Purified and the God-Machine Spirit Rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purified and the God-Machine Spirit Rules

I recently picked up WoD: Immortals, and I have been working on converting the system to work with the new GMC rules update. The Experience system is pretty easy to convert over (2 experiences for Numina and 1 experience per dot of Siddhi), but I'm having trouble figuring out a couple of things.

1. How does one represent player Purified characters who are spirit projecting into the Shadow? Do you average their traits to get power/finesse/resistance? Should they subject to the (complicated) new Spirit rules?
    2. Should they be able to buy any of the numina available to spirits in the God-Machine Chronicle? So far, I'm saying yes.
    3. Is any reason Purified shouldn't be able to buy Forsaken gifts at the same cost as Siddhi? (Maximum dot value capped by effective spirit rank.)

Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
    Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

I wouldn't let them get Gifts because they're not Uratha.

I've been pondering the rules and I think averaging might work, though adding them together and dividing them by two might produce significantly stronger Purified.

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
      I wouldn't let them get Gifts because they're not Uratha.
      Claimed have access to Gifts as Aspects and several Gifts have been explicitly viable as Numina since Werewolf Core.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Having not read Werewolf, that's entirely my fault and makes sense then. Mea culpa!

<3

Comment

Bearing in mind that they're not Uratha, I've added some restrictions on the Gifts they can purchase. Here's my Purified: GMC Expansion.
          Immortals: the Purified
          Setting expansion and GMC rules update

Character Creation

Mortal to Purified
          Ritual
          Intelligence + Occult (cannot be unskilled). Anything short of success indicates character death. If successful, the character is sent into the Shadow and must return to their body, which must not be moved, examined, or autopsied.
          Template
          The new Purified gains 1 dot of Chi and the Spirit Projection power. (Optional) Give them three experiences that can only be spent on Numina, Siddhi, or Gifts. They must roleplay gaining these abilities from spirits.

Starting as base Purified
          A starting Purified at around 100 (if active) to 200 (less active) years of age has the following template added to Step Five of the character creation rules in the World of Darkness as modified by the God-Machine Chronicle Update. The Purified template includes 1 dot of Chi, 3 extra merit dots, 6 extra skill dots, 4 dots of Siddhi, Numina (each costs 2 dots), or Gifts. By the end of character creation, 2 of the character’s dots must be in Occult. Chi can be increased during character creation for the cost of 5 merit points per dot of Chi.

Starting as older Purified
          As base purified with extra experiences at character creation.
          Average 200-year-old or less active 300-year-old purified: 10 Bonus Experiences
          Average 300-year-old or less active 450-year-old purified: 15 Bonus Experiences
          Average 400-year-old or less active 600-year-old purified: 25 Bonus Experiences

Experience costs
          Merit: 1 Experience per dot
          Skill Specialty: 1 Experience
          Skill: 2 Experiences per dot
          Attribute: 4 Experiences per dot
          Integrity: 2 Experiences per dot
          Willpower: 1 Experience per dot
          Chi: 5 Experiences per dot
          Numina: 2 Experiences
          Siddhi: 1 Experience per dot

Gifts from Werewolf: the Forsaken
          Gift Mechanics
          Spirits generally grant their gifts to the Uratha, but some spirits can be convinced to teach them to respected Purified who provide them something of value in return. Purified cannot teach these to anyone unless they are projected into the Shadow with the “Spirit Projection” Siddhi. There, they are nearly indistinguishable from spirits, and can similarly teach these abilities to the Uratha or other Purified, provided something is provided in return. Gifts cost the same amount as Siddhi, but they are capped by the Purified’s effective spirit rank (Immortals p 100). Use the activation dice pool listed in Werewolf: the Forsaken, but substitute the Purified’s Chi in the place of the listed Renown trait. Gifts must be purchased in the order listed in Werewolf: the Forsaken, unless the player spends 1 extra experience.

Gift Lists
          Death
          Elemental
          Evasion
          Insight
          Inspiration
          Knowledge
          Nature
          Sharing
          Stealth
          Strength
          Technology
          Warding
          Weather

To Do:
          Figure out Spirit form rules/conditions.
          Add Bans and Banes to more fully reflect the spiritual nature.
          Update Integrity to match the new state.
          Last edited by Octavo; 12-31-2013, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Numina

Numina are drawn from the God-Machine Chronicle. (R) indicates that the Purified must be in a twilight state, or inhabiting their bodies, or using a power to reach across the Gauntlet.
            Name Activation Dicepool Location
            Aggressive Meme Manipulation + Expression + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 228
            Awe Presence + Intimidation + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 228
            Blast Dexterity + Weaponry + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 229
            Dement (R) Presence + Intimidation + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 229
            Drain Wits + Larceny + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 229
            Emotional Aura (R) Presence + Expression + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 229
            Firestarter (R) Wits + Occult + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 229
            Hallucination Manipulation + Subterfuge + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 229
            Implant Mission (R) Manipulation + Persuasion + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 229
            Innocuous Dexterity + Stealth + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 229
            Left-Handed Spanner Intelligence + Crafts + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 229
            Mortal Mask Penalty equal to Wits God-Machine Chronicle p. 229
            Omen Trance Intelligence + Occult + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 229
            Pathfinder (R) Wits + Investigation + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 230
            Rapture (R) Presence + Empathy + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 230
            Resurrection
            (Costs 5 Experiences and can only be purchased at Chi 5 from a Spirit of Healing rank 4+.
            Wits + Medicine + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 230
            Speed
            (Ephemeral only)
            N/A God-Machine Chronicle p. 230
            Sign Intelligence + Expression + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 230
            Stalwart Highest of Resolve or Composure as Defense instead of the lower of Dexterity and Wits. God-Machine Chronicle p. 230
            Telekinesis (R) Dexterity + Athletics + Chi God-Machine Chronicle p. 230
            Modified Trait: Integrity
            Integrity functions as written on God-Machine Chronicle p 184, with the following modifications. The Purified do not suffer any breaking points for witnessing or being assaulted by the supernatural.
            When Integrity reaches zero, the Purified loses the ability to return to their body instantly at a locus and becomes a full spirit. Their traits are converted into spirit traits based on rank and all skills are forgotten. If the Purified gains even one point of Integrity, and finds where the body is kept, s/he may return to the body using the usual mechanics in World of Darkness: Immortals.

Spirit Form
            The Immortality of the Purified is based on their ability to project themselves into the spiritual realm known commonly as the Shadow and to Uratha as the Hisil. When they use the Shifting or Projection Siddhi, or their bodies are killed, they are converted into an ephemeral form.

Traits
            As they are not true spirits, they retain all of their traits, including attributes and skills. Their ephemeral form is known as a corpus, but it is equivalent in extent to the health trait. It can be healed point for point with essence expenditure.

Bans
            Bans are mystical compulsions that increase in complexity as honorary rank (Immortals p. 100) increases. A ban must be chosen at character creation and can be changed when the Purified buys an additional point of Chi. Guidelines and suggestions for bans can be found in the God-Machine Chronicle (p 221). When a Purified is inhabiting their body, they can spend a point of willpower to avoid the effects of the ban. This is not an option when in spiritual form.

Banes
            Some Purified are able to project themselves into the state of twilight or use numina to project themselves across the gauntlet and have to contend with banes. Each Purified’s twilight form has a bane that causes aggravated damage to its corpus. As for bans, guidelines and suggestions for banes can be found in the God-Machine Chronicle (p 221). Note: banes have no effect when a spirit is fully on the shadow side of the Gauntlet.
            Last edited by Octavo; 01-01-2014, 04:08 AM.

Comment

I like it. I was thinking of that one Numina from Mummy that gives Ghosts back their full traits and using those traits for their Numina, I think this is a really cool way to approach the Purified. Hat off to you!

<3

Comment

Thank you! I decided to allow them to keep their full traits since the design of the 3 factor numina dicepools in Immortals seems to indicate that full traits were supposed to be used regardless of circumstance. I forgot that Mummy has some additional Numina. I'll have to see if any of those are worth using.

Comment

Originally posted by Octavo View Post
                  Thank you! I decided to allow them to keep their full traits since the design of the 3 factor numina dicepools in Immortals seems to indicate that full traits were supposed to be used regardless of circumstance. I forgot that Mummy has some additional Numina. I'll have to see if any of those are worth using.
                  I think it's up to you, I don't think they're GMC adapted and GMC might've supplanted the usefulness of a lot of them. Personally I recommend looking at some of the new Numina in the Demon the Descent corebook, as those provided there are good for Angels as well as Spirits, particularly Transmute.

<3

Comment

Have you determined how Purified interact with the new Conditions in GMC that govern spiritual interaction?

Revlid wrote:
                    Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

I was thinking that they don't in general since they don't have manifestation abilities like full spirits do. They don't really need an open condition to manifest since they use their Siddhi to project into the shadow/twilight/underworld, etc.

Comment

I meant as far as regaining Essence goes; I should have been more clear!

Revlid wrote:
                        Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

I think I would hew to the original rules that the Purified can gain essence from a locus (shadow side of the gauntlet only), by getting it as a gift or trade from spirits or other purified, or they can steal it from ghosts, spirits, other purified, or maybe even angels (if you want to piss off the God-Machine).

Comment

Can Purified in this sense increase their Attributes like spirits do by spending Essence? It is, of course, less efficient for them because they have 9 Attributes instead of 3, but it's a thought.

Revlid wrote:

Comment

Bumping this to see if Octavo has any more awesomeness for us. If not, this is still an excellent conversion! The way the Purified are done seems really well suited to a powerful but minor template for nWoD, and it's great to see them make the leap.

<3

Comment

Working...
                              X