Mystery Cult: The Lost Children of Fortuna

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Cult: The Lost Children of Fortuna

The Lost Children of Fortuna is a Mystery Cult being created in my Mage: the Awakening 2e game.

The mage investing in the cult has the Shadow Name Tinker Bell and is a member of the (homebrew) Legacy Exploratores Felicem Spiritim (Scouts of the Lucky Wind). The Shadow Name of Tinker Bell is where the Peter Pan flavor comes in; the focus on the Goddess Fortuna comes out of the Legacy background.

The in-universe idea behind the cult is to bring in people that are down on their luck, disenfranchised, or feel cheated (just like a real cult!) and bring them into the worship of Fortuna, and by worshiping her they begin to find success.

Because this is a cult for a Mage game I have "Mortal" and "Mage" versions of ranks three and four of the Merit.

Any feedback would be appreciated, and if anyone is looking for a morally decent Mystery Cult not tied to the God-Machine, feel free to use this.
    Name: The Lost Children of Fortuna
    Purpose: Turn around your life, and achieve the success denied you.
    Relic: An idol of Fortuna.
    Doctrine: .
    Children must bring/donate an item that has brought them luck that week.
    Children should share opportunities they come across with other members.
    Never be averse to risk, risk is but a chance to place your faith in Fotuna.
    Exploit every opportunity, but do not exploit people, everyone is a Lost Child, even if they don't know it.

Dot Mortal Mage
    o .
    The Child gains a Streetwise Specialization in Hustle Opportunities, even the least likely opportunity could lead to a big break.
    oo .
    Due to ongoing good fortune; be it an unexpected raise, a new business opportunity, or something else; the Child gains one dot in the Resources merit.
    ooo .
    Once per Chapter, after praying to the idol of Fortuna, the Child guarantees they'll find a person, place, or thing that will help them fulfill their desires within the next 24 hours. See the Fate 2 spell Shifting the Odds in the Mage 2e core book for full details.
    Gain two dots in the Shadow Name Merit for the Shadow Name used with members of the Cult. The unAwakened Children's actions resonate with the Mage's nimbus and persona.
    oooo .
    Darlings (priests and priestesses) of the Cult gain access to a powerful blessed item. This item functions as 3-dots in the Merit Object Fetishism, except not limited to a single Skill Specialty. The object is genuinely magical in nature. (Object Fetishism can be found in Hurt Locker)
    By dedicating some of their luck to Fortuna, a Mage at this level can incorporate a Sacrament Yantra with a bonus equal to their Resources dots into a spell; unlike most Sacrament Yantras where a physical item is destroyed, this Sacrament is purely ephemeral, fortune itself is destroyed. This counts as purchasing an item at their Resources level.
    ooooo The Pan's (High Priest/ess) phenomenal good fortune has catapulted them to the upper echelons of Society, they gain the Fame Merit at three dots, representing a lucky break of some sort that places them in the lime light. The source of this Fame could be winning political office, topping billboards, getting cast in the leading role of a successful movie, or any other event that would grant overnight, world wide fame.
    Last edited by proindrakenzol; 11-03-2020, 06:22 PM.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

This is really cool, its sounds like something that would not only draw the Exploratores, but the Reality Makers as well. It might be considered the Arrow's way to fight against the Ruin or even the Silver Ladder's way to foster Sleepers unto higher rungs by claiming a better fate for themselves.

One thing I wonder about is what happens to Resource dots gained via the actual Shifting the Odds spell, can they be used as sacrament yantra ? What happens if they expire afterwards and the mage recasts the spell ? In addition, does destroying the fortune earn them some kind of permanent enmity from its source (like becoming hated by a rich sponsor or hunted by big cassinos) or bring ruination upon them ? Does it instead make you unable to access it (even magically) for a certain period of time before it goes back to normal ?

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
    The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
      This is really cool, its sounds like something that would not only draw the Exploratores, but the Reality Makers as well. It might be considered the Arrow's way to fight against the Ruin or even the Silver Ladder's way to foster Sleepers unto higher rungs by claiming a better fate for themselves.
      Those are some cool ideas! We'll see how much traction it gains in the rest of the group. Unfortunately my Silver Ladder player has been unable to make it recently due to Life Stuff and the other other Arrow Mage Strongly Disapproves.

One thing I wonder about is what happens to Resource dots gained via the actual Shifting the Odds spell, can they be used as sacrament yantra ? What happens if they expire afterwards and the mage recasts the spell ? In addition, does destroying the fortune earn them some kind of permanent enmity from its source (like becoming hated by a rich sponsor or hunted by big cassinos) or bring ruination upon them ? Does it instead make you unable to access it (even magically) for a certain period of time before it goes back to normal ?

My intent is to limit it to actual "real" instances of the Resources Merit (i.e. those purchased via experience or received from other Merits), but it can only be used once per chapter (it counts as your "at Resources purchase," which can only be done once per chapter) and caps at 5, so allowing magically fabricated Resources to work might be fine?

What might be the most interesting is if mundane resources carried no penalty (other than "eating" your purchase for the Chapter), but using magically generated Resources did come with major narrative consequences like those that you suggested. I'll see if it comes up in play and keep your ideas in mind!

I might also allow multiple uses, with each additional use having the same effect as purchasing above your Resources, i.e. reducing the dot rating for a month, and making it cumulative. The Mage Child can burn through their Resources, but it's less effective each time after the second, and takes a while to recharge.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Working...
      X