Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[NSFW] NWOD As A Dating Simulator: What Would It Be Like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [NSFW] NWOD As A Dating Simulator: What Would It Be Like?

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, click here.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: I am not in any way asking you to say what your romantic and sexual preferences are. You may do that at your discretion, but no one is demanding it.

I'm more interested in knowing what other users think about the nuances of romance in NWOD. Like, how would dating a Promethean man or woman even work? How would the protagonist handle Disquiet? And if there is an option for them to live together, what about Wastelands? And Pandorans?

My guess is that it would be a considerably self-aware game. They might crack a dry joke here and there about all the darkness in the world and the spooky things going on. Maybe they even break the fourth wall. But the general atmosphere is mostly serious, with a strong dose of eeriness and Gothic-like aesthetics. A good soundtrack is a must have, methinks. Bad endings would probably outnumber the good ones by a fair margin. As for what kind of art style it would have, I dunno. If you know any artists that are good with Gothic scenery and/or expressionism, be they classic or online, I'd love to hear it.

Not to mention that the numerous factions for mortals and supernaturals could make for some interesting combinations. How would you reconcile the religious/spiritual conflicts between, say, a Nosferatu of the Lancea et Sanctum and a Messenger Integrator? What about the differences in leadership methods between a Fairest of the Spring Court and a Ventrue of the Invictus?

For the purposes of not making the game absurdly huge, I think the protagonist can only be a mortal. Perhaps you could unlock a Beast protagonist somehow.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 08-26-2015, 10:45 AM.

Let Him Speak.

Yanderes. Yanderes everywhere.

I'm not awake enough to contribute more than that.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Kinda like Rosario to Vampire, but darker.

Comment

*rubs hands*

A dating sim is made or broken by its characters. So let's think about that!

First, the yandere, the character designated to be all too literally crazy about you, to the point of violence; all of her (most yanderes are female) endings are varying degrees of Bad, with probably the best ending involving her voluntarily submitting to therapy, with the implication you might never see each other again. There's no romanticism of self-destructive crazy here, particularly given how there should be a theme that everyone is a person. The overly possessive nature of a yandere makes her a natural antagonist (though redeemable if it turns out she's the kind driven by inadequacy-the idea she's worthless herself without another to help). They probably shouldn't be that common though; people can be as miserable as the nWoD asks for and not develop stalker-ish tendencies,

Also, setting. Ditch the typical high school, make it more of a plaza where the supernatural factions find something resembling neutral ground. The main character is some kind of scholar who someone in high places has noticed is a rather stand-up chap capable of ignoring the fact everyone there is an esohuman (I've picked that term up for major supernatural template) or weird in other ways. Perhaps as a way to bring peace between the various factions, or to remind the potential dates that there's a human world around them, or something else. Probably something else, since it might be a good plan for that someone to be the God-Machine (and the angel sent to introduce you? Potential date right then and there, with the best ending being that s/he-your choice as to how the angel eventually identifies, gender wise-Falls for you and confesses what the G-M wanted with the experiment).

Comment

Everyone is in a nightclub. The main character is ahunter who has to decide to date or kill every other supernatural. Sometimes both.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
            Probably something else, since it might be a good plan for that someone to be the God-Machine (and the angel sent to introduce you? Potential date right then and there, with the best ending being that s/he-your choice as to how the angel eventually identifies, gender wise-Falls for you and confesses what the G-M wanted with the experiment).
            Apropos of nothing, I'm reminded of a notion I had a year or two ago of the neutral-childhood-friend character and the relationship-value-tracker character engaging in off-camera debates on the viability of whatever route the protagonist is pursuing on account of their being demons and/or high-retention angels hacking/troubleshooting an occult matrix through the events of the story.

Resident Lore-Hound
            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

It's been seven years, so I guess I can reveal this...

...the patron of the clanbook compilers, WH, is the protagonist of a dating sim.

Cavaliers of Mars Creator
              Retired CofD Lead

Check out my guides to Vampire and my indie games!

Comment

My flabber is suitably gasted.

Comment

I played a lot of love stories through my WoD chronicles (both WoDs). But an actual Dating Sim... its something I'll have to try ASAP!

Leliel made me remember of Monster Musume, that plays out indeed as a very similar idea, even if not in the WoD proper. And it is a very interesting manga (one of the few I read, I'm not a big fan of manga or anime, with a few exceptions here and there).

Sorry if I seem too straightforward, or if I don't get you. Autism isn't a forgiving condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
                    It's been seven years, so I guess I can reveal this...

...the patron of the clanbook compilers, WH, is the protagonist of a dating sim.
                    David Bowie was in a dating sim?

Comment

Originally posted by Illuminated Minutia View Post
                      David Bowie was in a dating sim?
                      TW was "David Bowie", not WH.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                      Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

a trio of date ideas.

elder vampire who thinks you're the reincarnation of a long lost lover from their mortal days.

An ivory claw werewolf who is interested in you despite being obligated to another Claw in an arranged marriage. For bonus points, the other claw they are engaged to is also a possible date and one ending has you ending up with both of them.

A proxmi who is dating you (a sleeper) because they know it will piss off their overprotective and somewhat snooty/arrogant mage parents.

any other ideas?

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

A Demon that, via multiple Covers, is both your wing-mate, and as many as 2-3 potential dates of varying personality (who may spread rumors about the "others" just for kicks)..

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

A Kuudere Beast who's really cold and treats everyone with contempt while in the "Real" but acts all sweet and friendly in the Nightmares she/he produces.

Light and Dark are two Sides of a Coin... Humanity is What Happens when it Lands on it's Edge.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
                              Everyone is in a nightclub. The main character is ahunter who has to decide to date or kill every other supernatural. Sometimes both.
                              And we shall call it 'Fuck, Marry or Kill.'

Comment

Working...
                              X