• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amechra
    started a topic Welcome to Silent Hill

Welcome to Silent Hill

Reverse Side [Environmental]
    It hides behind mirrors and holds the voices in your head. All that's there is rust and rot and guilt. It isn't happy with you, not at all...
    Effect: The Reverse Side perverts and corrupts the world, devouring light and holding up reminders of all of your sins. All light sources that aren't held by a character fail once they enter the Reverse Side; in addition, you do not gain a bonus to Breaking Points if the event fits with your Virtue, and the penalty for Breaking Points that fit with your Vice increases to -2. Additionally, recovering Willpower through surrender is a Breaking Point at -2, recovering Willpower through your Vice is a Breaking Point at -5, and recovering Willpower through rest is impossible.
    Causing the Tilt: Be guilty. Be a bad person. Don't worry; it'll come for you.
    Removing the Tilt: There's nothing you can do. Don't even try.

Thick Fog [Environmental]
    A fog's come in, and it's like pea soup. Visibility is cut to a few yards, at best, and it plays tricks with your hearing. Was that gunshot really that close, or was it just a trick of the fog?
    Effect: Take a -3 penalty to all visual Perception rolls while within the fog; at 10 yards, this penalty increases to -5, and vision is impossible beyond 20 yards. In addition, take a -2 penalty to all auditory Perception rolls; a Dramatic Failure on your roll has you wildly misjudge the direction and distance of any sound you hear.
    Causing this Tilt: The fog just rolls in on its own; otherwise, turn on a fog machine.
    Removing the Tilt: It will blow away on its own; unless it doesn't. Then you should worry.

Welcome to Silent Hill [Persistent]
    You're trapped in Silent Hill. Trapped, like a pig. In a cage. On antibiotics.
    Effect: You can't leave the town boundaries of Silent Hill, regardless of how hard you try. Any communication equipment you try to use only releases bursts of static or receives nonsensical text messages; any vehicle you drive (if you can find one that works) breaks down or is stopped by a blockade or chasm before you reach freedom. Even attempts to get out on foot or through Supernatural means fail automatically.
    Resolution: Somehow escape Silent Hill; let the Town finish its business with you.
    Beat: N/A

You're going to have to build the monsters yourself; they're no fun if they aren't tailored. However, I can give you the following advice:

Look at your player's five questions, their Vice, and any Persistent conditions they've got. If they've had any significant Breaking Points so far in the chronicle, fold in references to that.

After all, Silent Hill is a punishment for sinners; walking in someone else's Hell is less unnerving than walking through your own.

Actually, how about an example? I'll use Mallory, one of the example characters from the GM update (page 156-157); let's say her Vice is "Weak". She recovers Willpower when she takes the easy way out, when she backslides, when she has those little moments of weakness that we all have so very often. One morning, she walks out of the front door of her apartment building and finds herself in the foggy streets of Silent Hill.
    The Monsters: Mallory's concept is a cop whose been kicked off the force due to her drug addiction; all of her monsters are going to have ruined veins and and their movements dislodge small clouds of cocaine. They'll have needles in their arms and will move like strung out junkies until they catch her scent - then they'll chase her with jerky movements, ignoring the pain of their raw and oozing sores. Their eyes are all destroyed in creative ways - when they die, they fall to pieces. When left alone, they alternate between raiding pantries filled with rotted food and violently lashing out against each-other.

Her Otherworld: It's a dark, noir-esque wonderland of temptation and vice. Lurid advertisements advertising all her favorite treats serve as a backdrop for violent crime scenes where it's obvious that the killer just left. Following hot on their tracks drops hints that it was her dealer, the one she let free years ago; her junkie-monsters are close behind, dressed as parodies of police officers. Their just following the trail of evidence, and all of it does points to her. It would be so easy to compromise everything; she could buy herself some time if she'd only tamper with that evidence. To get out, she needs to let air her secret.
    I'll do another, quite different example; I'll use Ellie, another one of the example characters. Her Vice will be a more "normal" Cowardly

Her Monsters: They look like big, towering men with long, ugly arms. They lash out at her with drugged claws, but they don't seem too interested in killing her - they just want to snatch her to drag her away. Sometimes, she sees "normal" people in the distance, but when she gets close, they are either snatched away before she can say anything, or their faces split open to reveal the monster's leering grins. Sometimes, she can just see the monsters running full tilt away from her, and she feels hot breath on her neck.

Her Otherworld: It's like a huge cathedral to a very wrong God. The stained-glass that fills every window is nauseating; at every pew, the hymnals are filled with nasty little songs about everyone she knows, and they're supposedly written by her. Every key is hidden amongst the money overflowing from the collection boxes; the girl who she ostracized in high school is in the niche on the wall instead of the Virgin Mary. To get out, she'll have to face her; don't worry, though, the other parishioners will be glad to help her with her fears - maybe if she's blind, it would be easier?
    If both of them are together, focus on the commonalities between their Otherworlds and monsters; play it by ear, and remember that the Town has a goal "in mind" for anyone who crosses the boundaries.

• wander
    replied
    After going through the first Silent Hill, whilst I saw links to Jacob's Ladder in it's visuals and some other aspects, such as one particular ending... I didn't see Harry Mason as being particularly guilt-ridden or a bad person in any real way for Silent Hill to have want of him. It seemed in the first game at least to be more of Alessa's story, which Harry gets roped into due to adopting Cheryl, who held half of Alessa's soul. Though again, as mentioned I suppose it wasn't really Harry's story to begin with, he was just a player in the bigger picture.

There is a strong occult link through the plot and I like in the original game how it's unknown if Harry is tripping on PTV or not for a fair chunk of the game. Personally, I find I prefer the (non-canon due to Silent Hill 3) Bad Ending, where Harry died in his car and it was all a dream, harkening again to Jacob's Ladder. Just seems better, as he is dying and needs to let go of his Fetter to Cheryl to pass on, which he achieves in the end... I don't think much of him coming out of the town with baby Heather... It seems like he let go of Cheryl too easily that way.

Leave a comment:

• amechra
    replied
    Originally posted by VoidDrifter View Post
    It's really interesting to note how many people seem to have cottoned onto the "Silent Hill is about personal revelation" thing from SH2, even though it can be argued that, in the original Silent Hill quadrilogy, the big theme was actually about the Occult and how it can really screw things over for those mortals who get involved with it. Just putting it out there.
    I agree that that's the theme behind the series as a whole, but that's also the theme of NWoD, so taking that as the object lesson is... pointless at best.

The town, on the other hand, is more interesting if you go with "personal revelations"; you just need to keep in mind that they aren't your revelations in the 1st and 3rd games.

(Also, SH2 is the best Silent Hill. This is up for debate, but not much.)

Leave a comment:

• VoidDrifter
    replied
    It's really interesting to note how many people seem to have cottoned onto the "Silent Hill is about personal revelation" thing from SH2, even though it can be argued that, in the original Silent Hill quadrilogy, the big theme was actually about the Occult and how it can really screw things over for those mortals who get involved with it. Just putting it out there.

Leave a comment:

• amechra
    replied
    Kinda. I remember reading that and going "yeech" about some point-missing.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    So it's you take about updating Silent Hill fan setting to 2ED?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X