Think of fictional characters and say what they would be in CofD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think of fictional characters and say what they would be in CofD

As the title says. You may include an explanation behind your choice and some stats if you want. It does not have to be a perfect match.

Ghost Rider (Marvel Comics): a Sin-Eater. His Threshold is Torn and his Archetype is Reaper all the way. He has Rage 5, Shroud 5 and Hearse 5. He has the Pyre-Flame and Industrial Keys. He has a Memento motorcycle. He has a Reaper Merit that gives him +1 on attacks for each 2 points of Morality stat the target has below 7. He has a Flaw that only lets him use his powers when innocent blood is spilled, and once that happens, it's hard for him to stop. He can't harm anyone who he perceives as innocent (usually someone with Morality stat at 8 and higher, or who fulfills their Virtue often). Psyche is 7. Strength, Dexterity, Presence, Firearms, Weaponry and Drive are all at 5 or more. The Penance Stare is a quick Ceremony that requires a grapple and the target to be truly wicked. Its dice pool is Psyche + Presence vs Composure + Powerstat and it temporarily removes all willpower points, the ability to regain willpower and inflicts the Broken Condition.

The Doctor (Doctor Who): either a True Fae or a Genius. If he is the former, he is a Fairest (Telluric/Oracle/Artist). If he is the later, he is a Staunen and a member of the Navigators. Explanation for the former can be found here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-is-a-True-Fae.

Aang (Avatar: The Last Air Bender): a Mage. While his powers would suggest aptitude for Forces and thus the Obrimos Path, his connection with major Fate related events and his carefree personality suggest Acanthus. He would be a member of the Adamantine Arrow. If you are using Papa Bear's homebrew 25 Paths, Aang is a Magi (http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...1818#post41818).

Finn (Adventure Time): a Changeling. He would be a Fairest and his kiths would be Apollonian/Soldier (the Apollonian kith can be found here: http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Changeling_H...ths#Apollonian). The Land Of Ooo was where he spent his Durance, and his Court is Summer. He does have Court Goodwill with Autumn due to his fearlessness, as well as his penchant for investigating mysteries and uncovering secrets.

The Joker (DC Comics): a Slasher, natch. His Undertaking is Maniac. Alternatively, he is a Changeling or even a True Fae that really likes spreading chaos on the Ironside. His Seeming is Darkling and his Kiths are Razorhand/Moonborn/Lurker. If he is a True Fae, his Titles would be himself (Actor), a special gun (Prop) and a group of ogrish thugs (Wisp). Either way, his Morality stat is zero or absent altogether. I suggest using my reworked version of the Lurker kith: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...431#post349431
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 12-24-2014, 10:11 PM.

• Konradleijon
    replied
    A Character named Hope Abubakar from a NSFW FictionLive Story reminds my of a Princesses she being a champion of the Light against the Darkness she’s also a Trans girl that has Her “Real Form be her magical girl form

Leave a comment:

• Leliel
    replied
    Kimetsu no Yaiba is more or less exactly a CofD Hunter game where all the prey are Gangrel with various forms of unique Devotions, and the main antagonist is a draugr of the careful predator persuasion.

Seriously, Nezuko's initial behavior after becoming a demon is pretty much exactly how a newly Embraced vampire who goes into Hunger Frenzy until she realizes she's attacking her Touchstone should behave.

Leave a comment:

• lbeaumanior
    replied
    Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
    Anime made me remember Princess Mononoke. Ashitaka a Deviant? Or some sort of Spirit ridden?
    I'd say the titular heroine is wolf-blooded, her pack being powerful Wolf spirits.
    I have San as a Wolf-Blooded (among many other fully stated characters), but Ashitaka would have to be an involuntary Shadow Cultist.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    The story of "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" by Dr. Seuss could be interpreted as being about a Namtaru Ravager who only leaves his Lair out of spite and annoyance at the joyful winter festivities, which he intends to ruin and get a lot of Satiety as well. But as the well-known ending says, the residents of Whoville were the ones to Teach A Lesson to the Grinch, which he takes to heart and becomes a better person.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Saitama (One Punch Man) [True Fae Version]

This version of Saitama made the mistake of striking a Bargain with the Wyrd to be stronger than all the other Gentry. The Wyrd, as always, gave what was asked for at an equivalent price. Now he can defeat anyone and anything short of entities like the Exarchs and the God-Machine. However, the Wyrd sees that as boring and is constantly threatening to erase him due to a lack of stories to tell. That's why he seeks non-combat challenges all the time: his existential crisis is quite literally killing him slowly. Also, the workout routine? That was him doing the usual Gentry bit of not understanding how humans work, and suffering a Dramatic Failure on his Manipulation + Subterfuge roll.

Notes: Saitama has exchanged 25 Skill dots to acquire Immortal, Know Soul, Occult Sight, One Punch and World Crossing Step as Fae Aspects. He may activate Know Soul with Glamour, same as with Occult Sight and World Crossing Step. Mostly importantly, this sheet is firmly tongue-in-cheek and only hypothetically matters if he suffers Dwindling as defined in Equinox Road. In that case, he loses access to his Immortality and all the benefits of the One Punch, but can still use all of his other traits and his unarmed attacks deal +0L with Armor Piercing equal to his Wyrd. Otherwise, he always uses the One Punch. If someone manages to fool him into breaking a Pledge sworn on his True Name, not only is the Actor Title annihilated without regard for the Immortal Fae Aspect, but the entirety of his being is erased.

The reason that this version of Saitama cannot instantly defeat literally anyone and anything is that the Wyrd just doesn't have such omnipotence. Even if it did, it would not give such power to anyone because that would make all their stories pointless with minimal effort. And that is boring. Also, Saitama cannot defeat entities like Luna because they always win all Clashes Of Wills against lesser beings, as described in the section for Archmages in Mage 2e. Saitama in the Ironside counts as a lesser being in relation to Luna. Theoretically, if Luna entered the Arcadian Realm of Saitama in her entirety, he could annihilate her with One Punch. But come on, is that really going to come up?

Virtue: Justice
    Vice: Sloth
    Aspirations: Be a hero for fun, Pretend to be an Average Joe, Find someone who can give him a challenging fight

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 2, Wits 8, Resolve 10
    Physical Attributes: Strength 20, Dexterity 8, Stamina 20
    Social Attributes: Presence 1, Manipulation 2, Composure 8

Skills: Academics (Economics) 1, Crafts 2, Investigation (People In Trouble) 1, Occult 1, Athletics 5, Brawl 5, Empathy (Personalities) 2, Expression (Snarking) 1, Intimidation 2, Persuasion (Bargaining) 2, Subterfuge (Poker Face) 3

Merits: Common Sense 3, Danger Sense 2 (Advanced 2), Indomitable 2 (Advanced 3), Trained Observer 3 (Advanced 2), Iron Will 2, Untouchable 1

Willpower: 10
    Defense: 13
    Initiative: 16
    Speed: Special (See World Crossing Step)
    Health: 25 (Size 5)
    Wyrd: 10
    Regalia: All
    Seeming Blessing: Wizened
    Frailties: Must ignore anyone who talks too much (major taboo), must only communicate in brief sentences (major taboo), cannot harm anyone who offers him hospitality (minor taboo), can only fight in self-defense or to save someone in immediate and lethal danger (minor taboo), cannot refer to others by their actual names, only mangled versions or nicknames (minor taboo)
    Fae Aspects: Divine Flesh, Immortal, Know Soul, Numen (Occult Sight), One Punch, Ruled By Passion, World Crossing Step

Divine Flesh: Every True Fae shrugs off the blades and bullets of mere mortals, and even the mystical ravages of other monsters. They heal all bashing and lethal damage at the start of each turn, and downgrade all sources of Aggravated damage into lethal, except Cold Iron. This is an adaptation of the Immortal Flesh Fae Aspect from Changeling 1e.

Immortal: As per the Dread Power.

Know Soul: As per the Dread Power.

Occult Sight: Saitama is sensitive to supernatural phenomena. He notices the active use of supernatural abilities within the range of his senses and may make Perception rolls to approximate their distance and direction. In addition, by spending a point of Glamour, he can see through powers of concealment, illusion and deceit with a Clash Of Wills using his Wits + Wyrd as his dice pool. Lastly, he always knows when he is being targeted by a supernatural power and may mimic the Aura Reading Supernatural Merit, but activates it with Glamour and without drawback.

One Punch: Saitama can use all of his Arcadian power in the Ironside, but only for the purposes of combat. He has an additional number of dots distributed among Strength and Stamina equal to [Wyrd x 2]. When fighting lesser foes, Saitama forces them to use Down And Dirty Combat and gets automatic Successes equal to his Wyrd. When facing nominally equal foes, roll a Clash Of Wills consisting of his Strength + Wyrd vs the target's Stamina + Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance. Defeated foes are either removed from the fight or completely annihilated.

Ruled By Passion: As per the Fae Aspect of the same name from Changeling 1e.

World Crossing Step: As per the Surprise Entrance Dread Power, which Saitama activates with Glamour and uses to bypass Chases. Saitama triggers a Clash Of Wills against his Stamina + Wyrd when someone has supernatural means of escape. He cannot use this Fae Aspect to cross between the Hedge, Ironside or Skein. When not using the active effect of this Fae Aspect, he is considered to have a Speed of Wyrd x 50. He also applies his Defense against ranged attacks.

Indomitable (Advanced, •••) [Idea Borrowed From Xenorath]
    Prerequisites: Resolve ••••
    Effect: Any contested roll that would benefit from Indomitable receives 8 Again. In addition to this, if you spend a point of willpower on a resisted roll you may subtract a number of dice equal to your Resolve from the monster's dice pool instead of 2.

Trained Observer (Advanced, ••) [Written By WHW]
    Prerequisites: •••• in the Attribute you used to qualify for this Merit and ••• in the other, Trained Observer •••
    Effect: When something picks up your interest, it's like time itself slows down so you can take a look. When a basketball thrown at supernatural speed almost dunks your head and you barely dodge, it's normal for you to notice all the small details about it, just like when examining it while holding it in your hands. This Merit has two effects: One, it allows you to achieve Exceptional Success at Perception Rolls with only 3 successes, instead of 5. Two, it allows you to ignore up to Wits or Composure penalties to the Perception roll, no matter their source; for example, character with 4 Composure could ignore 4 out of 5 penalty assigned to the roll by Storyteller. This includes even Supernatural factors.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 06-08-2019, 12:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Made In Abyss is an excellent example of an Innocents Chronicle done right, but with a God-Machine focus. The titular Abyss and its artifacts are Infrastructure, and the creatures within it are Crypitds. Reg himself is a Cryptid, but with an unusual origin. He also has the Tether Propulsion and the Hellfire Exploit as Adaptations, which represent his extending arms and laser cannon, respectively. Riku and Nanachi are Stigmatics.

Black Hat from Cartoon Network's Villainous is great inspiration for an Incarnate Beast, and he'd fit pretty well as an Anakim Tyrant.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet Witch
    replied
    Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
    Scarlet Witch Your headcanon for Dexter's Laboratory reminded me of this homebrew.
    I was actually thinking of it too! But since I never read Genius I didn't feel comfortable mentioning it.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Scarlet Witch Your headcanon for Dexter's Laboratory reminded me of this homebrew.

Leave a comment:

• Teatime
    replied
    GibberingEloquence Heh, this takes me back... I don't have the book on me for cross-reference, so my post will focus on the "spiritual" side of your writeup. It does illustrate why the Batter is scary - not just because of being a nightmare in a fight, but also because of his impossible single-mindedness. "Stay in Your Coma" harkens back to your idea of making him an urban legend, which is an interesting wrinkle for this character. It even leans on his relationship with his puppeteer, which brings me to my only criticism: In order for the write-up to be useful in play, you must give your players means of opposing him. Turning his puppeteer against him could be a fitting way.

You maintain your preference for putting in so much stuff that the character sheet collapses under its own weight. This doesn't bother me in this case - if Heroes can attain Inheritance, this one definitely did.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet Witch
    replied
    I know this is going to sound reaaaaally freaking stupid? But I've recently been on an old cartoon-network cartoons binge trying to remember what kind of fever dream my childhood was (long story short it was a fever dream surprise!)

Which made me watch Cow and Chicken. At first I was like "whyyy did I watch this as a kid again" but then I suddenly became *fascinated* when my brain was like "OMG THE RED GUY IS TRUE FAE AND COW AND CHICKEN ARE IN ARCADIA" and I was actually laughing more at how much Red Guy *fits* as Fae than I was at the actual show. The way he switches roles using his Title of the Red Guy, how seamlessly he plays around in his world, if it is even his cuz, given how weak he is, the world might be some other True Fae who also only has one Title, leaving neither with much, uh, control.

The existence of Contracts sort of made the show more watchable too, as I suddenly realized that the kid's strange fixations might have to do with taboos and Contracts, like, the whole Supercow thing comes from Cow making a Contract to protect her brother in exchange for power even Red Guy can't deal with.

It also explains why these kids are baaasically adults in animal bodies, mind-broken into their rolls as kids to hobgoblin parents that they've forgotten the time they were really grown-ass adults. The world's capacity to do that would also explain why the Red Guy can get away with it too. The show also often contradicts itself about whether the main characters are adopted or born naturally, and being in Arcadia and changelings somehow makes it more sensible.

Okay so that's the really weird one.

Less weird was Dexter's Laboratory, which I decided Dexter is a Stigmatic in service to the God-Machine and builds Infrastructure endlessly in a facility set aside for Dexter to do this very purpose. All his advances go to the Machine, rather than humanity. Anytime Dexter gets out of hand, the G-M restarts the timeline and reboots Dexter's life, and on and on it goes, Dexter toiling away on gigantic towers of electronics and endless experiments that all seem to add up to *nothing*. Why is there so much stuff lying around that does seemingly nothing? The most valuable circuitry isn't what the human eye can see! Not even the engineer can see the occult mainframe. Perhaps his computer is an Angel.

My favorite part of this particular bit of madness is that, Dexter was shown in an episode to be terrible at efficiency and even an average electrician was able to massively improve any aspect of the Lab, far above Dexter, kind of hinting that a practiced and trained professional is still out of Dexter's league, so, how did he build all that stuff, and what's it actually doing if its so crappy?

Oh ye of little faith young Dexter, he needn't know the answers, as long as he does his experiments, God obtains Its Output.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Teatime Since we've discussed the Batter at length before, I'd like to know what you think about the version above. I think it's ideal.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    The Batter (Mortis Ghost's OFF) [Hero Version]

Note: This version of the Batter uses my homebrew rules for Heroes, which can be found here.

Life: Cautious
    Legend: Relentless

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 4, Wits 5, Resolve 6
    Physical Attributes: Strength 4, Dexterity 4, Stamina 5
    Social Attributes: Presence 5, Manipulation 1, Composure 5

Skills: Academics 1, Investigation 3, Medicine 1, Occult (Beasts) 4, Athletics (Running) 4, Brawl 3, Stealth (Shadowing) 3, Weaponry (Baseball Bat) 5, Empathy 2, Expression (Zealotry) 3, Intimidation (Cold Blooded Violence) 5, Subterfuge (Hide Motivations) 4

Merits: Epic Potential 1 (Resolve), Common Sense 3, Danger Sense 2 (Advanced 2), Fast Reflexes 3 (Advanced 1), Indomitable 2 (Advanced 3, Epic 4), Investigative Aide 1 (Occult), Trained Observer 3, Demolisher 2, Greyhound 1, Iron Stamina 3, Parkour 4, Iron Will 2, Defensive Combat 1 (Weaponry), Killer Instinct 3 (Advanced 1), Light Weapons 4, Aura Reading 3 (Advanced 4), Unseen Sense 2 (Beasts)

Initiative: 12
    Defense: 14
    Speed: 33
    Health: 14
    Destiny: 5
    Integrity: 4
    Gifts: Beowulf's Fury, Champion’s Endurance 4, Chosen Blade x 1 (Baseball Bat), Dragon Slayer 5, Heroic Leap 3, Kinslayer, Legendary Hunter, Open Gate 3, Real World 3, Saint's Whisper, Swift Destruction 5, Torch Of Clarity 4, Vanquisher's Strength 3, Warrior’s Speed 5
    Conditions: Delusional (Sacred Mission), Stay In Your Coma

Stay In Your Coma (Persistent)
    Effect: Whenever the Batter's Health is filled with Aggravated damage, he does not really die. Instead, he is sent to the deepest layers of the Primordial Dream and bides his time. Each Story, he can return by rolling Resolve + Composure - Lair of the Beast who killed him. A Success lets him manifest for the scene, while an Exceptional Success lets him manifest for the entire chapter. Furthermore, any Beast may willingly bring him back at any time. Doing so is as simple as opening a Primordial Pathway for him to step through. The Batter manifests inside the Lair of another Beast who the summoner has met personally and can name. If the Batter returns this way, he remains until killed again by a Beast. Summoning the Batter causes the Notoriety Condition.
    Resolution: This Condition ends only if the Batter suffers Destabilization (see Beast: The Primordial, page 244).
    Beat: Bring him back to kill another Beast and/or their Kin.

Indomitable (Advanced, •••) [Idea Borrowed From Xenorath]
    Prerequisites: Resolve ••••
    Effect: Any contested roll that would benefit from Indomitable receives 8 Again. In addition to this, if you spend a point of willpower on a resisted roll you may subtract a number of dice equal to your Resolve from the monster's dice pool instead of 2.

Indomitable (Epic, ••••)
    Prerequisites: Advanced Indomitable, Resolve •••••
    Effect: Any time you successfully resist or contest a supernatural power using Indomitable, the opponent suffers the Shaken Condition.

Aura Reading (Advanced, • To •••••)
    Prerequisite: Aura Reading, Wits •••, Empathy ••
    Your capacity to notice the true nature of others is honed to a fine edge. Add dots in this Merit to the activation roll for Aura Reading. Furthermore, you may see through active supernatural powers of concealment, illusion and deceit with a Clash Of Wills using Wits + Empathy + Dots in this Merit. This does not work on passive abilities, such as a Changeling's Mask or the Cover of an Unchained.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 05-30-2019, 10:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Leliel
    replied
    Speaking of, here's the character from the Asylum I think salvageable:

Dr. Franklin Reeves, the Freak (HERO System)

Family: Namtaru (Unfettered)

Legend: Childish

Attributes: Power 14, Finesse 12, Resistance 7

Corpus: 11

Essence: 45

Size: 4

Speed: 34

Initiative: 19

Defense: 7

Influences: Fear 1, Phobias 4

Numina: Awe, Bane Sense, Dement, Drain, Hallucination, Implant Mission, Invade Dream, Innocuous

Manifestations: Fetter, Mortal Mask, Nightmare Apparition, Realm Gateway: The Shadow, Realm Gateway: Temenos, Realm Gateway: Underworld, Unfetter

Ban: At his core, the Freak is a dark parody of his living self when he was about seven years old, As his frequent demands for others to "play with him" indicate, he really doesn't have much of an agenda beyond waiting for his mentor, Dr. Gans, to finish his Incarnation and his "game" of picking at the Integrity of his current "playmates". He cannot use Implant Mission except in the wake of his target losing an Integrity dot, and then only to act out something directly related to their own personal issues; he can command someone who doesn't think she's truly human to disguise herself and kill anyone who knows she's really not who she says she is, but not command her to lead him to a new feeding ground.

Bane: A copy of the first draft of Dr. Reeves' post-doctoral thesis; it symbolically forces the Freak to confront he isn't actually an echo of a childhood of a man who doesn't exist anymore, but a lost Horror.

Leave a comment:

• Leliel
    replied
    Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post

What’s this from?

The HERO System, a venerable superhero tabletop RPG. Fourth Edition Dark Champions (grim and gritty 90s style setting) sourcebook Underworld Enemies to be precise (which is useful for mining for CofD antagonists, if you don't mind 90s-era unquestioned assumptions; there's a crapton of transphobia going on with the character Tenderheart, and a bit of homophobia with Divine, though not so much they can't be salvaged; the Asylum presented in it is something I'm inverting utterly though, because it's definitely from the era where "insane" was shorthand for "violent and writer too lazy to come up with motive").

Leave a comment:

Working...
X