Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carnival of Freaks (simple template factory)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carnival of Freaks (simple template factory)

so, while I'm working especially on Conjurer and some other homebrew, there are some other splat ideas which rattle in my head- so I've decided to post them! They are going to be very ruff, without a developed setting behind them, X and Y splats or their own powers (I am mostly going to reference to Hunter's Dread Power). I assume that I'll post one per week, but that would be the best case scenario. Some of those templates are actually expansions of ideas which I've found in the old WoD wiki, so I am going to mark them with * . Anyway, feel free to say which you want to see first!

Daemon *- silent beings which once lacked awareness until they were summoned from their misty planes and bound into a body of flesh and bone, and now are burdened with choice and free will
    Sorcerer *- scholars with the shard of an ancient Codex in their souls which see to complete the compendium of knowledge in order to discover the truth
    Warlock *- paranoid and broken souls motivated to attack each other and steal their magics who distort the world around them.
    Fiend *-fallen humans who has made a deal with the infernal Host, and are now promised to Hell.
    Exorcist- holy men and women who are able to banish evil spirits and work miracles
    Risen *- ghosts who returned to a semblance of life and try to escape their own death
    Grim- entities from a lower realm who devour light and life out of fear of vanishing
    Tulpa- beings who were formed out of pure passion and hope until they have became real
    Intruder- alien spirits who force their essence into the elements of the world to make a body of their own
    Wisp- tricksters and illusionist who bring chaos to anywhere they go
    Lidrec- incubi and succubi who manipulate mortals to their own enjoyment
    Reaper- eaters of souls who fight against the madness
    Hive*- a person who turns into a part of the greater collective and serves its will

Done-
    Eidolon- faceless shifters who take the form of other people
    Ophidian- ancient serpents from time unknown who exact vengeance of the dead
    Last edited by LostLight; 06-12-2015, 12:25 PM.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Daemon, Intruder, Tulpa, and Eidolon sound the most interesting.

Comment

Daemon, Eidolon, Tulpa, and Ophidian have my vote.

Comment

I particularly like the idea of sorcerers, warlocks, ophidians, intruders, and eidolon

Comment

Eidolons

How does one define herself? Is it her personality? Her way of thinking? Her achievement in the world? How can one identify another? By name? by emotional connection?

Or is it all being around faces?

Eidolons are shapeshifters- creatures without a form to call their own. While there are many shifter in the World of Darkness, most of them are focused around becoming something other then humans- bestial hybrids, horrible abominations in human skin, dark shadows which posses meat suits to walk unseen among mankind. Eidolons are different by the fact that they are, in many ways, humans- only that they lack a certain trait. Their face.

No, don't worry- it's purely metaphorical. They aren't some blank faced creatures who inspire horror in the hearts of the innocents (well, they CAN be, but they don't have to). Instead, think about it for a second- when you walk down the street, you meet a bunch of strangers. After getting back home, how many of those strangers would you recognize if you'll see them again? Not much. However, if you'll meet the same person again and again, you would eventually recognize them. Eidolons are different. Every time you see one, he or she would look.. different. Even if it just a small detail- like a different hue of their eyes, or a scar which vanished without trace- but it is enough to make you wonder for a few seconds whether that person is truly the same one you saw last time.

Most Eidolons aren't even aware of their nature. Many would just live their life in loneliness, wondering why they make people so uncomfortable around them and why it seems that no one remember their existence. It all changes if and when the Eidolon looks in the mirror and notice the same thing about herself. For the first time, she starts noticing that her face aren't as constant as the ones of other people. She understands that it shifts and twist without control, always changing. She understand that she doesn't have a "real self"- only an illusion, a mockery of identity.

And then her face vanish, and she is left to scream in silence.

Once the Recognition happens, there is no going back. While the Eidolon gain a control over her shapeshifting ability, every time she would look at the mirror she would see those empty faces instead of her own. She needs to learn how to maintain her human facade, maintain a strong memory of her former look, or else no one would recognize her. Worse, sometimes she would lose her control over her face, showing everyone her true nature. Others, however, embrace their mercurial nature, taking the forms of other people freely for personal profit and pure joy. But leaving humanity so much behind may be dangerous- for sometimes, the Eidolon may forget she was human once upon a time- leaving her face behind forever while turning into a shadowy figure which can only be seen trough reflections and camera.

The Eidolon Template

Integrity: Every time an Eidolon suffer from a Breaking Point, she would temporary "lose her Face". Any person looking at her would have to roll Willpower, where failure would mean ignoring the very existence of the Eidolon and Dramatic Failure would mean noticing her blank face and suffering a paralyzing fear, gaining the Shaken Condition. That effect lasts for 10- Integrity minutes. Once an Eidolon falls to Intergity of 1, she lose her face permanently, and the only way to see (or hear. or interact with her in any possible way) her is through reflective surfaces (like mirrors) or recording systems (like cameras and audios). She may also "lose her Face" at any given moment.

Power Sources: Eidolons may gain Willpower by consuming the identity of another person. That may either by using their Memory Theft ability and then consuming it (which is a Breaking Point for Integrity above 3) or destroying an item of importance which belongs to another.

Potency: Eidolon's Potency trait is called Persona. The higher their Persona is, the more easily the Eidolon can control their shifting nature. At Persona 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9, the Eidolon choose a certain "Face", which is a form she can turn into freely without the need to mimic someone. A Dramatic Failure at a Breaking Point, however, results at losing one of those Faces permanently- yet it could be bought as a 3 dot Merit (and yes, you can buy even more Faces as Merits and the Sanctity of Merits works on them).

Features:
          Occulted- add 10- Integrity penalty to any attempt to remember, scry, or track down the Eidolon. Add to that penalty the Eidolon's Persona if she lacks Face during that time.
          Mimicry- by touching an item belonging to someone else, the Eidolon may expand a Willpower point and roll Persona + Manipulation. A Success means that the Eidolon may use that person' appearance for [Persona] days. Exceptional Success means that the time is doubled. That time doesn't need to be constant- that Eidolon may take breaks, and the time is adding up. A Failure means that nothing happened. A Dramatic Failure means that she is losing her Face, like in the case of a Breaking Point.
          Memory Theft- what does shapeshifting means without the memories? By touching a person (or an item of deep importance to the target) the Eidolon may "copy" a certain memory to her mind. She need to roll Persona + Wits, and she gains a number of memories equal to her Successes. She may use that power upon the same person only once per 10- Persona days. An Exceptional Success is no different then regular one. Dramatic Failure, however, means sharing one of your memories with the target. Once stolen, the Eidolon may consume any of those memories freely for Willpower- one point per memory. Doing so would erase that memory from the mind of the victim, and is considered a Breaking Point as detailed above.
          Regeneration- thanks to the fluid nature of their body, Eidolons heal faster then humans- much faster. They heal one level of Lethal Damage per minute, and may even regenerate lost limbs, although it requires her to sacrifice one of her Face (and in that case, no Sanctity of Merits. You got your arm back- and you want more?)

Dread Powers: Appropriate Dread Powers are the ones based around Illusions, Trickery, Manipulation, Mind Control, Shape Shifting, Healing and Draining abilities.

Flaws- looking at an Eidolon through a silver mirror (that is, after the Recognition happens) or one a device which "see" in UV light would reveal the true nature of the Eidolon without suffering from the mystical effects of "losing the Face". Plus, a damage dealt from the shards of broken mirrors is always Aggravated, and forcing the Eidolon to lose their Face without the negative effects (although that works only on the one to cut it. The rest of the people must still roll for Willpower). Finally, while high Persona is usually good, it does have a nasty side effect- for the higher their Persona is, the harder is for them to maintain their Face. Add [Persona]/3 rounded up penalty for Breaking Points.

so, here are you face stealing Eidolon! Hope you like them! Thoughts and suggestion are welcomed, and I am still counting votes for the next Template.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Hmmm. I think I will inlude Eidolon NPC into my game.

Warlocks, Sorcerers, Ophidians, Conjurers and a post about vampires in this thread.

Comment

Glad you liked it, and if you do use an Eidolon please share how it was

about Conjurer- unlike those guys, this a big project which, unfortunately, I do mostly by myself, so I post new things every time I get in the mood. I do plan to continue my Cosmology thread, but before vampires I would post mummies, cause they are easier to integrate.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Ophidians please.

Comment

Ophidians

Snakes were always a big part of human culture. The serpent tempted Adam and Eve to eat from the Forbidden Fruit. The Nagas rule upon water to bring both prosperity and disasters. The Basilisk kills with its eyes alone. Egypt, the Levant, West Africa, Greece, India, Australia, Mesoamerica and Korea are only small parts of the places were snakes were worshiped as divinities. They were seen as creatures of death and rebirth, who know the hidden paths of the Underworld. The Ouroboros is the symbol for that faith- the snake would never die, never be consumed, and the world itself is the serpent. Some claim those mythological connections came from the closeness between the snake and earth, and that their shedding of skin was seen as immortality.

Those who know about the Ophidians claim otherwise.

No one knows from where those beings came from. Some say that they originate from an alien dimension, invading the world from it roots. Others believe that they were born from the very bones of the world, slithering through the empty voids inside the earth. The Ophidians by themselves don't know- or care. They are ancient, but they don't keep track of history. It is not important- not so much as advancing their agenda.

Most of the Ophidians have never saw the "Upper World". They were born in the eternal darkness of the Underworld and there they stay. They swim in the cold rivers unharmed, and coiling themselves in the deepest tunnels. The Guardians of the Dead usually don't act against them- millennia ago, when they have just made contact with the world of the dead, they gained some sort of "diplomatic immunity" from the Deathlords and their hounds. As long as they don't defy their laws in public, they won't act against them. While it may sound easy, it is not that simple- for those serpents are big, so big that they could destroy a small city simply by moving in their sleep.

While most are quite happy from their life below the earth, sometimes they are forced out of their comfort. Maybe they broke one Law too many. Maybe they have angered one of the chatonic monsters of the Underworld. Maybe they found an enemy among their kin. Maybe they are just bored. What ever the reason may be, they decide to move outside of the World of the dead, moving in the secret paths only they know until they reach the surface world. Then, they discorporate, turning into liquid venom which would burn anyone who would touch it. Some then flow into a recently dead body and take it as their own. Others wait for an unfortunate man to touch them, killing and possessing him so fast that no one would notice the change. Then, they usually wait for what trouble that was caused to pass...

If only it was that simple.

Because of their connection to the Underworld, they actually bring the dead body into a semblance of life- not truly alive, but in a way which leaves the lingering memories of the dead alive inside their minds. Those memories drive them forward into fulfilling the passions and regrets of the body they took- if they like it or not. Trying to work against the will of their dead host would end up with harming their own body, until eventually their venom would burn the flesh and return them into their vulnerable liquid form. While they can possess a new body, if they'll collapse in the wrong place or time they would die. Also, while it would seems like all they have to do is waiting outside of the Underworld until who ever they have angered would forgive them- one needs to remember that their enemies are usually either dead or immortal, and the dead know how to hold grudge.

Still, it could be worse. It is not like there is someone who wants to milk your venom to make themselves immortal or something...

Oh, wait. There are.

The Ophidian Template

Natural Weapons: the Ophidians have a deadly venom which they could use in two ways. The first is biting- anyone bitten by a serpent gets the venom injected into their body and suffer from one level of Aggravated damage, and then it starts effecting them as regular tissue dissolving venom. That venom effect even undead beings, considering its both mundane and supernatural nature. Another use for the venom is spitting- creating a spree which harms and blinds the target. While that use cause only Bashing damage, it would blind the target for another of minutes equal to their Potency trait. This is a ranged attack, and effects only creatures with eyes, although it can effect being in the Dead Frequency of the Twilight of the Ophidian chooses to.

Armor: decided by their Potency score.

Power Sources: Warming in the sun for ten minutes while exposing most of their skin would give them one Willpower point per day. Devouring a dead body or soul of a human would refill they Willpower pool.

Integrity: Ophidians are subject to the regular Breaking Points except of one which connect for witnessing a supernatural phenomena. This is because of their connection to the memory of the body they wear. In addition, they have a number of "passions" equal to their Potency trait, which represent the will of their host. Defying those passions is considered a Breaking Point. In addition, every time they roll for a Breaking Point they suffer from one level of Bashing damage. If they fail the roll, they also suffer from one permanent level of Aggravated damage. Once they need to roll for Breaking Point when they have Integrity of 1 or that all of their health levels were filled with Aggravated damage, their body is destroyed and they are forced into their liquid form. The only way to reverse the process is by rising back their Integrity or by their Skin Shedding ability (although even then, when they reach the rock bottom of their Integrity they still lose their body and need to find new one)

Potency: the serpent's Potency trait is called Toxicity. The higher their Toxicity is, the more powerful is their venom, and as such they body changes better to fit their needs. At Toxicity 2 and every 2 dots above it, the Ophidian gains one dot of natural armor. That armor manifest itself as tiny scales which cover their skin, and the higher their Toxicity the more obvious those scales are, giving -1 modifier from all social rolls with anyone who isn't a reptile of some kind. Also, drinking/ being exposed to poison gives them a single Willpower point per scene.

Features:
                  Death Sight: Ophidians have connecting to the world of the dead, and as such they can sense it. They can see into the Dead Frequency of the Twilight and interact with those who are found in that state of existence. They can also sense ghostly phenomena like ghosts, Avernian Gates, sin eaters and more. They can also navigate their way through the Underworld instinctively, never going lost in the Grand Below.
                  Diplomatic Immunity- Underworld: while in the Underworld, as long as they don't publicly break one of the Old Laws, the Kereboi would ignore them. Even if they do so, the Kereboi would usually be satisfied for a warning, as long as they don't do it rapidly (usually not more then two or three times per thousand years). They can also swim through the Rivers unharmed, but can not enjoy the effects given from drinking the cold waters of the Underworld.
                  Immortality: Ophidians don't die out of old age. While their human bodies may rot, as long as they aren't slain or that their venom form is destroyed they can live forever.
                  Shedding the Skin: This a limited ability which can be used a number of time equal to their Toxicity score. Rising your Toxicity means gaining further uses of that ability, but will not reset them (that is, you have a maximum of 10 uses). One could get further uses above 10 by devouring a living human whole, something which can be done be detaching their jaw- doing so would automatically result in losing an Integrity dot, but without the level of the Aggravated Damage. Once using that ability, the Ophidian can cheat death- the Ophidian is healed automatically from all of the damage its body has suffered, including the permanent one given from losing a failed Integrity roll. Switching a body would not reset that ability.
                  Hypnotic Charm: the Ophidians are a manipulative race. They made add their Toxicity score to any roll involving Manipulation.
                  Healing Poison: While they are creatures of death, Ophidians also hold the key for life. If they wish, they can create all kinds of medicines. By expanding a Willpower point and drinking their venom, the target can heal one level of Lethal damage. By expanding 2 points, they can heal any mundane sickness or poisoning. 3 points would help dealing with supernatural diseases and toxins, including their own poison. By sacrificing a Willpower dot, they could even regenerate limbs and cure chronic diseases. That efefect can not be used on Ophidians because of the Venom Immunity ability.
                  Venom Immunity: Ophidians may not be poisoned by any mundane or supernatural toxin. Their body just absorb that poison and gives them Willpower.
                  King of Serpents: The ophidians can talk with snakes and reptiles freely, and can command them to do as it wishes by expanding a Willpower point.
                  Key of Immortality: not much an ability as a quality, when captured in their venom form they could be distilled into a special serum which gives the drinker 10 years of life per dot of Toxicity. As you may guess, some occult groups search for those snakes in order to use their venom for their benefit (see potential Hunter Conspiracy which will be posted by demand)

Common Dread Powers: Any power which is connected to reptiles, poison, death, healing, ghosts, hypnosis or sight.

Flaws: Ophidians are cold blooded creatures, and so they hate cold. They suffer -2 modifier to all rolls when the temperature is below 20C, -3 when it is below 10C and -4 when it is below 0C. When the temperature is below -10C, they are forced into sleep until it rises back into a warmer temperature. In an addition, anytime they touch something which should make them suffer from a frostbite, that damage is considered Aggravated. If they are attacked by a weapon which is colded to a temperature below 0C, that damage ignore their defense. Also, while in their liquid form, they suffer from one level of Lethal damage when exposed to an heat source and are not contained in a closed vessel. Dying in that form is permanent.

That template represent only the Ophidian's human form. Their Serpent form is considered unplayble, and will be posted by demand for antagonists. Once possessing a body, the Ophidian can't leave it as long as the body functions.

So- here are the snakes! what is the next template you would like to see?

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Somebody watched Justice League, eh? That show was awesome.

I actually had a simmilar idea for my own Geist Chronicle. Might steal some of what you've written here for it. Its neat. I especially like the "Key of Immortality" thing. Gives a mortal Necromancer a reason to try and call one up here, for hilariously catastrophic results.

My vote for next one falls on Fiend/Excorcist, which incidentally has nothing to do with the fact that I've also had simmilar thoughts concerning said Geist Chronicle. You cant prove anything...

Comment

lol- actually, while I've saw the show, I didn't thought about that episode while written the splat. Maybe it was my unconscious :P

anyway, I'm glad you like it, and feel free to use it in your Geist game. If you do, please share how it went

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Interesting. I'll put my next vote in for Daemon or Intruder.

Comment

My vote is for Fiend next!

Comment

Intruders please! They sound the most promising to me. Also may I make a suggestion: a template based off someone who has been Embedded with a shard from Heaven's Gate as it is always under siege from the forces of Hell.

Comment

Originally posted by TheScottishFianna View Post
                              My vote is for Fiend next!
                              Already done, see here

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                              X