Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When would each group have gotten to the Americas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how applicable it is to second edition, but in Cursed Necropolis: Rio, several mummies woke up in Brazil at the start of the second Sothic Turn with no idea how they got there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
      It isn't. Rather, it's just assumed that if you're old enough you'll just start forgetting stuff. It's not like vampires get any powers that improve their memory.
      I was wondering if I'd heard something like this before.

Still, seems like it affords a decent mix of a vampire possibly recalling what they were up to a few centuries back and delegating research that could shed some late.

Also probably makes it fair game for a mage to help jog their memory.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

It isn't. Rather, it's just assumed that if you're old enough you'll just start forgetting stuff. It's not like vampires get any powers that improve their memory. Superhuman Attributes (iirc Int+Comp is the Attribute Task for remembering stuff) certainly helps but only to a certain point, and 6+ Attributes are quite rare in general.
        This is an interesting change. Long term memory is complex, but in real life we don't just "forget" things because they're remote in time. Sometimes we remember a random event from childhood vividly, but forget the name of the person we shared an office with a few years back. I would expect long lived vampires to have vivid memories of their early existence, but perhaps to be more uncertain of the specifics of the intervening centuries. That said, we also misremember things all the time, depending on how we tell the story, what others tell us about the event, and so on.

Anyways, even if we reject convergent evolution and want vampire clans to each have a distinct ancestor, the Americas haven't actually been isolated that long in genetic terms. From what I've read, the major haplogroups found in the Americas, both mitochondrial and y chromosomal, are also common in Asia, and in the case of R1, even in Europe. If we take this as a model, and if we assume that, despite various origin myths, there have been vampires as long as there have been modern humans, it's perfectly reasonable to suppose that there were representatives of at least some clans in the Americas all along.

Overall, I prefer to have the major splats present from the beginning. Otherwise we're either excluding some people from the story or we're left with trying to come up with the alternative creatures that inhabit the American night. This latter project may be worthwhile, but it can also lead to the sorts of cringey stereotyping we find in books like some of the old Kindred of the East products.
        Last edited by LaughingGull; 03-20-2021, 02:11 PM. Reason: Silly spelling errors.

Comment

Though it’s not named any more the Fog still happens every once in a while. Amusingly, the more important part is it’s stated that most vampires think it happens more often than it really does and don’t put much stock in old memories as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
            Though it’s not named any more the Fog still happens every once in a while. Amusingly, the more important part is it’s stated that most vampires think it happens more often than it really does and don’t put much stock in old memories as a result.
            Just to maximize awareness of how skewed the Cacophony can throw the distribution of information, one of Rose's STV products notes that more vampires have heard of Solace (the wonder-drug that makes you feel functionally human for a night) than have heard of the Strix, but more vampires have met a Strix (knowingly or otherwise) than have encountered Solace.

2e's cut down a bit on the compartmentalization of vampiric domains across the globe, but without a shared occult root or otherworldly space to exploit, the Kindred are still very much in the dark about major chunks of their existence.

Resident Lore-Hound
            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
              more vampires have heard of Solace (the wonder-drug that makes you feel functionally human for a night) than have heard of the Strix, but more vampires have met a Strix (knowingly or otherwise) than have encountered Solace.
              Ah, hilarious.

Originally posted by Satchel
              2e's cut down a bit on the compartmentalization of vampiric domains across the globe, but without a shared occult root or otherworldly space to exploit, the Kindred are still very much in the dark about major chunks of their existence.
              I'm suddenly picturing how frustrating interviews with the vampire are for the occult researchers of the... world depicted in the Chronicles of Darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                Just to maximize awareness of how skewed the Cacophony can throw the distribution of information, one of Rose's STV products notes that more vampires have heard of Solace (the wonder-drug that makes you feel functionally human for a night) than have heard of the Strix, but more vampires have met a Strix (knowingly or otherwise) than have encountered Solace.
                And now i'm asking myself how many tales of garbled or contradicting memories associated with the Fog of Ages might in truth be some sort of mnemonic leaking from Strix possession of frenzied or torpid kindred...

Comment

I presume Mages, Beasts, Werewolves, erect where already their! Even some mummies got to go to South Ameroca

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
                    And now i'm asking myself how many tales of garbled or contradicting memories associated with the Fog of Ages might in truth be some sort of mnemonic leaking from Strix possession of frenzied or torpid kindred...
                    There's also the issue of dominate muddying memories. The Ventrue clanbook really puts a lot of implications on the history of vampires being really hard to piece together because the truth may have been forcibly altered in the minds of Kindred.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

There's also the issue of dominate muddying memories. The Ventrue clanbook really puts a lot of implications on the history of vampires being really hard to piece together because the truth may have been forcibly altered in the minds of Kindred.

Yes, yes, while that doesn't tie in such a straightforward manner with the Sleep of Ages per se, there's definitely room for a lot of that in the confused perceptions of history and unreliability of the memory of undead sleepers.

Comment

Demons: Have probably always been around in some fashion everywhere, considering the reach and temporal manipulation abilities of The God-Machine. Depending on what theory you subscribe to about what The God-Machine actually is, it might even predate humanity.

Changelings: Hobgoblins probably predate The Gentry (we know that Huntsmen, at least, existed in Arcadia before The Gentry established themselves there), and are likely responsible for many indigenous myths. Changelings themselves are probably as old as humanity, and can literally appear anywhere in the world thanks to The Hedge.

Various Hunter cells and compacts, and perhaps even a conspiracy or two, can be found wherever monsters of any kind show up in numbers large enough to be a threat to human settlements -- The Vigil has been going probably since before early hominids evolved into homo sapiens.

Deviants and Prometheans are probably parallel developments, probably arising wherever and whenever humans settled long enough to develop agriculture and animal husbandry -- any place where humans might have the social stability to start thinking about creating new technologies rather than simple subsistence and survival.

When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

I have it the Fog in 2E is an occasional glitch of whatever allows an elder to catch up quickly after emerging from torpor.

Normally, it breaks down language skills enough so the elder can relearn them, and so the Chinese guy who just awoke in America can speak English like a native after a couple days.

Sometimes, it hits more than that....

Comment

Yeah, having only recently read about the idea that vampires in Torpor experience psychic tumults that ensure they don't wake up totally out of touch to the world, I'd say it's interesting to have an approach where vampires feel a bit confused or detached from the memory of experiences that might detract from fitting into the modern day.

"So, tell me about your firsthand experience of fighting as a confederate soldier in the Civil War!"
                            "Errrrr... I think I'm better off distancing myself from the recollection of being that guy."

Comment

Working...
                            X