Alien: the Stranded

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien: the Stranded

I've been watching this fan game for a little, it's Aliens in the World of Darkness. What's not to love? However, today I loaded it up and the owner had deleted it (and I don't know who the owner is) so I saved a copy here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...piedFromTrash#) in case the owner frequents here, and can see that the work was saved, or if the owner keeps it deleted, so maybe it can be finished.

My Homebrew
    Star Wars d10
    The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
    Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Not deleted...updated. Hold on a second I'll dig up the link that I updated in the OP...

Use the following instead: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Got tired of working in Google Docs and switched to Word, which is what I write in natively (was copy and pasting from Word to Google before). No worries about finishing...although the manuscript is taking a wee bit longer than I anticipated. I think it (this rough draft) should be done around January~ish, at which time I'll be handing it off to the community here for edits and additional drafting so I can write another trashy novel.
    Last edited by Jacob; 08-06-2016, 12:21 PM. Reason: Updated this document again

Comment

Ah, well man, I love your work. I got a little scared it got scrapped when I saw it was deleted. Thanks for replying.

My Homebrew
      Star Wars d10
      The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
      Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Comment

Thanks. No worries. Just needed to refresh the document. Made a global change to one term yesterday and didn't want to figure out how to repeat in Google Docs... so delete and new upload...

This honestly argues that I should be doing stuff in Git but I'm not sure how Git and Word interact so...

Comment

You mean native integration, or just how GIT might interact with a Word Doc? I haven't found any issues with it.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Noticed the other day that the original link was to the docx file and that updates weren't being reflected. Does anyone want to confirm that the new link actually links to a viewable version that reflects more recent updates?

Repeating the link above down here for convenience: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Note that I haven't updated the original posts link (not sure that I want to go through that much thread necromancy).
            Last edited by Jacob; 08-06-2016, 12:22 PM. Reason: Updated this document again.

Comment

Can't say if the most recent updates are there, I didn't look this archive for quite some time by now, but it seems pretty long by now. I really wanted to take some more works going on that thread, but your Stranded was the one a looked forward most to see complete. It would be really a shame if it got lost.

Sorry if I seem too straightforward, or if I don't get you. Autism isn't a forgiving condition.

Comment

Bumping this to alert those reading it that I'll be doing another cycle of new links in order to integrate global changes I made to accommodate the WoD -> Chronicles of Darkness rebranding. Expect whatever links you're using now to stop working 24 hours from now. I'll update the three posts I've made with the link to use the new link then.

Comment

Giving this topic a bump to announce that the rough draft of Alien: the Stranded is finished. Feel free to leave comments here. Those wishing to add remarks to the manuscript itself should PM me and I'll provide you with the "commenting" link (not doing that here to avoid spam bots). I'll be playtesting it come February (and going through March/April) but I'm not very likely to make any revisions before next Fall (or possibly next year -- among other things I want to write another novel and I've a pesky dissertation proposal that needs development).

Feedback is welcome and muchly appreciated. If you can be specific as to where you perceive failings to be and suggest alternatives that would be best. The link again is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
                  Last edited by Jacob; 08-06-2016, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Off World Supporters needs a system connected to it - otherwise, there's no point taking more than one dot.

Also, you left out the electricity resistance in the Resistances section (or left in a reference in Electrocytes), and really need to condense the Conditions. They are all pretty wordy and (especially in the case of the Paranoia conditions) are kinda piddly in terms of modifiers. Good conditions have a small number of modifiers but communicate their effects through manipulating other mechanics.

In general, it's fine to leave the Beat and Resolution triggers as sentence fragments. Compare:

Feverish [Condition]

Your character has contracted a disease that is making it gravely ill. Any time your character engages in combat, it suffers from the Sick (Grave) Tilt. More-over, when outside of combat, it must roll its Stamina + Resolve every time a number of hours equal to its Stamina have passed. On a failed roll it suffers one point of Bashing Damage. The character cannot heal damage while it suffers from this condition. If any lethal damage is suffered because of this condition, the character’s sickness will worsen (see below). Resolution: This condition may be resolved in one of four ways:
                    1. Gain a beat and resolve this condition if a point of lethal damage is caused by it. The character gains the Delirious Condition.
                    2. Gain a beat and resolve this condition after a number of days equal to the character’s Stamina. The character gains the Delirious Condition.
                    3. Gain a beat and resolve this condition if the character rolls an exceptional success on any roll to resist damage caused by the illness. The character gains the Recovering Condition.
                    4. Gain a (single) beat if the character treats the sickness with medicine or by seeking treatment from a knowledgeable physician of some kind. Treatment requires medicinal substances of some kind which may have to be gathered (at the Storyteller’s discretion). The character treating the disease makes an extended roll using Intelligence + Medicine. They must accumulate a number of successes equal to 15 - the sick character’s Stamina. A failed roll represents an adverse reaction to the medication causing the sick character to suffer their Stamina in points of bashing damage. Once enough successes have been accumulated the Feverish Condition is resolved and sick character gains the Recovering Condition. In the event of a dramatic failure, the Feverish Condition is resolved and the sick character gains the Delirious Condition.
                    to

Feverish [Condition]

Your character has contracted a disease that is making it gravely ill. Any time your character engages in combat, it suffers from the Sick (Grave) Tilt. More-over, when outside of combat, it must roll its Stamina + Resolve every time a number of hours equal to its Stamina have passed. On a failed roll it suffers one point of Bashing Damage. The character cannot heal damage while it suffers from this condition. If a number of days equal to your Stamina pass or the damage from this conditions wraps around to Lethal, resolve this Condition and gain the Delirious Condition. Otherwise, you gain the Recovering Condition upon resolving this one.
                    Resolution: Get an Exceptional Success on the roll to prevent further damage. Someone scores [15 - your Stamina] successes on an extended Intelligence + Medicine roll.
                    Beat: Receive medical treatment from a professional.
                    I'd personally go even further than that and remove the need for an extended Medicine roll. I'd drop the Beat line and replace the Resolution line with:

• Resolution: Get an Exceptional Success on the roll to prevent further damage. Receive professional medical treatment.

Also, I wouldn't swap between second and third persons like you do in the Condition; either stick with using you or your, or use it the whole way through.

Remember, brevity is a virtue. I can't think of any official Conditions that I wouldn't be able to fit on one side of an index card.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Starting to read Alien The Stranded corebook and I like most what I see. It would be interesting experience to play a game in what you play a part of alien who plays a part to look human.

For more useful comment, I just read section on using Latin as game terms and I maybe have something to add to it - Seeing how Lating is seen as "noble language", in that most modern Western dialects are diverted from, and Latin was spoken as language of Roman Empire - maybe Aliens like to use it, seeing Latin as "highest of natives tongues", remembering partially high culture of their homeworld, now more and more eludes them as they are more Stranded on Earth. Seeing the natural parallels with Latin as language is fairly obvious I think.

Or you can even go full Star Gate on that and say that Latin was based on speech of alien civilization, so it's pointing Stranded they can build something on Earth, if they try.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                      LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I now need only the conspiracy of Stranded, working inside the Earths governments, X Files style. Could I make it with Alien game as it is?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                        LGBT+ through Ages
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                          I now need only the conspiracy of Stranded, working inside the Earths governments, X Files style. Could I make it with Alien game as it is?
                          You should be able to. There is an entire appendix devoted to mortal collaborators.

Comment

One kind of alien that I wish was covered, but isn't — though I mostly understand why:

• “humans from the stars”: just as there are numerous alien races within each Taxon, wouldn't humanity itself be but one race within a Taxon? That is, this Taxon would involve species who could pass for human with at most a mundane disguise kit. The flip side of this is that they're unlikely to have Adaptations, and their lack of a means of Camouflage makes Exposure particularly problematic. They'd still be aliens though, with the usual susceptibility to Terran diseases, issues with Assimilation, and alien Vessels. This Taxon is the stereotypical nordic alien — though in typical Chronicles of Darkness fashion, they come in a variety of appearances rather than all conforming to a single human ethnicity.

Other thoughts:
                            • Shared Vessels: as written, Alien: the Stranded assumes that each alien has his, her, or its own Vessel. But what about spacecraft that had crew and/or passengers, not just a single occupant? This strikes me as a frequent occurrence, and one way to establish a tightly-knit Cluster of aliens — though the shared origin would tend to imply (but not mandate) a common Taxon and Occupātio as well. It would also tend to strain the Vessel's resources.

• You need a Glossary of all the Latin terms you've used.

Comment

Yeah. It needs a thorough indexing too.

Regarding the "humans from the stars", I was thinking that the Visiones could fulfill that role. The manifestation rules are actually pretty helpful in this case.

However building them as using the exotic taxa rules would also make sense. Since they don't have a use for a camouflage adaptation, replacing it with a dread power would serve to differentiate them.

Comment

Working...
                              X