Giant Merit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant Merit

It seems a little too... costly, the Giant Merit. As it stands in GMC it's still a 3 dot merit, and all it does is increase Size by 1 to give you a grand total of +1 to health. It seems a little too expensive to me. Does anyone else think so?

Revlid wrote:
    Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

One Health box is pretty dandy. I might argue for the merit to cost 2 Dots instead, but it's hardly a massive issue.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Well, I tend to give some sort of other minor bonuses (I currently have a PC that is a Giant ex-boxer). Those I remind, I gave a bonus to Intimidation (he was using physical threats and so rolling Strength + Intimidation and thought the Size will matter) and on rolls to move/lift and push objects.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

By the RAW Size effects more than Health. There's all sorts of little rules here and there. Size helps you with some Athletics rolls, and resist some Tilts, as examples.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
          By the RAW Size effects more than Health. There's all sorts of little rules here and there. Size helps you with some Athletics rolls, and resist some Tilts, as examples.
          Can I get some page numbers?

Revlid wrote:
          Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

The "species factor" for Speed has also been replaced with Size, so that human Speed is Size + Strength + Dexterity. So it's +1 Speed.

Bits and pieces of Exalted setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Aiden View Post

Can I get some page numbers?
              WOD:

Jumping pages 66-67.

Falling objects page 138 (though this is lower of Size and Armor, so Armor is almost always going to be more important).

Life falling objects, Size matters at ST discretion on vehicle on person collisions if the person is sufficiently tough enough compared to the vehicle.

GMC:

The Stunned Tilt is checked against the target's Size, so more Size means you're harder to stun. Page 212.

Size is also used to measure how much you can take from a stun gun; page 240.

Comment

Originally posted by Omicron View Post
                The "species factor" for Speed has also been replaced with Size, so that human Speed is Size + Strength + Dexterity. So it's +1 Speed.
                Where does it say this?

Revlid wrote:

Comment

Originally posted by Aiden View Post

Where does it say this?
                  ...turns out it doesn'! Not in GMC, anyway. But p.5, Reap the Whirlwind says:

Speed is Size + Strength + Dexterity.

Bits and pieces of Exalted setting.

Comment

Ops, well I already said my Vampire players that it worked that way. Accidental House-Rule, those things happen.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Am I crazy or does "Size 6 and +1 health" not insinuate that you get a total of +2 health, since clearly size 6 raises your health by 1 on its own?

Comment

Originally posted by TempestSatori View Post
                        Am I crazy or does "Size 6 and +1 health" not insinuate that you get a total of +2 health, since clearly size 6 raises your health by 1 on its own?
                        The +1 health part is reminder text.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Species factor vs size is one of the more inconsistent rules in Chronicles. Half the books say one, half say the other.

Comment

I think you're thinking about Speed where humans (and their variations) use Size while all other beings use a species factor. Health is always Stamina + Size.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                              One Health box is pretty dandy. I might argue for the merit to cost 2 Dots instead, but it's hardly a massive issue.
                              HA!

anyhow, on one hand, yeah, Giant should probably be cheaper, but I'm glad it's 3 instead of 4 (how it was in NWoD) and I figure the expense is less about how valuable it is, and more about how rare it is...Giant doesn't just mean you're tall, but like...exceptionally tall. 6'6" to 7 feet tall, or more. It's not unheard of, but it's certainly not something every character ought to have.

Comment

Working...
                              X