For Power & Profit: Corperate Conspiracices in NWoD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Power & Profit: Corperate Conspiracices in NWoD

Before anything else, I want to say that they only exist if the ST says so. I know that YMMV and just because the Cheiron Group is a splat in H:tV doesn't mean it exists at every table. I am primarily looking at the published ones but that doesn't discount others. So big disclaimer here: This is just a friendly talk about how we use the ideas involved.

Now what I want to know is; How do they appear in your games?

For those unfamiliar with the various ones that appear in the source material, I've listed the ones I remember (off the top of my head) below along with their associated gamelines;
    • The Cheiron Group; (Hunter: the Vigil)
    • Last Dynasty International; (Mummy: the Curse)
    • Deva Corporation; (Demon: the Descent)
    • The Hototogisu; (smaller scale, Vampire: the Requiem 2nd, mentioned in other Tokyo write ups)

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

I love Promethean. So while I eagerly await the Firestor- I mean 2nd Ed, I reread the original Demo again. Since I was bored I tried to place some of the material into 'subcontracted' status with one of the above 'mega-corps'.
    Lacking any real world knowledge on how to express this, I basically stole from the framework from Seraph Kitty found here. It's not much but it has helped me define the different priorities of the factions in question. Listed below for details.

[Cogs] Biosearch Labs (Last Dynasty International)
    Rewards: Vitrol, Clones, Laboratories,
    Risks: Centimani, Pandorans, Mundane Authorities, Clone Troopers
    Valued by: Promethean, Alchemists

[Cogs] Black Dog Games Factory (Cherion Group)
    Rewards: Intel on 'Revenants', 'Lycanthropes', 'Warlocks', 'Spectres', 'Pixies' & 'Fiends'.
    Risks: Mundane Authorities, The Field Projects Division, Misinfomation, Media Spotlight
    Valued by: Hunters, Heroes, Other Supernaturals
    Last edited by FallenEco; 08-01-2015, 10:00 PM. Reason: missed words for sentances...

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
      [Cogs] Biosearch Labs (Last Dynasty International)
      Rewards: Vitrol, Clones, Laboratories,
      Risks: Centimani, Pandorans, Mundane Authorities, Clone Troopers
      Valued by: Promethean, Alchemists

[Cogs] Black Dog Games Factory (Cherion Group)
      Rewards: Intel on 'Revenants', 'Lycanthropes', 'Warlocks', 'Spectres', 'Pixies' & 'Fiends'.
      Risks: Mundane Authorities, The Field Projects Division, Misinfomation, Media Spotlight
      Valued by: Hunters, Heroes, Other Supernaturals
      Cherion and LDI always screamed biotech to me so shoving oWoD Pentex's Black Dog doesn't quite fit the theme.

Truth be told, I would love to have another blue book purely about the various corporate malfeasance in the world of darkness that shows that the big players as well as the little ones.

Comment

Though I don't think any specific corporations are ever named in published material, both Pantechnicon and Mammon are minor Ministries of the Seers of the Throne (MtAw) who are most likely to take the form of corporate conspiracies like this.

Comment

just wanted to mention that the Hototogisu are going to get a full Conspiracy writeup in the coming Dark Eras book

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Famous Gil from Seers of the Throne is another. In that case, they're a legitimately corrupt investment bank.

There's an issue I find that for most major supernatural groups, it's just easier to walk in and subvert an existing corporation (or even easier, a single corporate facility) rather than either starting your own or trying to legitimately buy one.

Comment

From Armory: Reloaded [pg.126-129]
              Ganaducci Arms [Arms and Armaments; "Project Haze" tests weapons against supernatural targets]

From Dogs of War [pg.44-45]
              Blackfire [PMC, aware of the supernatural]

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
              The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
              Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
              Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

Usualy the Corporative Conspiracies aren't supernatural in nature, but just aware of the supernatural.

I think it would be interesting to have a city dominated by Conspiracy Corps, where all splats organize by allegiance to one or another or by rebelling against all, instead of their usual alliances. No one being dominated by a particular splat, but simply by corporate interests.

Sorry if I seem too straightforward, or if I don't get you. Autism isn't a forgiving condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock View Post

Cherion and LDI always screamed biotech to me so shoving oWoD Pentex's Black Dog doesn't quite fit the theme.
                  My reasoning was there was a misfile and the information for the Employee's Handbook was accidently sent to one of the minor subsidiaries; a game company who in turn used it to help make their products. Additionally I am borrowing the 'games' from OWoD because Black Dog makes an appearence in the Promethean Demo; it was already ported so I took some of the ideas along.
                  Also, I get the feeling Cheiron wasn't always bio-tech...Acheron Shipping & Trading Guild (one incarnation of 'early' Cheiron) has always been bigger than Hygieia Apothecary & Sons which was called out as one of their medical arms during the 'Acheron Era'.
                  In other words, Cheiron is big and rather diverse but necessarily the Industry Leader. LDI is said leader at my tables but not by a whole lot; Cheiron is close.

But that is just how my head went; given that Black Dog is in the NWoD, who would you put it under?

Comment

Maybe under itself, a company with supernatural insight but using the benefits to remain independent. It could lend its shadowy services to various groups without commiting to no-one. And the cWoD books could be a way to both profit upon knowledge and veil the truth (of the nWoD).

Sorry if I seem too straightforward, or if I don't get you. Autism isn't a forgiving condition.

Comment

This thread compiled the supernatural corporations, so one might want to take a look- http://forums.whitewolfarchive.com/default2d7a.html

Comment

A Goblin Market with enough understanding of the human world and its people could extrude into economies worldwide. The Hedge is good for hyper fast but risky travel, and it is filled with goblin Fruit, hobgoblins and lost treasures. When broken down, analyzed and turned into products like medicine, cosmetics and various foodstuffs, exploring the natural (or unnatural) resources of the Hedge can reap great profit. And if memory serves, the 1st edition supplement for Goblin Markets has a side bar which suggests that goblin merchants do have the capacity to incorporate the Internet and mass media into their businesses. But the generalized Masquerade, bullying Gentry and petty Market squabbles really get in the way. But what if one or more of these goblin merchants overcame or bypassed these obstacles?

The 1st edition Changeling supplement "Night Horrors - Grim Fears" has an outcast True Fae called Baron Fairweather who is the owner of a big supermarket franchise on Earth that may or may not be corrupt. Lords Of Summer has a possible corporate conspiracy in the Entitlement called The Guild Of Goldspinners.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Michael,

You do make a good point, and there are many instances where they do just that (think that might be the Invictus's modus operandi.) The reasons I've come to think of why supernaturals don't all own or control existing companies is because an average supernatural creature has just too much other stuff to deal with on a daily or nightly basis, and because mortals in NWoD have a lot more resources to fight supernatural threats to their business with because of just how permeated the world is with the eldritch and strange.

Side note: GottaGoFeats love the idea of a corporate superpower what utilizes the Hedge as a resource. I'm thinking it's built to mimic a Changeling's Freehold from 2nd edition to hinder the Gentry from eventually taking notice and ruining their business, research devision dedicated to discovering Hedge Keys and testing Goblin Fruit, PR department to fostering business deals with the local Freeholds. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Dusksage View Post
                            Michael,

You do make a good point, and there are many instances where they do just that (think that might be the Invictus's modus operandi.) The reasons I've come to think of why supernaturals don't all own or control existing companies is because an average supernatural creature has just too much other stuff to deal with on a daily or nightly basis, and because mortals in NWoD have a lot more resources to fight supernatural threats to their business with because of just how permeated the world is with the eldritch and strange.

Side note: GottaGoFeats love the idea of a corporate superpower what utilizes the Hedge as a resource. I'm thinking it's built to mimic a Changeling's Freehold from 2nd edition to hinder the Gentry from eventually taking notice and ruining their business, research devision dedicated to discovering Hedge Keys and testing Goblin Fruit, PR department to fostering business deals with the local Freeholds. What do you think?
                            Exactly, all good points. When you have the True Fae as neighbors, you need a pretty damn good Bulwark. And hand forged iron. Lots of it.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Working...
                            X