Combining the Worlds of Darkness both Old and New/Chronicles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining the Worlds of Darkness both Old and New/Chronicles

In my trawlings across the webs I came across this mighty and respectable attempt at fusing the two universes: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thre...roject.568684/
    Here is a link to where he discusses the various splats: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thre.../post-13732863

And off course, the obligatory wiki: https://nwodrevisedproject.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

Sadly, it was left unfinished. I wonder if anyone here is interested in restarting this? Or perhaps you had your own ideas on a crossover/fusion?

I think its a very interesting idea, don't really have the skills to do that though.

Comment

Closest thing I did to this was to set the Worlds of Darkness as the Time Before in Awakening. And that’s ‘worlds’ — any and every edition of all the gamelines.

… Including the New World of Darkness, ie. CofD 1e. Thyrsus sometimes end up summoning lycanthropic wraiths born from an impossible sin.

MtAw Homebrew:
      Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
      New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

While I do think about making a CofD/WoD fusion, my thought process tends more towards adapting the WoD entities alongside the CofD entities, instead of literally fusing them together. So for example, you will have the regular Requiem Kindred which represents the many different origins of vampirism, and among them (as a "Wicked Dead" of some sort) you'll have those strange vampires which have their power decaying from generation to generation as the will of their progenitors still lives in them and directs their actions, or while you'll have the children of Father Wolf hunting throughout the Shadow there will be other Changing Breeds which serve the hidden Mother Earth as well as a alien, cosmic trinity of creation, stasis and destruction which holds sway on large spirit courts, or that certain ghosts manage to preserve their souls after death and build great empires in the Twilight beyond the sandstorm which slowly decay and fall into the hungry mouth of the Underworld. Things like that.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

In that vein, the Awakened refer to themselves as the Supernal Mages, and often deal with strange cousins that they call Phenomenal Mages, whose Daemons have somehow seized upon a power to manipulate the Fallen World directly without the use of Supernal Symbols.

The Lost look on with trepidation at a strange fusion of Charlatan and Fetch, outcasts from Arcadia who have joined with humanity. The Begotten also have a strained relationship with these children of the Bright Dream.

In 1999, a particular strain of Devoted Deviants appeared, all Coactives who were imbued by a Conspiracy of ephemeral entities with an enmity toward the supernatural world and a desire to hunt down all of the monsters in the shadows. They have largely died off, but a few remain.

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
            While I do think about making a CofD/WoD fusion, my thought process tends more towards adapting the WoD entities alongside the CofD entities, instead of literally fusing them together. So for example, you will have the regular Requiem Kindred which represents the many different origins of vampirism, and among them (as a "Wicked Dead" of some sort) you'll have those strange vampires which have their power decaying from generation to generation as the will of their progenitors still lives in them and directs their actions, or while you'll have the children of Father Wolf hunting throughout the Shadow there will be other Changing Breeds which serve the hidden Mother Earth as well as a alien, cosmic trinity of creation, stasis and destruction which holds sway on large spirit courts, or that certain ghosts manage to preserve their souls after death and build great empires in the Twilight beyond the sandstorm which slowly decay and fall into the hungry mouth of the Underworld. Things like that.
            I do like your idea for the changing breeds and Wraiths. However, you seem to go out of your way to make the Canites special snowflakes. I think WoD 3.0 handles that much better: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thre...equiem.568945/

As for the Supernal Realms I do think it gives a good interpretation here:
            https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thre.../post-13742404
            https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thre.../post-13732795

Comment

Like, Requiem is full of "special snowflakes"- Wicked Dead and Spilled Blood have a fair share of those, so having a different type of vampirism uncovered by the Clans is already established in the setting. Again, I prefer coexistence over fusion, but that's personal preference.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by ryu238 View Post
                I do like your idea for the changing breeds and Wraiths. However, you seem to go out of your way to make the Canites special snowflakes. I think WoD 3.0 handles that much better: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thre...equiem.568945/

As for the Supernal Realms I do think it gives a good interpretation here:
                https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thre.../post-13742404
                https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thre.../post-13732795
                I think both WoDs present very interesting but different settings, and fusing them the way they tried simply isn't my thing.

And in that vein, any of the two Kindred would be very special snowflakes in the other's midst. The Masquerade Cainites have this particularity of their connection to their progenitors and stable Blood Potency according to Generation. But a Requiem Kindred will reach the equivalent to 3rd generation just by living 450 years... no Diablerie is necessary and they can accelerate the process with XP. So, who's more special?

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                #AutismPride
                She/her pronouns

Comment

I think the Mage stuff suffers from being pre-M20, and Awakening 2e. Like, it'll need real reworking, plus the original point of filling in CofD history with WoD material isn't so useful now that we basically have a pretty elaborate history of Awakening mages; and frankly it tends to be a bit more... thoughtful(?) than Ascension ever was (although I've not yet properly read Victorian Mage, so that may well be more inline with CofD).

That said, I'm fond of using the paradigm building system from M20 with Awakening Mages.

Comment

The core goal of this project was sounder in 2011. Back then we only had V20 and nWoD was still too close to its parents. And even then I don't think it was sufficiently justified. Today both lines are stand well on their own feet, the 20th anniversary editions make for sound support for WoD, and it is hard for any combining effort to produce something as interesting as what they have to offer. It's hard to see what would be the point of this project in the proposed scale and most things would have to be rewritten anyway to account for developments since then.

I do think a proposal for a new setting could be welcomed, but it would need a better reasoning than "let's mash the two together because the lore doesn't satisfies me".

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                    #AutismPride
                    She/her pronouns

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      I think the Mage stuff suffers from being pre-M20, and Awakening 2e. Like, it'll need real reworking, plus the original point of filling in CofD history with WoD material isn't so useful now that we basically have a pretty elaborate history of Awakening mages; and frankly it tends to be a bit more... thoughtful(?) than Ascension ever was (although I've not yet properly read Victorian Mage, so that may well be more inline with CofD).
                      True, this was written in 2011, and alot of things have changed. Still, I kinda do like how the Supernal is presented, and their take on demons has a bit of Beast: The Primordial to it before it was a thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X