Converting Gargoyles: The Vigil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Gargoyles: The Vigil

So, I am looking for some serious help in converting Gargoyles: The Vigil to GMC. I am not as familiar with all of the changes GMC as I should be and I am actually good friends with Lee Garvin - the guy who did it so I want to surprise him with a complete update. He is busy with other witing projects and missed out o

I am hoping to get a few dedicated people to work with me on this. Here are the links (one is the .pdf and one is the raw text in wiki form);

http://www.scribd.com/doc/96117271/G...e-Vigil#scribd

http://sars.wikispot.org/Gargoyles:_The_Vigil/Rules

I want to transfer over all of the raw fluff text to the new edition - its the rules - powers - etc that is going to need the work. I want to give them their own power attribute for sure.

Anyway, thoughts?

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson

I'd say wait to do extensive work on this until Beast: The Primordial comes out. I mean, just to be safe.

A lot of ideas could potentially overlap with these two splats, and the one thing you don't need is a fan splat which a main game line makes redundant.

Comment

It's safer to wait those few months than start work only to see that some things have been done for you by developers.

“I am absolute, I am perfect, I am supreme. I shall be eternal. My tragedy, is that there is no other fate for me. My powerlessness was that I couldn’t subjugate my journey to the gods, while dreaming of rebirth at the end of distant time, like other pharaohs.” Ramesses II, Fate/Prototype: Argent Fragments.

Comment

My main thought is that you're slightly misrepresented your request: one thing is moving a Storytelling fan-splat to GMC-compliant rules, and another thing is moving a StorytellER fan-splat to the Storytelling system. This was clearly designed for the Classic World of Darkness, not the current one that GMC is the Second Edition of. This is a much larger project than your initial post suggests.

I wouldn't wait for Beast, anyway. Mostly because this is very specifically based on Gargoyles the TV show, so whether it treads on Beast or not is inconsequential. I might wait in case Beast has some really good rules/systems, though!

Comment

Originally posted by gebbethine View Post
          My main thought is that you're slightly misrepresented your request: one thing is moving a Storytelling fan-splat to GMC-compliant rules, and another thing is moving a StorytellER fan-splat to the Storytelling system. This was clearly designed for the Classic World of Darkness, not the current one that GMC is the Second Edition of. This is a much larger project than your initial post suggests.

I wouldn't wait for Beast, anyway. Mostly because this is very specifically based on Gargoyles the TV show, so whether it treads on Beast or not is inconsequential. I might wait in case Beast has some really good rules/systems, though!

I am sorry if my initial post was confusing. This fan splat was already created for the Classic World of Darkness and I would like to bring it into GMC - compliant rules. I think the first part of it will be pretty easy - it will start getting complicated when we get to the powers and some of the other oddities.

Sure, Beast might have some cool ideas that I can use but I might was well start the leg work - and due to funds - that book could be on the wishlist for awhile.

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson

Comment

I downloaded the pdf and plan to read it over the next week to so, as I have time. I can't promise anything but I'll probably have some time to do rules conversion next week.

Comment

Originally posted by helel View Post
              I downloaded the pdf and plan to read it over the next week to so, as I have time. I can't promise anything but I'll probably have some time to do rules conversion next week.

I do appreciate it. I have already started on the conversion - I am using the vampire splat/creation as rough guideline. I am putting in up in a Google doc. I think the physical powers could just be their vampire equivalent clones. The rest are going to be a little tricky. I am giving them an essence pool to be used with their power trait <--- This was lacking in the original.

So, let me know when you get around to reading it and I will get you the google doc link.

Comment

I have actually made really good progress in the conversion - though I am to the Endowments - but I have renamed them aspects....So, here is my first hurtle;
                Breathe of the Guardian
                The stone-carvers who first turned their hideous decorations into defensive weapons based the idea on the stories of battles fought against the Gargoyles. Some of them have a predilection towards violent regurgitation on the battlefield. This sputum was never actual food, however. Their enemies would soon find themselves bathed in boiling oil, molten lead, or other similar substances. The Gargoyle breathe appearance and potency depends on the level of mastery. The Gargoyle must ingest raw material to have access to this power, but once consumed the Gargoyle does not need to consume any more during the night to have continual access to this power.
                * Boiling Water
                ** Boiling Oil
                *** Blazing Oil
                **** Molten Lead
                ***** Magma

Thoughts? Comments?

Comment

Well, since you're going right ahead…

Are you updating the Gargoyles to the NWoD's other supernatural creatures as well? I mean, a lot of the background has changed, not just for the supernatural creatures but the World of Darkness as well...

Comment

Originally posted by hellovg View Post
                    Well, since you're going right ahead…

Are you updating the Gargoyles to the NWoD's other supernatural creatures as well? I mean, a lot of the background has changed, not just for the supernatural creatures but the World of Darkness as well...
                    I am going to do my best - I think most of the information in the original conversion was pretty generic. It think where it got specific was where they talked about the outlooks. That I will have to tackle and will probably need help on as well.

So, I have been thinking about the above aspect - and here is what I am thinking - to just keep it simple;

So, here is what I am thinking for above;

Level 1: +0 bonus
                    Level 2: +1 Bonus
                    Level 3: +1 Fire
                    Level 4: +2 Fire
                    Level 5: +3 Fire

Dexterity + Firearms pool with a range of ???

Comment

The Range of Supernatural Resistance Stat?

My Bloodline conversions
                      My House rules

Comment

Personally I'd start working on it now, and when Beast Comes out if it has, some over lap with then re work it.
                        The problem is that the Second Edition WoD is very different from Classic, but WoD-> GMC-> Second Edition could work.

Comment

Originally posted by Songtress View Post
                          Personally I'd start working on it now, and when Beast Comes out if it has, some over lap with then re work it.
                          The problem is that the Second Edition WoD is very different from Classic, but WoD-> GMC-> Second Edition could work.

I have already started working on it. I already have character creation done, power attribute, essence pool, etc. I need to post up the next power that is giving me problems. Isnt second edition just suppose to be a more polished GMC with all of the rules in one book?

Comment

Here is what the last power looks like all finished up...
                            Breathe of the Guardian
                            The stone-carvers who first turned their hideous decorations into defensive weapons based the idea on the stories of battles fought against the Gargoyles. Some of them have a predilection towards violent regurgitation on the battlefield. This sputum was never actual food, however. Their enemies would soon find themselves bathed in boiling oil, molten lead, or other similar substances. The Gargoyle breathe appearance and potency depends on the level of mastery. The Gargoyle must ingest raw material to have access to this power, but once consumed the Gargoyle does not need to consume any more during the night to have continual access to this power.
                            * Boiling Water
                            Cost: 1 Essence
                            Dice Pool: Dexterity + Firearms
                            Action: Reflexive
                            Duration: Instant
                            The Gargoyle spews forth what appears to be boiling water at a range of 10/20/30 that does +0 [L].
                            ** Boiling Oil
                            The Gargoyle spews forth what appears to be boiling oil at a range of 10/20/30 that does +1 [L].
                            *** Blazing Oil
                            The Gargoyle spews forth what appears to be burning oil at a range of 10/20/30 that does +1 [L] and is considered fire damage.
                            **** Molten Lead
                            The Gargoyle spews forth what appears to be molten lead at a range of 10/20/30 that does +2 [L] and is considered fire damage.
                            ***** Magma
                            The Gargoyle spews forth what appears to be magma at a range of 10/20/30 that does +3 [L] and is considered fire damage.

Comment

I do not know where to even start with this...Thinking about converting the old Gargoyle bloodline discipline from the Camarilla book...

Gargomancy

This most rarest of Endowments is the special magic of Gargoyles. So rare is it, in fact, that not all Clans even have a Gargomancer, and none have more than one, possibly with an apprentice. This art has to do entirely with affecting Gargoyles, and can only be performed by them.
                              At each level of Gargomancy, the character gains access to different effects.
                              * Scenting: The character can track by scent anyone he knows very well, and can smell the differences in types of stone and can detect other Gargoyles.
                              * Blending: By standing still, the Gargoyle takes on the appearance of stone and will be mistaken for a statue. Four successes on a Perception + Alertness roll with a difficulty of 6 are necessary to realize that the Gargoyle is not a statue.
                              ** Sealing: The character can seal any two pieces of stone together, so that they effectively become one piece. This is a very effective second layer of defense for a Rookery.
                              This ability cannot be used to repair broken Gargoyles.
                              ** Revealing the Flow: The character can see and follow the flow of Quintessence, Gnosis, or even Quickening (if Immortals rules are used). On a Perception + Gargomancy roll with a difficulty of 6, three or more successes will also tell the character what kind of energy it is (including Sphere).
                              *** Borrowing Might: With this effect, the Gargomancer leeches dots of one Physical Attribute from one character, and bestows it upon himself temporarily. The character must spend a Willpower and roll Gargomancy with a difficulty of 6. Each success transfers one dot. The Gargomancer must take all of the dots accounted for. If this would drop the donor to zero or less, then the Gargomancer only gets as many points as the donor had, and the donor passes out. If the donor is willing, no extra roll is needed. However, if the donor is unwilling, she may make a Willpower roll. Each success eliminates one success from the Gargomancer. These effects last for one scene.
                              *** Lending Might: This effect is the opposite of Borrowing Might. The Gargomancer spends a Willpower point and rolls Gargomancy. The Result is the number of points in one Attribute that are temporarily lent to another character. Again, if the total brings the Gargomancer to zero, he passes out. This also lasts the entire scene.
                              **** Revisionism: This is a very unusual effect. The Gargomancer may carve a feature for a Gargoyle (including himself) out of stone and attach it to the Gargoyle's body. The Gargoyle then holds the feature on himself and waits for sunrise. At the next sunset, the feature becomes a part of the Gargoyle until sunrise, when it returns to its natural stone and falls off. The feature may be a weapon, a limb, an extra tail, armor, or anything that would appear to be a part of the monster's body. In order to achieve this, the Gargomancer must first have available a carving of the desired feature that was created with at least 5 successes. Then he spends one point of Legendary Potential, and rolls Intelligence + Gargomancy with a difficulty of the target's Stamina. As with Sealing, this cannot be used to repair broken Gargoyles.
                              **** Sculpting Life: The Gargomancer may imbue statues with temporary life by spending one Legendary Potential and one Willpower, and rolling Intelligence + Gargomancy with a target of 7. These statues, which may be prepared ahead of time, can be of small animals, people, creatures, or even titanic monsters. These creatures will only retain life for one night and one day, until the following sunset. The attributes for the creatures are assigned by the Gargomancer, with the numbers determined by the number of successes. The statue will have one Talent, one Skill, and one Knowledge, that the Gargomancer has, all at the same levels as the Gargomancer. Otherwise, they have no Abilities except for those bought with Freebie Points. These creations have a Willpower equal to the number of successes rolled to create them, and will only do their creator's bidding if they lose a contested Willpower roll. Keep in mind, that while the creation will still be alive during the day, it's master will most likely be stone.

Comment

Working...
                              X