No announcement yet.

CoD: any plans for the future?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as I know there are only two cofd books that aren't in any stage of the monday blog notes which are for mtaw: fallen worlds and another one that Dave has mentioned before he left his dev post but hasn't been named yet. Both were, allegedly, already approved.

Tbh, I'm getting more and more unsure if even these will fly. And afaik, no other cofd line has yet-to-enter-monday-posts books, right?

Historian ~ www.cronistasdastrevasbr.com

I currently ST a... MtAW 2e campaign called "Axis Mundi - Si Vis Pacem"

Comment

I will just reiterate myself... ( read full original post for details ) I want to be proven wrong by OPP...

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      I think that Paradox just silently kills CoD lines. (...)
      I already move to Scion and Storypath, as without supplements, CoD 2E has too much holes in it to run it easily.
      I only add to that They Came From gamelines from Storypath have various of genres in them - and Beyond the Grave and Camp Murder Lake is basically CoD-lite.
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 06-12-2021, 08:21 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
        The brochure doesn't have new or just announced stuff stuff. There were a few new things mentioned in the opening ceremonies that weren't on the brochure. Aether, for Trinity, which seems to be War of the Worlds and Victorian Steampunk maybe with a little Princes of Amber. And Pugmire has some Underworld thing coming that will introduce psionics (and burrowing animals, I guess).
        I found the fact that Demon, Promethean, and Werewolf weren't even mentioned in the brochure to be extremely concerning. Are those lines just cancelled now?

Originally posted by nofather View Post
        It doesn't look good. I asked repeatedly if there was going to be any announcements for the line. A yes or no question. But was just told what we've all been told before 'Paradox needs to okay.' The same thing that happened during one of the podcast 'Ask us anything' and the same thing that happened at one of the last virtual cons. The inability to just get a straight answer is irritating and suggests a no, especially when other announcements were being made.
        It sounds to me like this just confirms what wyrdhamster has been saying. Either OPP aren't asking, or Paradox aren't saying yes.

Comment

We've got this con to see. Like I said, outlook not so good, but there's two panels they might make announcements. The 'Whats up with Onyx Path?' one today at 1 EST or the Chronicles of Darkness one, same time tomorrow.

Looks like I was wrong about the What's up panel, it was at noon. Seems like they just talked about Exalted, Pugmire and Scion. Exalted is also a Paradox owned property but no mention of them having to ask Paradox for anything related to it.
          Last edited by nofather; 06-12-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

While one might argue that some lines have enough 2e books as is, say... Demon, Vampire and maybe even Beast, other lines are pretty supplement starved such as Promethean and Geist.

Damn, Geist has so many things that can be covered in 2e, in particular because 1e Geist was also book starved. At the very, very least it deserves a Night Horrors of its own.

Comment

Okay. The line isn't dead. But they're not allowed to talk about possibilities. Most of the Chronicles of Darkness talk was focused on books already announced, Kith & Kin, the Hedge, Deviant Companion, Contagion Player's Guide and a little on Tome of Pentacle. Questions about other lines, you'll basically have to bug Paradox about it. Though they didn't give any address and it seems given the Leviathan DLC they'll only really respond if you tank reviews en masse. They did say there had been no pitches for a 12th line, and the (the four panelists) had no ideas for one, except Eric Zawadzki who seemed to like the idea of a new Mirrors.

The gist is that the line doesn't seem dead but Paradox does seem to be tightening the screws, if they're unable to even talk about potential future stuff. I have no idea how we'd ask Paradox anything about this. Apparently people at Paradox really liked Damnation City, which might be one of the reasons Justin Achilli was tasked with doing Vampire the Masquerade for Paradox, along with his past on the line. It's disheartening to not know anything about the health of the lines, and it's exacerbated by being told that we'd have to ask an entirely other company.
              Last edited by nofather; 06-13-2021, 02:18 PM.

Comment

We could try to just email paradox. Giving then some feedback,asking them to let Onyx Path do more books.
                We'd have to be polite about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                  We could try to just email paradox. Giving then some feedback,asking them to let Onyx Path do more books.
                  We'd have to be polite about it.
                  I'd love to know how to go about contacting them. I looked before, but wasn't able to find an email on either https://www.worldofdarkness.com/ or https://www.paradoxplaza.com/

I've been willing to forgive Paradox for quite a lot in the past with their video games, but killing CofD is enough to completely put me off them as a company.

Comment

A few days ago Ian Watson has told me over twitter that the same crew responsible for WoD IS the crew responsible for CofD.
                    Let's organize ourselves in a discord server of our own and coordinate efforts on asking these WoD folks wtf is going on with their management of CofD lines.
                    I won't be home until tomorrow, but feel free to create a server and shoot me an invite via inbox.

Or find me on opp's official server, I go by the same name there.

Comment

I dunno if I interpreted the discussion as all that doom & gloomy. They have a pretty large backlog of books in the works as it stands, it seems reasonable they'd be fully occupied at the moment.

I could see wanting to get at least Hunter, Mummy, and Deviant out the door before announcing the future books that might be a long time away or consumed by the usual churn of production problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuukale View Post
                        Let's organize ourselves in a discord server of our own and coordinate efforts on asking these WoD folks wtf is going on with their management of CofD lines.
                        I'm interested in joining the Discord on that subject to help - but not to lead it. As I written before - I'm a bit heartbroken already over CoD and moved my games to Scion.

BTW, there is Scion topic how to recreate CoD splats in it, if you are interested...

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                        LGBT+ through Ages
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

I'm interested in joining the Discord on that subject to help - but not to lead it. As I written before - I'm a bit heartbroken already over CoD and moved my games to Scion.

BTW, there is Scion topic how to recreate CoD splats in it, if you are interested...

Yeah I guess I'm not all that invested these days either. As much as I like the game writing, I find the game design of the CofD to be inelegant, irritatingly fiddly, and dated (or at least out of step with my taste in games these days). So I mostly pick up the books out of nostalgia, boredom, and to steal ideas for Urban Shadows or Monster of the Week.
                          Last edited by Professor Phobos; 06-13-2021, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Phobos View Post
                            I could see wanting to get at least Hunter, Mummy, and Deviant out the door before announcing the future books that might be a long time away or consumed by the usual churn of production problems.
                            This has been my stance as well. I'm not going to be super concerned about the future of CofD until after the remaining 2e corebooks and the Stretch Goal books are all out.

Plus, the impression I get is that the Brochures and Cons are no longer reliable when it comes to announcements. That considering past-announced books include a bevy of books that haven't appeared in the MMN (WtF's Secrets of the Tribes, Innocents 2e, etc), and per OPP's usual policy of "no announcing release dates of books until week(s) away from release", I imagine that's a tactic they want to shy away from so as not to get fans frustrated at announcing a book's existence but then hearing nothing about it for years and years.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                              This has been my stance as well. I'm not going to be super concerned about the future of CofD until after the remaining 2e corebooks and the Stretch Goal books are all out.
                              By then it might be too late, what if pdx is just waiting for the current books to go through the pipeline to formally shut it down at the end? This is corporate 101.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuukale View Post

By then it might be too late, what if pdx is just waiting for the current books to go through the pipeline to formally shut it down at the end? This is corporate 101.
                                There's a point where healthy concern descends into doomcrying and this is getting well past the line.

It's been a rough couple years for the world and RPGs in general have been slow for years. Chill.

Resident Lore-Hound
                                Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Working...
                                X