CoD: any plans for the future?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoD: any plans for the future?

Is there anything new planned for the CoD from Onyx Path?

There are a few Kickstarter achieved products which are at work. If there is anything beside the products we already know about (most of which are already being at the MMN), we'll probably see them at the coming brochure for the next year

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

I am eager to see what game line they have planned to follow Deviant. I'm struggling to think of an idea for a game line that's both enticing enough to stand alone and not redundant with a line that already exists... although maybe that speaks more to my own lack of creativity than anything else. XD

Maybe something like Alien? Whether your character comes from space, an alternate reality, another plane of existence (maybe one that already exists in CoD or one that's heretofore unheard of), or otherwise, you're playing as someone or something that's just not native to Earth as we know it. Goals could involve trying to assimilate yourself into humanity as best you can, trying to find a way to return to your home, or even taking over or bringing more of your own people here. Maybe not every Alien is somebody who was accidentally stranded, lost, or fled as a refugee, they could also come here as would-be conquerors or terraformers.

Comment

Originally posted by RuNoMai View Post
        I am eager to see what game line they have planned to follow Deviant. I'm struggling to think of an idea for a game line that's both enticing enough to stand alone and not redundant with a line that already exists... although maybe that speaks more to my own lack of creativity than anything else. XD

Maybe something like Alien? Whether your character comes from space, an alternate reality, another plane of existence (maybe one that already exists in CoD or one that's heretofore unheard of), or otherwise, you're playing as someone or something that's just not native to Earth as we know it. Goals could involve trying to assimilate yourself into humanity as best you can, trying to find a way to return to your home, or even taking over or bringing more of your own people here. Maybe not every Alien is somebody who was accidentally stranded, lost, or fled as a refugee, they could also come here as would-be conquerors or terraformers.
        Wait for the Clade Companion when it comes out before pitching Alien.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

if we're talking hopeful future plans.

I'm far more interested in companion/supplement books for the second edition lines rather then whole new game lines.
          I don't know the metrics on how well supplemental books sell, but i have full collections for Promethean, Changeling, Hunter, Geist Demon, and Mummy. (even though the last three especially Geist are a little light on published material.)
          Way back i used to think that each line (other the the big three) would get four supplements and to me that seemed perfect.

Second edition is obviously tricky because many people don't want to buy books that are basically doubles of books they own, so you can't retread the old ground step for step. but at the same time wild deviations can also devalue the usefulness of first edition books or just alienate fans.
          I have always treated the NWoD as a tool box and believe the second edition needs to lean into that more then it has been. In my mind second edition should be updates and variations rather then reprints and overwrites.

This is all just my musings though. I've supported the NWoD for ten plus years and I'm looking forward to them pulling out of this slump.

Comment

Originally posted by basketcase View Post
            Second edition is obviously tricky because many people don't want to buy books that are basically doubles of books they own, so you can't retread the old ground step for step. but at the same time wild deviations can also devalue the usefulness of first edition books or just alienate fans.
            The good news is that OPP seems to be on the same line of thinking as you.

They said that for CofD 2e, they try to avoid as much as they can going the route of "convert 1e thing to 2e thing" with books. Granted, for stuff like a particular 1e Bloodline that doesn't have an official 2e write up, that means you're the one stuck with trying to convert it over.

Either way, at least good to know that for future books they try to focus on new Stuff.

Comment

I just want werewolf and vampire and mage and all the books.

Comment

As a Storyteller, the Night Horrors books have all been great, I would love to see more of them.

I hope that Werewolf gets some more love. Forsaken changed more between 1e and 2e than either Requiem or Awakening in my opinion, so porting over 1e material is much more difficult. The situation with Lodges is particularly bad, right now there are only 4 playable 2e Lodges (Temple of Apollo is not going to be appropriate in most games, and even Eaters of the Dead are stretching acceptability quite a bit). I'm not saying that I want all the 1e Lodges updated, but it feels like the Tribal Pillars at least should get that treatment, and I would love to see more brand new 2e Lodges. There are a few other mechanical gaps in Forsaken 2e - alternate Moon gifts are hinted at, but we only have 1 example so far from the blog, and it would be nice to get more Wolf Gifts since these are a new concept with 2e, but so far we only have 3 examples (plus a fourth from the blog).

Comment

Originally posted by Aurumae View Post
                  As a Storyteller, the Night Horrors books have all been great, I would love to see more of them.

I hope that Werewolf gets some more love. Forsaken changed more between 1e and 2e than either Requiem or Awakening in my opinion, so porting over 1e material is much more difficult. The situation with Lodges is particularly bad, right now there are only 4 playable 2e Lodges (Temple of Apollo is not going to be appropriate in most games, and even Eaters of the Dead are stretching acceptability quite a bit). I'm not saying that I want all the 1e Lodges updated, but it feels like the Tribal Pillars at least should get that treatment, and I would love to see more brand new 2e Lodges. There are a few other mechanical gaps in Forsaken 2e - alternate Moon gifts are hinted at, but we only have 1 example so far from the blog, and it would be nice to get more Wolf Gifts since these are a new concept with 2e, but so far we only have 3 examples (plus a fourth from the blog).
                  I have the same feeling. I've had quite a few WtF1st chronicles and I'm thrilled by the changes in the 2nd but I feel I risk porting in a bad way the knowledge and experience I have gained in these years. I'd like more on spirits and the hisil, instead

Comment

I'd love a Night Horrors book aimed at the core line's "mostly regular people investigating the supernatural" theme. Fill it with gruesome ghosts, goblins, and ghouls who don't fit into the social monster books.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Phobos View Post
                      I'd love a Night Horrors book aimed at the core line's "mostly regular people investigating the supernatural" theme. Fill it with gruesome ghosts, goblins, and ghouls who don't fit into the social monster books.
                      That would be cool. Maybe we'll get something like that for Hunter 2e?

Comment

When it comes to Night Horrors books, I really hope that we get one for Changeling: The Lost 2E. I really enjoyed the Night Horrors book for first edition Changeling.

Comment

Future plans didn't come up in the What's Up With Onyx Path table beyond the stuff we already know, Deviant and Mummy are almost out, Hunter's next, they've got some supplements.

Comment

That sounds disappointing...

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                              That sounds disappointing...
                              It is. They've explained two things that happen to cause it. One, they don't seem able to put things on the list until it's been given an okay by Paradox. And two, they're putting a lot of effort into finishing the Kickstarter fulfillments. It's understandable, Mummy, Deviant, Hunter, all are cores which require a lot of work.

But the Paradox thing is a big mystery. Like we don't know if Paradox is saying no to everything, or if nothing's being pitched for Chronicles. Or both.

Still, 'dropping the line' seems a far fetched fear. It's profits, they know the line. If Paradox was refusing everything, then they'd have no reason to keep up the license, as well. And if either were happening they'd probably make an announcement about it.

So it seems like stuff is just going slow while they focus on the big books coming out. And they may make some announcements during the upcoming Con. Ideally (for us) they'll be Chronicles stuff. Could certainly use more Werewolf the Forsaken content and I'm sure fans of other games want more of theirs.

From this Monday Meeting blog post, 'I do know that we’ll be having the latest in the “What’s Up With Onyx Path?” panels, and for those of you who love announcements, you’ll be thrilled to know that we’ll be announcing some awesome new projects at the panel!' And it was already in bold. Plus they're getting a brochure out. While the Chronicles sections of the brochure seem to shrink every time we see them in favor of all the new games (and old games) maybe we'll get some new stuff. Can only hope.
                              Last edited by nofather; 05-19-2021, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X