Template Powers as Linguistic or Rhetorical Structures [Whimsy]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Template Powers as Linguistic or Rhetorical Structures [Whimsy]

A Major Template is an adjective phrase that modifies a proper noun (I.e., you. You go from Steve to Blood-Sucker Steve, or whatever.)

Anyway... This isn't going to include a template's free-form powers, if they have them (with the obvious exception of Mage). So no Blood Sorcery, Rites, Ceremonies, or anything like that. If you need to know, they're all complex verb phrases.

Vampire:
    Disciplines: Adverbs shading off into verbs
    Coils: Adjectives
    Werewolf:
    Gifts: Adjectives
    Mage:
    Spells: Metaphors and Metonymy
    Archmastery: Pataphors
    Changelings:
    Contracts: Conditional statements
    Prometheans:
    Transmutations: Adjectives
    Hunters:
    Endowments: Loan words*
    Sin-Eaters:
    Manifestations: I am entirely unsure.
    Demon:
    Embeds: Slang
    Exploits: Idiolect
    Mummy:
    Affinities: Superlatives
    Utterances: Imperatives.
    Beasts:
    Atavisms: Superlatives
    Nightmares: Swear words.

Yes, I can explain my reasoning for all of the above.

* Hunter: The English Language of WoD Gamelines.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

I would say that Vampiric disciplines would mostly be imperative verbs, "Hey, hands! Morph into claws!"

While not entirely serious, I would have gotten a chuckle if Sin-Eater Manifestations were just drunk-talk. "And sho, sho I sh-hic-shaid to 'im, 'Hey, bitch! Ghost-hic-fire!"

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

I went with adverbs because the lower levels just change how you do something, without really giving you something crazy and new. Once you get to the higher dots, you get actual VERBS.

Some Disciplines are never verbs (Vigor and Resilience spring to mind), while some of them verb from the very beginning (Protean).

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

Comment

I like werewolf gifts as adjectives, being descriptions on how they hunt, I think individual facets definitely fit into the adverb/ verb category of disciplines seeing as they act as enhancers (most of the gift of rage) or new capabilities entirely, such as learning secrets from a corpses bones, or being able to manipulate fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Eyes View Post
          I like werewolf gifts as adjectives, being descriptions on how they hunt, I think individual facets definitely fit into the adverb/ verb category of disciplines seeing as they act as enhancers (most of the gift of rage) or new capabilities entirely, such as learning secrets from a corpses bones, or being able to manipulate fire.
          I went with adjectives because they are literally modifiers to the Werewolf, built/scarred straight into their bodies. Just like how adjectives modify a noun.

You were Wolf before. Now you are Death Strength Wolf!

Death Strength Wolf is maybe perhaps not your real name - but it is who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post

I went with adjectives because they are literally modifiers to the Werewolf, built/scarred straight into their bodies. Just like how adjectives modify a noun.

You were Wolf before. Now you are Death Strength Wolf!

Death Strength Wolf is maybe perhaps not your real name - but it is who you are.
            I'm gonna go with the Gifts being adjectives, and the Facets being specific Adverbs applied to them. The Gift of Stealth makes you a Sneaky Wolf, Predator's Shadow makes you a Fearfully Sneaky Wolf.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Working...
            X