Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Published Story Hooks: Do you use them, why or why not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Published Story Hooks: Do you use them, why or why not?

Hoping the subject was clear enough. But to explain, a lot of the books in Chronicles offer Story Hooks (in a sidebar, usually 3 of them) when introducing new concepts or creatures. They are common in Night Horrors books but have been seen elsewhere, for instance each Lodge in the Werewolf Lodge books has a sidebar with three, as does the Mage Legacy books, and many of the locations in the second edition core books.

But I never hear people talk about them except as an explanation for their view on the lore.

So, do you use them? What made you want to use them?

If not, what keeps you from doing it? (Feel free to just say you don't like them, or need them, I want as many honest responses as possible).
    Last edited by nofather; 12-22-2020, 02:59 AM.

I use them for inspiration. At the least they aren't tailored for my group and often seem written for the simplest mind in the gene pool, but even though I never use them as written many of my best ideas were at least sparked by one of these offerings, if not outright just being a heavily modified version of one.

Comment

I've made a lot of use from them. I see it pretty pragmatically: I paid for the book, so I want to use the material in there. Same goes for sample NPCs.

Comment

I’ve never run CoD but if I ran a game I would definitely use at least some of the published story hooks.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Games I've been in have involved the party discovering the in-world clanbook compilations and hunting a variant of Andrew the Tanner.

The game didn't get around to using it much, but we were also very much planning on using the rumor hook in Night Horrors: Count ******* Dracula where he was suggested to be the Impaler's Promethean creation rather than grandchilde.

Comment

I remember Andrew Tanner. From Shadows of the UK. Made my skin crawl.

I wish they had done something with Southampton in that book. My friend lives there. It would’ve been cool to show her.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

I use them for inspiration, but I also think they're useful as clarification for how a given element would fit into a game. I sometimes finish a section of a book and find myself thinking, "Okay, that's cool worldbuilding, but what am I supposed to do with it?" So the hooks help contextualize and pull things together, even if I don't end up actually deploying them as written.

I've been getting a lot of mileage out of the crossover stuff in Dark Eras 2 and Contagion Chronicle for this exact reason - I'm running a Demon game that also (so far) features hunters and a Promethean, so stuff like the Milton Keynes chapter of Contagion Chronicle has helped me work out how other splats relate to God-Machine nonsense and vice-versa.

Comment

I would love to see some more SAS style adventures published for CofD. Some of these books have such rich settings that I think it can be difficult for some groups to wrap their heads around the setting. Some new adventures for 2E would help with this so much.

White Wolf greenlit Onyx Path to write adventures for Masquerade 5E, so maybe there is some hope?

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                  I remember Andrew Tanner. From Shadows of the UK. Made my skin crawl.

I wish they had done something with Southampton in that book. My friend lives there. It would’ve been cool to show her.
                  Whoever Liked this post: Thank you 😊😊😊

Comment

Working...
                  X