X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amechra
    started a topic A Discussion on XP Pricing

A Discussion on XP Pricing

Alright, the following is drawn from my observations; I just thought it might be interesting to share:

1 xp - Speciality Tier: Things that cost this much are minor, and really only exist to round your character off. A +1 to one particular use of a Skill, recovering a lost Willpower dot, a minor trick.
    2 xp - Skill Tier: Things that cost this much are neat tricks or expand your character's capabilities in a narrow manner. A +1 to any roll in a particular situation, an "unimpressive" Supernatural trick, a new mundane capability.
    3 xp - Integrity Tier: Things that cost this much are the solid core of your character's ability; here's where a bunch of neat things get stuck. A +2 to any roll in a particular situation, an impressive mundane feat, a dependable Supernatural power, improving your mental stability (Integrity equivalent).
    4 xp - Attribute Tier: Things that cost this much are character defining; they are widely applicable and say things about your character. Adding an Attribute to any roll in a particular situation, an awe-inspiring mundane feat, a broad and potent Supernatural power.
    5 xp - Power Stat Tier: Things that cost this much are fundamental to your character; they open up doors for you, and are tempting for anyone who meets the prerequisites (and who has the xp to spare). Adding an Attribute to several rolls, unlocking a set of thematically-linked powers, improving your Power Stat.

The Thematic Discount: Under the above rubric, certain merits or powers are cheaper than they should be. I call this the Thematic Discount; if it's thematically appropriate to the line in question, give a 1 xp discount. Examples include in-Clan Disciplines, Tribe/Auspice Gift Facets, and the Striking Looks merit.

Beware False Equivalency: An astute reader might notice the vague language I used in the above scale; this is intentional. Depending on the type of character in question, what constitutes an unimpressive Supernatural trick changes. For a good example, knowing whether or not a Ghost is in the same room as you is worth 2 xp to a Mortal; conversely, a Vampire with Theban Sorcery can learn how to conjure a whip made out of blood for the same cost.

• Elfive
    replied
    There's also wolf gifts that are 1xp and don't need to be opened, save with appropriate renown. Although I guess in most cases they are more enhancements than actual new powers.

Leave a comment:

• TerraBen
    replied
    All extra Gift Facets in Werewolf are 2xp, too. But there are requirements to buying those. You have to open the Gift which is itself 5xp (minus a 2xp Thematic Discount if it aligns with your character's Auspice or Tribe) and you have to have a dot of the appropriate Renown, which is 3xp. That said, both the opening of the Gift and the Renown purchase grant a free Facet, which is sort of like an xp refund.

So is there equivalency between a Facet that comes with no other perks and a Demon Embed/Exploit? I was thinking so, but I find myself wondering now. Overall, it's a good write-up, I think.

Leave a comment:

• Xenesis
    replied
    Cover has its own flavour of XP specifically used for improving it (Cover Beats/Experiences) so you don't suck up your normal beats/experiences raising it.

And honestly, a lot of the Demon Embeds/Exploits are probably worth more, but they usually carry the drawbacks of blowing cover or gaining notice if used carelessly. It's probably about right for what Demons themselves have to offer across the board.

Leave a comment:

• amechra
    replied
    I didn't really take them into account, but I think it might fall under false equivalency - after all, you get all of them (in a category) if you Go Loud, and I think Demons end up spending more xp on Cover anyway (I guess? Haven't played Demon yet, but Cover looks mighty attractive.)

Leave a comment:

• Aiden
    replied
    Is this taking into account that all of Demon's Embeds and Exploits are 2xp, or is that covered by 'thematic discount' or 'beware false equivalency'?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X