Brainstorming a Mirror Dimension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainstorming a Mirror Dimension

Would anyone know of any mirror or mirror dimensions in mythology, specifically anything associated with dopplegangers or labyrinths of perspective ? The closest one I found was the Fauna of Mirrors from Chinese mythology, but that isn't very fleshed out. The etiäinen from Finnish mythology are a close second, but don't go into extensive detail.

There is a reference to the Hall of Mirrors in CofD page 267 and a brief mention in the CtL core book. But I don't know if they are expanded upon somewhere else.

I am trying to flesh in out into a parallel dimension. In Mage terms its a Pandemonium Emanation Realm, keyed to the Forces Arcanum. So I thought a perspective/mirror labyrinth could represent it. But I don't seem to find a good paralel in mythology to justify it and the existence of a doppleganger.

I was considering the continent of Mira from Baten Kaitos as a source of inspiration, but I am not sure of the cohesive theme/Truth that the dimension could embody (others have themes such as fire, darkness, sacrifice, potential futures, etc). The one from Dr Strange also came to mind, but that one is more focused on Space than Forces.

Thanks in advance for the help

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
    The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

Unfortunately i don t know any.
    Do you have the possibility to craft an urband legend maybe, like the Bloody mary legend?

Comment

I am not sure, because then the question is how its connected to the mirror Emanation, what is its theme or name ?

I also considered something based on the Three Kings game, but that sounded a bit like an ancient Contract with the Wyrd. It read like a relatively safe way to call denizens from its Hall of Mirrors, who being from a realm where Mind and Fate intersect, could offer powerful and almost divinatory insight. The catch is that breaking with the failsafes allows them them to pull the occultist into the Hedge. But that sounds like Mind and Fate rather than Forces and Space.

On the other hand, something like Manifold Garden or Antichamber make for experiences that are hard to translate to the tabletop. If possible, what is the theme of the Emanation? What are its paragons and possible secrets ? Why would anyone want to delve into it ? Where do Thurae manifest and what are their keys ?

Basically I am working on a mirror labyrinth mage Legacy, with powers linked to your living reflection. I have the Forces and Space Attainments done, but the lack of any connecting mirror myths has proven quite a conundrum.

The Abyssal maze from Invaders: Encounters with the Abyss is another very cool one. I was thinking of expanding upon it, linking the maze with the vanished city block from The Music of Eric Zann as a safe Wending in the Abyss. What happened to archmaster Eric Zann is a Mystery in itself. But that idea is more linked to music rather than reflections.
      Last edited by KaiserAfini; 01-07-2021, 04:36 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
      The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

Comment

Working...
      X