• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claire Redfield
    started a topic Fatal Frame: Camera Obscura

Fatal Frame: Camera Obscura

Camera Obscura

Doctor Kunihiko Asou invented the Camera Obscura as a potent tool for studying restless spirits. Created during the Doctor's paranormal investigations, the camera is an artifact capable of capturing ghostly manifestations on film—sometimes literally. Paranormal investigators have used the camera to uncover mysteries hidden from the eyes of the living, as well as exorcise the unruly shades that haunt the darkest places. As a weapon against ghosts the Camera Obscura has few equals, but those who wield it have often come under ghostly curses from which even the camera cannot save them.

The Camera Obscura has many different functions that aid the photographer in battling the undead.

Viewfinder: Looking through the viewfinder allows the user to see any objects and ghosts in Twilight, including ghostly structures. Other entities sometimes appear as fleeting images, much as ghosts do on regular film. It also allows wispy glimpses of any shades possessing a subject.

Filament: The camera's filament glows in the presence of ghosts and Twilight remnants. This includes a ghost's Anchors and Manifestations. The user gains a sense of the emanation's intent—a blue glow means that the ghost is benign or the effect is revelatory, while malevolent spirits cause the filament to glow red. Anyone possessing the camera benefits from the Unseen Sense (Ghosts) Merit.

Capture Circle: Capturing a ghost within the viewing circle allows the user to damage it as though using a weapon against it. The camera has an effective range of 5/10/20, suffering penalties like firearms do. Attacking with the Camera Obscura uses a Dexterity + Expression roll, modified by the ghost's Defense as usual. The Camera Obscura counts as a Bane for all ghosts, regardless of any other Banes they might possess. Any ghost "killed" by the Camera is forever captured on its film, but apocryphal stories hint that the spirits may be released by destroying the film. Few ghost-photographers would dare risk the wrath of the undead this way.

Film: The Camera Obscura uses specially-treated film in order to capture the entities shot in its lens. It can work with any roll of film, but suffers in effectiveness when using mundane rolls. The camera has no Damage rating for normal film. Advanced film adds +1, while special film adds +2 to the damage done.

Upgrades: Some versions of the Camera Obscura come etched with mystic seals. Knowledgeable users can unlock the power of these seals through absorbing ghostly powers or even by putting some of their own spiritual growth into the artifact. In game terms, the user can spend Experiences to unlock special functions as detailed below.

Capture Area: Improving the camera's capture circle allows for greater zoom and a wider capture area. This effectively boosts the Camera's short and medium ranges by +5 yards, giving it a range of 10/15/20. This ability costs four Experiences to unlock.

Lenses: Special lenses allow for more potent effects when shooting ghosts with the Camera. Each of these costs five Experiences to unlock, except for Paralyze, which requires 8 Experiences. A single Camera Obscura may have all of these functions unlocked, but may only use one Lens upgrade at a time.
    Pressure: Each point of damage inflicted in the attack knocks the ghost back one yard. The Camera gains the "Knockdown" special ability.
    Slow: Each point of damage inflicted in the attack drains 3 points of Speed from the ghost for a number of turns equal to the user's Resolve.
    See: The ghost suffers a penalty to its Defense equal to the damage dealt for a number of turns equal to the user's Resolve.
    Paralyze: Any damage inflicted in the attack inflicts the Immobilized Tilt for (6 - ghost's Power) turns. More powerful ghosts (Power 6+) instead suffer the possibility of the Stunned Tilt as though the Camera has the Stun special ability.
    Search: Adds +2 to attack rolls with the Camera.
    Last edited by Claire Redfield; 06-30-2015, 12:28 AM.

• amechra
    replied
    It shows up starting in Fatal Frame II. If I remember correctly, it just acts as a damage booster.

Now, the Zero Lens... I'd love to see that (but auto-crits would be broken as all hell.)

To explain, it's another one that shows up later in the series that gives you an automatic Zero Shot, iirc.

Also, I agree that Fatal Frame is an excellent introduction to the general low-power nature of Mortal games. I wonder how this interacts with the Camera Obscura merit that was spoiled for Hit Locker (I like this more, anyway.)?

Finally... Broken Neck is right behind you.

Leave a comment:

• Claire Redfield
    replied
    Originally posted by amechra View Post
    No Blast Lens?
    What's that one from? I haven't yet finished FF2 or 3, so I might not be familiar with it. I want to get 4 and I'm looking forward to the Wii U one due out later this year.

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    This is so cool!
    Thanks! I like Fatal Frame and want to do a similar game as an intro for some people to nWoD 2E rules. It fits right into the World of Darkness, too.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    This is so cool!

Leave a comment:

• amechra
    replied
    No Blast Lens?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X