No announcement yet.

Monarch: the Endless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, now there is, now that I have gotten around to canning the entire “web of powers” thing earlier. Way too complicated that it broke my brain.

I also had to think of the themes more and I came to a couple of realizations.

Ruler of Nations
    Unlike most other splats, a Monarch is a ruler. More specifically, a ruler of her own nation as its despot. It’s small all things considered, but, well, you could almost take over a city by force if it weren’t for the massive repercussions of doing so.
    It still gives you massive power outside of your own person, an army of your own for instance allows you to pretty much wipe out most individuals if you catch them.
    However, this means
    And really, no matter how powerful of a Monarch you are or how great your Colony is you cannot take over the entire planet even with an alliance of everyone else in the city or country. And even if you tried… you also must answer to those above you. There’s also the fact that in doing so, your rivals will without a doubt swoop in and destroy you.
    Power equals responsibility.
    Endless Recurrence
    A meta-theme about ultimately, events and progression being a cyclical, repeating endeavor. Endless “History” if it can be called is a never ending cycle of rises and falls, started by the founding of a ruler, ended by the death of this ruler. So too then is the lifecycle of a Colony, rising and falling as along with their rulers.
    Other examples of this theme are in premonitions or in divination powers, that do not so much … help you see the future, so much as they help you remember...
    Also, perhaps, ressurection.

Fealty and Oaths
    Tying both the above themes together is the importance of oaths and formal agreement. Not simply the whimsy proclaimations of the fae, but of signed and written contracts… well recorded.
    In fact, a Monarch gets her station due to an agreement to serve, and is granted a title and holdings to manage due to this. You are expected to Honor promises and treaties, and to ensure your stewardship was not misplaced.

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
    DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
    Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Interesting... I look forward to seeing more.

The first thing I thought of when I first read the intro was the Prototype games. I'm kind of imagining the Endless as a little like Blacklight crossed with Cthulhu. In other words, awesome.

Comment

Also, I must say that the idea of having what is to all intents and purposes a Zerg swarm at my beck and call is very tempting.

Comment

The juxtaposition of the biological, natural imagery of the Endless and the rigid, confined structures of a monarchy makes for an interesting combination.

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
            Also, I must say that the idea of having what is to all intents and purposes a Zerg swarm at my beck and call is very tempting.
            And like the Zerg you can basically drown most opponents in bodies. Seriously, most.... anything in world of darkness is going to survive against a dedicated Colony.... not without axing the Vassal or Monarch acting as the lynchpins. Dedicated armies though should be able to fight off a Swarm conventionally though.

However war isn't the only thing a Colony is good for. It's also an industry and labor force, birthing new units continously for say things like construction. Or for scientific experimentation.

Now.... trying to give rules to it all...

The juxtaposition of the biological, natural imagery of the Endless and the rigid, confined structures of a monarchy makes for an interesting combination.
            Thanks. I. Credit animal planet and national geographic once the initial seed goal was stated by dreaminggod05

DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
            Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Almarck View Post

And like the Zerg you can basically drown most opponents in bodies. Seriously, most.... anything in world of darkness is going to survive against a dedicated Colony.... not without axing the Vassal or Monarch acting as the lynchpins. Dedicated armies though should be able to fight off a Swarm conventionally though.

However war isn't the only thing a Colony is good for. It's also an industry and labor force, birthing new units continously for say things like construction. Or for scientific experimentation.

Now.... trying to give rules to it all...
              Good luck! I look forward to seeing your work. We expect great things from you, Mrs Almarck and Dreaminggod05...

Comment

Good luck! I look forward to seeing your work. We expect great things from you, Mrs Almarck and Dreaminggod05...
                Actually, I don't see Dreaminggod as much lately since he's constantly at work, so I guess I am on my own except for the one off times where he does speak up.

Anyways, I finally made some Headway in defining the Caste system. Surprisingly , Paradox Interactive helped out here.

Using crusader kings as a base, we have 5 seperate castes, based on the five attributes of governance.

Marshal, for warriors and law authorities
                Diplomat, for those who work on external politics
                Steward, for those who focus on internal affairs
                Shades, who focus on espionage and secrecy
                Scribes, those who focus on the acquisition of knowledge and research

Comment

Actually, I don't see Dreaminggod as much lately since he's constantly at work, so I guess I am on my own except for the one off times where he does speak up.

Anyways, I finally made some Headway in defining the Caste system. Surprisingly , Paradox Interactive helped out here.

Using crusader kings as a base, we have 5 separate castes, based on the five attributes of governance.

Marshal, for warriors and law authorities
                  Diplomat, for those who work on external politics
                  Steward, for those who focus on internal affairs
                  Shades, who focus on espionage and secrecy
                  Scribes, those who focus on the acquisition of knowledge and research

Cool. Mark me down as a scribe! I have a very strong image of my Noble Form (gotta love the irony there) as something a little like a cross between a harvestman and a cave-cricket with far too many legs to be anything from this world. Is this fitting-ish?

Also, i guess that the Stewards deal with inter-Monarch politics and Diplomats with Monarch-human/supernatural relations?

Comment

Cool. Mark me down as a scribe! I have a very strong image of my Noble Form (gotta love the irony there) as something a little like a cross between a harvestman and a cave-cricket with far too many legs to be anything from this world. Is this fitting-ish?
                    At the start yes. This should be fine. At the end, your form gets more esoteric and weird, especially if you take any of the powers relating to psychics, space or physics warping, and such. By the mid game, I think you should be able to take on Primal Kerrigan.

Also, i guess that the Stewards deal with inter-Monarch politics and Diplomats with Monarch-human/supernatural relations?
                    This correct, though the Diplomats also focus on Monarch relationships involving seperate courts.

How I envision things is that Monarchs all belong to a specific "Court", the specific geopolitical group they belong to which for most Courts covers an area the size of... Texas and Kansas...
                    Its structure varies, but it's generally set up in such a way there's an obvious top dog, with his vassals, and then their vassals, and so on. So, you have Dukes, Barons, Kings, and so on.
                    Diplomats handle relations between other courts, while Stewards are expected to not only handle their own Colonies (fiefdoms), but the politics of the internal affairs. Diplomats also handle relationships between the Kingmakers... who unlike the hybrid converted Monarchs are... "True Endless", creatures without any Terran influence in their genetics and possess Cerebrate like Immortality. The Kings of Earth are subservient to them as they are the ones who decide who becomes a Monarch or not... Without them, the Monarchs on Earth will die out a slow and painful death due to gradual depopulation due to natural causes.

I'm not going to define their power much, but... you can probably guess how powerful their military forces should be.
                    Last edited by Almarck; 03-07-2016, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Some notes: I have considered dropping a "Y-Splats" like Tribes and Covenants entirely from Monarch simply because Courts are... so important and well, you're either a member of the Local court, or you're not.

Marshal

Authority through arms, peace and order through bloodshed and justice.
                      The armored shell of a scarab beetle protruding with spikes and oozing corrosive sludge from its mouth. The deathly hands of a mantis warrior, its limbs sharp and poised to end the life of those defy the law. A man who holds a copper badge up whilst threatening to draw his gun…
                      Of all the Castes, a Marshal is tasked with both the most simple… and the most violent duty of his Court, to uphold the Laws of the Kings and of the Kingmakers and maintain security by force of arms and bloodshed if need be. His own Colony is an armed force first and foremost, a real “professional army” made for this duty.
                      Yet at the same time, a Marshal’s blood does not boil hot for a need to spill blood. His duty is to promote peace after all, and no slavering warmonger is able to do such. In the eyes of the Kingmakers, an ideal Marshall must compose himself as a mediator and an enforcer, though there are times when violence is the only answer…
                      Readiness and endurance are the key values that define a Marshall.
                      Marshall Noble Forms lean towards the larger, more enduring bodies than their Kin, though it is nearly as often for Marshals to devote themselves to more lethal forms, all to end conflict as swift as possible. This also applies to a Marshal’s Colonies, with powerful Marshalls being allowed to granted use of powerful combat Servants no other Caste is permitted to forge.

Noble Form Attributes Either swift and deadly or strong and enduring, a Marshall is geared for war.
                      Strength, Dexterity, Stamina +1.
                      Natural Melee +1
                      Natural Armor 1/1

Boons

1st
                      2nd
                      3rd Titan Beast Template
                      Last edited by Almarck; 03-07-2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Some notes: I have considered dropping a "Y-Splats" like Tribes and Covenants entirely from Monarch simply because Courts are... so important and well, you're either a member of the Local court, or you're not.
                        Perhaps the Y splats could be something less official and more personal and informal. Like a personal philosophy on how the Monarchs should deal with the Endless. Should they be simply subservient? Should they quietly resist? etc etc

Comment

Perhaps the Y splats could be something less official and more personal and informal. Like a personal philosophy on how the Monarchs should deal with the Endless. Should they be simply subservient? Should they quietly resist? etc etc

I thought of that... but then it feels tacked on and more like a calling card than anything that has meaning. Idealogies, Oaths, Religions... I thought of using them before, but nothing quite... fits in my mind.

If they were to have a secondary affiliation, it would conflict with the Court affiliation.

A personal affiliation perhaps something like Werewolf Tribes is... worth considering if I decide to make the Kingmakers actual characters in the Lore, but if so, there in lies the question over what the pricipals and tangible advantages for affiliation to be.
                          Last edited by Almarck; 03-08-2016, 04:08 AM.

Comment

I kind of like the idea of the 'Y splat' not being codified, meaning you could hypothetically join any Court.

If you could just set me straight on this, I'm imagining the 'player groups' as a little like Corporations int EVE online, with Courts being like Capsular Alliances. is this about right?

Comment

Sadly, I don't play eve so I could not say

I have done some thinking onto thematically and I have decided for a theme for how powers are learned. The theme is.... items of nobility. This first power set is based off of Kerrigan, the Queen of Blades.

Blades
                              The ideal Monarch must be ready and able to fight against foes using physical might and powerful weaponry with her own foreclaws and thrashing limbs. Though, this often means cutting limbs and rending talons, “Blades” refers also to all manner of close combat natural weaponry whether they be blunt club feet, sharpened teeth, or spiny tails.

Monarch Active Powers Granted:

Transcendent Strikes 00000
                              All of the Monarch’s natural weaponry is wreathed in Void energies, allowing them to ignore any number of protections granted to the object.
                              Cost: 1 Psi
                              Reflexive Action
                              Dice pool: None
                              Duration: 1 Scene
                              When this Power is Active, any attack done by the Monarch done by natural weaponry, either through Blades or through Arrows, treats Armor and Durability ratings of attacked targets as though they were 0.

Human Form Upgrades:

Noble Form Upgrades:
                              Natural Melee Weapons 1L, Strength +1, Speed +1

Natural Melee Weapons 2L, Strength +1, Speed +1, Initiative +1

Natural Melee Weapons 3L, Strength +1, Dexterity +1, Speed +2, Initiative +2

Natural Melee Weapons 4L, Strength +1, Dexterity +1, Speed +2, Initiative +3

Natural Melee Weapons 5L, Strength +2, Dexterity +1, Stamina +1, Health +1 Speed +3, Initiative +3

Vassal Options:

New Templates:

Unlocked Mutations:
                              Name
                              Text
                              Cost:
                              Available For:

Allows:

Subcategories:
                              Last edited by Almarck; 03-08-2016, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                                Have you decided on a hunter conspiracy to oppose the Monarchs, yet? And is there a degenerated Monarch concept yet? On the latter, Perhaps a Monarch who rises to max Autonomy and remains there for too long cannot regain Willpower and must spend one Willpower every day or else roll for one final Degeneration, which if failed leaves the Monarch's human identity to be consumed by the Endless? The resultant monster acts on inscrutable principles, and is coldly calculating in seeking to accomplish it's goals.

Conversely, a Monarch who falls to zero Autonomy is consumed by the animal intellect of their Swarm and becomes something more feral.

Just an idea, I'm sure I could work on it a bit more if you want.

And you should probably decide on a theme before going too far. But good work so far, Almarck.
                                If you wanted to be really ironic about the high-Autonomy Monarchs' fate, you could make them become a Kingmaker. the only problem being that in doing so they lose all free will and are permanently bound he dictats of the Endless.

Comment

Working...
                                X