Can you Dodge Firearms in RAW New World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you Dodge Firearms in RAW New World of Darkness

According to the vanilla New World of Darkness rules (p. 156), can you Dodge (i.e., apply x2 defense) Firearms attacks? I think not, because defense doesn't normally apply.

Nope. If Defense doesn't apply, no Dodge.

Comment

I mean... Would matter even if you could? 2x zero is still zero.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        I mean... Would matter even if you could? 2x zero is still zero.
        But what if you have Brawling Dodge? You could manage up to 5 defense against firearms!

I think it's RAI that you can't dodge Firearms attacks, though I often house-rule that weaponry/brawl defense is the higher of Wits/Dexterity and firearms defense is the lower.

Comment

Doesn't Celerity allow you to dodge Firearms attacks, thus implying that without Celerity, you can't normally?

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

Originally posted by CJC View Post
            But what if you have Brawling Dodge? You could manage up to 5 defense against firearms!

I think it's RAI that you can't dodge Firearms attacks, though I often house-rule that weaponry/brawl defense is the higher of Wits/Dexterity and firearms defense is the lower.
            No such Merit in the revised rules. It's been replaced with Defensive Combat (Brawl), which adds your Brawl to your Defense, and you can't normally apply your Defense against Firearms.

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
            Doesn't Celerity allow you to dodge Firearms attacks, thus implying that without Celerity, you can't normally?
            Well, yes. I was just pointing out that even if you could dodge Firearms attacks, mathematically it wouldn't make a difference because Dodging allows you to roll (2xDefense) dice and your successes subtract from the attacker's successes. Without Celerity you would be rolling (2x0) dice, which is always going to be 0 dice. With Celerity you would be rolling (2xCelerity) dice, which is what Celerity allows you to roll to Dodge Firearms anyway. The rule is "no, you can't normally Dodge Firearms" but honestly even if it wasn't, Dodging Firearms wouldn't actually do anything anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
              No such Merit in the revised rules. It's been replaced with Defensive Combat (Brawl), which adds your Brawl to your Defense, and you can't normally apply your Defense against Firearms.
              Well there's that! : )

I was going strictly off the WoD Blue book, since that was what the OP referenced. GMC fixes this confusion and many others, which makes it a good source for RAI regarding the old Blue.

I was just trying to be funny, because brawling expertise making it possible to dodge bullets is pretty funny. : P
              Although... I suppose you could treat a Firearms dodge as a 'Dive for Cover' thing without changing how the rules are written (Pre-GMC, anyway). A regular person wouldn't be able to react fast enough, but someone with the right training (Skills plus Merit) might know how and when to duck and cover.

Comment

Originally posted by CJC View Post
                I suppose you could treat a Firearms dodge as a 'Dive for Cover' thing without changing how the rules are written (Pre-GMC, anyway). A regular person wouldn't be able to react fast enough, but someone with the right training (Skills plus Merit) might know how and when to duck and cover.
                I believe that's the first dot of the Close Quarters Combat fighting style.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Well anyone can go Prone as a reflexive action if they're being shot at, so that's kind of the closest thing to dodging a Firearms attack. Short of CQCŸ 2, as Leetspeak pointed out.

EDIT: And I just realized Pencil Boy was asking about "vanilla NWoD rules" not revised rules. My argument is invalid.
                  Last edited by Charlaquin; 08-13-2014, 01:27 AM.

Comment

I would allow dodging for cover as long as it could be reached with in your characters speed.

Comment

Well, I've heard that if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a bullet. Or was that a ball.

Comment

Do remember that you can apply defense to firearms attacks if you are in melee range. So one would probably also be able to dodge firearms attacks in melee range.

Comment

Working...
                        X