Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Deviant] Symbiote and Alternate Persona

Hello!

Hopefully I'm going to play a Deviant chronicle soon. I'm here to ask if Symbiote form, and the Alternate Persona scar are compatible or not.

Thank you.

I do not see anything indicating that they are not compatible. What prompted this question?

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Demon: the Descent 1e

Comment

Well, for what I can recall the rulebook say the symbiote never take control over the host. But what if the character willingly allow the symbiote to be on control?
      Last edited by Ipergigio; 05-23-2022, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
        Well, for what I can recall the rulebook say the symbiote never take control over the host. But what if the character willingly allow the symbiote to be on control?
        That would be best represented by having the Symbiote Form and the Alternate Persona Scar.

The point of the sidebar on page 90 is to explain the distinction between the different types of "fusion"/coexistences a Deviant can be composed of, not to prevent them from being mixed and matched at all.

Resident Lore-Hound
        Currently Consuming: Demon: the Descent 1e

Comment

Thank you, now I understand it better.

An extra-question: if the symbiote is an angel or a spirit, do you think it can still have access to it's numina and manifestations?
          Last edited by Ipergigio; 05-24-2022, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Thank you, now I understand it better.

An extra-question: if the symbiote is an angel or a spirit, do you think it can still have access to it's numina and manifestations?
            Not within the context of Deviant as stands.

Comment

But certainly Merits could be used to model them well enough.
              If you, as player, have no control over them, it could be fine as something entirely left to ST discretion to use. Perhaps with Beat rewards when they are used against your character's interests.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

I whas thinking about the angel/spirit to be able to manifest as usual and activate it's numina if needed and act more or less like a familiar.

Comment

I whas thinking about the angel/spirit to be able to manifest as usual and activate it's numina if needed and act more or less like a familiar.
                  The answer is: If you hombrew it. Otherwise it's a solid no. The symbiote does not have any stats other than 1-3 Aspirations. It exclusively expresses itself as a foreign will with some influence over a Deviant's power.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Mmm... last shoot!

Let's say the ephemeral creature can manifest into the Twilight but all it's original powers are gone and it's forced to stay around the deviant... do you think a Storyteller may allow this compromise?

Comment

Depending on what you want your character's powers to be, what you want the bound entity's powers to be, and what threat level you would be playing at, you could just model whatever Numina you want the entity to have using Variations, and say that they are being used on your character's behalf when they are activated, rather than having them only be accessible when the familiar is in possession of your character's body. And if you want them to be only available when the familiar is in control, you can just apply the Superior Persona Deviation and entangle those Variations with the Alternate Persona Scar.

Deviant is a game more interested in using its system to model as many ideas as possible, and when an idea does not strictly work using its rules, I think it encourages bending things a little to make the game more fun and fit player's concepts. So, assuming your Storyteller is not someone who only uses RAW, then I have faith you can come to some kind of compromise!

Consistently Inconsistent
                      Website
                      She/Her

Comment

My concept is about a man who was a guinea pig for some mad research about astral traveling. His consciousness got sucessfully sent into the Twilight or any other ephemeral dimension, but something went wrong and he came back to the physical world with an uninvited host within his body...
                        Last edited by Ipergigio; 05-24-2022, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X