Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mentors and Extended Tests, is there a limit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mentors and Extended Tests, is there a limit?

A Mentor in CofD is said to have successes equal to their level. They always succeed in instant tests, but what about extended tests?
    A Mentor 1 is as capable as a Mentor 5 of completing an extended test with target 20? Does it will just take longer to do it?
    How you limit that mechanically? Say the both are asked to crack a password in a computer, that requires 20 success with one hour between tries. The Mentor 5 does it in 4 hours, but is the Mentor 1 even capable of doing so (extended tests are limited by dice pool)? Would it take 20 hours?

I don't see anything that would prevent a Mentor to do extended actions, since they could be a favor that they could do. But what you can accomplish is conditional to your dice pool (how many tries you can get in an extended action), of which we have no information about the Mentor dice pool (like we do know of a Retainer).

I think the primary thing that would prevent Mentors from being used for most extended actions is that requesting them to do something is supposed to be done during the session. Any extended action with a significant interval is going to easily be out of scope for a favor that happens relatively soon.

Though if you want to put a cap on things: Assume a Mentor has a base dice-pool of [Rating x 2] and applies Rating bonus dice to any roll. These means they roll 3 dice per dot, which is then averaged out to 1 success per dot as per the mechanics. This keeps their base dice-pools within normal ranges (2 to 10) for their Interval cap.

It's not really the best (low rated Mentors are basically useless for extended action help, and high rated ones will blow through any extended action anyway), but it is at least simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
      Though if you want to put a cap on things: Assume a Mentor has a base dice-pool of [Rating x 2] and applies Rating bonus dice to any roll. These means they roll 3 dice per dot, which is then averaged out to 1 success per dot as per the mechanics. This keeps their base dice-pools within normal ranges (2 to 10) for their Interval cap.

It's not really the best (low rated Mentors are basically useless for extended action help, and high rated ones will blow through any extended action anyway), but it is at least simple.
      I thought about something like that and reached the same conclusion, low Mentor fells useless. [Rating x 3] for the dice pool works up to Mentor 3 (which already can get 27 successes), but above that either they need some serious bonus (8-again with is more or less a +2 dice) and probably willpower to within valid Skill/Attribute ranges...

They can be increased linearly. Since Mentors are highly capable (according to text), the difference in Rating will be less about capability, and more about resources/desire to help you out. The dice pool could be 4+Rating, which would mean that basic 5 successes stuff is now available to a Mentor 1 that isn't much motivated/equiped (-2 penalty), a Mentor 2 can do 12 successes and would basically be averaging all its rolls without penalties/bonuses, a Mentor 3 would have some nice equipament bonus (+2) and be able to get up to 21 successes, Mentor 4 would have premium equipament (+3) and also 9-again to get 32 success (now he is just doing stuff better/faster), and a Mentor 5 would probably have premium equipament (+3) and 8-again and get 45 successes.

Another simpler way is just ignore dice pool and say they can do a flat 5 tries each. This has a nice progression of 5, 10,15, 20, 25 succeses and at most 5 time units spent. It has no bound in mechanics but is a very easy simplification.

Comment

As I said on reddit:

If you want them to be able to accomplish extended actions, then base it on the easy task/pro level task/expert level task breakdown for extended actions:

2-dot Mentors can and will perform easy tasks (5 successes required), 3-dot Mentors will perform professional level tasks (10 successes), 4-dot Mentors will perform advanced professional tasks (15 successes), and 5-dot Mentors will perform tasks only experts can perform (20 successes). 1-dot Mentors either lack the capability or desire to engage in extended actions for you.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

proindrakenzol I went back on reddit to see what I have missed and just now seem that you edited your post and I missed it.

It is a nice and simple idea indeed, but I still think that a Mentor 1 shoudn't be a useless dude that can score just one succeess on instant actions and nothing else. I would probably use the Rating x 5 (as I mentioned above) since this allows Mentor 5 to do really impressive 25 successes stuff (as they should be able to) and the Mentor 1 still can do easy 5-successes stuff.

Comment

For what it is worth, in my games Mentors can be used on Extended Tests, but only to give a bit of aid, which translates to giving their automatic successes once during the course of the Extended Tests, which makes those tests easier, but still leaves the main burden on the protagonists. If you are worried about Mentors with a lower Rating not having enough impact, make it so the Mentor's automatic successes count as the owning player character's successes on the next roll for the purposes of calculating Exceptional Success.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

Just throwing out another idea: if you want to keep the player character in the spotlight, you could use the Teamwork rules, with the Mentor adding their automatic successes as bonus dice to the character's pool. This wouldn't be a huge bonus, but it would apply to every roll. I would also add the Mentor's rating to the maximum number of roles.

The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

Comment

Working...
              X