Doing oWoD settings with nWoD 2E rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing oWoD settings with nWoD 2E rules

This got no replies in the oWoD forum, so let's try this one. I want to hear your thoughts and experiences!

I have been wanting to do a game set in the Old World but using the New World 2E rules. I'm curious who has done this and how it turned out. Post your rules, your game information, your general ideas here (even if you haven't run such a game yet!). Some of the games seem easier to convert than others. Masquerade to Requiem is pretty easy. I just use Blood Potency, with it being a general measure of Generation—increased through diablerie as usual. I'm considering letting it increase like it does normally in Requiem or with Experiences (you can experiment, strengthen the Beast and your mastery of the Blood, etc.), with Generation being more of a roleplaying concern than a hard cap on potency.

Werewolf isn't too bad; generally what I do is take the Forsaken 2E forms and remove the limits on Gauru (and its increased healing), keep the general Forsaken template, and Gifts can stay largely the same. Those that are important in Apocalypse but not present can be converted fairly easily. A lot of the Fera use similar stuff, or somewhat modified forms. I even created a list of nWoD 2E-compatible Archid traits for the Mokolé.

Mage I'm really not sure about. I vastly prefer Awakening and its magic system, but I want to keep the general fluff and "feel" of Ascension for oWoD-based games. This one I'm not at all sure how to convert. Changeling seems like it might not be too hard, and relies more on description than anything, but the chimeric reality and Dreaming stuff could be difficult.

So, let's hear your thoughts on doing any and every oWoD game with nWoD 2E rules!

Freelancer • Available for work!

Relevant to my interests (see the link in my signature).

A year or so ago, I was in a Technocracy game using nWoD 2e rules. We used Dave Brookshaw's stop gap conversion for Mage 2e, plus the Mage Translation Guide. It worked very well. I think the only snag we hit was how to use Legacies, and what they would represent in the Paradigm-y world of Ascension. That being said, the new Awakening system might make it more difficult to convert, but we're a ways off from that.

For "Masquiem", I make Generation a Merit modeled off Destiny in Mage (Awakening). Sort of a mystic connection to the first vampire. Otherwise, Blood Potency all the way.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
    Masquiem: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2nd
    Storytellers Vault: Author Page

Comment

I don't have any experience with it personally, but your way of doing Vampire was definitely what I came up with back when I was interested in making the conversion.

You've got Werewolf down pat more than I ever did.

For Mage, I would keep most of Awakening's system but use Ascension Paradox so that it fits the setting more. I would also remove Paths and make the Arcana all Common for every Mage, except for the one associated with their Tradition which would be Ruling.

I'm not familiar with Changeling: the Dreaming in mechanical terms, so I can't say anything on that front.

I would use the Living Dead rules from Mummy: the Curse for Wraith, and ignore the addition of Rank in 2e, if I wanted to run Wraith with 2e nWoD rules.

Mummy is pretty much unsalvageable on this front from my perspective. They're just two entirely different games, and you would need to create all of Resurrection's mechanical assets for yourself from scratch.
      Last edited by Aiden; 05-26-2015, 02:17 AM.

Revlid wrote:
      Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

I think Blood Potency converts perfectly to generation, but I think if you let it increase by any means other than Diablerie you will lose a core part of Masquerade's feel. Having said that, I do like how Blood Potency makes age the determining factor in a Vampire's strength, I never liked how in Masquerade a 7th Gen embraced yesterday was higer up the power chart than a 12th Gen embraced 100 years ago.

Pehaps a good hybrid would be this: all vampires start at Blood Potency 1, and their Generation is the cap beyond which they cannot increase their Potency. So for example a 9th Gen has a max Blood Potency of 5, while a thirteenth Gen is capped at BP 1 (unless Diablerie). The Masquerade Generation chart has 11 levels, so it's not a perfect fit. I've chosen 13th Gen to be equal to Blood Potency 1, and 4th Gen equal to Blood Potency 10, but you could just as easily have twelfth Gen = BP 1 and 3rd Gen = BP 10, with 13th Gen and higher being BP 0.

Comment

Well, a fresh 7th gen has a bigger fuel tank, but they're probably not going to go toe-to-toe with a 100 year old any time soon. Disciplines are a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Aiden View Post
            I would use the Living Dead rules from Mummy: the Curse for Wraith, and ignore the addition of Rank in 2e, if I wanted to run Wraith with 2e nWoD rules.
            This! Thank you for this! I'm a newbie (relatively speaking) and I've been wondering how I could do Wraith in NWoD 2e. Thank you for pointing this out. I'd heard about the new Mummy covering rules for ghosts to an extent. I didn't know where to look or how well it did it. I love Wraith, but love NWoD 2e's approach to things.

Comment

The lucid dead rules in mummy are fine for 1st edition games- makes them people with traits and merits available, it also has a power stat sort of, and buying numina.

Making a lucid dead ghost in second edition would be problematic, considering how much ghosts changed though.

Comment

I dunno, it's probably doable. Make a mortal, add some manifestations and numina, there you go. They can even manifest now (I think) which should make things easier so long as one of their anchors is a locket or something.

Comment

I'm curious how you would convert the various powers over from vampire and werewolf. for example do you use Majesty or Nightmare in place of Presence? in the GMC Protean can do just about everything that Serpentis can do except for the level 5+ powers. Disciplines in general have a lot more oomph in Requiem 2nd ed than they ever did in Masquerade, and that's not even getting into Thamaturgy and Necromancy. I'm just curious as to how you went about it.

Comment

Presence is about 80% Majesty, and that's what the translation guide suggests you replace it with.

Comment

Nightmare reskins as Dementation pretty well, apart from the oracular stuff, which is fine, since that's what Auspex does now.

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
                        Nightmare reskins as Dementation pretty well, apart from the oracular stuff, which is fine, since that's what Auspex does now.
                        It also does a decent Chimerstry impression.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

It also does a decent Chimerstry impression.
                          Obfuscate can whistle a pretty good Chimestry as well.

Chimerstry: Every Discipline

Comment

Nightmare is basically Dementation fused with Chimestry which then proceeded to chew off a bit of Presence, leaving it as Majesty.

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

Obfuscate can whistle a pretty good Chimestry as well.
                              I don't know, aside from Familiar Stranger, Obfuscate kind of seems like the anti-Chimerstry to me. One makes you see things what aren't there and the other makes you not see things what are.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Working...
                              X