X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PenDragon
    started a topic PenDragon's Homebrew Hub

PenDragon's Homebrew Hub

Inspired by The King's Raven and my ever growing list of disparate homebrew projects (and the dramatically smaller signature size limit) this page shall serve as a hub for those who prefer not to have to bookmark a dozen different pages. It will remain up to date as projects are completed.

General System HacksVampire: The RequiemWerewolf: The ForsakenMage: The AwakeningChangeling: The LostHunter: The VigilGeist: The Sin-EatersMummy: The CurseDemon: The Descent

Character Sheets**Character Sheets by Arlecchino
    Many thanks to all those who test, play, comment and otherwise help me refine homebrew for optimal playability.
    Last edited by PenDragon; 08-23-2016, 06:36 AM.

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Sorry to ask for help finding something but I'm kinda stumped.

What do the Primary Arcana of a Mystic Art do? The system section on pg.6 doesn't mention them, but the quick character build section says to take note of them.

Are they just a vague indication of what the art primarily focuses on? Or is there something more significiant to them?
    My original thought was to give Arts prereqs like Legacies, but I ended up dumping that in favor of greater character variety. I left in the Primary Arcana as a little guide to what Arcana the Arts favor. Though for certain Arts (like Tsuchimikado Onmyodo, which requires all spells use Spirit) the Primary Arcana really is a prereq.

If I work up the chutzpah to do another pass of the doc I'll certainly clarify that, and probably change the 'Rotes' entry to 'Oblations'.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Sorry to ask for help finding something but I'm kinda stumped.

What do the Primary Arcana of a Mystic Art do? The system section on pg.6 doesn't mention them, but the quick character build section says to take note of them.

Are they just a vague indication of what the art primarily focuses on? Or is there something more significiant to them?

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    Legacies: the Sublime. One of the most... unique Legacies, and one that I am fond of, and so is a player of mine.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Dreaminggod View Post
    Hey, PenDragon, have you ever thought of writing a Mystic Art for the Daksha?
    Which book are they from?

Leave a comment:

• Dreaminggod
    replied
    Hey, PenDragon, have you ever thought of writing a Mystic Art for the Daksha?

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
    I like it! I think their Primary Yantra could be like this:

Masters Of Mischief: The magic of the Anansi Boys works best when applied subtly and toward inflicting change and chaos (i.e. they benefit from an additional free Reach). As such, spells that are overt in nature or are meant to increase order or stability do not have affinity with this Art (i.e. they incur Paradox as though no Yantra had been used)..

EDIT: Feel free to add this to your Google Doc.
    That works. Though I think I'll phrase it: "The magic of the Anansi Boys is intended to work subtly towards change and chaos. Spells that complicate existing problems or create new dilemmas benefit from an additional Free Reach, while those that resolve problems or create stability always invoke paradox.

Though I'm considering dropping the free 'restrictive' attainment, as it's proven a bit of a headache to keep track of for characters with multiple arts.

Regardless, added to the doc. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
    That's the best I got.
    I like it! I think their Primary Yantra could be like this:

Masters Of Mischief: The magic of the Anansi Boys works best when applied subtly and toward inflicting change and chaos (i.e. they benefit from an additional free Reach). As such, spells that are overt in nature or are meant to increase order or stability do not have affinity with this Art (i.e. they incur Paradox as though no Yantra had been used)..

EDIT: Feel free to add this to your Google Doc.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 12-14-2016, 11:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
    Hey there, I had an idea for a Mystic Art. I originally wanted to have it as a Legacy, but I'm having a hard time making it work like that.

Here is the partial write up of the Legacy. What do you think? How close did I get to capturing the essence of the Trickster archetype? What sorts of Attainments can you imagine for it as a Mystic Art?
    Hrmmm, lets see.

ANANSI BOYS
    Resonant Path: Mastigos
    Primary Arcana: Mind & Prime
    Yantra: Symbols of mythological tricksters such as Coyote, Loki and Hermes (+1 or +2 if clearly visible), taboo-breaking fashion choices (+2), wisecracking (+1), mocking or destroying a representation of a scorned authority figure (+1 for a handheld representation or +2 for a detailed, life sized one), storytelling (+1 or +2), slight of hand (+1), disguises (+1 if basic or +2 if complex)
    Oblations: Pulling pranks, giving satirical performances, making oneself the comic relief, teaching unorthodox lessons
    Attainments:
    • Deadpan (••): Spells cast by Tricksters with this attainment do not trigger the unseen senses of other Mages unless they also risk Paradox. (e.g. spells that don't exceed their reach don't draw attention).
    • Pass The Buck (•••): Tricksters are masters of deflection and disinformation, especially when it comes to shifting blame. A trickster with this attainment can bend the resonance of a spell to fit another mage. Said mage must be present, and the trickster must either have observed them casting a spell within the scene, or scrutinized a spell they've already cast. Once cast the spell will appear to scrutiny as though cast by the other sorcerer, not the trickster.
    • All In Your Head (••••): Tricksters gift for lying is not limited to the mundane, they excel at spinning the lie itself to their benefit. When casting a spell improved by a deceptive yantra (slight of hand, a disguise, an epic yarn, etc.) Sleepers only count as witnesses if they see through the deception associated with the spell. Those who fail are swept up in the magic and will write off even the most improbable events as perfectly normal. For instance, a Mage could lead several dozen people in a conga line across a pool, yet no one would ever wonder why they didn't fall in. Moreover, even if a sleeper is alerted to the wrongness of their situation, they add two dice to their Integrity roll to rationalize the events. This attainment does not influence unraveling, spells will still crumble after sleeper exposure.
    That's the best I got.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Hey there, I had an idea for a Mystic Art. I originally wanted to have it as a Legacy, but I'm having a hard time making it work like that.

Here is the partial write up of the Legacy. What do you think? How close did I get to capturing the essence of the Trickster archetype? What sorts of Attainments can you imagine for it as a Mystic Art?
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 12-13-2016, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• -metablender
    replied
    I'll take a shot at drafting up a Geist: the Sin-Eaters Keychain although it's ended up as a doozy.

GHOSTLY DETECTIVE’S PHANTOM TRICKS

Core Manifestation: Enter the Ghost World
    Stillness Boneyard
    No roll
    1 Plasm
    Action: Reflexive
    Duration: as long as the Sin-Eater wishes, and then time returns to normal

The Sin-Eater pauses time by entering a potent state of Twilight. They may bring along a number of individuals nearby that do not exceed the Sin-Eater’s Willpower score, although ghosts and those who have died at least once do not count towards this limit. The Sin-Eater and companions can converse freely or tackle purely Mental challenges while time is paused. However they cannot leave the current location (within Psyche * 10 yards) of where the Sin-Eater activated this ability, nor can they impact the environment in any way. When this ability ends time resumes and everyone is where they were when time was paused. Other Supernaturals may be aware a supernatural ability took place but learning what happened during paused time would be difficult. Prolonged delay of the present, however, may trigger Breaking Point type rolls at Storyteller discretion.

Link #1: 4 Minutes to Death
    Stygian Oracle
    Trigger: “Enter the Ghost World was used in range of a corpse that died in the last 4 hours.”

The Sin-Eater (plus any companions) observes the last four minutes the corpse was alive. The Sin Eater can rewind, fast forward or pause time during these last four minutes (the same as Enter the Ghost World). The Sin-Eater and companions do not exist in the events of the past (not even the Twilight of the past) although they are not obstructed by physical matter and can pass anywhere within range, centered on the ‘living’ corpse. Thus information outside of the victim’s perspective could be learned. Ending this ability returns the party to the present.

Link #2: Mortal Recall
    Passion Oracle
    Trigger: “The Sin-Eater activates 4 Minutes to Death…”

The Sin-Eater may beckon the ghost of the departed victim into their Ghost World if they wish, either from the Underworld or wherever they were when Enter the Ghost World was activated. This does not endear the ghost to the Sin-Eater or compell them to answer in any way. Storyteller discretion is used on how much the ghost can remember/is willing to share about the events of their death and their life. A recent ghost may have trouble recalling their death or a despondent one may be adverse with the Sin-Eater tangling with their death. A traumatic death may result in a non-cognizant ghost. Someone who has accepted their death (or is tangled in other complications) may have already moved on and thus would not be available for the summons.

Link #3: Tricking Out Time
    Stygian Marionette (or Stygian Boneyard)
    Trigger: “The Sin-Eater has observed 4 Minutes to Death once AND spends 1 Plasm”

The Sin-Eater channels an additional Plasm into their revisit of the victim’s last 4 minutes alive. The Sin-Eater cannot affect other characters nor be heard by them but they can subtlety manipulate the environment of the past to see what changes, although when they return to the present the victim is still dead. Only physical actions can influence the past, requiring either Strength (Power) or Dexterity (Finesse) plus a suitable Skill.

Link #4: Kismet Switch
    Cold-Wind Marionette
    Trigger: “Time was paused while another object was in motion OR Tricking Out Time was activated.”

Before time is unpaused, the Sin-Eater is able to switch an object in motion with a proportionately similar object based on profile or shape. A bullet could be replaced with a carrot or ice cream cone, a speeding car with a toy car, a manhole cover with a dinner plate or other such associations, provided the objects are present in the scene. The inertia and placement of the switched objects holds true for the previous conditions in the scene: an objected swapped into a moving path will gain that momentum, and an object moved to an inert location will remain so, although once time flows again natural physics will take its course. The Sin-Eater can move an object of a Size within their Size + Strength + Science.

Link #5: Tune In, Drop Out
    Stillness Dirge or Stillness Oracle
    Trigger: “The Sin-Eater encounters a former companion from Enter the Ghost World.”

Once per scene, when within range of a former companion that has entered the ‘Ghost World’ the Sin-Eater is able to communicate with them outside of time. Treat this as a free use of Enter the Ghost World once per scene. However, linked manifestations are not possible. The Sin Eater would have to activate ‘Enter the Ghost World’ with its usual cost to use linked manifestations. The Sin-Eater can invalidate a target from Tune In Drop Out at any time they wish.

Link #6: More Distance Past
    Industrial Hearse (or Industrial Oracle)
    Trigger: “A communications call is made during 4 Minutes to Death.”

The Sin-Eater focuses on a phone call or similar communication between devices during 4 Minutes to Death. The Sin-Eater can clearly hear what occurred during the call. If the call is via a landline connection the Sin Eater can transport themselves to the other receiver instantly as they explore the past. They are still limited to the amount of time left in 4 Minutes to Death after the call begins. When exploring the new location the range is centered on the receiver at arrival.

Link #7: Fate Aversion
    Stigmata Marionette
    Trigger: “The victim in 4 Minutes to Death has a preventable death.”

Preventable death means the environment can be manipulated to keep the victim alive. The victim succumbing to old age or illness is not preventable. Knocking away a killer’s weapon, getting the victim needed medical attention, or stopping a disaster before it happened are all viable means to prevent death. The Sin-Eater may use other applicable linked manifestations as needed. To overwrite the past and restore the victim to life, however, requires 2 Plasm and the Sin Eater completing an extended action with a threshold of amount of damage the victim received during the killing blow, rolling Psyche + 1.
    The rescued victim briefly passes through the Ghost World upon being restored to life. The Sin-Eater reappears where they were when Enter the Ghost World was triggered, with the restored mortal appearing wherever at Storyteller discretion. Only the Sin-Eater, victim and any Ghost World companions will recognize that the past was changed as they return to a new present.

Link #8: Fated Death
    Stygian Pit (or Stygian Rage)
    Trigger: “In saving a victim from past fate, the one who had a hand in their death becomes a valid target.”

It is far easier to keep Death’s books (that a death still occurred in the past) than undo a death completely. The Sin-Eater declares a way for the person who participated in the death of the victim to die themselves, either via the same method or another option available in the scene. The Sin-Eater must pay 2 Plasm and complete an extended action using Strength or Dexterity, an applicable Skill and their Psyche, with a threshold of the target’s Willpower score and Supernatural Advantage. If the Sin-Eater is successful the new target dies, their soul/ghost immediately dragged off into the Underworld. The death of this victim can impact the return to the present in varied ways determined by the Storyteller. Only the Sin-Eater, Ghost World companions and the newly dead target will recognize that the past was changed as they return to a new present.

Link #9: Outrace the Clock
    Stygian Hearse
    Trigger: “During 4 Minutes to Death another corpse that died with 4 hours of that time is discovered in range.”

By focusing solely on the past portrayed in 4 Minutes to Death it allows the Sin-Eater to race backwards from the present they paused. The Sin-Eater may chose to visit the 4 Minutes to Death of this newly discovered corpse, although they must immediately make a Synergy check with a penalty equal to the number of linked manifestations used since activating Enter the Ghost World. On a failure not only is Synergy lost but the Sin-Eater is booted back to the present they paused, unable to enact 4 Minutes to Death on the first corpse ever again. On a success the Sin-Eater can view the new victim’s 4 Minutes to Death as usual.

The Keychain idea is really awesome for something to use until Geist gets its 2E revisions. It fits the means along newer game lines for customizing the powers presented in the books, such as Interlocks for Demons and Nightmares for Beasts. I plan to use this when introducing Geists and Sin-Eaters into my crossover game when ghostly antics become more important to the plot.

Although when not basing a Keychain off of my favorite DS game I admit I'm not as great at determining what the core manifestation should be to build other powers off of. I have numerous ideas for keychains but I'll keep the next idea simple for now.

I'm working on a Stricken Gatekeeper NPC who is an urban photographer getting some notice in the art scene. She died from prolonged asbestos exposure in her crappy apartment during her college years. Her Geist is a fibrous figure like insulation strands crossed with green mist and smoker's lung. His Keystone is a lens from an old camera. Known keys include Industrial and Phantasmal.

A 'ghost photography' kind of ability would be cool for the pair, perhaps casting illusions into the scene as well. I'm not sure where to begin.

Leave a comment:

• Taroh
    replied
    Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
    Of course you can use it, that's why its public. Attribution is all I request.

Persona was actually one of the inspirations for the hack, the other (larger) source being Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Though, fair warning, the hack does require a lot of cooperation between ST and player to make the Manifestation system work to its fullest. But you are clearly alright with large scale homebrew so that should be fine.
    Greatly appreciate, it, thank you! And Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a series I've been meaning to look into for a while, it's kind of a funny coincidence that you mention it as helping you flesh out your Geist Hack.

And yeah, The Manifestation system is definitly what I will spend the most time on seeing if I can keep it as is or modify. My original intention before finding your hack was to just have a typical 5 dot power progression thing akin to Disciplines for Vampires, but that's still 22 different power sets to develop and balance out somehow. Regardless, this is a thread about your homebrew hacks, not my lukewarm attempts at doing the same, so I'll just leave it at that, and thank you again. I will notify you you if I ever publish any of my work, so you can confirm that I give you credit.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Taroh View Post
    I stumbled on your homebrew thread while looking for inspiration on how to convert the Persona video game series (by Atlus, and a spin-off of their even larger Shin Megami Tensei RPG series), and your approach at converting Geist for Second Edition is seriously what I've been looking for. The way you give the Geist their own stats, the capacity of acting independently from their Sin-Eater, and how customization they are to the player's intended fighting style is beyond perfect.

I was wondering if I could have your permission to use your Geist material as a basis for my attempt at making a Persona: the Blatant Fanboy Pandering fansplat? For the moment it's one of those "only for my gaming group" type things, so I don't know if I would "publish" it online, but whether or not I make it a public project, full credit would obviously be given to you, with plenty of links to your original thread and google docs, to make sure people checkout your work.

Regardless, yo uare doing excellent work, keep it up!
    Of course you can use it, that's why its public. Attribution is all I request.

Persona was actually one of the inspirations for the hack, the other (larger) source being Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Though, fair warning, the hack does require a lot of cooperation between ST and player to make the Manifestation system work to its fullest. But you are clearly alright with large scale homebrew so that should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Taroh
    replied
    I stumbled on your homebrew thread while looking for inspiration on how to convert the Persona video game series (by Atlus, and a spin-off of their even larger Shin Megami Tensei RPG series), and your approach at converting Geist for Second Edition is seriously what I've been looking for. The way you give the Geist their own stats, the capacity of acting independently from their Sin-Eater, and how customization they are to the player's intended fighting style is beyond perfect.

I was wondering if I could have your permission to use your Geist material as a basis for my attempt at making a Persona: the Blatant Fanboy Pandering fansplat? For the moment it's one of those "only for my gaming group" type things, so I don't know if I would "publish" it online, but whether or not I make it a public project, full credit would obviously be given to you, with plenty of links to your original thread and google docs, to make sure people checkout your work.

Regardless, yo uare doing excellent work, keep it up!

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Your house rules for Aura Clashing are inspiring me to create a Hack for True Names. Each splat would have a different means to protect their True Name, and would suffer distinct drawbacks when someone uses it against them. This is meant to prevent mind readers and such from easily discovering True Names and enslaving other supernaturals.

Here are my vague ideas so far. What do you think? If you're interested, please send me a PM so we can discuss this further.

Werewolf: You may ask your Pack Totem to protect all the True Names of the pack. The Totem treats their protection as a Ban, but should you lose their favor somehow, your True Names will be vulnerable for a full lunar cycle (28 days). Certain spirits with the Binding Vow Numen may try to rope the pack into deals that use their True Names. Ghost Wolves can ask the Totem for this protection too.

Mage: Your True Name is securely locked within the Watchtower you signed. To discover it, others must enter your Oneiros and navigate the part that represents how you remember your Mystery Play and the Watchtower. This area will be protected by Supernal entities linked to your Path, Abyssals if you're a Scelestus and maybe Ochemata/Royal Avatars if you're a Seer with enough Prelacy. Certain Merits and Attainments can make this navigation easier.

Demon: You treat your angelic designation as a True Name, which is cut off from the G-M's databanks when you Fall. You may discover a Demon's True Name by investigating one or more of their Covers until they unravel from Compromise rolls. The Demon may attempt to buy back this information from you via a Pact only (no mind control or memory wiping powers, but everything else is fair game).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X