Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[NSFW] NWOD As A Dating Simulator: What Would It Be Like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [NSFW] NWOD As A Dating Simulator: What Would It Be Like?

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, click here.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: I am not in any way asking you to say what your romantic and sexual preferences are. You may do that at your discretion, but no one is demanding it.

I'm more interested in knowing what other users think about the nuances of romance in NWOD. Like, how would dating a Promethean man or woman even work? How would the protagonist handle Disquiet? And if there is an option for them to live together, what about Wastelands? And Pandorans?

My guess is that it would be a considerably self-aware game. They might crack a dry joke here and there about all the darkness in the world and the spooky things going on. Maybe they even break the fourth wall. But the general atmosphere is mostly serious, with a strong dose of eeriness and Gothic-like aesthetics. A good soundtrack is a must have, methinks. Bad endings would probably outnumber the good ones by a fair margin. As for what kind of art style it would have, I dunno. If you know any artists that are good with Gothic scenery and/or expressionism, be they classic or online, I'd love to hear it.

Not to mention that the numerous factions for mortals and supernaturals could make for some interesting combinations. How would you reconcile the religious/spiritual conflicts between, say, a Nosferatu of the Lancea et Sanctum and a Messenger Integrator? What about the differences in leadership methods between a Fairest of the Spring Court and a Ventrue of the Invictus?

For the purposes of not making the game absurdly huge, I think the protagonist can only be a mortal. Perhaps you could unlock a Beast protagonist somehow.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 08-26-2015, 10:45 AM.

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    You want to know what Monster Prom is? Im not entirely sure what you are asking, but is that the gist?
    Belatedly, yes, I think?

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    You want to know what Monster Prom is? Im not entirely sure what you are asking, but is that the gist?

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Since this thread is dating sim-esque vs Monster Prom esque, maybe you'd all like to bring it home for the rest of us all?

We are so...very hungry after all.

(also I have a perserve additiction to translation and I want to understand both it and you).

Leave a comment:

• Leliel
    replied
    So glad this thread is back. On the subject of Monster Prom, have not played it, but I've watched a millipn or so playthroughs

Same. Pretty good inspiration for what happens when monsters let themselves out in the open.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    So glad this thread is back. On the subject of Monster Prom, have not played it, but I've watched a millipn or so playthroughs

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    On another note, you've all played Monster Prom, right? I feel like Monster Prom would be a good place to start with this.

If you haven't played Monster Prom, go play Monster Prom.

Leave a comment:

• Leliel
    replied
    Bumping, in honor of the oncoming Contagion Chronicle - and with a good backstory:

Essentially, the last Contagion outbreak, the good guys lost magnificently. It surged out of control, Naglfar's Army managed to sabotage quarantine, entire sections of the world are now alien hot zones of infected terrain where physics are a pick-and-choose proposition - except the Sworn saw it coming a mile away and already had a bunch of shelters and a plan for rebuilding society set up; they didn't fail so much as stalemate the apocalypse, and the humans who survived (about 90% overall, 65% said survivors in safe zones) are getting back to a level of comfort and development from pre-Outbreak Earth about fifty years later.

Of course, the big secret of supernatural existence has been blown open with about three nukes, and the supernatural-controlled city states, new to public and legitimate power, are starting to argue about who gets to define the society of the new Earth. To say nothing of how the Army is rather pissed their conquest of the world didn't leave them in charge forever and they're sponsoring radical movements to restart the End of Days. Hence, the Sworn as a gesture towards goodwill and harmony have sponsored a college for young "extraordinary" students (ie, supernatural ones with a smattering of hunters) to teach them how to live in peace with each other and mortals.

You, naturally, are one of the students who is only semi-extraodinary. You're a psychic/lesser necromancer/talented fighter when faced with a devil of the Contagion, but otherwise pretty mundane.

Well, except for the fact you seem to hit the romantic fancy of seemingly every supernatural being in the college, and your professors contrive ways to get you to meet cute and ratchet up the romantic tension. This is, of course, entirely deliberate; the Sworn seers have noticed you have a knot of fate that surrounds you that pushes events to make monsters and hunters fall in love with you and each other, even when you aren't a partner in the horizontal dance, so to speak (in most routes the other characters start getting together). This is, of course, very appealing to organizations where peace between all subspecies of humanity is the whole goal.

Naturally, Naglfar's Army finds out, and decide they want you as a recruitment tool regardless of your feelings on the matter. Worse, they aren't the only False faction out there who survived; the Crucible Initiative is quite interested as well, and trying to decide whether to use you as a new surgeon general or are a Contagious tumor to be pruned. They are naturally the sources of the dark LIs, with the Army being represented by a sweet girl who turns out to be a ruthless Fire-Touched who believes that the current state of the world is a half-born return to Pangaea (she sincerely believes the only way for humans to live in peace is to remind them their natural state is the middle of the food chain), and the Initiative by a polite boy who turns out to be a third generation initiate of an extreme sect of the Malleus Maleficarum who feels only the destruction and purging of the hot zones and everything in it will stop the world from dying again.

Leave a comment:

• Leliel
    replied
    With Night Horrors: The Tormented out, I'm wondering if we can't have a brutal parody and satire of some kind of dating sim with a chapter from the perspective of one of those cliche sadsack depth-of-birdbath audience stand-in kind of dating sim protagonist, who humble-brags about his obedient real-life waifu of a girlfriend-until he's badly injured by the main antagonist, at which point the "reproduce" program of the Petrificatus takes over and robotically kills him, his body erupting into Pandorans which the main antagonist wrangles as part of his plot. Later, when you meet the Automaton, the "lovable pervert" LI has been flirting with her and now wants to be anywhere else, as s/he finds her creepy after reading the room and realizing she literally has no interests other than whoever is flirting with her.

Also a hidden LI (maybe DLC), as it's possible to kindle an actual personality in her and make her...well, completely different than who she was as a zombie. Her route's question is "Will you let others decide who they are?"

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    Speaking of which, I'm not sure I like the route-driving questions I posited for Hunter and Deviant. Anyone got any other ideas.

Also, should we update the Sineater stuff given the thematic change from hedonists to underworld activists?
    Eventually. At least one group of Underworld Activists are Hedonists too, so they aren't wrong, so much as limited.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Speaking of which, I'm not sure I like the route-driving questions I posited for Hunter and Deviant. Anyone got any other ideas.

Also, should we update the Sineater stuff given the thematic change from hedonists to underworld activists?

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Perfect cell View Post

Or...we can take this in the other direction and make it into a game that's so bad that it's good. complete with cheesy lines.
    I prefer it as serious. Romance in the complicated, secretive and highly exploitative world of the CoD is fascinating

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Perfect cell
    replied
    Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
    It'd say CoD date simulator would be the scariest one this side of Japan, this is a horror game, so your night ending with your date trying to eat you, and not in the fun way, is a distinct possiblity.
    Or...we can take this in the other direction and make it into a game that's so bad that it's good. complete with cheesy lines.

Leave a comment:

• Leliel
    replied
    Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

In the CofD, there are worse things that could happen to you other than your date eating you. Ghouling, Claiming, anything Abyssal, moonlit stroll through the Hedge, Centimanus "Flux fun time", etc.
    And let's face it: The CofD is the kind of world where being devoured to empower another could be the meal's idea.

"No...don't do it!"

"I'm sorry, master, but if the Malleus interrupt the ritual we are both dead. I can serve as the sacrifice just as easily."

"There's other confluxes, we can rebuild-"

"If you try, then they will never allow you to attempt this moment again. I will stab myself-you only need finish the sacrament."

(Cue sad music unique to this scene.)

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
    It'd say CoD date simulator would be the scariest one this side of Japan, this is a horror game, so your night ending with your date trying to eat you, and not in the fun way, is a distinct possiblity.
    This almost sounds like you're saying you're not into horror erotica, which is is surprising for you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X