No announcement yet.

CoD: any plans for the future?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that Paradox just silently kills CoD lines. They make all the 2E corebooks cause there where corebooks announced before acquisition - made Kickstarters after it, and so the fans cannot complain 'you just dropped our game by acquisition'. They end all 2E corebooks and that will be all. The WoD line is ruling in all the way and we should not look for the new supplements for CoD. It's typical corporation practice - buy your own biggest competition ( WoD vs CoD ) and slowly kill the previous completion, making 'reforms' and 'reconstructions' that 'by mistake' 'not works'. Making CoD line is costly - from Paradox perspective, why to put money in it, when 5E WoD sells well?

I already move to Scion and Storypath, as without supplements, CoD 2E has too much holes in it to run it easily.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-19-2021, 04:43 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      I think that Paradox just silently kills CoD lines.
      There is no decisive, tangible proof to suggest that this is true at all. Frankly the sentiment with the "What's Up with Onyx Path?" panel is just consistent with what we've been told before then.

Comment

It just my feels. I change my assumptions if any new CoD product will be announced, outside of Kickstarters fulfilment.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Does Paradox have any say at all in what CoD material gets made? I thought OPP had leased the intellectual property?

Comment

Originally posted by Vintervalpen View Post
            Does Paradox have any say at all in what CoD material gets made? I thought OPP had leased the intellectual property?
            Yep. They can pitch products to be made and can veto any propositions tossed to by freelancers. It's their property, and as such all such things have to be approved by them.

THAT SAID, I don't really think Paradox particularly gets in the way or delays Chronicles-and I say this as someone who has no love lost for Paradox. They don't particularly care about it, but the attitude they've always displayed is that they see it has a fanbase and that Onyx Path knows how to curate that fanbase. Nothing about the way Chronicles has been developed has actually changed all that much in the last decade.

They don't commission stuff regularly like they do for World, which doesn't hurt or help any more than anything CCP did. Honestly, I think the answer given, that there's a lot of attention at the moment to catching up on projects they already started, is the the actual case-it IS s long laundry list.

It's easy to think of Paradox as the villain here, but sometimes the most banal reasoning is the most accurate answer.
            Last edited by ArcaneArts; 05-19-2021, 08:19 AM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Considering that new gamelines were opened for the STV not that long ago (Geist, Deviant and the Contagion, IIRC), I do not think that we can say that Paradox kills CofD- if they did, they wouldn't support it in such manner, I think. As it stands, we don't even know if it is Paradox who does not approve pitches or Onyx Path who does not pitch. At least with the STV being open freelancers and devs may add supplements through this medium if they are interested in it, but I do hope that CofD will get more attention.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

I think writers or developers pitch to Rich, who decides if it's worth catching. Then Rich either tosses it up to Paradox, or has a more fleshed out pitch set up and tosses it up then.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                  I think writers or developers pitch to Rich, who decides if it's worth catching. Then Rich either tosses it up to Paradox, or has a more fleshed out pitch set up and tosses it up then.
                  This is correct.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                  Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

There is no decisive, tangible proof to suggest that this is true at all. Frankly the sentiment with the "What's Up with Onyx Path?" panel is just consistent with what we've been told before then.
                    I share Hamster's sentiment. Of course there would be no tangible proof, there are still products being released, if there's a formal announcement it'd be a heavy hit on the sales of products yet to be released.

Historian ~ www.cronistasdastrevasbr.com

I currently ST a... MtAW 2e campaign called "Axis Mundi - Si Vis Pacem"

Comment

Well if they are secretly killing it, they're doing a bad job of it. Two of the more recent new books announced were Changeling's the Hedge and Mage's Tome of the Pentacle, neither of which were part of a Kickstarter.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                        Well if they are secretly killing it, they're doing a bad job of it. Two of the more recent new books announced were Changeling's the Hedge and Mage's Tome of the Pentacle, neither of which were part of a Kickstarter.
                        Tome of pentacle had alread been approved a long time ago - a year or 2 ago iirc -. Mage also has another book which has been previously approved, "fallen worlds" (or something like that).

I'm not so up-to-date with Changeling stuff but iirc the Hedge is also a book that had been approved back in 2019. Btw, 2019 seems to be the shifting point, cuz all we have ongoing right now or yet to be released had already been announced back then. 2 years and no genuinely new announcements... that is worrying.

Comment

If Paradox cancelled the setting they likely wouldn't care about games that were announced years ago, and Onyx Path could save time and money not holding onto the license, hiring artists and writers for them to keep up some charade and just focusing on other things.

I appreciate that it doesn't seem like Chronicles is getting as many books as I'd like, but there being a secret cancelling that still allows Kickstarters and new games and new books but doesn't allow all new books, but might because they were announced years ago by both companies which would probably be better off just announcing it and moving on is getting a little fantastical. Especially considering the extra factor of Exalted, which Paradox hasn't expressed any interest in, is a licensed property, and is also making previously unannounced projects, or making new announcements for projects.

More likely it's just a perception thing. Right now there's 14 Chronicles books at various stages of open development, including 3 core books (which are the more cost and people intensive books to make). There's 12 lines, more if you include Dark Eras and Contagion, and no supplement treadmill and a focus on trying to get the Kickstarter rewards fulfilled.
                          Last edited by nofather; 05-20-2021, 04:30 PM. Reason: Toned down

Comment

And there is a precedent of PDX canceling books after said books had already been announced by OPP.

In particular, W20 Tribebook: Bunyip.

Comment

So... I'm out of town and will be until sunday night. Has there been any mention of new stuff for any cofd line? I just downloaded the brochure aaaand... Nothing there that we haven't been aware of for the past couple of years.

Tomorrow there will be a cofd panel, right? If anyone here watches it, can you post if they talk about anything new?

Comment

The brochure doesn't have new or just announced stuff stuff. There were a few new things mentioned in the opening ceremonies that weren't on the brochure. Aether, for Trinity, which seems to be War of the Worlds and Victorian Steampunk maybe with a little Princes of Amber. And Pugmire has some Underworld thing coming that will introduce psionics (and burrowing animals, I guess).

It doesn't look good. I asked repeatedly if there was going to be any announcements for the line. A yes or no question. But was just told what we've all been told before 'Paradox needs to okay.' The same thing that happened during one of the podcast 'Ask us anything' and the same thing that happened at one of the last virtual cons. The inability to just get a straight answer is irritating and suggests a no, especially when other announcements were being made.

The Chronicles one will be on Sunday (1 PM, EST, so in about 32 hours from this post). And yes, I'll mention any new announcements (unless someone else does it first).
                                Last edited by nofather; 06-12-2021, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X