No announcement yet.

Updating Some Immortals! [PEACH]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also really old immortals are a limited resource. You kill them all and it'll take centuries to grow more.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
      Also really old immortals are a limited resource. You kill them all and it'll take centuries to grow more.
      If we include Reborn as immortals that can be harvested, and we count their age starting with their first birth, we could theoretically have a replenishing resource of very old immortals, as killing a Reborn physically does not necessarily prevent rebirth.

Technically this way a Harvester could live forever by stalking and killing the various incarnations of one old Reborn over the ages.

This would also explain the worth of the Blue Bodhisattva from the intro fiction.

Comment

You know, I've been wondering about that.

Eternals get back up one day later if their totem object isn't destroyed - so theoretically you could stick around the same Eternal and kill them everyday, racking up an insane lifespan.

Since the Harvester chapter makes it sound like they have to hunt around for them (and that, you know, they're Harvesters not Farmers), I feel like the Scythe was intended to perma-kill Immortals... but I'm not sure.

I'd be inclined to say that actual death is a requirement; Reborn are a loophole (an awesome one; you have to find the kid, after all), but an Eternal would only count if you perma-killed them, a Warden would only count if you dragged them out of the place they were watching over, Purified (and Spirits) would only count if you killed them at 0 Essence, Visitors would only count if you chopped their heads in two, etc, etc.

I'm probably going to fix them up so they don't get stuff from killing mortals, though.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

You could also go the other way and say that a scythe can perma-kill an immortal regardless of whether a full track of aggravated would normally do that, if you want to make them really scary.

Comment

You could also go the other way and say that a scythe can perma-kill an immortal regardless of whether a full track of aggravated would normally do that, if you want to make them really scary.
            I think this might be the best approach. It doesn't make it any easier for a Harvester to kill an immortal (good luck taking down that elder vampire) but it does give them some scary teeth if they do get lucky.

Reborn should be the exception.

Comment

I like that; consider it in. (Now, should it replace the improved chance of an Exceptional Success, I wonder...)

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

Comment

You're removing the stun, perma-killing can just be in place of that.

Comment

True 'nough.

Comment

So you guys inspired me to do my own work so I decided to go ahead and write a generic Unaging Condition. Which can apply to Mages using Magic, Changelings using that Goblin Contract. Or Blood Bathers taking that benefit from their Ritual. As well as my take on some of the other Immortals in the book.

I appreciate any and all feedback!

Unaging (Persistent Condition)
                    The character does not age. Years go by and the character does not show it, this can be remain unnoticed for a few years but unless the character regularly moves about people will eventually notice their unnatural youth. The character is also immune to disease and illness unless the source of this condition stats otherwise.

Possible Sources: Ceremonial Magic, Spells, or Supernatural Pacts can all grant the character the Unaging condition.

Resolution: This condition fades after a time determined by the source of a magic or the character is murdered. A Pact may wear off in seven years, while a bloody ritual could last as little time as a week. Unless stipulated elsewhere the character resumes aging as normal (no sudden acceleration).

Beat: N/A

Blood Bathers
                    The Facets of the Blood bathers ritual work great as it. I'd just treat the potential effects as Conditions so not a lot of work needed here.

Visitors
                    As for these guys, I decided to turn it into a Manifestation Condition for ephemeral beings. So you can get things like Angels hiding in Humans, Demons whispering in a mortals ear (either in place of or in addition to Whisperers from Inferno), etc, etc. It also still works for the Visitors as written, it would just be up to the Storyteller to stat them up as ephemeral beings, and what to do about Generational Visitors.

The Visit Manifestation
                    The entity has made a small home for itself in the human’s mind. From there it can communicate with the human, and when the host sleeps, can take control of the body. It can not use the hosts skills or memories while controlling the body. While in the body, the entity grants it’s host the Unaging Condition as well as increasing the hosts healing factor by four, with limbs regrowing in two to six months and organs being replaced in two. If the entity desires it may let the host use it’s Numina, which are powered by Willpower instead of Essence.

While inside a human mind the entity does not lose Essence, but also may not regain it.

Prerequisites: The soon to be host must be under the Open Condition, tied to the entity attempting to enter the hosts mind.

Causing the Condition: This condition is created by an entity using the Visit Manifestation on a human with the Open Condition.

Ending the Condition: This condition ends if the entity chooses to leave the host, or if the hosts brain is destroyed.

Wardens
                    When I first read Wardens I didn't know anything about Spirits, but looking back on it now they appear to some sort of Claimed, so I figured they could be represented in a similar manner:

Wardens are created when a powerful location Spirits decides to imbue a mortal with power in order to extend it's influence into the mortal domain.

To create a Warden the Spirit must first have the mortal under the Controlled condition, then it must use the _____ Manifestation to imbue the mortal a fraction of it’s power. The mortal gets the following advantages and restrictions:
                    • Unaging: The Warden’s immortality is bound to the region that resonates with their patron if they leave the area, not only do they lose their power, they being to age one year for every hour they remain outside the region. Leaving is also painful, simply leaving the region levies a -1 wound penalty that increases by one every hour up to -3. Returning to their patron’s domain restores their power and age at the same rate.
                    • Patron’s Will:Warden’s are aware of the desires of their Patron and treat it as a second Vice.
                    • Mind’s Eye: Warden’s are aware when an enemy or other danger enters the region. Also by spending one point of Willpower they may “project” their vision anywhere within the region.
                    • Natural Affinity: Animals will not attack or threaten the Warden, they will even allow the Warden to walk up to them and help them if needed. Nor will they flee the Warden’s presence.
                    • Influence: Warden’s are treated as having ••• Influence (Patron’s Domain). This is limited to 12 meters away from the Warden and only applies to the environment itself, not the wildlife or people within. Willpower is substituted for Essence. The influence Effects only ever cost 1 Willpower, but extending the duration to 10 minutes costs an additional point of Willpower (requiring a second turn for activation), and a duration of 1 hour costs 2 extra points of Willpower (Three turns to activate).
                    • Physical Prowess: Wardens gain +1 to their Physical Attributes while in their Patron’s Domain.
                    • Regeneration:Warden’s heal 1 point of Bashing every eight minutes, Lethal is healed in four hours, Aggravated in a day, limbs in a month, and organ’s in a week.
                    Prerequisites: The soon to be Warden must be Controlled by the Location Spirit hoping to deputize the mortal.

Causing the Condition: This condition is created when a powerful Location Spirit uses ______ Manifestation.

Ending the Condition: This condition ends when the Warden is killed. The condition may also be stolen, to do so the potential usurper must first weaken the region without destroying the spirit’s magic or revealing their part in it. If this is accomplished, they may declare themselves the challenger. Then there is a contest this can be of any nature (physical, mental, magical, or a combination of the above). The winner of the contest gains/keeps the Condition, and the loser rapidly ages and withers to the point of death, the power of which restores the damage done to the region.

The reason I have blank spaces in the text is because I have no idea what you'd call that power.

Last but not least:

Eternals

Eternals are represented with the below Condition:

Phylactery (Persistent Condition)
                    The character as tied their mortality and death to a physical object of their own creation. As long as the creation remains in existence, so too will the character.

This grants them the following benefits:
                    • Rapid Healing: Bashing heals in two minutes, Lethal in eight hours, Aggravated damage in a day, limbs in two months, organs in a week.
                    • Resurrection: A day after “being killed” they will return to life with the health track as it was before “death” with only one clean health box.
                    • Shadow Wounds: If their anchor is damaged, they receive a similar amount of damage that can only be healed by repairing their Phylactery with magic or their own hands.
                    • Reinforce: Eternal can spend a point of Willpower and roll Presence + Crafts to grant their creations (including the Phylactery) 2 points of Durability. If repairing or cleaning something they didn’t create they need to spend 2 points of Willpower. This power can only be used on a given object once.
                    • True Worth: With a simple Wits + Crafts roll the Eternal can determine an Item’s Cost, age, and if it is fake.
                    Resolution: This Condition is only resolved if someone destroyed the Phylactery

Beat: Having the Phylactery stolen, or badly damaged grants the Eternal a beat.

Currently I have no idea how to tackle Body Thieves. Maybe someone else will have some ideas, or I'll get some inspiration later!

Edit: Changed "The Visitors Manifestation" to "The Visit Manifestation" like amechra suggested.
                    Last edited by Afro Luigi; 01-24-2015, 11:54 PM.

If I post any good ideas regarding house rules feel free to use them! Giving me credit is optional! All I want is people to have fun!

Comment

Nice work! A few comments:

• I made up the Immortal Healing trait specifically to cover Immortals healing faster; while it is not as crazy fast as the original Immortals, it does heal lost limbs and organs more quickly, so I see that as a toss-up. If you don't mind me stealing your Unaging Condition, I'll fold the two together, and we'll have something light-weight and portable.

• I think we should go with the same general idea as 2e Claimed for Blood Bathers; basically, they can buy Dread Powers as merits, which are only available while they have the Unaging condition. Then tie the duration to some factors like how much blood and what blood you're using.

• The Visitor Manifestation should be a verb; how about the Visit Manifestion, which gives the Visited Condition (lets the guy being Visited use the EB's Numina with WP instead of Essence, and allows the Visitor to take control of the host when they go unconscious). Have it build of the Urged Condition, maybe? All Visitors would get the Visit Manifestation as well as the Endless Visit Numina, which gives the host the Unaging Condition for as long as they sit in their head.

• Eternals could be represented in a slightly simpler way; the Phylactery is a merit which grants you the Unaging Condition, gives you Influence (Handmade Objects) • (which you can fuel with Willpower instead of Essence), and prevents you from dying from having your HL filled with Aggravated. Of course, I play with an extra one-dot Influence based on learning information about the Influence, so for me that would cover everything.

• Body Thieves? They honestly look fine from where I'm standing; I'd rewrite their Merits to reflect 2e standards, but the actual body-swapping looks like it still works fine. If I was to rewrite it... I'd base it around the Body-Hopping Resurrection houserule I posted over in the Geist forums a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
                        • I made up the Immortal Healing trait specifically to cover Immortals healing faster; while it is not as crazy fast as the original Immortals, it does heal lost limbs and organs more quickly, so I see that as a toss-up. If you don't mind me stealing your Unaging Condition, I'll fold the two together, and we'll have something light-weight and portable.

Go right ahead! And ya, a standardized healing time would be slightly easier to handle/and remember.

• I think we should go with the same general idea as 2e Claimed for Blood Bathers; basically, they can buy Dread Powers as merits, which are only available while they have the Unaging condition. Then tie the duration to some factors like how much blood and what blood you're using.

This I'm not so sure of. Blood Bather's weren't very strong to begin with. A permanent Attribute boost was a +3 Facet, and a temporary buffing effect was a +5 Facet. Although if was to represent those powers with Dread Powers, I'd make it every dot in a Dread Power counted as a +1 Facet to the Blood Bathing Ritual. Which on the other hand creates Blood Bather's with interesting tricks, which I am liking the sounds of.... alright you've convinced me.

• The Visitor Manifestation should be a verb; how about the Visit Manifestion, which gives the Visited Condition (lets the guy being Visited use the EB's Numina with WP instead of Essence, and allows the Visitor to take control of the host when they go unconscious). Have it build of the Urged Condition, maybe? All Visitors would get the Visit Manifestation as well as the Endless Visit Numina, which gives the host the Unaging Condition for as long as they sit in their head.

Good catch! This is why I avoid naming things. I'm not very good at it. And tying the Unaging Condition to a Numina is simple way of representing it. As for Urged, I'm not sure how that would work.

• Eternals could be represented in a slightly simpler way; the Phylactery is a merit which grants you the Unaging Condition, gives you Influence (Handmade Objects) • (which you can fuel with Willpower instead of Essence), and prevents you from dying from having your HL filled with Aggravated. Of course, I play with an extra one-dot Influence based on learning information about the Influence, so for me that would cover everything.

I like your idea more for it's simplicity, although I'm curious about this "extra one-dot Influence" you are talking about?

• Body Thieves? They honestly look fine from where I'm standing; I'd rewrite their Merits to reflect 2e standards, but the actual body-swapping looks like it still works fine. If I was to rewrite it... I'd base it around the Body-Hopping Resurrection houserule I posted over in the Geist forums a while back.

I kinda want to tie the Soul Loss mechanics in somehow. But I have a feeling that is making it too complicated. Which we established is how I seem to do things, for example my Eternals. Other then that, they do look fine.

If I post any good ideas regarding house rules feel free to use them! Giving me credit is optional! All I want is people to have fun!

Comment

Influence (Whatever) • is Strengthen, and would cover their whole "make objects I create tougher"; I also play with a "Discover" effect at Influence •, which essentially gives whoever has it Unseen Sense (Influence) and an "Ask Questions To Learn Stuff" thingy (in this case, I'd use an equivalent of the Taste merit.)

Basically, the way I run things, Influence (Handmade Objects) • lets you do the following:
                          • Passively pinpoint all handmade objects that you can see/hear/taste/feel/smell (automatically fails against supernatural disguises.)
                          • Spend 1 Essence: Make hand-made objects tougher or improve their Equipment Modifier; lasts for a few turns*.
                          • Spend 1 Essence: Pinpoint any handmade objects in the same scene as you, getting a roll-off against supernatural concealment; lasts a few turns*.
                          • Duplicate the Taste merit with regards to a given handmade object.

*I play with a different timescale for Influences; in my games, the "default" duration is a Scene. So these would last a Scene in my games.

Of course, most people don't play with my Influence houserules... so maybe going with Influence isn't the best idea. Hm.

When an EB uses Fetter, it gains the Fettered condition and whatever it's Fettered to gains the Urged Condition (if and only if it's sentient). The Urged Condition basically lets the EB give their "host" urges to do stuff that the EB wants. Just build on that, and Bob's your uncle.

Blood Bathers... sounds like we're in agreement. Excellent!

For Body Thieves, you could require that their target has the Soulless condition. After all, magical Body Thieves required that their target had no Willpower, so why not extend that to "must not have a soul." Fluff it as slipping into a gap.

Comment

Influence (Whatever) • is Strengthen, and would cover their whole "make objects I create tougher"; I also play with a "Discover" effect at Influence •, which essentially gives whoever has it Unseen Sense (Influence) and an "Ask Questions To Learn Stuff" thingy (in this case, I'd use an equivalent of the Taste merit.)

Basically, the way I run things, Influence (Handmade Objects) • lets you do the following:
                            • Passively pinpoint all handmade objects that you can see/hear/taste/feel/smell (automatically fails against supernatural disguises.)
                            • Spend 1 Essence: Make hand-made objects tougher or improve their Equipment Modifier; lasts for a few turns*.
                            • Spend 1 Essence: Pinpoint any handmade objects in the same scene as you, getting a roll-off against supernatural concealment; lasts a few turns*.
                            • Duplicate the Taste merit with regards to a given handmade object.

*I play with a different timescale for Influences; in my games, the "default" duration is a Scene. So these would last a Scene in my games.
                            That's actually quite cool, gives mechanical support for Ephemeral beings "homing in" on their stuff. (for example; ghosts and their anchor, spirits and stuff they Resonate with, etc, etc.)

As for the rest, Awesome! Also I'll have to think some more on mechanics.

Comment

Originally posted by helel View Post
                              Reborn should be the exception.
                              There's also Amarthine: Reborn Forever from Drivethru if you wanted to make them a major splat too.
                              They have a few special conditions and their own form of magic.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ndetta-Forever
                              Last edited by RogerD; 01-29-2015, 06:37 AM.

Comment

So I've been doing more work on my Immortal Houserules, and they've gotten a bit longer so I'm just going to link to the Google Doc that I've been using. You can find the link below, and any feedback would be appreciated here, also I've enabled commenting in the doc itself.

The links in the Document mostly lead back to various posts made in this thread. The only one that doesn't is the Purified template, which links to their thread and the post with a full update for 2nd Ed accounting for the release of WtF 2nd Ed.

Linky

Also would those of you I've linked mind me just putting the rules you've contributed in the doc themselves? I'll post links to the original posts you've made for crediting purposes!

Originally posted by RogerD View Post

There's also Amarthine: Reborn Forever from Drivethru if you wanted to make them a major splat too.
                                They have a few special conditions and their own form of magic.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ndetta-Forever
                                This does sound interesting but isn't in my budget right now. Also I'd like to keep the various Immortals fairly close to their 1.0 versions as possible (not sure how well I did). And the Reborn in WoD are just Mortals who happen to Reincarnate.
                                Last edited by Afro Luigi; 03-30-2015, 02:58 PM. Reason: Fixed the Link after I broke it.

Comment

Working...
                                X