Where is the "crunch" for Dark Eras?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the "crunch" for Dark Eras?

I've been going through the Dark Eras books and they seem to be conspicuously missing a lot of what I'd expect to find, especially with regard to equipment. There don't seem to be any sailing rules or longship stats in the viking era, for instance. The Neolithic, Hellenistic, and Three Kingdoms chapters have a handful of new weapon and armor types, but I can't find something as simple as a Norse battle axe, and there don't seem to be rules for any kind of pre-modern firearms in any of the chapters, despite there being a Hunter tactic focused on them which is simply bizarre. Shield walls are mentioned, but there are no mechanics for them. There are NPCs who will have, say, a Greatsword as part of their stat block but no actual rules for giving a player a greatsword. Am I missing something? I have the searchable PDF and I feel like I've exhausted all of the keywords that would get these to come up.

Are you only looking at Dark Eras 1 or at multiple of the books?

Comment

Hurt Locker has Battle Axes and Great Swords. Sailing got rules in the Pirate Dark Era, but as Vikings were raiders and their ships weren't actually part of battle they didn't get them.

Flintlocks were put into the Dark Eras Companion.

"Flintlocks take five turns to reload. Stats are below:
      Pistol: Damage 2, Range 15/30/60, Clip 1, Initiative -2, Strength 2, Size 2
      Musket: Damage 3, Range 30/60/120, Clip 1, Initiative -5, Strength 3, Size 4"

For the most part there's not going to be a mechanical difference between a Norse battle ax and a battle ax, as there's a wide variety of slightly different weapons with different names but ending up doing, for storytelling purposes, the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
        but as Vikings were raiders and their ships weren't actually part of battle they didn't get them.
        Except all the times that they were. It's not what longships were built for, but vikings were pragmatists and they absolutely pirated other ships when such opportunities arose. Longships were also used in combat between various norse rulers, especially when attempting to pass or protect strategic water passages. It's not the main use, but it definitely happened with some regularity.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
        X