X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PenDragon
    started a topic PenDragon's Homebrew Hub

PenDragon's Homebrew Hub

Inspired by The King's Raven and my ever growing list of disparate homebrew projects (and the dramatically smaller signature size limit) this page shall serve as a hub for those who prefer not to have to bookmark a dozen different pages. It will remain up to date as projects are completed.

General System HacksVampire: The RequiemWerewolf: The ForsakenMage: The AwakeningChangeling: The LostHunter: The VigilGeist: The Sin-EatersMummy: The CurseDemon: The Descent

Character Sheets**Character Sheets by Arlecchino
    Many thanks to all those who test, play, comment and otherwise help me refine homebrew for optimal playability.
    Last edited by PenDragon; 08-23-2016, 06:36 AM.

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    I don't understand this sentiment.

But okay.
    People like and dislike different things. Sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by PenDragon View Post

I like the general concept of playing an outsider being trying to make sense of life and humanity, but the setting, crunch and feel of the game are not for me. I don't enjoy running it, my players don't want to play it. In fairness the Promethean characters in the mixed games I ran went over well, they made interesting foils to the action, but I found myself dumping most of the crunch in order to make them mesh. I've accepted that Promethean isn't a game meant for me.

As I said above, I've drifted away from CofD as a whole. I've been tinkering with Storypath and find it more to my liking.
    I don't understand this sentiment.

But okay.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    And Christ then, what was your favorite parts of 1e?
    I like the general concept of playing an outsider being trying to make sense of life and humanity, but the setting, crunch and feel of the game are not for me. I don't enjoy running it, my players don't want to play it. In fairness the Promethean characters in the mixed games I ran went over well, they made interesting foils to the action, but I found myself dumping most of the crunch in order to make them mesh. I've accepted that Promethean isn't a game meant for me.

As I said above, I've drifted away from CofD as a whole. I've been tinkering with Storypath and find it more to my liking.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    How the fuck are Transmutations complex?

And Christ then, what was your favorite parts of 1e?

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by DArchon5 View Post

I've been on
    a bit of a Promethean fixation lately, so I've got to ask. How are these changed for 2e?.
    Oh hey, I haven't seen a post here in a while.

Unfortunately, I haven't touched CofD in a few years, and Promethean in longer. TBH I hate Promethean 2e, it doubled down on all my least favorite parts of 1e and implemented a power system so complex I began looking at Exalted charm trees fondly. It was so bloated I didn't even know how to begin to homebrew for it, so I didn't.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. That said, if I ever run CofD again I'll likely repurpose Deviant for Prommies. Everything I've read about that game indicates it'll be a weird, modular setting that can be bent to mimic different splats and already caters to many Promethean style stories.

Also, while I'm at it, a shameless plug. I'm Storytelling Scion nowdays and streaming the games most Sunday on Twitch. The game is the Demi-Dozen and I'm told its pretty funny: https://www.twitch.tv/scabbyrooster/videos

Leave a comment:

• DArchon5
    replied
    Alright, since there seems to be interest, I'll
    give a brief overview of my Promethean Hacks:
    • Replace Humanity with Simulacre (by Metamurpho, here): Simulacre defines how close a Promethean is to being human, and how human-like his body has become. At low Simulacre he's basically just an animate mass, no vital organs, no need to
      breath or eat, human in appearance only. As Simulacre rises those natural advantages
      begin to fade as more and more the Promethean
      acquires human needs, however, higher Simulacre also slows the growth of Wasteland and
      Disquite.
    • Wasteland & Disquiet: Wasteland and Disquiet
      are intrinsically tied, one to the other. As a Promethean's wasteland grows so too does others' paranoia. Disquiet itself is no longer rolled for individuals, instead it
      is managed as a global track side-by-side with Wasteland. Both increment based on Simulacre, with low Simulacre incrementing in days, and high taking weeks, months or even years. However, certain events, like Transmutation usage, revealing of disfigurements and torment can cause immediate rolls.
      • How individuals respond to Disquiet falls more on the shoulders of the Storyteller, no longer is it assumed every NPC will turn against them.
        Indeed, a mortal of sufficient Integrity can rough past Disquiet and see the Promethean for who he truly is. Conversely
        of course, low Integrity mortals have the opposite response, developing a profound and lasting obsession that endures even once the Promethean
        is gone.

• Supernaturals are not affected in the same way as mortals, they feel disquiet
        certainly, but aren't compelled by it. Therefore it falls to that specific character to respond in a manner appropriate. That could mean that they can talk it out with the Prommie, but often other Supernaturals will mistake the feeling of unease for a sign that the Promethean is one of their natural enemies. A Werewolf may assume he's some
        sort of Host, a Changeling might mistake him for Fae, or a Sin-Eater could assume he's an immortal abomination. Ample room for both understanding and misunderstanding.
    • Bestowments: All physical/mental bestowments
      are gone, instead a Promethean
      gets two attributes, one based on Lineage and the other on Refinement. Add one dot to each Attribute (which can take them over 5) and gain 9-again on all related rolls. Each Lineage has
      a number of advantages which take the place of other Bestowments, all lineages get 3, which
      are chosen during character creation (if
      unfleshed). These fade as Simulacre rises, losing the first at 4, the second at 7, and the last at 9.

• Unfleshed are a lot more common.
        Indeed it would be better to say that all Prometheans are entirely unique. Building the specifics of your Promethean is a key portion of character creation, much
        like constructing a Demon's demonic form. Importantly, it is not the base assumption that Prommie's come from dead bodies. Golems, for instant, are generally made of clay and dirt.
    • Transmutations: Remove the dot structure entirely, Transmutations
      are now purchased based on prerequisites. Like Jolt -> Shock -> Arc -> Divine Lightning. Certain Transmutations have to be radically altered (Might being a big one) while others can go mostly untouched. Custom Transmutations
      are also strongly encouraged and everything gets an on-the-spot power up for GMC rules.
      • Electroshock Recharge becomes inherent to all Prometheans, but automatically risks Torment when used.
    • Antagonists: A new antagonist group, The Society of Thule, exists. Composed of mortal alchemists and mad scientists they seek to tame Pyros and bend it to their own interests. Their numbers include many Demiurges driven mad by the generative act
      as well as though whose experience with Disquiet left them permanently deranged. The abilities of the Society and Demiurges
      are strongly inspired by the fan game Genius: The Transgression, albeit significantly toned down.
    That's the gist, there's a bunch of other small changes
    as well, but those are the big ones.

P.S. I've got a fair number of Geist hacks
    as well, for those interested.
    I've been on
    a bit of a Promethean fixation lately, so I've got to ask. How are these changed for 2e?.
    Last edited by DArchon5; 07-12-2019, 02:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Sorry to ask for help finding something but I'm kinda stumped.

What do the Primary Arcana of a Mystic Art do? The system section on pg.6 doesn't mention them, but the quick character build section says to take note of them.

Are they just a vague indication of what the art primarily focuses on? Or is there something more significiant to them?
    My original thought was to give Arts prereqs like Legacies, but I ended up dumping that in favor of greater character variety. I left in the Primary Arcana as a little guide to what Arcana the Arts favor. Though for certain Arts (like Tsuchimikado Onmyodo, which requires all spells use Spirit) the Primary Arcana really is a prereq.

If I work up the chutzpah to do another pass of the doc I'll certainly clarify that, and probably change the 'Rotes' entry to 'Oblations'.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Sorry to ask for help finding something but I'm kinda stumped.

What do the Primary Arcana of a Mystic Art do? The system section on pg.6 doesn't mention them, but the quick character build section says to take note of them.

Are they just a vague indication of what the art primarily focuses on? Or is there something more significiant to them?

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    Legacies: the Sublime. One of the most... unique Legacies, and one that I am fond of, and so is a player of mine.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Dreaminggod View Post
    Hey, PenDragon, have you ever thought of writing a Mystic Art for the Daksha?
    Which book are they from?

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    Hey, PenDragon, have you ever thought of writing a Mystic Art for the Daksha?

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
    I like it! I think their Primary Yantra could be like this:

Masters Of Mischief: The magic of the Anansi Boys works best when applied subtly and toward inflicting change and chaos (i.e. they benefit from an additional free Reach). As such, spells that are overt in nature or are meant to increase order or stability do not have affinity with this Art (i.e. they incur Paradox as though no Yantra had been used)..

EDIT: Feel free to add this to your Google Doc.
    That works. Though I think I'll phrase it: "The magic of the Anansi Boys is intended to work subtly towards change and chaos. Spells that complicate existing problems or create new dilemmas benefit from an additional Free Reach, while those that resolve problems or create stability always invoke paradox.

Though I'm considering dropping the free 'restrictive' attainment, as it's proven a bit of a headache to keep track of for characters with multiple arts.

Regardless, added to the doc. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    That's the best I got.
    I like it! I think their Primary Yantra could be like this:

Masters Of Mischief: The magic of the Anansi Boys works best when applied subtly and toward inflicting change and chaos (i.e. they benefit from an additional free Reach). As such, spells that are overt in nature or are meant to increase order or stability do not have affinity with this Art (i.e. they incur Paradox as though no Yantra had been used)..

EDIT: Feel free to add this to your Google Doc.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 12-14-2016, 11:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
    Hey there, I had an idea for a Mystic Art. I originally wanted to have it as a Legacy, but I'm having a hard time making it work like that.

Here is the partial write up of the Legacy. What do you think? How close did I get to capturing the essence of the Trickster archetype? What sorts of Attainments can you imagine for it as a Mystic Art?
    Hrmmm, lets see.

ANANSI BOYS
    Resonant Path: Mastigos
    Primary Arcana: Mind & Prime
    Yantra: Symbols of mythological tricksters such as Coyote, Loki and Hermes (+1 or +2 if clearly visible), taboo-breaking fashion choices (+2), wisecracking (+1), mocking or destroying a representation of a scorned authority figure (+1 for a handheld representation or +2 for a detailed, life sized one), storytelling (+1 or +2), slight of hand (+1), disguises (+1 if basic or +2 if complex)
    Oblations: Pulling pranks, giving satirical performances, making oneself the comic relief, teaching unorthodox lessons
    Attainments:
    • Deadpan (••): Spells cast by Tricksters with this attainment do not trigger the unseen senses of other Mages unless they also risk Paradox. (e.g. spells that don't exceed their reach don't draw attention).
    • Pass The Buck (•••): Tricksters are masters of deflection and disinformation, especially when it comes to shifting blame. A trickster with this attainment can bend the resonance of a spell to fit another mage. Said mage must be present, and the trickster must either have observed them casting a spell within the scene, or scrutinized a spell they've already cast. Once cast the spell will appear to scrutiny as though cast by the other sorcerer, not the trickster.
    • All In Your Head (••••): Tricksters gift for lying is not limited to the mundane, they excel at spinning the lie itself to their benefit. When casting a spell improved by a deceptive yantra (slight of hand, a disguise, an epic yarn, etc.) Sleepers only count as witnesses if they see through the deception associated with the spell. Those who fail are swept up in the magic and will write off even the most improbable events as perfectly normal. For instance, a Mage could lead several dozen people in a conga line across a pool, yet no one would ever wonder why they didn't fall in. Moreover, even if a sleeper is alerted to the wrongness of their situation, they add two dice to their Integrity roll to rationalize the events. This attainment does not influence unraveling, spells will still crumble after sleeper exposure.
    That's the best I got.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X