Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm super-excited for the new series of Darkness Rangers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xenu's Paradox View Post
    I'm a fan of how they redid Ranger Perdition from the original series as Ranger Clockwork, but I must admit that I miss the "I'm from Hell-with-a-capital-H" aspect of Perdition. I wouldn't mind seeing a new Ranger who draws on the power of the reimagined Inferno,
    Yeah, he wasn't so much on heel-face revolving door as heel-face Vomit Comet. Von Mortimer's response was a bored "give it five minutes" every time he switched sides.

His best subplot was the one involving his son. The change from a morally ambiguous anti-hero to a father desperate to protect his family really expanded his character. It could easily have come off as campy or cheesy, except that they made him totally outgunned and gave him absolutely zero plot armor. Props to the show runners for the conclusion of that arc.

Comment

I think we're all looking forward to seeing Morticia get a bit more development, though; that nasty earthquake hit the state right around the time her spotlight arc was being put together and the studio kind of had to scramble to get the episodes out before the end-of-season hiatus…

It was pretty cool how bits of her backstory get mentioned in Ranger Storm's Season 3 notes, too; he doesn't show up often, so it's always a treat to see him tied into the story a little more (though I really wish the incessant speculating over his ties to Perdition would simmer down a bit).

Resident Lore-Hound
      Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

(I know it's not real and we're sort of constructing the outline with these 'fan commentaries' but this is pretty darn cool).

Personally I find that last minute subplot with 'Adam' and the so-called 'tragic divinity' to be a cop out. Seriously? "The world hates my very being and rejects me?"

They totally could have given the emo angsty parts to Morticia, especially the whole "I'm really dead" part. Though admittedly that was a somewhat novel plot twist. That said really enjoyed his fire motif and the fight scene with Steve was awesome.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
          They totally could have given the emo angsty parts to Morticia, especially the whole "I'm really dead" part.
          Let's be real, that twist was always a better fit for the loner character than the cheery kid with two characters' worth of relationships and backstory; the way Umbra was reimagined from Void plays better as a recurring mystery than as an isolating influence.

Speaking of which, was Summer's stepmother ever not an ungodly-terrifying manipulator? I still have nightmares about some of the episodes she makes personal appearances in.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

I liked emo Morticia, but almost-genki goth girl Morticia is pretty neat Forgive me for saying this, but I'd tap that.

I feel bad about Adam/Ranger Storm, given how many people have whined about him picking up some of old Morticia's baggage and not meeting their wild expectations-I'm still not sure how they got to some of the conclusions they did. Fortunately the new writers have promised some very interesting returns, and the lead writer is one of my favorites!

Amon's the best part of the new series though. He was just kind of there in the first incarnation, but now he's the sort of person where he arrives on scenes and the tension just kicks up. Not wholly a good guy with the interests of the rangers at heart, but despite that the things he deals with are so brutal you can sort of understand it.

Ranger Paragon though....Didn't they have something like him in one of the parallel universe arcs? THink they're gonna continue on with the ideas in that episode, or go with something new?

I'd be excited for either if the guy didn't seem like such a pleb from the character notes.

Final note: I heard rumors Chris might be replaced with a female actor or something. Which is cool, with there being so many dudes on the show regularly, but I wonder how they're going to explain that.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

On a related note to Chris' (Christina's) gender bending, I like how they FINALLY removed that awful season one "very special episode" about teen pregnancy from the canon and allowed the writers to put werewolves to be in relationships with other wolves, especially since a lot of fans felt that Chris could be a bit of a jerk to his girlfriend sometime (though I do like the mildly powered up version of her that now acts as Christina's trusted sidekick and now gets to go on adventures with her and the rest of the rangers (much better then her constantly being being damsel). Also the whole romantic Romeo and Juliet foe-yay subplot between Christina and the Ivory Prince has shed a LOT of light on his character and nicely built off the more sympathetic version of him and family and allies that showed up in season two

Also, I heard they're adding a new ranger, have you guys heard anything about that? .

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

icwutudiddar.

I like it.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

I remember the hype from that show. Never saw a whole single episode, though- the most I ever caught was the end of the obligatory anti-smoking episode where that villain ended up as an ashtray.

Comment

Other than the new guy apparently being a cyborg, a robot, or some sort of uber mutant, I don't know much about him/her other than he's supposed to be related in someway to the next season's antagonists. Apparently, he's going to be resentful and attack his former masters, in a weirdly humanising way for monsters. Maybe a "choice" aesop? I wonder if when he gets reduced from "team fight" level foe, how much about him will be different.

Also, anyone catch that next season is apparently going to have half the episodes time travel related? We see the trailers online and we see everything from werewolves dressed up to Vikings. Dave for some reason was dressed up as a caveman, so I imagine the women in the group like that bit of fanservice. Such a shame there are no dinosaurs; I like dinosaurs.

On the note of Chris's... sexual identity, doesn't Steve have the same thing in the episode before?

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
                    DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
                    Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                      Let's be real, that twist was always a better fit for the loner character than the cheery kid with two characters' worth of relationships and backstory; the way Umbra was reimagined from Void plays better as a recurring mystery than as an isolating influence.

Speaking of which, was Summer's stepmother ever not an ungodly-terrifying manipulator? I still have nightmares about some of the episodes she makes personal appearances in.
                      The Stepmother was horrifying, but Autumn was brilliant, especially when she became Legacy. I mean, there are only a few people out there who could get away with screwing over the Stepmother like that, but Autumn just kept putting her neck out there to protect her siblings over and over again and she kept coming out on top. You so rarely get to see someone that sneaky working for the good guys. Shame about what happened to her in the end.

Comment

I'm surprised no one's brought up yet the original series' trainwreck that was Kin of Demeter storyline. Aikido-inspired fighting style awesomeness aside, they completely butchered the backstory that the Kin were the resurrected chosen of the One-Horned Mother. And it turned out to be a stereotypically-hippie anti-drug episode, with the One-Horned Mother, surprise surprise, being unable to hold off the forces of the the Verm-In because all of her followers were high. The only good thing that came from that storyline were the aikido-expy lessons.

In regards to the new series: they really, really need to work on timing the subtitles whenever the werewolf characters are speaking Fathertongue. The accents are also terrible. Fathertongue is supposed to be an ancient ancestor of the Egyptian language, and it sounds like they're an unholy mix between stereotypical German and Russian. I get they're trying to play up the "feral monster" vibe, but come on, quit sounding like the Heavy trying to learn German while drunk. :-/

Edit: Oh, there will be dinosaurs. One of the writers revealed that there's a character called the Makilu who'll be appearing next season. Apparently his/her shtick is that they turned into a giant, feathered serpent that's been asleep since the Cretaceous, and the storyline will involve "lots more of the scaly beasts". I think they implied one character is a were-T-Rex who hasn't changed yet...not sure how that's possible.
                        Last edited by Sikla Alkis; 11-03-2015, 02:28 AM.

Comment

It's also really weird that Fathertongue and the Iremite language Amon speaks are both supposed to be precursors to Egyptian and "the first human language."
                          I mean, at least Amon's language sounds Egyptian.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikla Alkis View Post
                            Fathertongue is supposed to be an ancient ancestor of the Egyptian language, and it sounds like they're an unholy mix between stereotypical German and Russian.
                            I think you're getting some wires crossed, because Fathertongue was explicitly some flavor of pseudo-Arabic for the entirety of Neo's run. They even recapped it in the Tower of Babel arc where they introduced Perdition. I know it's been a couple months and a lot of new information's been rolling in with the progression of Season 3, but let's not garble things too much for people who're learning about the show midway through.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Originally posted by MrBreaksIt View Post
                              It's also really weird that Fathertongue and the Iremite language Amon speaks are both supposed to be precursors to Egyptian and "the first human language."
                              I mean, at least Amon's language sounds Egyptian.
                              With no indication of whether or not both are connected. And then there's the Divine Speech used by the Coven of X, which is supposed to be the same thing as Fathertongue, but completely indecipherable. How does that even work? And if it's indecipherable Fathertongue, why can't the Ivory Queen, who is supposed to know every language that ever existed thanks to her deal with the Speaker-of-Names, pick up on it immediately? Either they're settling for a really big reveal at the end of this next season, or the writers crossed streams on what the heck Fathertongue and Iremite were supposed to be.

There's also something from the last episode I don't get: if Brother Grimm the wolf-priest is supposed to be from the Viking Age, why did he say he was from Minnesota, and why does it show him growing up in Minnesota and his mother's death thanks to the Geas of Heaven? Did the Coven rewrite reality? Has someone tampered with Grimm's memories? Is the real Grimm actually a time-traveller? Then again, it is implied that Brother Grimm (and by extension, the Varg-Ur) is the direct son of one of the patrons of the Geas, the Silver-Haired Father. I wouldn't be surprised if Mother Selena is frigging around with time and space itself, since the change of seasons is supposed to be something she's responsible for. She has plenty of reason to spite/mess up the plans of the Silver-Haired Father and the Geas after the death of the Hunter-King, one such thing being pretending to be his own father because he has an Oedipus complex. Jeez.

Which makes me wonder how the heck the Coven of X managed to cause a temporary winter for the Fimbulvetr (sp?) arc at the end of Season 1, when it's been explicitly stated that Selena would lose her crap if that happened. As I recall, she did nothing.

Edit: And Satchel completely wins the Internet for correcting me on what Fathertongue is supposed to be. Still doesn't explain what the connection between Divine Speech, Fathertongue and Iremite is supposed to be, especially with how the Coven of X is baffling the Ivory Queen.
                              Last edited by Sikla Alkis; 11-03-2015, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikla Alkis View Post
                                I wouldn't be surprised if Mother Selena is frigging around with time and space itself, since the change of seasons is supposed to be something she's responsible for.
                                […]
                                Which makes me wonder how the heck the Coven of X managed to cause a temporary winter for the Fimbulvetr (sp?) arc at the end of Season 1, when it's been explicitly stated that Selena would lose her crap if that happened. As I recall, she did nothing.
                                I think it's important to remember that Selena's never exactly been a font of reliable information, especially when you consider that she was the one running mindwipe interference on a lot of the monster hunters' tracking the Rangers down before Dave worked out a similar trick, and Summer regularly invoked the magic of the seasons in the course of normal operations without Selena making any sort of fuss.

Like, Perdition brought it to the forefront for a while, but just about everyone has had one or two episodes about how many of the gang's sources of information are sometimes erroneous or even just outright lying — Ranger Stars in particular had something like four episodes centered on grimoires of dubious provenance alone, and the Stepmother lied with technically-factual statements often enough that it was one of the things underlying Dream's issues with trust. It's one of those "constants of the night" Steve mentioned in "Long Lost Cousins."
                                Last edited by Satchel; 11-03-2015, 04:11 AM.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Working...
                                X