Sorcerers and Psychics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorcerers and Psychics

Hey all, so in the CoD Second Sight book the various psychic and thaumaturgy powers are basically either set up as one set of dots or two sets of dots (say three and five). Now while this is cool I just noticed, after some random checking of WoD books I own for another personal project, that in the book Sorcerer Revised Edition the same set of similar powers are designed as paths with five dots and some rituals.

I have to admit I really like this format. This idea of a sorcerer slowly growing over time.

Which leads me to this question, is there an equivalent version of that in CoD. That is say a version of Telepathy with o to ooooo that a mortal sorcerer could progress through.

And if there isn't anything official, is there anything homebrew that might provide something similar.

Thanks for any information on this.

The Hunter: the Vigil 1e supplement Witch Finders has a system called "gutter magic" that does something similar.

In 2e, Hurt Locker has a bunch of supernatural merits, and even some supernatural merit fighting styles (including a o to ooooo Telepathy fighting style that requires telepathy ooooo) and six merit-based minor templates.

Second Sight: Third Eye is a fan supplement that further expands on the content presented in the core book and Hurt Locker.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post
      The Hunter: the Vigil 1e supplement Witch Finders has a system called "gutter magic" that does something similar.

In 2e, Hurt Locker has a bunch of supernatural merits, and even some supernatural merit fighting styles (including a o to ooooo Telepathy fighting style that requires telepathy ooooo) and six merit-based minor templates.

Second Sight: Third Eye is a fan supplement that further expands on the content presented in the core book and Hurt Locker.

Thanks for these suggestions. Out of them the only one I own is Witch Finders. Its a good book but there are elements of it that feel less than what I want, despite it being a nice start.

On the other two I just looked them up. Just bought second Sight: Third Eye and oooh yeah, its awesome. From reading the information on the page I followed that up by looking at a bunch of his other stuff - including him creating the Sorcerer Companion book for Mage 20th Sorcerer's Revised, which seems kind of fortuitous as that was the book that started this comment.

But yeah, its really good looking and a nice development of what I am looking for.

I just got the pdf for Hurt Locker, and well, its now on my list to try and get a physical copy of that book. The material there looks really really really interesting.

Thanks for the comments. Though its not so much Sorcerer Revised for Chronicles it is in fact the current equivalent, and it has a lot of ideas.

(I totally see the inspiration for the Lesser Immortal templates in Mummy 2 from what was written in the Hurt Locker book. hehe)

Comment

On a related question, is there a particular reason that anyone knows on why the whole going o to ooooo style of Supernatural Power Merits seem to be phased out compared to Merits with one or two exact sets of powers. Because really, from a gaming perspective I think the idea of a character having Telepathy and then being able to raise it from o all the way to ooooo over the game would feel more personal and progress worthy. It also seems a bit more fun for as you grow so do your powers.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
          On a related question, is there a particular reason that anyone knows on why the whole going o to ooooo style of Supernatural Power Merits seem to be phased out compared to Merits with one or two exact sets of powers. Because really, from a gaming perspective I think the idea of a character having Telepathy and then being able to raise it from o all the way to ooooo over the game would feel more personal and progress worthy. It also seems a bit more fun for as you grow so do your powers.
          For starters, because it means you have to either come up with a way to scale every type of supernatural power across a one-to-five dot rating as a Style Merit or give some number of the dots a functional effect little better than the "empty dots" of the existing method (most easily by just having a dot translate to an extra die on the power's rolls), but also…

Well, you may notice that Deviant does that for most of its powers, and the way it gets away with that is that Variations cost more than a single Experience per dot for all but the most powerful instances, establish a floor for your Supernatural Tolerance, and come with inbuilt drawbacks in the form of Scars unless you're benefiting from the more limited uses of e.g. Sacred Flesh or Conspiracy Icons.

You might do something like 1e Mage did and establish a granular table of how many dots of powers you could sustain before needing to buy another dot in the Supernatural Tolerance Merit, but at that point you've introduced an express structural progression that deserves more attention than throwing the whole thing into Merits' "this is where you put mechanics that don't have an established place in the system if you don't want to homebrew half a template" design space. Cost and granularity make up a lot of the balancing act there.

Resident Lore-Hound
          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
            Storytelling is the name of the game, and there's more to characters beyond their powers. Even psychics, sorcerers, and mages. This has been doubled down in second edition with supernaturals having a lot of inherent aspects to their condition.

In addition, it helps make the assorted supernaturals unique on their own. It was kind of bland to have everyone with the same kind of powers in the same setup.
            Last edited by nofather; 10-09-2020, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Another thing you could do (though this requires extensive work on creating and balancing examples for your table) is use the Equipment Building rules in CofD Core for making Occult "Equipment" as a kind of prepared, low sorcery.

You "build", say, a fire-bolt spell, and afterwards can use it to attack targets at range, rolling Dexterity or Wits (or whatever seems sensible) + Occult (or Athletics) - Defense (or not, if it is firearms speed). It deals damage according to Successes + the Equipment Bonus set at the time of "building", or maybe one less if it also sets things on fire. You can play around with it.

Telepathy might be a "spell" you build/prepare that lets you roll Wits or Intelligence + Empathy to ask Successes in questions regarding what the target is thinking.

Basically, you use the "Occult Equipment" as justification for actions you normally could not perform mundanely, but still use the existing Attribute + Skill rolls and/or Weapons systems.

Additionally, for Psychic-like effects, you could look into amechra's ultra-light psychic powers: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...psychic-powers
              Last edited by Vent0; 10-12-2020, 10:19 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
              X