Mind Trick Merit [Feedback Please?]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mind Trick Merit [Feedback Please?]

Alright, so I'm looking at MugaSofer's "Jedi in WOD" merit-based hack, and one thing struck me.

Namely, GMC has no "Jedi Mind Trick" style Supernatural merits!

I find that kinda odd, given that psychics mentally coercing people into doing stuff is a pretty common trope for the kinda low-key ESP that NWOD draws on for its supernatural merits.
    So, to remedy this, I give you:

Mind Trick (•••)
    Effect: Your character can expend a little mental effort to make themselves extra convincing. Whenever you give another character a suggestion or offer an answer to their questions, you may spend 1 Willpower. If you do so, that other character treats accepting your suggestion or answer at face value as if it were an additional Vice for all intents and purposes. Your character may use this Merit without paying its Willpower cost if their suggestion or answer is already in line with the other character's Vice.

I'm not sure if I've got the costs right, but it should work out; the core benefit (that just accepting whatever you said acts like a Vice) gives both a mechanical (1 Willpower!) and a story incentive (believing you when you say that the envelope is full of cash (rather than monopoly money) just plain feels good). I specifically made it free to use against people who already have a similar Vice because it's easier to convince a greedy guy to buy into your scam (because they want to believe you).

It might need a bump, it might not. I'm kinda thinking of making it a 2-dot merit, with a 4-dot equivalent that would allow the other guy to treat accepting your suggestion/answer at face value as an additional Virtue as well (with a similar note with regards to it being free against people with compatible Virtues), but I'm not too sure about that.

Does anyone else have any Supernatural Merits they'd like to share? You know, low-key ESP stuff.
    Last edited by amechra; 09-30-2014, 06:38 PM.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.
Working...
X