Presence vs Manipulation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presence vs Manipulation

Could someone Help me understand the difference and list some common examples of each one. I almost always forget about presence and rely on manipulation making presence rarely ever used.

Presence says "You're gonna do this because I say so."

Manipulation says "You want to do this, and here's why."

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Presence is to Manipulation as Strength is to Dexterity. Presence is the Social Power attribute. It's used in social situations where direct application of force is used as opposed to precision and finesse. The way I run it, most social actions can be done using either attribute, depending on the approach. If you're being subtle, use Manipulation, if you're being direct, use Presence. So, for example, a veiled threat would be Manupulation + Intimidation while a direct threat would be Presence + Intimidation. Subtle flirting would be Manipulation + Socialize while forward come-ons would be Presence + Socialize. Clever negotiations would be Manipulation + Persuasion while high-pressure sales tactics would be Presence + Persuasion.
      Last edited by Charlaquin; 08-18-2015, 05:28 PM.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

The way I think about it is generally:

Presence is about how you say something. Manipulation is about what you say.

If we break it down to classic rhetoric, Presence is your talent at ethos (being appealing to the audience), and Manipulation is your logos (saying things so that the audience agrees that your logic is sound); with pathos (the emotional appeal to the audience) being governed by the Skill being used.

Given in the US it is a political season; an example:

When a politician gives a stump speech, its Presence. The speech is not really about substance or detail. It's about getting their supports energized, getting local attention before polls or elections, and basic messaging.

When a politician gives a policy speech, its Manipulation. They have to convince the audience (aka the pundits and policy wonks) that they know what they're talking about, and have good policies that make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          The way I run it, most social actions can be done using either attribute, depending on the approach. If you're being subtle, use Manipulation, if you're being direct, use Presence.
          This is what I do in a nutshell. Telling a lie? Manipulate. Giving a speech or a song? Presence

Comment

Here's another recent thread on the subject. In short, Presence is about force of personality making an impact, while Manipulation makes an impact through clever choice of words and maneuvers.

Comment

Working...
            X