Thread of Many Worlds: Fanmade Otherworldly Realms Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread of Many Worlds: Fanmade Otherworldly Realms Thread

I would really love it if Onyx Path would make a Book of Many Worlds. A product that collected all the alternate worlds/dimensions already given in the books a portrayal like Book of the Dead, that explains how to access them and use them for any sort of chronicle and all the gamelines. They should also do a Book of the Shadow, that will concentrate on making the Shadow an interesting playable option like Book of the Dead did for the Underworld. The Shadow in the early NWOD was concentrated on as too much of a place you shouldn’t go because NWOD is for playing in the Real World.
    But it should present the Shadow, the Hedge, the Inferno, a bit of the Underworld (probably a small section since it has its own book), the Abyss, the Astral, and even Dreams and realms touching on the Supernal. And the misc . realms like the Prince of 100,000 Leaves, Infrastructure/Interstitial Places, and the Duat.

But as for this thread I’m thinking it would be really cool to make a thread of fanmade otherworldy places you can use in games. So please feel free to detail your idea as much as you want or even return to it later. Or if you only have a seed of an idea for a location go with that. If you have a set of rules that work different in your realm list those as well.
    And feel free to portray a local even if it contradicts another portrayal in the books, such as your own version of Astral, Dreams, or the Underworld.

Does this sound like a good idea?

And if I suggest a format for detailing a world, list the Realm's Rules, and possible connections to other realms, and if you really want a section on plots hooks to involve the Realm in different games.
    Last edited by Eldagusto; 11-20-2013, 06:33 PM.

It is a time for great deeds!

Eh Book of Spirits seemed to cover the Shadow pretty well to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rani Neferet View Post
      Eh Book of Spirits seemed to cover the Shadow pretty well to me.
      Not really for me, only part of it is even dedicated to the Shadow, and it is mostly from various mortal points of view misinterpreting as hell or purgatory. Book of the Dead meanwhile actually describes locations, detailing specific Dead Kingdoms, and gives advice on handling travel in stories. Book of Spirits is one of those Earlier NWOD books that do not describe many supernaturals. It also is rather conservative with not rocking the boat, as if the authors don't really want experiment with what is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        Not really for me, only part of it is even dedicated to the Shadow, and it is mostly from various mortal points of view misinterpreting as hell or purgatory. Book of the Dead meanwhile actually describes locations, detailing specific Dead Kingdoms, and gives advice on handling travel in stories. Book of Spirits is one of those Earlier NWOD books that do not describe many supernaturals. It also is rather conservative with not rocking the boat, as if the authors don't really want experiment with what is possible.
        One of those earlier nWoD books from ​three years and five gamelines into the game, yes.

Book of the Dead describes Dead Dominions because the Underworld does not correspond on a near-one-to-one ratio with the material world and there's only so much space you can fill with "the most resonant local funerary traditions color the Autochthonous Depths accessed from a given location." When you enter the Shadow from Manhattan you are in Shadow-Manhattan.

Resident Lore-Hound
        Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

The various Changeling books are great at describing the Hedge and dreams.

Also the Book of the Spirits is pretty good at detailing how other supernaturals deal with the spirit. About all it excludes are Sin-Eaters, Mummies and Demons.

I imagine the Duat and Infrastructure will be established further in Mummy and Demon books (though to be sure, since the developers do seem to check the forums, I'd suggest posting a lot about it in their respective forums). Considering only Mages really deal with the Abyss and Supernal it would be kind of useless for other splats.
          Last edited by nofather; 11-20-2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
            The various Changeling books are great at describing the Hedge and dreams.

Also the Book of the Spirits is pretty good at detailing how other supernaturals deal with the spirit. About all it excludes are Sin-Eaters, Mummies and Demons.

I imagine the Duat and Infrastructure will be established further in Mummy and Demon books (though to be sure, since the developers do seem to check the forums, I'd suggest posting a lot about it in their respective forums). Considering only Mages really deal with the Abyss and Supernal it would be kind of useless for other splats.
            Yes I know the Hedge and dreams have been explained. I'm just saying it would nice to have book that presents most of these places in a manner where you can insert them in all chronicles, for instance the Hedge like Avernian Gates has a number of keys that can open specific spots to anyone. And book of Spirits was more about Spirits then the Shadow. For instance should we just never have done a Book of the Dead because we have Ghost Stories as a product?

And I'm thinking about proximity realms that draw upon the symbolism of the Supernal without necessarily being on the Supernal side of the Abyss.

Comment

Most of them are presented to be specific to individual lines, rather than appropriate for all. While they might have fringe rules for crossover, they are fringe rules. Most of them are extremely inhospitable to those of other splats.

The only real exception to the inaccessibility is when mage crosses with them, as they can go both into the shadow and the underworld, and dreams(I think).

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                One of those earlier nWoD books from ​three years and five gamelines into the game, yes.

Book of the Dead describes Dead Dominions because the Underworld does not correspond on a near-one-to-one ratio with the material world and there's only so much space you can fill with "the most resonant local funerary traditions color the Autochthonous Depths accessed from a given location." When you enter the Shadow from Manhattan you are in Shadow-Manhattan.
                The Penumbra was the same in the CWOD but it wasn't closed off and said okay we know all we ever will need to no about, so don't try to explore it in your chronicles except as a dangerous place.

There is plenty you can do with the shadow. Its not an exact mirror of the material world, there are places that shouldn't exist, and newer constructs are missing and it has friggin magical spirits instead of people and animals. The Shadow of Manhattan could have a 13th floor of the Hospital ,that doesn't exist in the material, with files on surgeries that no one ever performed. It has streets absent of people yet filled with spirits. Gateways to other realms also exist, and pathways used by spirits as well. They worked really well in the CWOD, the Umbra was an excellent setting. If you go to the Parthenon's Shadow and talk to a mighty spirit that takes the form of an Owl you could probably hear some mighty interesting gossip from it about millenia past. You're being willfully banal to just say ignore the Shadow, everything that needs to be said on it has been said. If you go to the site of Father Wolf's murder I'll bet the Shadow of the site would be pretty damn interesting.

Anyways this is supposed to be thread for contributing ideas to use in games. If you guys want to discuss how the books should never expand upon the Shadow we can do it in another thread. If you want to post a setting no matter how large of small, by all means post it here.

Comment

You're being willfully banal to just say ignore the Shadow
                  And now we've sunk to putting words in people's mouths and outright ignoring material the books presented — thirteenth floors and other places-that-aren't were things Book of Spirits covered. This is the opposite of encouraging to your further involvement in your own discussion.

The Shadow is incredibly variable from location to location and the only things that you could really directly focus on that wouldn't be better placed in a setting-book like Shadows of the U.K. or Hunting Ground: The Rockies happen to be the homes of gods. Book of Spirits isn't obligated to have an equivalent chapter to Equinox Road's Faerie section.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

"thirteenth floors and other places-that-aren't were things Book of Spirits covered. "

I'm not ignoring these, I'm specifically bringing them up as actually interesting parts of the Shadow that shows we can have all sorts of creative anomalies. You were the one saying the Shadow of Manhattan is exactly like Manhattan so we don't ever need to discuss it.

I never said Book of Spirits is obligated to have anything, I was saying we should get a new Book on the Shadow.

Once again I'm politely asking if you want to continue this discussion can we do so on another thread?

Comment

You were the one saying the Shadow of Manhattan is exactly like Manhattan so we don't ever need to discuss it.
                      I did not say this. I said that entering the Shadow from Manhattan puts you in Shadow-Manhattan.

In case that is too unclear?

That means the Shadow of Manhattan is a distinct entity derived from the history and resonance of that borough of the city of New York with its own ecosystem, plot hooks, and dramatis personae.

And while this makes it a unique locale, it is no more notably unique than any other locale in the Shadow without the added focus a setting-book imparts, which is beyond the scope of the bluebook on spirits and the Shadow as general phenomena. What Book of Spirits gives you instead are the tools to construct a detailed ecosystem of the Shadow of Manhattan to suit the needs of your game.

A book on the abodes of the gods would be neat. It wouldn't be "a new book on the Shadow," though, because that's more the domain of global- or cosmic-tier books like Equinox Road or Imperial Mysteries.

Disregarding the utility of a book on a largely materially-correspondent realm to yodel about how we need more places-that-aren't and claim that anyone who doesn't agree is "willfully banal" is the opposite of conducive to discussion about hypothetical otherworlds or filters applied to existing otherworlds.

Speaking of which…

The Spiral Arm
                      The Milky Way has a place in the mythology of several cultures — sometimes as an obstacle to a goal, other times as a trail or marker. The Spiral Arm is technically both.

Astrologers can traverse great distances using the Spiral Arm; by following the right stars in there right order and making an effort of will, a prospective traveler eventually finds themself on a sandbar extending into a vast iridescent ocean that carries hundreds of tiny pearls on and off the sands with each wave. In each pearl is a tableau that the astrologer can reach by carrying the pearl with them to the end of the shoal. The problem, as the handfuls of lingering bones attest, is that upon examining any of the pearls closely enough to see the scene contained within it, looking back the way one came to the Spiral Arm reveals the path back to one's departure point has vanished, and the only way out is forward.

Finding a pearl that depicts the desired destination is an extended Intelligence + Survival roll, with each roll costing a point of Willpower and representing thirty minutes' searching; the roll is penalized by one die for each dot of Occult below 3 and one die for every die one's Wits+Composure pool falls short of seven dice, and the target number of successes set to one for a random point on Earth, four for one's original departure point, seven for a place the character has been to before, and ten for a place the character knows of but has never been to.

A character who runs out of Willpower on the Spiral Arm rolls Resolve+Composure; the character loses time in total of [successes-5] hours and regains one point of Willpower to spend on further attempts to find a suitable pearl.

Characters emerge from the Spiral Arm in a location within sight of the scene depicted in the pearl they took (which is invariably dropped at some point between departure and arrival) in a manner that generally hides their arrival.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

See that wasn't so hard Satchel, was it?

Comment

Okay I guess I should probably have started this thread off with an example instead of waiting for some. Well I just made a random example, so point out any clarifications or errors you find.

Stairways of Creation
                          There are some places in the world that are swollen with potential. Some may recognize this as a place of power. Spirits may flock to it and sup upon its bounty. Some may dedicate this site to their own ends, perhaps it is an appropriate site for a Loci, or its presence is viewed as holy and those that hunger for the touch of the divine may erect a temple upon its breast. Sometimes however these temples crumble, sacred groves are burned, and new stones are placed not with the intent to mark the ground as sacred but simple because it is as good a place to build tenements as any. Sometimes these profaned sites, lacking proper stewardship and broken from their connection to a higher purpose bleed off their excess potential anyway it can. The soul of the place grows pregnant with errant ideas, and superfluous imagination.

Stairways of Creation are buildings built upon places of power. They all must have stairways leading from one floor to the next, preferably they have many such stairs, and thus towers are more commonly tied to this phenomena then simple two story houses, particularly buildings with 12 or more floors. When human beings inhabit these buildings creativity often flourishes. Those who compose elaborate stories within the building, whether prolific writers, or just habitual liars and children who live in daydreams, will undoubtedly start populating the dreams of the house with Characters. This House Dream absorbs ambient passing fancies, fear, wishes and hopes forming a changing tapestry of locations that perhaps may fit the backdrop of the Characters.

Any occupant of the building has the potential to spawn a Character, but only some occupants have spawned multiple characters. Characters are the result of creative energies concentrated through emotions centering upon a subject in an occupants mind. The classic example is the hermit mad writer pouring over some massive archaic typewriter for days at a time trying to get their next novel just right. Even if their stories involve other important characters each occupant will usually only be able to generate their one Character, as something about the occult environment of the building calibrates each occupant’s flow of excess creativity to one destination. These first impressions strongly impact the Character, and occupants will find it difficult to alter early fundamental concepts they fabricated for these Characters. Characters may even struggle in within an occupants dream to retain desirable or just fundamental qualities.

Often those occupants who do not create a character of their own Character, such as most individuals whose jobs or hobbies do not revolve around the creative impulse, will find their dreams visiting upon the lives of multiple Characters. Eventually they will synchronize with a Character they find compelling, or perhaps one they recognize through contact with other occupants of the building. Once synchronized the creative energies will feed the Character adding complexity through which they evolve. Shared characters start growing beyond the initial design of their creating occupant, though the occupant who created them may not realize their creation has grown beyond what they have invested in them, rationalizing the changes in the Character as their own doing. Many Characters often have disputable origins with multiple occupants claiming the title of creator.

The shared dream nature of the building often results in long term occupants, and the addictive nature of supernatural creativity often binds occupants to their building for as long as they can muster, forming their own cult. This cult is often a simple instinctive thing, perhaps more a shared set of customs rather than a dogma or hierarchy. The cult may be a philosophy aggrandizing their chosen professions (Novelists aren’t the only ones creating Characters, musicians, painters, and any number of artists and madmen grow addicted to creation), or even viewing the Characters as the Gods of their own personal Pantheon, peopling the myths and legends of their shared narratives. The buildings which continuously feed a few set Characters rather than spawn new ones can result in an impressive pantheon indeed.

A rough guideline on the occupants most likely to spawn/add to Characters are those individuals who spend multiple hours every day on the subject of stories or specific characters, Characters created may even originate from idealized personal versions of real people such as an occupants dream girl or favorite pop singer, as long as their thoughts often dwell on a single subject for hours at a time. Though fantasies about an individual they regularly interact with has a greater tendency to alter existing characters rather than create new ones. Those who regularly spend willpower on rolls involving creativity and a subject are the type of individuals most likely to create Characters, and sometimes they find themselves synchronizing to a 2nd Character, often one of their creation.

Character Creation
                          A Character often spawns off of the months of work an occupant spends thinking about them, fueling their birth through the emotions felt in their formation, and the various scenarios imagined around them. A Character first becomes mobile in the House Dream. They start with the default 1 rating in each of the three spirit traits. They start receiving an additional point to an attribute for each month of the first year spent in creative mania towards the character, as in the occupant spends at least 8 hours a day thinking about the Character or a setting pertinent to the Character. In place of three trait points a level of Influence, or a single Numina may be purchased instead, or for a trait point may be used for a consistent equipment bonus at a rate of 1 for 1 normally only up to a +3 Equipment bonus. Equipment bonuses may represent potent and uncanny anatomy such as obsidian claws for slashing, or a silver tongue for seduction. Armor may also be purchased at a rate of 1 for 1.

After the first year there hits a point of diminishing returns normally only resulting in a gain of 1 trait point every year or every few years. Though additional occupants synched may add an additional 1 trait every year or few years. Individuals generating less excess creativity that find themselves synchronizing to a character add a trait point at a slower rate, perhaps even as slow as once a decade, but evidence of their touch upon the Character may show in the bits and pieces of the Characters appearance, speech, or even taste. Supernatural occupants are particularly prone generating amplified versions of creative energy if they are at all creative, exact bonuses are up to the storyteller but they can be as excessive or minor as needed for the story, and glamour is particularly potent fuel.

Every building is different; some may fuel all the creative juices into a trio of complex and potent Characters, while another creates a handful of new characters every few years as occupants move in and out. The origins of Characters may be believed to be an act of spontaneous generation by some or just the revelation of true Archetypes by others. The truth is the properties of the buildings environment actually mutate one of the local spirits feeding off of the ambient essence of something resonating with the house or an occupant. Character creation is actually just the months long chrysalis of one of the lower ranked spirits. Because of this some Characters may actually start off more potent than others (use the Spirits base traits as the starting number for the Character rather than the default 1 in each trait.). The fact is this isn’t limited to spirits, and if the building houses one or more ghosts theses ghosts may be recreated as Characters (treat the resulting character as hedging closer to the ghosts fundamental nature and trait priority), this is often the tragic fate of those who involve themselves to greatly to the passion plays of the Characters, or those occupants who simply forget their basic necessities in the stupor of fantasy.

Fully realized Characters become so real that they may materialize via walking down the stairs, otherwise they are in a perpetual state of Twilight while dwelling within the building. They usually dwell within the House Dream, a Realm of existence that exists atop the stairs. Normally the House Dream is only visited in the actual dreams of the occupants. However it may be reached physically upon the stroke of midnight if guided by a character and 1 Willpower point, and one lethal Health level are spent, usually in the form of bloody foot or hand prints as the character ascends the stairs with such haste that they bleed their effort onto their path opening the way. Another method of physically entering the House Dream would be to ascend the stairs while in the Shadow of the house, or for Changelings opening a portal to the Hedge using the door to the stairwell. Either way one must climb to the 13th Floor, even if normally the building does not possess that many floors. If however the building does possess a 13th floor anyone may enter just by ascending to the 13th floor and wishing themselves into the House Dream, while spending a Willpower point. However buildings with a 13th floor are more vulnerable to the whims of Characters as they find it easier to materialize.

The entrance to the House Dream seems like a mundane hallway of the 13th floor, however every apartment door leads to a different setting. Each setting is starts off as a scene stolen from an occupants dream, and they will often change and overlap over the years as new occupants, or particularly strong dreams leave strong psychic imprints. Each Character however has a setting of their own, whether one setting used as their lone dwelling, or a group setting. A Character’s setting is their home, they belong there. Their settings often have a more logical geography as they are from consciously fabricated stories. So a black horned terror may have a setting that is a vast one room cave with a bone pit in the center, while a trio of Characters that eventually shared the same setting may have combine all three of their personal growing narratives, making for a combination London Flat/Sultan’s Palace/Fried Chicken Restaurant.

If any occupants are currently sleeping, or reveling in an intoxicated stupor minor characters known as extras may populate the various settings filling in appropriate roles (such as diners in a restaurant, or even deer in a garden). The more sleeping occupants the richer and more active the settings will be. The settings not owned by a Character may even mutate due to the dreaming occupants while others are traveling through them. Obvious doorways or thresholds in a setting may lead to another setting, so going thru the restaurant’s bathroom door may take you to the Sultan’s Harem next-door. Sometimes Doorways seem like they are leading to just another setting, however this setting is different. This setting seems to have access to Hobgoblins who have somehow wandered into the House Dream. They may stake out a setting pretending to be a ruling Character, or they may congregate around a powerful or charismatic Character acting as lackeys. Some more animalistic Hobgoblins may start populating a legitimate echosystem in the settings, the same with Goblinfruit and other flora from the Hedge like thorns. The reverse is also true, sometimes whether intentionally or on purpose animals from the Material world may make their home in the House Dream. Hobgoblins, animals, and some extras may use normal attributes + abilities rather than the simplified traits of ghosts and spirits.

Some buildings however, particularly those with multiple below ground levels and or a large number of occupants with mental illnesses, may possess a sub-basement reachable in the same manner as the House Dream except via a 13th sub-floor. This Basement is a setting of nightmare creatures. The hallways to the nightmare settings are dim, and smell of piss and brimstone. Echoes of screams and heavy thuds are nigh omnipresent. The good thing is that the Basement is often smaller and simpler then the House Dream, the downside is that they sometimes actually lead real underworlds filled with real damned souls or sin hungry imps. Needless to say many buildings that find that they have a Basement, will go to great length to board up or limit travel to these subfloors.

The relationship between Characters can symbiotic with the House Dream fulfilling the longings of the occupants in their slumber, or it can be a parasitic sadomasochistic passion play of dominance as either the Characters or the Occupants Lord over the other. Normally however it is an atmosphere of separation as many buildings have occupants who view the houses properties as nothing but a linking of shared dreams. Even cults and other buildings with regular interaction between occupants and Characters will at least start off separated, and will only grow to interact as the Characters become more real and interact with the cult directly bringing the first members into the House Dream, or the Basement. Characters may indeed be very real while within their buildings, however they all possess one strong limitation. All Characters will unravel into words, whispers, or pages if they take one step out of their buildings. Though there is one exception, the Nervosa.

Nervosa are Characters created from the madness and nightmares of the occupants. The unconscious and strong flow of madness into the pregnant creativity of the building results in a being that can exist outside the building in a state of Twilight. Some dark rumors persist that Nervosa may be able to claim the bodies and lives of occupants and exist forevermore as real entities (possessing attributes and abilities along with their own unique powers). Many of the Nervosa dwell within the Basement, and some thought to instead escape into the various hellish the Basement opens into. Freedom is freedom after all, and one man’s hell is another Nervosa’s heaven, or at least haven.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel
                            The Spiral Arm
                            Originally posted by Satchel
                            The Milky Way has a place in the mythology of several cultures — sometimes as an obstacle to a goal, other times as a trail or marker. The Spiral Arm is technically both.
                            That reminds me of the video game Boundless Ocean, one of the most beautiful I have played.

I love that contrast between the dark star-lit sky just seconds away from the warm beach and bright waters.

However I'm not sold on the way you portray it. Basically, there's nothing to do there except find a pearl and that's dice play. It would be far better to fill it with all the myths so there's real challenges and interesting stories between you and the end of the road. You could skip the pearl hunting entirely and say that you just need to make it to the other end. (You should also mention the ability to sail across it)

I'll try to think of something, though have a look at The Rift from Leviathan, that one's pretty cool if non-accessible for mortal PCs.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
                            My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
                            Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

House Paintings
                              In some galleries, museums and the houses of some collectors you can find simple paintings of a comfortable seeming house. The type of paintings have varied whether it was pastel, oil paintings or water colors, and the nature of the residence could be a simple cabin in the woods, a rustic country villa, or a grand estate, but they all exude a sense of warmth, like something about the painting can provide shelter from the cold world beyond is aisle. There are also two features they all have in common. First they all have some form of chimney visible, though absent of smoke. Second all the windows are shut and the curtains drawn, and the front door is always closed and always adorned with what looks like a brass knocker. There is no evidence of anyone home and no lights coming from the abode. These paintings seem unremarkable, they are professionally made but they do not appear as anything unique or terribly expensive. Most notice nothing strange about them at all.

Some claim though that small details seem to change every now and then, all the windows are closed and tightly curtained but some say the wrinkles appear different every now and then as if the resident has opened and closed them during the night when no one was looking. Perhaps a piece of fruit has fallen from the tree in front of the house, or the porch appears wet as if it just rained in the picture. Most people are rational, and they ignore any perceived change as a trick of the mind. However for an unlucky few they may happen to notice a savory sweet smell in the room and follow it to the painting. On these days the chimney billows with smoke, the curtains are drawn wide and the windows are open and inviting. The shadows around the house are cast different, they all appear to be angled towards the house, and the time of day in the painting appears darker as if moving closer towards dusk.

On these days what appears to be the home’s resident can be seen welcoming you from the edge of an open window. His details vary with each painting but it is more often than not a man. He is always very ancient and dressed warmly such as in a velvet robe or rapped in the skins of animals. His features are partially shadowed but a welcoming hand is visible, pale and drawn with a twig like finger gesturing one to come in. The method of ingress is instinctively known to all, the brass knocker can be clutched and rapped three time, and after that one will find themselves within the painting. From within the painting the neighboring woods appear thick and foreboding, with long wild grass and sharp thorned bushes. The air is cold with a biting howling wind. The door will slowly open and the ancient old man will welcome visitors inside where a large covered kettle is bubbling with a meaty stew with bowls prepared at the table for everyone.

All visitors are welcome, and if you eat the hearty meal one bowl will be enough fill ones belly and warm one’s bones. A pleasant conversation may be had with the old man who seems knowledgeable about many subjects however completely out unaware about the modern state of things. Gossip and news about current events will immediately attract the old man’s attention as he appears hungrier for the news and company then for any stew. After the meal he will offer lodgings for all, and anyone who has eaten the thick meaty stew will feel drowsy. Those who try to leave will first be illicit nagging insistence that they stay and that leaving would be a terrible insult. If they ignore him they will find the doors and windows locked closed, and the old man will call the shadows to his side, his limbs will fill with the strength of many men and he will then attempt to prepare his guests to be added as ingredients to his stew.

Rules of the Realm:
                              • One does not age as long as they stay in the home while the Hearthfire burns. If the Old Man is killed his heart may cut out and fed to the fire, and it will burn for a year and a day warming the entire house, if not the fire will gutter and go out with the Old Man’s last breath. A heart of a human may feed the fire for a season. The heart of an animal may feed the fire for a single night; the heart of a cherished pet can feed the fire for a week. The Heart of a supernatural being may feed the fire for one season for every dot of Wyrd or Supernatural advantage.
                              • Fae beings may enter or exit the painting using the house’s doorknocker as if they were entering or exiting a portal to the Hedge.
                              • Others may enter only if the current resident opens all the houses curtains and windows. They still have to use the front door.
                              • Those without Wyrd or appropriate magics may only leave the painting when the Hearthfire is out, whether left to burn out naturally or snuffed out.
                              • The Woods surrounding the house lead to the local hedge, and often to dangerous portions of the Hedge.
                              • The Fruit tree in front of the house grows goblin fruit.
                              • Food cooked on the Hearthfire will fill ones nutrition needs for a day with each bowl, however every bowl adds a -2 dice penalty to all actions due to sleepiness. This will fade with a night’s sleep.
                              • Sleeping in the beds of the house while the Hearthfire burns will count as two days’ rest.
                              • The Painting never changes when watched, but you turn away for longer than a blink all changes within the painting due to its residents movements will catch up.
                              • The house will have access to fresh water as long as the Hearthfire burns. Plumbing depends on how modern the house is. Goblin fruit will only grow when the Hearthfire burns.
                              • If the Hearthfire is not burning a successful awareness roll at -2 difficulty will reveal a winding stone stairwell behind the chimney leading downwards into the cellar. The Cellar actually leads into the Underworld. If the fire was recently extinguished you enter the upper reaches. If the Hearthfire has been cold for over a year it leads to the shores of one of the underworld rivers and you will treat your travels as if you crossed a single river.
                              New Underworld River

The River Mélancolique
                              The River Mélancolique flows throw the banks of the underworld silent as a picture. The waters are colored with the hues of with the deep blues and purples of a starry night, the oranges and golds of one’s first dawn, and the scarlets of a bleeding heart. The river itself appears as if it is a two dimensional portrait but if one drinks of its brightly colored waters ones tongue tastes the bitterness of tears and ink. The properties of drinking the painted waters will allow one to see the emotions of sadness and longing appear as various shades of painted light. Add an equipment bonus of +3 for empathy rolls or rolls to notice or track the wistful. This will last until the drinker next cries, the tears of which will be bright colored paint.

Comment

Working...
                              X