Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrity is Comparatively Awesome

I just thought of something today.

Is Integrity the best "Integrity equivalent" or what?
    1. Breaking Points are based off of Attributes rather than a pre-calculated pool. So they naturally have a higher number of dice to throw around when keeping themselves sane.
    2. Once you have a high Integrity, it's easy to keep it high. A bog-standard (2 in all relevant Attributes) Mortal with Integrity 8 is rolling [6 - Penalties] dice. A slightly above-average guy (Resolve 3 and Composure 3) who picked up the 2-dot version of the Meditative Mind merit and who has Integrity 8 could commit a premeditated murder and, as long as they got their meditation in that morning, would have 6 dice to roll after penalties. This isn't even a really exceptional guy! This is a guy who decided to pick up meditation as a hobby a year or two ago.
    3. The only rolls that Integrity affects are Breaking Point rolls and rolls to interact with Spirits. Unlike, say, Vampires, a dude with Integrity 1 would still be playable/could still interact with society.
    4. Breaking Points are personal; at least 5 of them are going to be unique to you, which makes them feel more effective.
    Thoughts?

Side note: What does Meditation do in the GMC era? Degeneration rolls aren't a thing anymore (at least for Mortals). I've been playing it as a +1 to Breaking Point rolls, which is superceded by the bonus from Meditative Mind ••, but I'm curious what other people suggest.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

It's easier to be human. That's kind of the point in alot of World of Darkness games: being human is way eaiser than being supernatural. Sure, no super powers, but you get to keep your grip on reality and it takes alot (or really bad luck on die rolls) to drive you into the adyss.

Comment

Humans are made of stern stuff in the WoD because, well, they have to be. Sheer disbelief, cynicism, and skepticism probably means most of them are pretty darn mentally tough, even those we'd consider not particularly strong people. The note above about how a meditative individual of Integrity 8 could, mechanically, commit premeditated murder and not lose a point of Integrity is perhaps an excellent representation of how people can justify pretty much anything, but also gives you a pretty good idea of how monstrous even an "average" person could be.

Drives home another point. Regardless of power, purpose, or sanity- who's scarier; the Hunters who obey and kill without question and are still able to sleep rather well at night, or the Mage who knows what's behind the curtain and is unsure how to fight it?

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

You know what's really scary? The guy up there could lose his soul and probably go on with his life without many negative effects. Sure, he'd be a more vice-ridden person, but his Integrity wouldn't suffer for it too much.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

Comment

Oh, that is scary. Yeah, mortal humans are absolutely terrifying in the WoD. As much or even more so than the other things out there.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

That's actually a pretty interesting premise for a small group chronicle: what if no one notices that people have had their souls removed? It would be an interesting concept to explore. You have a seemingly normal and focused person who has occational outbursts of wild vice. For most people that behavior is acceptable in a neighbor or co-worker. But what if more people start to act that way? What if everybody else in the apartment building, besides you, starts to follow similar patterns? Now you, the only ones with souls, seem to be the freaks.

Comment

I can see a Reaper Legacy or a Demon justifying themselves by pointing out that most people are just fine after they lose their souls.

Oh, wait, some people who lose their souls become habitually more virtuous/nicer people.

Picture a random family man; his Virtue is Loving and his Vice is Ambitious. He's a bit of workaholic, but he makes sure he's there for the big events. He can't help but trip some people on his way to the top, though. (This reflects the fact that you can only get Willpower from your Virtue for big stuff, while every petty back-bite and overtime is fulfilling.)

One day, he loses his Soul in a tragic industrial accident (these things happen). Now, the situations are reversed; he starts putting more time into raising his kids, takes some vacation time off to take his son and daughter camping, is there at all their Little League games, and his marriage has a resurgence in romance. Meanwhile, he dials it back a bit at work... it's just... not as satisfying to work overtime everyday, you know? Except when there's a big project; then, working all night long on pots of coffee (which is really bad for his heart) makes him feel alive. (The positions have flipped; sure, he's still ambitious, but it takes big ambitious stuff to get the buzz, while spending time with his family consistently nets him the sweet, sweet WP.)

Now, if only he didn't feel so hollow inside; the doctor's assured him that that's just because of scar tissue from the operation, but sometimes... he isn't so sure...

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
                Now, if only he didn't feel so hollow inside; the doctor's assured him that that's just because of scar tissue from the operation, but sometimes... he isn't so sure...
                You know you could have someone in Soul Loss mistakenly diagnosed with depression or a similar condition. They go on medication and suddenly feel better because that's what the drugs do (powerful medications are probably good for a +1 or +2 equipment bonus on Integrity rolls).

Or, if you want a national conspiracy chronicle, you could reveal something bigger: that many people currently being treated as depressed have actually had their souls stolen and the medication allows them to continue functioning. Sure they take meds but everyone takes meds so they feel like they are part of society. Where are all of those souls going?

Comment

Recycling?

Comment

My knee-jerk response it to say that stolen souls in a national conspiracy chronicle are fuelling some kind of Infrastructure or powering an angel.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

The description of how souls act when separated from their hosts in the Mage core book actually made me end up viewing them with a kind of extreme suspicion. After all, without your soul, you can still think, feel, and function. Yes, your mind and free will slowly erode, so the soul definitely plays an essential function, but the soul by itself has its own mind. It is said to communicate via telepathy, to think and process and understand. It acts on interests of its own.

This means the soul is a fully sapient being, apparently with faculties of thought and communication beyond mortal ken, that lives inside a human being. It paints a picture of the soul more as a symbiotic entity rather than the person themselves; a thing you have, rather than are.

Comment

Originally posted by Axelgear View Post
                        The description of how souls act when separated from their hosts in the Mage core book actually made me end up viewing them with a kind of extreme suspicion. After all, without your soul, you can still think, feel, and function. Yes, your mind and free will slowly erode, so the soul definitely plays an essential function, but the soul by itself has its own mind. It is said to communicate via telepathy, to think and process and understand. It acts on interests of its own.

This means the soul is a fully sapient being, apparently with faculties of thought and communication beyond mortal ken, that lives inside a human being. It paints a picture of the soul more as a symbiotic entity rather than the person themselves; a thing you have, rather than are.
                        now, think- there are no humans reflected in the shadow. What happens what a spirit claims a human? Could the soul simply be a resonant reflection of each individual self and the integrity stat relate to it more than the human shell?

Comment

Working...
                        X