression is a set of artificial constructs that rule our lives.
                  You should probably find some way to read Deviant before proceeding.

Because the End Stage Condition is totally pulling an AhKeRah*.

*I'm trying to evoke Jerry from Rick and Morty.

Comment

Deviants have to control their power or else they basically go haywire, right? [...] If Deviant is an arguable metaphor for abuse,
                    The analogy-space Deviant is built for is chronic/terminal conditions.

There's an observation I made several months ago, if I can navigate this new phone to find it... Ah, here we are:

While we like to post that Akira gif to explain how Instability works as a vector for power consumption in the Remade, the fact of the matter that it's important not to over-romanticize is that a lot of the time it just means the character gets sicker, crazier, and worse-off — Instability is first and foremost a track that measures how close you are to death by becoming completely Broken.

Resident Lore-Hound
                    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Worth noting that on top of learning what Deviant is and how it works to help keep differentiation from any new fan games, it's also kind of a great case study to help homebrewers do that. Deviant has a lot of crossover themes and ideas with other games (notably Changeling) but takes those ideas in different directions that go a long way in making it unique to itself while still having those shared spaces, and that sort of pole star is useful as a comparable guide to one's own efforts.

Demon to Mage isn't a bad one either, though it plays second to Deviant and others (namely Changeling).

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                        The analogy-space Deviant is built for is chronic/terminal conditions.
                        So less abuse, more Lou Gerhig's Disease, got it.

Comment

The cause of Divergence is definitely abuse, it's just the Broken State is more like chronic illness

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                            The cause of Divergence is definitely abuse, it's just the Broken State is more like chronic illness
                            The cause/requisite event of Divergence is cracking your soul open so magic powers come out. This tends to be a traumatic event that many conspiracies have a vested interest in deliberately replicating, but it can also happen completely divorced from human endeavor.

Make no mistake, the final do-or-die threshold of accumulated Instability specifically includes "any Variations you have maxed out get a further narrative boost," but getting to that point means you've picked up some extra temporary Scars and worsened the ones you already had (which is a prerequisite for increasing the ratings of attached Variations, but doing that means committing to worse problems permanently) and the only way you're getting out of that state with your life is by killing something you hate so badly it helps define your existence.

Depending on the particulars of your Divergence you might lose your powers of speech or empathy (if not one of your senses or the use of your limbs), display highly visible inhuman features, become addicted to one of your powers, start hallucinating, lose your memories of before you were transformed, pick up the common styles of supernatural banes, enter a suggestible fugue state under certain conditions, start needing some substance or other to survive, suffer the effects of exposure from all but one type of environment, become increasingly violent, develop a split personality, become spectacularly unlucky, or pick up one of four or five different complications to damage and injury, on top of more general fare like terrible nightmares and a stronger evidence trail for conspiracies to track you down by whenever you use your powers.

Lou Gehrig's Disease is one comparison, Alzheimer's is another, Memento is a third. The Broken are aptly nicknamed.

Resident Lore-Hound
                            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

See, to me Psychics aren't "broken" in that sense. They essentially built themselves into something that isn't quite baseline human anymore. To me, they're like Tony Stark when he stood in front of Congress and claimed he privatized world peace. To anyone with a lick of sense, that'd be terrifying to hear someone say. To run down the possible comparisons right now:

- Psychics aren't Mages: Psychics don't cause Paradox by using their abilities, and don't have their souls turned by supernal magic. True, they're not quite human anymore, but their abilities don't quite fuck with reality the way a mage's magic does.

- Psychics aren't Deviants: Deviants are fractured, broken people who are slowly and eventually going to crumble into nothing. They are, however, not immune to power flare ups if they overtax themselves. The difference is that a Psychic won't level a city block, but will definitely hurt themselves from running hot.

- Psychics aren't Geniuses: While a Genius is insane, a Psychic isn't necessarily crazy. To me, Psychics implemented a ruleset for their own to follow because of the consequences of a bunch of psychic-powered people running around. Geniuses have their Obligation to keep the world from going cuckoo for cocoa puffs. Psychics have their rules because they recognized that if they didn't, the world would be far worse than with them.

Basically, to me psychics can either be Pro-Human Transhumans, or the people who say we don't need laws because laws hold us back. They don't have any high-ordained purpose in existence, and so it was either make some rules or wind up being like a Bela Lugosi villain, cackling as you look down on the "simpletons" below.

Comment

Working...
                              X