Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone done a 2E update of the Purified?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone done a 2E update of the Purified?

I'm looking for a 2E update of the Purified from World of Darkness: Immortals. Bonus points if it expands them into a full template, rather than an admittedly powerful "minor" template. I could do the work myself, and will if need be, but it's always easier to see if someone else has done so, first.

Freelancer • Available for work!

Octavo wrote a very functional GMC update for the Purified, and I know someone's made them a full splat before and had worked on updating them to 2e. Both were in the same thread around this section somewhere, if I recall correctly.

Comment

Right here in fact.

Onyx Path Moderator
      Mod Voice is RED*
      *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
      Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

Aha. Thank you very much, both of you. I'm checking that stuff out right now.

Freelancer • Available for work!

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Redfield View Post
          Aha. Thank you very much, both of you. I'm checking that stuff out right now.
          Any opinions on it?

Comment

There's also this writeup by quantumelody from that thread: http://bit.ly/1nthGj1 This is what I use.

Comment

And don't miss out on the full document quantumelody and I put together, which is an update of the version Inodiv linked directly above me: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3M...V0SnIzS1k/view

Comment

I think an official update will be in Mummy: The Cursed 2e.

Comment

Originally posted by Callishka View Post
                  And don't miss out on the full document quantumelody and I put together, ....
                  I'm actually playing a character using that splat now. It's excellent, so thank you very much for putting it together!

I do have a question of my own. In the numina section, there's a reference to http://wodindex.wikispaces. That page is defunct. Does the list of numina that used to be there exist anywhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by Fortunatus View Post

I'm actually playing a character using that splat now. It's excellent, so thank you very much for putting it together!

I do have a question of my own. In the numina section, there's a reference to http://wodindex.wikispaces. That page is defunct. Does the list of numina that used to be there exist anywhere else?
                    Glad it was useful! (It was mostly Quantumelody's work, though I did do that 6.2 section you're referring to)

Looks like the webhost changed: http://wodcodex.com/wiki/Numina_(1st_Edition)

Edit: Tell us about your character!

Comment

Looks like the webhost changed: http://wodcodex.com/wiki/Numina_(1st_Edition)
                      Ah, so it's the Codex of Darkness list after all. Cool.

Edit: Tell us about your character!
                      Wait. You're asking a gaming nerd to talk about his character? Please don't throw me in that briar patch!

She's based loosely on Gong Er from Wong Kar-Wai's The Grandmaster, and she has the same name as that character. Her father, Gong Yutian, was a Taoist alchemist and highly respected martial artist in Manchuria in the 1910's and '20's. Gong Er and her elder brother, Gong Cao, were his students and assistants, learning his secrets as he raised them. in 1924, Gong Yutian retired from the jianghu (very roughly translates to the martial arts community), and he Purified himself with his children's help two years afterward. As he transcended mortality, the stern patriarch forbade his children from following in his footsteps. Instead, they were to ensure that the Gong family and its particular martial and alchemical secrets lived on.

Gong Er and Gong Cao dutifully obeyed their father. Gong Cao married and started a family. Gong Er tried to do the same, but years of exposure to the virulent chemicals that gave Gong Yutian immortality had rendered her barren. After her husband divorced her, Gong Er moved in with her brother's family. The intervening few years were marred only by the Gong's fierce sibling rivalry over who was the superior martial artist. Their happy existence ended in 1931, when the family was forced to move south due to the Japanese invasion of Manchuria and they joined some distant relatives in the capital, Nanjing.

While Gong Cao labored to recreate the family's martial arts school, Gong Er practiced medicine and midwifery. Six years later, they had finally established themselves as rising stars in the community when the Japanese invaded in earnest. Gong Cao and his family died during the first week of the massacre, and Gong Er escaped to the countryside by the skin of her teeth. Seething with hatred and a need to avenge her brother, she spent the next year living as a vagrant, secretly gathering reagents and equipment. Eventually, she was ready to repeat her father's experiment. She would either die or she would do her duty and see her brother's killers pay.

Of course, she was not at all ready for what came next. The Shadow, boiling as it was from the violence of the war and still resounding with the screams of Nanjing's victims, was spectacularly hostile. Dark spirits glided through the realm, growing fat off the horrors Gong Er had lived through. A wisp formed from her own hatred nearly consumed her before she could even begin to gather her wits enough to defend herself. The only reason she survived was Gong Yutian. The patriarch had watched his family at a distance, using their successes and travails as one of the foundations of his Simulacrum. He was as devastated by their loss as his daughter, and he clung to his humanity through his anguish for her. The two fought desperately through the Shadow to reunite her with her body.

They spent most of World War II waging an occult war against supernatural agents of the Japanese Empire. After that, they fled their own people as Mao's followers burned the world they'd known. Over time, Gong Er and Gong Yutian began to go their separate ways more and more often. She spent most of the 1970s in Paris, while he peregrinated through South America. Gong Er didn't see her father at all as she toured West Africa and North America during the '80s and '90s. She moved to Montreal on a whim in 2005 and, much to her surprise, her father joined her there nearly a decade later.

Gong Er, a.k.a. Emma Wong
                      Concept: wuxia novel-esque martial artist and Taoist alchemist
                      Virtue: Competitor
                      Vice: Arrogant

Intelligence 2, Strength 2, Presence 2 (Power 6)
                      Wits 3, Dexterity 4, Manipulation 2 (Finesse 9)
                      Resolve 3, Stamina 2, Composure 3 (Resistance 8)

Mental Skills: Academics 2 (Chinese literature), Medicine 2, Occult (alchemy, spirits) 4, Politics 1
                      Physical Skills: Athletics 5, Brawl (Baguazhang) 5, Drive 1, Stealth 1, Weaponry (knives) 3
                      Social Skills: Empathy 1, Expression 1, Intimidation 1, Streetwise 1

Merits: Deathless, Esoteric Armory 2, Languages (Cantonese, English, French, Mandarin), Locus 3 (alchemy equipment), Mentor 3 (Gong Yutian), Occultation 1, Professional Training 3 (martial artist), Resources 3 (mostly from the underground fight club she runs), Striking Looks 1 ('cause, y'know, Zhang Ziyi)
                      Fighting Merits: Boxing 2, Defensive Combat 1, Fighting Finesse (Baguazhang), Martial Arts 5, Unarmed Defense (Brawl)

Chi: 3
                      Essence 13/3

Ban: may not harm anyone peacefully practicing an art (martial or otherwise)
                      Bane: modern Western medicine
                      Influences: competition 2, toxic waste 1 (the acids, poisons, and heavy metals in her elixir)

Siddhi: Siddhi of the Flesh 1, Siddhi of the Will 1
                      Numina: Annihilate Matter, Blast, Countermagic, Drain

The other characters in the game are a were-raven (basically a re-skinned Uratha) and a psychic, both of which are the result of a nasty bunch of folks heavily inspired by the Deviant kickstarter. We got a relatively hefty bag of experience out of the starting gate, most of which was earmarked for non-supernatural stuff. We've only played two games so far, but Emma's proving to be a massive ball of fun.
                      Last edited by Fortunatus; 10-16-2019, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I've also heard that they're putting official writeups for 2e Immortals in Mummy 2e. Should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortunatus View Post

Ah, so it's the Codex of Darkness list after all. Cool.

Wait. You're asking a gaming nerd to talk about his character? Please don't throw me in that briar patch!
                          What a wonderful concept! I'm thrilled you went with an Outer Pather. I love all types of Purified, but I was hoping someone out there would try our take on the 2E Outer Path, what with all its alchemical goodness. Love her bans, banes, and influences! What a trip.

Comment

Working...
                          X