Leviathan: The Cult Chronicles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimborg View Post
    Killerclown brings up a good point: what are the extent of the activities you can perform while your Leviathan is Dead But Dreaming?
    Not that much. You're limited to channels/adaptations that explicitly state they work when you're dead and channels/adaptations that explicitly state they work while you're dreaming. Your cult can use Rituals like normal.

Though on the other hand, that list does let you possess a Beloved to use as an avatar. So a dead leviathan could make a very atypical charachter for a mortals+ level game.

Originally posted by Jimborg View Post
    Are they still subject to the same Tranquility requirements for human contact as before? Does psychic interaction count as human contact? Can you use Ichor to go to a lower Depth, so as to gain access to your powers and gain better control of your Cult?
    Yes to all three. However psychic interaction that works on targets within a certain distance of you won't work, because your mind is somewhere beyond this mortal plain and thus out of range (unless you're currently possessing an avatar). You have to use things like Contact List.

Heck, you could probably do most of a campaign around just bringing yourself back from death, though it'd be more "Sim Cult" than your standard WoD game.
    Sim Cult is pretty much the intent. The ability to survive death is mostly there to be a last chance to claw your way back to life. You could play an entire story of "Sim Cult" if you like, and there's potential with using a dead Ophion as a nearly unkillable reoccurring antagonist who appears as the puppetmaster behind a new cult every a few sessions after you exterminated the last cult.

However the intent is that you use this state to plan your cult's heist on the Cheiron Group laboratory storing your body and then order them to supply you with Ichor so you can regenerate. My hope is that the many limitations of being dead will add to the fun of organising your own rescue; but I'm not really worried if the novelty wears off after a while.
    Last edited by The Kings Raven; 03-03-2017, 07:03 AM.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
    My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
    Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

• Beast

Of all the creatures of the World of Darkness, only the Begotten claim a shared descent of Tiamat with Earth’s Most Wicked. Many of the Children would be thrilled upon discovering the Tribe, viewing them as something akin to a long lost sibling: both feed on the minds of men. Both of their predations inevitably create Heroes (or Ahabs, in the case of Leviathans). The Makara even share the Leviathan's aquatic inclinations, leading to speculation that the former were the predecessors of the later (or vice-versa, in the view of the Leviathans concerned).

Upon closer inspection however, The actions of Leviathans tend to confuse and mystify The Children: while they can appreciate the value of cultists as a convenient food supply, they are unsure what role Beloved are supposed to play in the Primordial Dream. What’s more, Beloved cannot be used as pathways to the Primordial Dream: trapped in the Leviathan’s psychic orbit, Beloved are cut off from the Astral plane, and are thus unable to be used as a gateway to the Primordial Dream with the Under The Bed ability.

This first impression is not reciprocated by the Tribe. They view the Begotten as, for lack of a better word, posers.

Beasts seem wholly unconcerned with seeking evidence of their much vaunted lineage lineage. For all they complain about Heroes not understanding their place in the Primordial Dream, Beasts themselves seem to have relatively little interest in the quest for self identity that consumes the Tribe.

While there’s no way for Leviathans to conclusively disprove claims of shared lineage (especially given the similarities above), Beasts claim that every supernatural is descended from Tiamat. As followers of the School of the Sand point out, any theory you can’t disprove is no theory at all. Not to mention that the souls of Beasts reek of humanity, regardless of whatever twisted forms their Souls take. Just because you look like a squid and act like an asshole doesn't make you a proper monster.

It would be remiss to mention that the Tribe’s animosity towards the Begotten at least partially stems from jealousy. Lacking the Wake, a well fed Beast can live among humanity in ways that the Tribe can only dream of.

Sidebar: Nightmares in the Deep

Though it seems like a Beast’s Nightmares are exactly the sort of thing a Leviathan’s Ocean Minds defense would apply to, Leviathans are just as vulnerable to a Beast’s Nightmares as any other creature in the World of Darkness. It is only when the effects of a Beast’s Nightmares attempt to directly influence their mind, soul, or emotions that Ocean Minds is tripped. For example “Behold my True Form” inflicts lethal damage, and affects the Leviathan’s body, not their mind. By contrast “Run Away” or “You Must Obey” directly attempt to directly influence the Leviathan’s behavior and therefore trigger Ocean Minds.

Similarly, while most of a Beast’s kinship powers treat a Leviathan as a fellow Child of the Dark Mother, using Thicker than Water provokes a Leviathan’s Ocean Minds defense and a clash of wills, as the power attempts to influence how the Leviathan feels towards the Begotten.

Non-Euclidean Labyrinths

To an aspiring Lovecraftian demigod, a Beast’s lair may seem to be the perfect spot to hide and plot your next move.

The unfortunate truth is a Begotten’s lair is among the last places a Leviathan wants to be, especially if they are trying to keep a low profile.

Remember: a Beast’s lair is located within the Primordial Dream, part of the collective human consciousness. The same mechanism that lets the Beast’s soul hunt in the local mindscape can also carry echoes of the Leviathan’s Wake, creating Beloved and Ahabs in unexpected places, who are sure to cause the Leviathan trouble later.

On the other hand, Beasts create new chambers in the Lair through breaking points, and few tools are as useful in that regard as a Leviathan’s Wake. In a pinch, the extra defense a new Chamber provides may be worth the risk to a Beast and/or Leviathan under siege.

Feeding Frenzy

Beasts are able to use Family Dinner to sympathetically feed from Leviathans as they regain Ichor. Specifically, Beasts can regain Satiety through observing a Levithan making a Havoc or Dominance check, most instances of a successful Fervor check, and certain Channels that grant Ichor through the use of predatory means. As a rule of thumb, if it restores Ichor and requires the Leviathan to act in a physically predatory fashion, it restores Satiety.

Some Beasts have also reported feeling especially full after a given ‘hunting session’ with a Leviathan, receiving unexplained additional Satiety. Only those with intimate familiarity of the Leviathan psyche realize this Satiety comes from a Leviathan’s mind feeding on itself. For whenever the chains of Eunoia or Phronesis slip, the sociopathic deity and the savage beast feast on an increasingly unstable human psyche, restoring both Ichor and Satiety in the process.

This can result in rapid Satiety gains that can force a Beast’s Soul into dormancy if they aren’t careful. For example, say that a Beast is observing a Reef Leviathan who is set on destroying a rival. During the battle, the Leviathan get’s particularly cross and decides to consume their rival, body and soul. This would potentially provoke two instances of regaining Ichor from degeneration (a Phronesis check for eating it’s body, and a Enuoia check for eating its soul.) and regaining Ichor from eating it’s soul, providing an opportunity to gain three Satiety from the same act.

The Beast, however, will only be aware that a potential to regain Satiety exists, and not the exact amount. If, this would force a Beast above 10 Satiety, their Soul is forced to disgorge the excess horror, forcing them to spend one Willpower per Satiety they wish to disgorge (the Hunger Management merit can reduce the amount of Satiety you have to deal with). This excess horror spreads nightmares, similar to when a Beast’s Soul is Ravenous. Such nightmares often serve as a clue or omen to all nearby that something great and terrible has happened.

Sidebar: “You tricked me!”

Invoking the “Feeding Frenzy” rules above uses the themes of Leviathan: The Tempest to subvert the themes of Beast: The Primordial. To a Beast, the other inhabitants of the World of Darkness are one big extended family, and the use of the Family Dinner ability emphasizes that connection, and makes it easier to establish Kinship.

To an unprepared Beast, trying to draw Satiety off of a Feeding Frenzy may subvert this perspective: Beast do indeed gain the bonus to establish Kinship with a Leviathan, but only after getting a first hand introduction to the amount of physical and psychic trauma they inflict on themselves and others, to the point of possibly causing them to become sick with Satiety. As such, a ST should consult with Beast PCs before implementing this rule.
      Last edited by Jimborg; 03-26-2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Looks good. A couple of things I'd point out:

For some Leviathans the idea that beasts are descended from Tiamat is not only wrong but out right blasphemous and a good way for a Beast to screw up a "first contact". The School of the Moon would be particularly likely to react negatively but it's not unique to them.

One of the core thematic contrasts between Leviathan and Beast is the idea of family. Beast, at least to some extent, treats family as people who you like and who you support; a view that's hard coded in mechanics that let Beasts give other supernatural a power boost or have higher first impressions.

For Leviathan family resembles classical deities like the twelve Olympians. A cesspool of bitter feuds, self-destructive envy, petty bickering, one-upmanship, and other assorted behaviours that makes you wonder if this is the realm of the gods or a badly behaved high school.

Due to the way apexes work; a Leviathan's wake is practically an automatic apex button. There's probably some story potential in that.

I've heard it said that the Dark Mother existed for as long as living creatures were able to feel fear or hunger. If that theory is true, and if the theory that Tiamat was literally the first living being in existence is true, then that would make the Dark Mother Tiamat's hunger & fear. Obviously this isn't intentional. I didn't set out to write about another game's mythos, it's just the logical conclusion of combining two theories written in isolation.

Transformed Leviathans can physically touch astral entities. That includes the Horror. If a Beast uses Monster from the Deep to grapple a Leviathan, then the Leviathan can see and strike at the kraken's tentacles. There's no mechanical advantage for this, but there's some neat role play potential.

Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

• I have an idea for an Evolution, but I couldn't find any rules for writing one. Would it be possible to be furnished with one, or do I just write a set of Adaptations?

For the idea of the Evolution itself, it was intended to be very closely connected to the School of Sand, whereby the Leviathan can transform into a sort of machine-form, inhabiting and becoming technology, at the price of slowly degrading all the technology that they inhabit. I have a very strong image of a cult of technicians, maintaining the body of their machine-god, as well as the heart of the Leviathan's form being a 'core' of eldritch code which functions as if it's Apotheosis form for the purpose of Breaking Points and becoming Beloved.

EDIT: I'm not sure what would happen with the Wake, though.
          Last edited by ajf115; 05-26-2017, 07:33 AM.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
            I have an idea for an Evolution, but I couldn't find any rules for writing one. Would it be possible to be furnished with one, or do I just write a set of Adaptations?

For the idea of the Evolution itself, it was intended to be very closely connected to the School of Sand, whereby the Leviathan can transform into a sort of machine-form, inhabiting and becoming technology, at the price of slowly degrading all the technology that they inhabit. I have a very strong image of a cult of technicians, maintaining the body of their machine-god, as well as the heart of the Leviathan's form being a 'core' of eldritch code which functions as if it's Apotheosis form for the purpose of Breaking Points and becoming Beloved.

EDIT: I'm not sure what would happen with the Wake, though.
            Sounds similar to some I've made (though I'm not sure how compliant they are).

As for the Wake, I'm reminded of Reaper Indoctrination in Mass Effect. Even dead gods can dream.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Sounds similar to some I've made (though I'm not sure how compliant they are).

As for the Wake, I'm reminded of Reaper Indoctrination in Mass Effect. Even dead gods can dream.
              I will neither confirm nor deny that the Reapers were an inspiration for the Evolution.

Comment

• The way I'd write the evolutions mechanics would just be:

You're an Ephemerial Being, and you loose Ichor if you're more than a few feet away from a working computer which you have legitimate or hacked control over. Computers in a few feet from yourself loose one point of equipment bonus every <time increment> and are utterly destroyed when they reach -6. Supernatural computers, if they have an equipment bonus greater than Sheol and a durability greater than Sheol will not degrade (I.E. A powerful Genius could build you a reaper style body)

Supernatural powers that can control technology (E.G. a Genius with Epikrato) can either be used to mind control you (Ocean Minds applies) or treated as a weapon, Storyteller judgement will need to be applied to work out it's damage rating. Psychic powers also work on you as though you were a Leviathan projecting your mind with Eye of the Watchful Deity".

After that just design any Adapatations that give you computer related powers. You'd definately need one that lets you "teleport" to annother computer if you have an internet connection

The Wake would work as normal, projecting from the computer you're inhabiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

I will neither confirm nor deny that the Reapers were an inspiration for the Evolution.

Not even when the first Reaver, Harbringer, was originally a Leviathan aka ancient goldlike squids with mind controlling powers and a knack for entralling civilizations?

Comment

• Originally posted by Raistlin View Post

Not even when the first Reaver, Harbringer, was originally a Leviathan aka ancient goldlike squids with mind controlling powers and a knack for entralling civilizations?
                    Make of it what you will.

Comment

• Greetings friends! I bring new musings on our sea monster overlords!

Mummy

Origins in an unfathomably ancient past. Loyaly served by cultists. Unnatural auras that bring madness to mortals. But more than that, both Leviathans and the Arisen are driven by self discovery: the leviathans seek the true nature of their monstrous legacy, while the arisen seek to re-discover the person they were before they were bound to the judges of Duat. They could almost be said to be opposite sides of the same coin: life on one face, death on the other.

Given their respective ages and the connections each hold to ancient Babylon, it is not inconceivable to speculate that Irem was one of the first major societies to be established after the overthrow of the progenitors.

Don’t touch my stuff!

Unfortunately, these similarities predispose the two to conflict, as the vestiges (or as the leviathan would call it, heirlooms) that offer the best chance of proving of such a connection are likely stashed inside a mummy’s tomb. Knowingly stealing such a vestige is arguably one of the dumbest things you can do in the World of Darkness, but there are no shortage of those desperate for answers among Earth’s Most Wicked.

Similarly, the arisen have their own set of avaricious urges with which they must contend. Absent any other priorities, a Levithan would attempt to acquire any such artifact and add it to their panoply.

Sidebar: “Why won’t you die?!”

A clever Leviathan player who has read the core books of both game lines might look at the Kin of the Conqueror Worm adaptation and think “Ah ha! I can use this power to prevent the Arisen from returning to the Underworld, and therefore prevent their resurrection.” You’d be right… mostly.

By preventing them from dying, the leviathan has also given the arisen a chance to physically re-assemble themselves (pg. 145 of Mummy: The Curse). In order to properly take advantage of the adaptation, the leviathan needs to ensure there is nothing for the arisen’s spirit to possess, requiring that the mummy’s form to be obliterated, no mean feat, even for a leviathan.

And even then, this is a temporary measure, as the Underworld will notice the damage done to the Avernian gateway and investigate. And when the gateway is repaired, the mummy’s cult can simply provide it another vessel to inhabit. Meaning that that anyone who wants to put a mummy out of commission permanently needs to utterly destroy both its body (including any auxiliary vessels it may still have) and its cult.

Comment

• I could see an Arisen and a Leviathan with Dead But Dreaming (and related Adaptations) having a hate-feud, each killing off the other down the years, only for their opponent to return and plague them again. Might even evolve into Antagonist in Mourning.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• hey, just wanted to note that the new Thousand Years of Night has detailed an official Judge (Deborah), and as the Judges take the place of the thematic antagonists in the new edition you may find it interesting

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
                          I now blog in here

Comment

• What sort of mechanics do they use to represent Deborah?

By preventing them from dying, the leviathan has also given the arisen a chance to physically re-assemble themselves (pg. 145 of Mummy: The Curse). In order to properly take advantage of the adaptation, the leviathan needs to ensure there is nothing for the arisen’s spirit to possess, requiring that the mummy’s form to be obliterated, no mean feat, even for a leviathan.

And even then, this is a temporary measure, as the Underworld will notice the damage done to the Avernian gateway and investigate. And when the gateway is repaired, the mummy’s cult can simply provide it another vessel to inhabit. Meaning that that anyone who wants to put a mummy out of commission permanently needs to utterly destroy both its body (including any auxiliary vessels it may still have) and its cult.
                            If the Arisan is out of magic, or squashed into a fine paste (given the size of Leviathans this is a real possibility) than sealing the underworld won't give them any additional advantages. They might get the usual effects of sealing the flesh, but it's not exactly hard to physically mangle a human body beyond repair.

I'd say the real effect of Kin of the Conqueror Worm is that it makes it hard to summon the Mummy. The cult would have to move enough paraphernalia, and probably the Mummy's body, outside of the affected area. Of course, if a Mummy's cult lets a Leviathan enter it's apotheosis close enough to the temple to hit it with an earthquake they deserve what they get.

The real problem is that mecanically mummies just aren't powerful enough to play with Leviathans, which is a shame because thematically the two make great antagonists for each other.
                            Last edited by The Kings Raven; 06-27-2017, 02:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
                              The real problem is that mecanically mummies just aren't powerful enough to play with Leviathans, which is a shame because thematically the two make great antagonists for each other.
                              *Blinks*

Well that's a terrifying thought. Mummies not being strong enough to throw down in a weight category.

Comment

• *blinks together with ajf115*

That is terrifying. Then again, Mummy mechanics are largely 1E right now, and thus of lower power level in general. (Like how Vampire and Werewolf were)

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Working...
                                X