[Deviant] Conspiracies and Subsidiaries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Deviant] Conspiracies and Subsidiaries

I have been tooling around with the Conspiracy mechanics, and ran into a quandary.

The Conspiracy (an Evil Corporation) I am building has numerous holdings and subsidiaries. I am debating over the best way to approach this from a mechanics perspective. so far, I have -

A) The subsidiary is a Node of the Conspiracy, most likely a Temporal or Structural Node.
    ex.) Pentex is a Conspiracy that creates deviants (individuals tainted and corrupted by malevolent spirits). They operate primarily through a variety of subsidiaries (such as Endron Oil, Magadon Pharmaceuticals, and Black Dog Game Factory), making each an asset (Temporal Node) of the overall conspiracy.

or

B) Each Subsidiary is a Conspiracy in it's own right, connected to each other and the parent company by the Web of Pain.
    ex.) Magadon Pharmaceuticals operates as a Conspiracy independent of it's parent company, with it's own agenda,assets, and influence.But a Deviant hell-bent on payback that digs deep enough will find that the company that wronged them is but one head of a repellent, demon-worshipping hydra.

I am very interested to see which of these approaches (or an approach I haven't thought of) works best.

The Artificer's Workshop - A collection of Exalted Artifacts
    Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
    The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
    Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
    Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

I would suggest looking at the motives and ideologies of the different layers of this onion. A mother conspiracy uses its daughter conspiracies for its own purposes, but does not share the same fundamental outlook and goes. They have different Principles. If the mother organization and the daughter organizations are carrying out the same agenda at different levels of specificity and reach, then they are both part of a single high-Standing conspiracy.

Keeping with the Werewolf: the Apocalypse motif:
    Same Conspiracy Example: Magadon Pharmaceuticals and Endron Oil are both well staffed with executives who know that they feed malevolent spirits and help them contaminate the Earth with their malign influence in exchange for temporal wealth and power. They are nodes, or possibly even multiple nodes each, of a single very high-Standing conspiracy, the Pentex conglomerate that coordinates and directs their overall efforts.
    Separate Conspiracies Example: The various Pentex subsidiaries such as Magadon Pharmaceuticals know that they are harnessing otherworldly and potentially malign forces in flesh-twisting experiments, but the majority of their executives merely look at it practically, considering the damage done to innocent people a trade-off for capitalist success and productivity: banal evil. However, the highest echelons of these companies and the best-versed scientists and managers directing the projects are secretly united as a cult which worships these malign forces and works to strengthen them so that they may lay waste to the world and the cult may rule at their left hand. In this case, individual companies may be smaller conspiracies of their own or a single corporate conglomerate conspiracy, but either way, the Black Spiral Cult hides as a higher-Standing conspiracy threaded throughout, and likely have their hands in other pies besides their corporate arms.

Comment

Alternatively, you can look at the narrative niche you want the Conspiracy to fill. If you want the intimacy of facing down a particular branch or subsidiary (and it's leader as the short term "top dog") make it a separate part of the Web of Pain. If the subsidiary isn't the main focus or is a behaving as a smaller part of the larger whole, make it a Node.

Like, to make a deep cut to an old series, Wolfram & Hart fill a similar narrative role in Angel. Even though they are technically just another extension of the Circle of the Black Thorn, they serve as the primary antagonists throughout the show's run, so they are separate entities within the Web of Pain. If the Circle had been the day-to-day antagonists from the start and W&H was their recurring, but not always present legal division, then they would be a Node in the Circle's Conspiracy.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

Re: Conspiracies

Thanks for the feedback - this really helps me wrap my head around the Conspiracy rules!

The Artificer's Workshop - A collection of Exalted Artifacts
        Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
        The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
        Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
        Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

Working...
        X