Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[NSFW] NWOD As A Dating Simulator: What Would It Be Like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [NSFW] NWOD As A Dating Simulator: What Would It Be Like?

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, click here.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: I am not in any way asking you to say what your romantic and sexual preferences are. You may do that at your discretion, but no one is demanding it.

I'm more interested in knowing what other users think about the nuances of romance in NWOD. Like, how would dating a Promethean man or woman even work? How would the protagonist handle Disquiet? And if there is an option for them to live together, what about Wastelands? And Pandorans?

My guess is that it would be a considerably self-aware game. They might crack a dry joke here and there about all the darkness in the world and the spooky things going on. Maybe they even break the fourth wall. But the general atmosphere is mostly serious, with a strong dose of eeriness and Gothic-like aesthetics. A good soundtrack is a must have, methinks. Bad endings would probably outnumber the good ones by a fair margin. As for what kind of art style it would have, I dunno. If you know any artists that are good with Gothic scenery and/or expressionism, be they classic or online, I'd love to hear it.

Not to mention that the numerous factions for mortals and supernaturals could make for some interesting combinations. How would you reconcile the religious/spiritual conflicts between, say, a Nosferatu of the Lancea et Sanctum and a Messenger Integrator? What about the differences in leadership methods between a Fairest of the Spring Court and a Ventrue of the Invictus?

For the purposes of not making the game absurdly huge, I think the protagonist can only be a mortal. Perhaps you could unlock a Beast protagonist somehow.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 08-26-2015, 10:45 AM.

• LostLight
    replied
    Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    No one actually likes School Days.
    Let's check what this School Days on googl- OH GOD WHY?

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Aiden View Post

Na, some people do like School Days because they like seeing the scumbag protagonist get murdered for his nonsense.
    I stand by what I said.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    I see

In that case, that’s not what I meant. I don’t know much about dating simulators, and if that’s the basic idea behind it then I don’t like them. I just thought it would be cool to include romance plot lines in a Chronicles of Darkness RPG or video game without necessarily making romance the sole focus of the game. I know some video games like Dragon Age have them.

Anyway, never mind. My bad.

Leave a comment:

• Aiden
    replied
    Na, some people do like School Days because they like seeing the scumbag protagonist get murdered for his nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post

Isn’t that the basic idea beyond most dating sims. You talk to them and you learn how to solve the “Puzzle”. And you get awarded with a Sex scene.
    Like many media, that says ‘You act nice to a girl,” you “Deserve” to by in a Romantic relationship with you. See Incels and Eliot Rodger,

Add some outside drama. And spooks. and you get a psychological Horror game. Maybe you could even deconstruct the idea of Love and Romance in Western culture. Disguised as a Dating Sim.

And no it’s not the “win condition”. I think it ends with Love intrest Killing you.

Leave a comment:

• Konradleijon
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    I think what Konradleijon meant is what I meant: that having a victory condition where you basically pressure or manipulate your love interest into having sex with you would be a really BAD idea.
    Isn’t that the basic idea beyond most dating sims. You talk to them and you learn how to solve the “Puzzle”. And you get awarded with a Sex scene.
    Like many media, that says ‘You act nice to a girl,” you “Deserve” to by in a Romantic relationship with you. See Incels and Eliot Rodger,

Add some outside drama. And spooks. and you get a psychological Horror game. Maybe you could even deconstruct the idea of Love and Romance in Western culture. Disguised as a Dating Sim.

And no it’s not the “win condition”. I think it ends with Love intrest Killing you.
    Last edited by Konradleijon; 11-11-2019, 07:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    I think what Konradleijon meant is what I meant: that having a victory condition where you basically pressure or manipulate your love interest into having sex with you would be a really BAD idea.

Leave a comment:

• Konradleijon
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

No. No. No. no. Fuck no.
    Oh god I think I phased that wrong. I’ll fix that.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Leliel View Post

"Excuse me? I'm a bit of a stickler mummy. What about your dating game, just in case this doesn't work out?" *aims athame at random person*
    "Yes, I can see that you're a Sesha-Hebsu."

Leave a comment:

• Leliel
    replied
    Not directly related to the Fate reference(although, Yes), but

Fun Fact: In the middle of all my gothic imaginings of possible Mummy games, I have one Kheru character I will use at some point and time who everyone has some kind of bone to pick with due to one very shared Descent.

That Descent started with said Kheru awakening to the purpose of some dipshit wanting to claim his one true love, and as the Kheru became increasingly frustrated and blocked in his efforts to fulfill that purpose proceeded to Mr. Meeseeks all the other local mummies into the problem by having their cults awaken everyone else to help him.

Cosmic horror, generational gothic dramas, and brutal pre-bronze age violence sagas, and in the middle of all that, a fucking hapless loser romance story.

"Excuse me? I'm a bit of a stickler mummy. What about your dating game, just in case this doesn't work out?" *aims athame at random person*

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

No. No. No. no. Fuck no.

i think he was saying the route would be a deconstruction of typical dating sim behavior? the love interest recognizes you're basically just trying to tell them whatever they want to hear for nefarious reasons? still probably uncomfortable.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
    I know that gets really creepy, maybe having one route end with your Love interest telling you. Being manipulating them and slowly breaking there self-esteem so you could F.ck them,
    No. No. No. no. Fuck no.

Leave a comment:

• Konradleijon
    replied
    I know that gets really creepy, maybe having one route end with your Love interest telling you how creepy and manipulating you have been and slowly breaking there self-esteem so you could F.ck them, as a deconstructions of Dating sims and Pickup culture, And treating people like games.
    Last edited by Konradleijon; 11-10-2019, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    That being said, too much romance would lead to a very sickly sweet game, so you would need to include some combat and political intrigue to balance things out. You would also want to be wary of the trend in some dating sims where you “win” by having sex with your love interest (usually a girl).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X