Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm super-excited for the new series of Darkness Rangers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm super-excited for the new series of Darkness Rangers!

Read it a bit; this totally belongs here.

Oh man, you guys, I can't believe there's going to be a third series! It's been, what, 20 years since the first series came out?

OK, for those guys that don't know, White Wolf was this small animation studio that made this really badass cartoon called Darkness Rangers back in the 90s; it was on a bit early, which might explain why some of you haven't seen it. I think there might be some episodes on Youtube, I don't know (if not, I might post some, once I figure out how to get them from VHS onto my hard drive.) It was the best you guys; it was like an American Power Rangers, but with all kinds of monsters as the heroes. It was so cheesy, but it was so damn great -

Fine, I'll back up a bit; I've looked around a bit and there's no synopsis for the show! Not even on Wikipedia! So I think I'll give a little synopsis of the different series.

Series one was just called Darkness Rangers; it followed the adventures of 5 teenaged monsters as they fought off the evil forces of Pentax and the Technocracy, led by the sinister Mr. Wyrm. In retrospect, it was a little too Captain Planet, but it was so much fun! OK, I might as well tell you about the main characters (no spoilers though):

• Chris McWolfman was an ordinary (OK, not so ordinary) high school student and budding student activist who happens to be a Werewolf. Yeah, I know. But anyway, when he's on duty he's called Ranger Moon, and is the leader of the rangers. He's the hot-blooded one, but he could really pull the group together in a crunch.
    • Steve von Mortimer was Chris' rival in pretty much everything, even the rangers; of course, his rivalry was hampered by the fact that he was a Vampire, and couldn't go out during the day. He brought some "family" politics into some episodes. He suited up as Ranger Night, and was the lone-wolf (heh) second in command. He and Chris actually had great chemistry; Steve's voice actor brought just enough "suave" to balance out Chris' brogue.
    • Dave Pendragon was the brains of the group; he was the nerdy guy who helped everyone else with their homework so they could actually pass classes. It certainly helped that he was actually a Mage, and so he could use his magic powers to help both on and off duty! He went by Ranger Stars.
    • Summer Jones was that one hippy chick that was basically there as moral support for the group; she was actually a fairy princess from another world, who came to Earth after Mr. Wyrm conquered it. My kid sister always liked her, so I guess that's what they were going for. She went by Ranger Dream, and was always getting kidnapped and stuff. I didn't really like her as much as the rest of the cast (she had this annoyingly spacy voice actor).
    • Morticia Smith (someone was a fan of the Addams Family) was this creepy ghost girl that haunted the group; a big part of the first season was based around figuring out how she died and all that stuff. She went by Ranger Eclipse when when everyone was suited up (more to keep up appearances than anything; the first episode she shows up has a hilarious scene where she picked her "hero" name). Of course, she had a super-powerful evil side, all poltergeist-y and stuff; she went by Ranger Void, and was the cause of some of the tensest episodes.

So they travelled around the world, fighting the forces of Mr. Wyrm; looking back, the season they spent in Asia was cringe-worthy, and they never really did anything with Amon, the Mummy they picked up briefly when they swung through Egypt. The first series ended with a 5-parter where basically the Apocalypse happened; the scene where Bangladesh got nuked was a bit excessive, to tell you the truth.

After that, they rebooted the series in a bit more of a down-to-earth way as Darkness Rangers Neo; it was more Buffy-with-Mech-Suits than Power Rangers at that point. It was a little less goofy, and a bit more thoughtful. They cut down on the gonzo, and made everything a bit more local. They adjusted everyone's backstories (Chris and Steve lost a buncha extended family members, and they toned down Dave's magic a bit), but I think Summer's and Morticia's got the biggest overhaul; Summer had to flee her home in the Faerie World because of her wicked stepmother, and was much more of a survivor who had an optimistic outlook on life; I felt she had just become a better character all around (doesn't hurt that she got a much better voice actress).

On the other hand, Morticia became this punk zombie chick who was probably the happiest member of the team; Ranger Umbra became much more friendly (though still pretty wicked) and rode around in her head, bringing her back to life if she "died" (something they used a lot). I'm happy to say that Amon (now a foreign exchange student) got a much better backstory,and they used him a lot better (but that would be spoilers!).

They got rid of Mr. Wyrm and replaced Pentax and the Technocracy with a crapton of different Monsters-of-the-Week, including some monster hunters! And then there was Ranger Storm, who pulled their asses out of the fire every once in a while; he always left with some speech about having to seek his own path, or something cliche like that. Still, pretty good series; I'd suggest it if you can find the episodes.

But I mean, the third season... wow. I kinda like the leaked art-notes for Chris and Steve, there are some cool rumors, and there was something about a new Ranger whose name would be something like Isaac. His monster form sketches look badass, and that rough animation of his transformation was awesome. My only sticking point is the whole "God-Machine" thing; I know the original was inspired by Power Rangers, but do we really need the ability to go MegaZord?

I hope I got some of you guys interested! Darkness Rangers, Power Up!

I have no fucking clue where that came from. It just spilled out.
    Last edited by amechra; 03-20-2015, 05:13 PM.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

....... I Would Totally Watch all 3 if they were Real.....

Light and Dark are two Sides of a Coin... Humanity is What Happens when it Lands on it's Edge.

Comment

Oh 90's. I miss you. No no, don't come over, the restraining order's still in place.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

You know, the worst part is that I'm trying to find a way to use this.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Um... Is this for real? Was this a thing? Because if it was, somebody needs to point me in the dircetion of somewhere I can see this. It sounds wonderfully cheesy. I must have it!

Or are you just pulling my leg?

Comment

It's fake.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
              It's fake.
              More specifically, it's the same kind of fake as The Cabal and its alluded-to contemporaries from the Mage Chronicler's Guide: "Here's a presentation of some of the material as though White Wolf were a company in a different medium altogether but still hit a lot of the same notes in what material they produced."

Just, y'know, with a tokusatsu send-up instead of comic books.

Resident Lore-Hound
              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Well poop. Kinda got my hopes up for a moment. Oh well, I least I'm inspired for my next crossover chronicle.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                  You know, the worst part is that I'm trying to find a way to use this.
                  Crossover chronicle? Tokyo looks like it's being set up for those...

Comment

I have plans for the beginnings of a crossover chronicle already(in Paris, ironically), and I would have to use California if I was going to play this straight-I love what David Hill Jr.'s been doing with Tokyo as a grounded idea too much to do this there.

That and Power Rangers is California based, I think.
                    Last edited by ArcaneArts; 03-21-2015, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Angel Springs is in California, iirc.

The best way I can think to actually run this is do something like the Cabal, where each of the PCs are pregens. I'd probably go with the mini-templates that Hunter uses for the different types of Supernatural, if only because then I wouldn't have to deal with reconciling some of the wildly different thematic stuff just play World of Darkness Power Rangers.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

I'm a fan of how they redid Ranger Perdition from the original series as Ranger Clockwork, but I must admit that I miss the "I'm from Hell-with-a-capital-H" aspect of Perdition. I wouldn't mind seeing a new Ranger who draws on the power of the reimagined Inferno,

Comment

I do like the new mentor character they added, Mr. Siddhi, and the Bloodbath Gang made for a cool group of villains.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Me, I'm looking forward to that "Wild Card" character they mentioned is coming up next season: the Phobos Defender, and her link to Lilitu Xangmu (the Boss of the season) and Ranger Paragon (the lieutenant-you know, that bully who stole a morpher and now thinks he's a hero by default-and is entitled to all the rewards that go with it).

Comment

Originally posted by Xenu's Paradox View Post
                              I'm a fan of how they redid Ranger Perdition from the original series as Ranger Clockwork, but I must admit that I miss the "I'm from Hell-with-a-capital-H" aspect of Perdition. I wouldn't mind seeing a new Ranger who draws on the power of the reimagined Inferno,
                              It's still Ranger Perdition. The fanbase's nickname was never valid, regardless of the retcons.

Comment

Working...
                              X