Musical Themes for the World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical Themes for the World of Darkness

Think it's about time to revive this game.

To put it simply, I link a music video or mp3, then the poster below me describes a thing nWoD that could have that song as a theme. Then they link a theme, and the poster below them describes something that could link to that, and so on.

I'll get the ball rolling by an easy one, seeing as how it describes 60% of all mundane antagonist factions in both WoDs.

That really is an easy one. Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich: Seers of the Throne. I'm not sure I even have to explain this one, do I? The Seers of the Throne seek ownership as they are owned themselves; magic is power and they will use that power to get whatever they want.

Let's look over my playlist and see out of the set of songs I've remembered to rate, looking at the highest ratings...

Ah. Now let's crank the difficulty up a notch. The New Pollution. What do you see in the ink?

Comment

The New Pollution is obviously about spirits specifically nature spirits that are being displaced by new spirits born of technology. They view the new types of essence and spirit created from it as pollution but forget that is how spirits of stone fire and magma thought of them when life began to overshadow them.

What of the World of Darkness do you hear do you hear in Black Water?

Last edited by VectorFox; 06-18-2014, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Black Water: The Ordo Dracul, reflecting on the darker things for their quest for ascenscion to see the sunshine again, and the ultimate joy of having done so. Through mellow rock, because they're fans of the unexpected.

Now that that's done with, how about Gamma Unchained, as part of my love affair with video game music?

Comment

Coming Undone by Korn for low-Clarity Changelings. Only listening to the music, I picture that Changeling in the art for Clarity in The Lost core book. There's also a great Nightcore remix of Coming Undone at that link.

EDIT: I misunderstood the premise, and I apologize.
          Last edited by BigDamnHero; 06-19-2014, 02:46 PM.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
          Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
          He/him pronouns, please

Comment

Gamma Unchained is certainly about Demon. Unchained is literally in the songs title, the opening has a wierd digital voice in it and the song is bloody about regrets and trying to make the future better.

Continueing in the vein of easy-as-pie-to-place songs, I give you, Alice In Chains - Them Bones:

Comment

I could easily see it as a Geist or a Mummy song, so let's subvert expectation and call it a Hunter The Vigil song-a fatalistic song that explores the isolation and semi-futility of carrying the candle, that never the less moves at a grim but fast pace, calling for action regardless, to go onward even in nihilism. Who gives a shit if they die-that was always going to happen.

I was thinking of a recent Fall Out Boy song for fun, but then I ran across this one-it's not great, but I got an unusual spin from it, and I wonder if anyone else will get the same vibe. Song is Catch Fire by Jenix.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
              Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Jenix - Catch Fire kinda makes me think about Hunter, actually. The way she sings about rather fatalistic and hopeless things, that none the less needs to be overcome for the good of everything.
                There is no end to The Vigil, there are no heroes and it isn't a pleasant thing. Yet somebody needs to do it, and you know that you're amongst a very few people who can and will do something about it.
                Btw, nice spin on Them Bones. I liked that

I have a very specific thing in mind with this next one. Lets see if the rest of you can guess what it is. I present; Anglespit - Get Even:

Comment

I was thinking Mummy for Catch Fire, because my mind walks in circles when it's not walking in spirals.

I'll let someone else play with Get Even.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                  Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
                  Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Originally posted by Krobeles View Post
                    Avenger slashers, I would guess? Glorying in both revenge and the actual kill.

Here's something that I'm sure will have an awesome personage attached to it: Mr. Bad Example

Comment

I don't know if this Krobeles sees but I hear in Get Even as an abyssal promise to destroy the fallen world. It revels in how it corrupts the magic mages " your sharp intellect with crippling silence slip between the sheet stealthy compliance." It then goes on threat other supernaturals starting with changelings and other fae " mandrake concentrate or I'll give you fucking sores" moving on to vampires" blood brother narcissism duplicity isn't new spit sister egotism watch me while I'll throttle you" then on to prometheans "full of frailty growing desperate to insanity in pervert flesh on a piece of plate scream out treachery everyone like to look the just want to see you dance on a meat hook" . Then it focus on criticizing the Father, Psychopomp, Ruin ,and Raptor. God puppet beat a drum entertainment for the bored zombie doll with wings feasting on flesh evil siren sings casting the fat lot, vulture rip away scavenging parasite. Finally it takes a swipe at the uratha "full blow soul decay under the sliver knife"

What do you see in The Storm ?

Last edited by VectorFox; 06-19-2014, 06:02 PM.

Comment

The Storm - the theme for a Changeling: The Lost game set in the American South somewhere on Tornado Alley, where the characters know the lives they make are impermanent and unsafe, but they have to stay because when the Storm comes the Wild Hunt rides, and nobody else can stop them.

I have some ideas of my own here, but...

Craig Oxbrow
                        The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

The Mother We Shareis a theme for two Prometheans who share a maker, trying to get buy in a world where they're the only one who will ever have the other's back, for better or worse.

My offering is Tom Wait's Rain Dogs

Comment

Originally posted by That Other Guy View Post
                            The Mother We Shareis a theme for two Prometheans who share a maker, trying to get buy in a world where they're the only one who will ever have the other's back, for better or worse.

My offering is Tom Wait's Rain Dogs

Seems to be about the supernatural denizens cheerfully divorcing themselves from mortality, recognizing they're something different, and cheerfully embracing that difference.

Once again Mr. Bad Example

Comment

Um, was that too hard? I can post something else if not.

(praying other people reply, I like viewing new musical frontiers).

Comment

Working...
                              X