Giant Monsters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant Monsters?

I'm putting together an antagonistic changeling NPC for CtL 2e, and the Chrysalis contract with the Ogre perk seems like it could make for an exciting scene. The Contract-with-perk allows the character to assume the form of a real or fantastical animal up to size 15, but my trouble is that I'm scouring all the books I have access to and I can't find any stat blocks for creatures even close to that size. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions where I should be looking (books or online) either for examples of giant monsters or for rules on making them. Thanks in advance!

The fourth sticky at the top of this forum has a link to some animal stat blocks, including an elephant (size 15)

Comment

Thank you, that's really handy. Are there any other resources with dragons and such, or is this all we've got so far?

Comment

That's all I know of for second edition. First edition Changeling had monsters in Autumn Nightmares and Night Horrors: Grim Fears. Those wouldn't be directly useable but might serve as reference points.

If you're looking to make an antagonist who turns into a dragon and there aren't "canonical" dragon stats (indeed there are a few dragon themed enemies throughout CtL with wildly different stats) it's worth thinking about it from an angle of "what will be a good encounter for the players?". It wouldn't be out of line with the animal stats we do have to say ok, size 15 dragon has a +3 lethal bite, but is that kind of damage likely to kill a character before they can do anything?

Comment

We don't have a lot of fantastical animals is the thing. There might be unicorn-like hobs mentioned in some of the first edition Changeling stuff. Some of the Dark Eras books have war elephants and aurochs but with more of an emphasis on old than fantasy animals.

But thinking on it, we've had some people who put a lot of work into this thread making 'horrors' which is how you would stat that kind of thing. There's a basilisk and I believe a hydra and more that I don't recall at the moment.

Comment

*idly tosses in that one animal stat block thing released years ago*

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

That's what HelmsDerp suggested.

Comment

And this is what I get for not double checking contexts.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Thanks for the input, folks. That's given me a better foundation to build on. I also appreciate HelmsDerp's reminder to come up with stats that suit the game's needs rather than ones that "make sense" from other perspectives.

Comment

Working...
                  X