• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    I don't understand this sentiment.

But okay.
    People like and dislike different things. Sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Onyx Path Moderator
    Mod Voice is RED*
    *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
    Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

• Do you have any plans for adding more material to your Proximi House Rules? I wanna use them someday. I noticed you said your Proximi Dynasties draw their 3 Arcana from specific Legacies, but the Sons Of Bezalel and House Telyavel have sets of Arcana that don't match any canon Paths, and canon Legacies are usually based on the Ruling Arcana of a Path, plus a Third Ruling Arcanum. Therefore, shouldn't the Sons Of Bezalel be based on some sort of Moros + Mind Legacy, and House Telyavel be based on some sort of Thyrsus + Death Legacy? Could I just remove the part where it says Proximi Dynasties are linked to specific Legacies, without causing mechanical or narrative issues? Could a Proximus Dynasty have more than one signature Skill? It seems House Telyavel could have Medicine or Occult or Survival, for example. And what's the rationale behind the rule which says Yantras used by Proximi only give +1 regardless of type? Seems like arbitrary nerfing. PenDragon
      Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 04-16-2022, 07:34 PM.

"...who the fuck is 'they'? You're a Soundcloud rapper, not a mastermind world-conqueror."

Comment

• Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
        Do you have any plans for adding more material to your Proximi House Rules? I wanna use them someday. I noticed you said your Proximi Dynasties draw their 3 Arcana from specific Legacies, but the Sons Of Bezalel and House Telyavel have sets of Arcana that don't match any canon Paths, and canon Legacies are usually based on the Ruling Arcana of a Path, plus a Third Ruling Arcanum. Therefore, shouldn't the Sons Of Bezalel be based on some sort of Moros + Mind Legacy, and House Telyavel be based on some sort of Thyrsus + Death Legacy? Could I just remove the part where it says Proximi Dynasties are linked to specific Legacies, without causing mechanical or narrative issues? Could a Proximus Dynasty have more than one signature Skill? It seems House Telyavel could have Medicine or Occult or Survival, for example. And what's the rationale behind the rule which says Yantras used by Proximi only give +1 regardless of type? Seems like arbitrary nerfing. PenDragon
        To be honest I don't. It's been a while since I ran CoD, or any OP games for that matter (save for an entirely homebrewed Exalted).

As for my rational while writing the Proximi, I was designing them largely as a stand alone thing and didn't want to lock my concepts to the 5 canon paths. And the Yantra thing was purely for ease of book keeping. That said, I would encourage you to make any changes you desire for your own table. That's the spirit of homebrew after all!

Onyx Path Moderator
        Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

• Somehow I totally failed to post my now half-decade old 2e adaptation for my Proximi rules. It's not 100% complete, but since a few people have shown interest, here it is:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...aw7wLuhI/edit#

Onyx Path Moderator
          Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

• Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
            Somehow I totally failed to post my now half-decade old 2e adaptation for my Proximi rules. It's not 100% complete, but since a few people have shown interest, here it is:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...aw7wLuhI/edit#
            Thanks for all the work!

Comment

• Originally posted by altidiya View Post

Thanks for all the work!
              Thank you!

You've inspired me to continue the work of finishing up a few old drafts. I've just added another Proximi line to the document, the Li Dynasty. A secretive family of Fate/Mind/Space Sorcerers who work discreetly to manipulate the world into more harmonious forms...or what they consider harmonious. More than a little inspired by Sidereals from Exalted.

Onyx Path Moderator
              Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

• Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
                Thank you!

You've inspired me to continue the work of finishing up a few old drafts. I've just added another Proximi line to the document, the Li Dynasty. A secretive family of Fate/Mind/Space Sorcerers who work discreetly to manipulate the world into more harmonious forms...or what they consider harmonious. More than a little inspired by Sidereals from Exalted.

That sounds amazing!

I mostly worked with your general House Rules and the Mystic Arts. My partner is a really huge Ars Magica fan and I use the Dictum Arcanum as a base for a heavy cost - heavy flexibility art of the Hermetic Magic. But I use a lot of your 1e Proximi as Mythic Blooded and they work amazing, I'm already translating to the 2e.

If I can dream, I really want to know what you have at least in mind with the Technomancers and the Occults, the first is because I really want to use inspiration from Mage Victorian Age but I don't like Ascension approximation to magic and universe, and the second because the idea of magic granting masks is always something I wanted to create but never knew how to in most of the game I play.

But I'm happy seeing you really want to continue this projects, they are very top tier.

Comment

• Originally posted by altidiya View Post
                  If I can dream, I really want to know what you have at least in mind with the Technomancers and the Occults, the first is because I really want to use inspiration from Mage Victorian Age but I don't like Ascension approximation to magic and universe, and the second because the idea of magic granting masks is always something I wanted to create but never knew how to in most of the game I play.
                  Oh jeez, I hate to be a downer on your dreams but those were the two I basically scrapped. If I recall correctly Occulted were going to be a splat made by expanding the shadow identity concept in Mage. Individuals who have taken on magical archetypes and gain magic appropriate to their character (ex. If a character wore the Mythic Mask of the Lawman, the american archetype of the heroic cowboy/sheriff, they would have assorted powers like their gun being fate blessed or being able to walk unerringly toward a mark). Beyond the idea I never worked out actual mechanics.

As for Technomancers I never found an idea that wasn't just Imbued items or Genius: The Transgression.

I did have a draft outline of Imbued, who were mortals who a small number of personal enchantments, gained through supernatural sources (bathing in the river styx, standing in a weird machine sanctum, praying to an alien idol) but Deviant does it better and cleaner, so I'd just use that.

But I'm happy seeing you really want to continue this projects, they are very top tier.
                  Thank you, I'm tickled to see that my old stuff still gets occasional use.

Onyx Path Moderator
                  Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

• Occulted sound a lot like Unknown Armies avatars. You could do a lot worse than cribbing the Awakened Legacies mechanic. Give them a series of attainments starting with ones subtle enough that you can't tell they're magical all the way up to living myth, throw in a ban, and have the fluff say the more attainments you have the more you act like the archetype.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
                    My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
                    Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Working...
                    X