Holistic Awareness Annoys Me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holistic Awareness Annoys Me

...mostly because of the tone; it gives me the sudden urge to slap someone and scream that MEDICINE AND SCIENCE DON'T WORK THAT WAY (if its repeatable, and you can show that its repeatable, most scientists will accept that it works. Come on, stop making me flash back to Exalted 1E's back cover, guys.)

But when I overcame my urge, I noticed that Holistic Awareness could be reskinned to let you use methods that should not work, no way, no how. Stuff like treating people with orgone energy, or bloodletting to get someone over their hangover.

I ended up rationalizing it as a very low-key Supernatural Merit - you're breaking reality to let "impossible" treatments work anyway. So I wrote this little thing up:

Heretical Medicine (• - •••)
    Upon taking this Merit, come up with the basic "theme" for your heretical medicine; maybe you believe bloodletting cures all bodily ills, or that a dietary regimen of thin soups cures most minor injuries and infirmities.
    Effect: Your character has hit upon a medical method that, according to orthodox science, should not work. In fact, your character has an innate, low-key biokinetic gift. As long as your treatment falls within your theme and your patient is not suffering from penalties due to Lethal or Aggravated damage, you do not need access to traditional medical equipment to stabilize the patient or treat injuries and diseases. With access to an area appropriate to your theme, you may make either a Wits + Survival or a Wits + Streetwise roll, whichever is appropriate, to gather all necessary supplies.

For each dot past the first, select one of the following options:
    • Your patient heals at twice the normal rate while under your treatment.
    • Your patient suffers no ill effects from your treatment, regardless of how conventionally dangerous it should be.
    • You no longer need access to traditional medical equipment to stabilize or treat a patient suffering from penalties due to Lethal damage.

Heretical Engineering (• - •••)
    Upon taking this Merit, come up with a basic "theme" for your heretical engineering; maybe you are sure that painting a car red makes it go faster, or that you can fix most problems with a car by giving it a stiff thwack.
    Effect: Your character has figured out a method for working with technology that should leave the machine a hunk of junk. In fact, your character has an innate, low-key technopathic gift. As long as your maintenance falls within your theme, you do not need access to traditional tools to repair, jury-rig, or tinker with a machine. With access to an area appropriate to your theme, you may make either a Wits + Survival or a Wits + Streetwise roll, whichever is appropriate, to gather all necessary supplies.

For each dot past the first, select one of the following options:
    • When you tinker with a piece of machinery, you can replace the type of fuel it uses to some fuel that falls within your theme. If the fuel in question is something blatantly out-of-the-ordinary, the machine is considered a Bygone.
    • When you tinker with a piece of machinery, you can increase the Durability or Structure by 1; this does not stack with previous uses of this merit.

Basically, Heretical Engineering kinda assumes that you have some system of after-market modifications for equipment. It also lets you make an Internal Combustion Engine that runs off of human blood, so there is that.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Are you talking about the 1e or 2e version of the Merit?

The 2e one seems to very thoroughly address your problems with it.

Comment

I'm actually talking about the 2e version; Heretical Medicine is actually based off of it mechanically.

I've not read the 1e version.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
        I'm actually talking about the 2e version; Heretical Medicine is actually based off of it mechanically.

I've not read the 1e version.
        I think you may have misunderstood the description. It's not that scientists scoff at their methods as impossible, they scoff because they make equipment that can do the things that a character with Holistic Awareness is doing with stuff they foraged (and I think it's fair to say, the equipment can do it better, hence why you need to have this merit to do this effectively). Think of Holistic Awareness less as someone who still thinks the body has humors, and more somebody using a poultice made from herbs which is essentially a less good version of ibuprofen and whatnot, and even then it has its limitations.

I think these powers are cool, but I also think it's worth keeping in mind that Holistic Awareness isn't actually that bad of a merit.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Also worth bearing in mind that magic blood doesn't let dead bodies get up and walk around, the moon can't make people change into wolves, and fairy tales don't really come and grab children.

Even if it was tapping into semi-mystical medicine thingies, things in the World of Darkness clearly work a little differently than they do in our world.

My Commandments for GMs My Commandments for Players

Comment

Ah, I misread it then. Now I feel kinda silly for reading it the way I did.

And I realize that Holistic Awareness is not that bad a merit; the point of this was to come up with a more generalized "form" of it that would let you perform impossible feats of medical... whatever. It's so you can make up a mad scientist type person who treats physical maladies with magnetism, or who can treat everything, up to and including bullet holes, by instructing their patient to take a lie-down ("oh, they just need a little bit of rest").

These are straight-up Supernatural merits that, on the surface, use the same general system as Holistic Awareness.

I kinda wish there was some system for making mundane objects with Craft (other than jury-rigging stuff or creating works of art)...

Comment

Working...
            X