Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What CofD Game would you create?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What CofD Game would you create?

    i'm curious,if you had to pitch a new cofd game,or create one entirely from scratch what would it be?

  • #2
    Aliens? Time travelers?
    Adventurers (as in, the dungeon-crawl genre)?

    Maybe a redux of the Ferals (Changing Breeds) and the Possessed (Inferno) from 1E. Though in my current headcanon the former are uplifted animals and the true identity of the ‘planetary angels of Gaia itself’ mentioned in Shunned By the Moon, and the latter are a subset of ‘fallen’ Beasts.


    MtAw Homebrew:
    Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
    New 2E Legacies, expanded

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
      Aliens? Time travelers?
      Adventurers (as in, the dungeon-crawl genre)?

      Maybe a redux of the Ferals (Changing Breeds) and the Possessed (Inferno) from 1E. Though in my current headcanon the former are uplifted animals and the true identity of the ‘planetary angels of Gaia itself’ mentioned in Shunned By the Moon, and the latter are a subset of ‘fallen’ Beasts.
      Fascinating ideas. I've been craving some of that stuff for a while now

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
        Aliens? Time travelers?
        Adventurers (as in, the dungeon-crawl genre)?

        Maybe a redux of the Ferals (Changing Breeds) and the Possessed (Inferno) from 1E. Though in my current headcanon the former are uplifted animals and the true identity of the ‘planetary angels of Gaia itself’ mentioned in Shunned By the Moon, and the latter are a subset of ‘fallen’ Beasts.
        Time-traveling alien dungeon-crawlers possessed by demonic shapechangers? Sounds doable?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

          Time-traveling alien dungeon-crawlers possessed by demonic shapechangers? Sounds doable?
          Well we can have Visitors (1E Immortals/2E Mummy) raiding Mummy tombs…


          MtAw Homebrew:
          Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
          New 2E Legacies, expanded

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

            Time-traveling alien dungeon-crawlers possessed by demonic shapechangers? Sounds doable?
            i'm in, what would be the title?

            Comment


            • #7
              To build on what others mentioned above, since it's actually pretty close to something I proposed in another thread:

              Alien: The Other

              Characters are not necessarily from space (although that is definitely one of the available options), but could also be displaced from another time, an alternate reality, or another plane of existence. The thing that matters is that despite existing on the CofD version of Earth, they're not actually from the world they now inhabit. One way or another, it's strange to them.

              The reason they wound up on CofD Earth could vary as well, but the important thing is that they can't go back. They could be here entirely on accident, they could have willingly come here to explore but became stuck, sent here in exile as a form of punishment, or they could be refugees who view CofD Earth as "safer" than their home.

              Antagonists could be other Aliens who have come to hunt them down, or are competing for the same territory, resources, or people that the player Aliens have connections with. Or human/supernatural organizations who are aware of the Aliens and want them gone.

              Power sets could in theory depend on what type of Alien the character is. If you're from space, then you have different biology from humans, and your abilities would reflect that. From another time, you have access to advanced technology and knowledge. Alternate reality, your existence causes CofD Earth to "break" around you, allowing you to twist things in your favor. Another plane of existence, you could have abilities that reflect your true nature, such as Numina for an Alien whose natural state is Twilight.
              Last edited by RuNoMai; 09-07-2021, 09:59 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                i'm curious,if you had to pitch a new cofd game,or create one entirely from scratch what would it be?
                I plan on doing the SCP Foundation and currently have Pokémon almost done. I also have a half-way through adaptation of the Lantern Corps somewhere on my PC.


                #NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                #AutismPride
                She/her pronouns

                Comment


                • #9
                  "Essence of Darkness." A lighter, more accessible variant of the CofD, streamlining and cutting mechanics and settings down to essential elements. Using Deviant's power building as a foundation and some of the other build-a-thing stuff, Contagion Chronicle crossover material, etc, to create a toolkit-approach-ground-up take on the core ideas of the CofD as a whole.

                  By necessity you'd have to cut a lot of setting material to collapse everyone into a build-your-own-human-turned-monster-in-a-secret-occult-horror-world so I'd envision it as a sibling game line, quasi-separated.
                  Last edited by Professor Phobos; 09-08-2021, 11:37 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I wouldn't create a new one; I'd create supplements for the existing ones.
                    Last edited by Vintervalpen; 09-15-2021, 03:38 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Professor Phobos View Post
                      "Essence of Darkness." A lighter, more accessible variant of the CofD, streamlining and cutting mechanics and settings down to essential elements. Using Deviant's power building as a foundation and some of the other build-a-thing stuff, Contagion Chronicle crossover material, etc, to create a toolkit-approach-ground-up take on the core ideas of the CofD as a whole.

                      By necessity you'd have to cut a lot of setting material to collapse everyone into a build-your-own-human-turned-monster-in-a-secret-occult-horror-world so I'd envision it as a sibling game line, quasi-separated.
                      I could actually really dig a distilled/Chronicles-lite product.

                      FOr those saying Alien, again I say wait for the Clade Companion. Once you apply the Outsider Form to Deviant's themes and possibilities, it really solidly covers a lot of the narratives you'd want from the subject matter.


                      Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                      Feminine pronouns, please.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Such amazing suggestions everyone!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                          I could actually really dig a distilled/Chronicles-lite product.

                          FOr those saying Alien, again I say wait for the Clade Companion. Once you apply the Outsider Form to Deviant's themes and possibilities, it really solidly covers a lot of the narratives you'd want from the subject matter.
                          Yeah; Deviant really does seem to be the “…and the rest” gameline. Not to say that there's nothing else to be done; just that it's really hard to think of anything not covered (directly or adjacently) by the existing eleven.


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post

                            Yeah; Deviant really does seem to be the “…and the rest” gameline. Not to say that there's nothing else to be done; just that it's really hard to think of anything not covered (directly or adjacently) by the existing eleven.
                            I wouldn't neccesarily say that it's supposed to be "the rest", because Deviant has a lot more specificity than that-it's too red blooded, too interpersonally connected, and too centered on conspiracies, as a few short hand examples(there's many more), to be "The Rest" gameline. Beast is more the "And the Rest" gameline than Deviant is. And I'd still contend that niether of those is "the rest" gameline, becuase a "the rest" is basically a GURPs game and I don't know anyone who wants to make anything so flavorless and boring.

                            But if you think about the sort of directly alien* stories out there that you would want to see in a Chronicles of Darkness perspective**, a lot of them neatly line up with the Deviant model, including blending in imperfectly, possibly having strange powers or urges that occasionally get out of control, organizations keeping an eye out for them to advance in myriad ways, and aliens running or fighting back, either as advance troops or spies or just through the dumb luck of being there, all the while developing close connections that allow them to slip by and work things out while they're doing whatever it is they need to do ,and a whole lot more. THe Outsider Form allows for the one missing thing, being Alien-or-Other being afflicted with humanity for [insert purpose here] by [insert offending party here], but not being wholly human in the process.

                            Hell, with other Forms, you can even do The Cat From Outer Space, Dogstar, or Flight of the Navigator.

                            I will say this, I didn't write the Outsider Form to try and end the requests for an Alien splat (That's impossible in any scenario but an Alien book being announced, because People Be Like That, and also that would be a dick move-I'm not here to shut down fansplats)-but I did write it with the hope that Alien pitches after the fact might be really good to warrant the jump.

                            *So no Mars Attack or Independence Day.
                            **Because we have Changeling and Demon for a lot of the stories you might want to already tell, and Deviant rounds out the lot. If there's an alien narrative you want to tell in Chronicles after the fact, it's a very niche story.


                            Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                            Feminine pronouns, please.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Two points: first, I recall the original Deviant developer saying that one of his design goals was to make Deviant so flexible that it could be used as a sort of catch-all for the various monster types that don't fit the other splats. The fact that it can handle everything from the Invisible Man and the Island of Doctor Moreau to Robocop and Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a testament to this.

                              Second, a well-designed gameline can largely cover the ground claimed by a fansplat. I definitely see Deviant doing this with at least three of them: Princess, Alien, and Genius. However, I don't see this as an attempt to “squash” the fansplats; they can continue to exist as unofficial alternate takes on the monster types they deal with, and they're exactly as valid after Deviant came out as they were before it did.

                              IMHO, Deviant's role in the Chronicles of Darkness is similar to the role that Exigents play in Exalted: want to play a monster that doesn't fit into any of the other ten monster types, but without having to build a whole new fansplat in order to do it? Chances are really good that you'll be able to frame it in a way that fits into Deviant. That's what I meant by Deviant being “and the rest”.

                              Bringing this back on topic for the thread: the versatility of Deviant means that going forward, the motive for a fansplat is no longer going to be “here's this monster type that doesn't have a place in the Chronicles of Darkness; what would be an interesting way to bring it in?” but rather “here's a type of story that's suitable for the Chronicles of Darkness but doesn't currently have anything to cover it in the existing gamelines; what monster type could we use to address it?”
                              Last edited by Dataweaver; 09-20-2021, 08:04 PM.


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X