Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Siren: The Surfacing (nWoD Abandoned Fangame Resurrection)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -metablender View Post
    Sorry to not be as active over the holidays, hope everyone has been having a good year.

I wouldn't say there's a lack of progress, if you define progress as new material. Since 99% of Siren is ready this is the stage of revisions, such as making tweaks and adjustments to the mechanics.

Such as the Chorus structure, which I apologize if my last posts have muddled the design.
    It's fine. Everyone has lives. It's ok on that. It's the reason I haven't responded until now, sorry on that. ><"

Originally posted by -metablender View Post
    Your assumption is correct, save Invested sits at the end. There's a bit of confusion versus HOW a Chorus is meant to work with WHAT benefit the Chorus provides. I was trying to write examples of possible benefits at each tier, yet how these Arias manifest is always consistent to allow for unique Choruses to be written.

The Passive benefit is always available. It only requires Chorus membership, no activation or other costs.

The Active benefit usually requires no cost. The Siren can benefit from a single Active Aria each Cycle. If she was to switch the Active Aria before that time ran out, it requires the base Pnuema cost to activate early.

The Invested benefit has the most requirements. The Siren must be Active and pay a Pnuema price to keep the Invested Aria for the Cycle. Any use within that time has no further activation costs. Depending on the benefit in question, the potency of the effect can be scaled by increase payment of the same base Pnuema value. For this i've suggested either 15 or 20 Pneuma for the increment.
    I see. I'll implement those.

Where Siren sits at this moment does require more input than just one author. There's little to add outside of the campaign prompts (such as the Honolulu chapter) so a designated proofreader would help with revisions. Having anyone willing to play test Siren will also help, providing critical feedback. The reminder of 'tasks' come down to layout and art, which is more optional should anyone have the talent to contribute there.
    Indeed, and Siren is open for playtesting for anyone who's interested. When it comes to layout and Art, we had Yads Dom who made the awesome logo and a few examples for Character sheets, but he's gotten a new job and it's really taking a chunk of his time.

Also, there has been token bits of progress on Honolulu. Not very much mind you, but enough that we have a baseline on things. Also, I have something funny to share that has to do with Honolulu. Essentially, a weird law.

"In Honolulu, hawaii it is illegal to sing loudly outside after sunset."

Given Honolulu IS the Siren sample city, and they have powers on Verses, I just imagine this weird law existing because:

A: It makes it easier for Flensers to find Sirens from those arrested.
    B: The Celestial Currents set it up as part of the masquerade.
    C: Acheron made it to interfere with Siren's lives and make any caught "breaking the law" to be unable to do any actions.
    D: All of the above.

Either way, it's a funny tidbit I wanted to share.

Currently Doing: Siren: The Drowning (Fansplat Resurrection)

Comment

• I'm Always briefly back until I'm gone. But again, that's life. I wanted to, again, say how the game is incredible and how we all (mostly you Saul) did a great wprk on it. In this state it's almost finished and ready to play. I even have flirted with putting a few Siren characters and Trinkets and Treasures ia a few games of mine. But unfortunately I barely have time to play now, which means I couldnt go much further in testing the system. But alas, I have the archives all in my computer. and am Always around Reading.

Comment

• It's been awhile but I've finally had some thoughts for some more Choruses. I always had trouble coming up with ones that weren't just Crossover bridges. By no means are these finished drafts but they might provide something interesting.

Also, were the comments quoted on Choruses from the January 10th post above integrated into the document? Having just looked it says each membership and tier requires a full list of Akashic Record and Skill ratings with Pneuma dues each Cycle per effect, which is a lot of hoops to jump through for what is meant to be always available boons.

-------

The Chorus of the Parading Band
        The Big Band, the Music Meisters, the College of Bards
        Nicknames: musicians, the orchestra, band geeks

The Song takes many forms. While the majority of Sirens prefer to sing their Verses or tap a rhythm if they are denied their voice, it's easy to forget that the Song can convey through any medium of music. Sirens of this Chorus delight in learning instruments and performing in groups. The are, in some ways, the music industry of the Siren society. Although don't let their endless revisions, practice and jam sessions fool you. These Sirens are as serious about warning the world about the coming Deluge as much as any other. They find music performed on instruments, blending and redefining genres into new styles and having a full assembly of players to be one of the better ways to influence the world. Humanity is a species of romance and passion, and the Sirens of this chorus will learn whatever instrument from distant cultures to help adapt the flow of the Song for a new audience.

No means of producing music is off limits. Everything from marching big brass, hand carved acoustic, the latest electronica remixes, raving metal and opera strings are only the tip of the hodgepodge of styles mixed together in this Chorus.

Populace: Freshwater and Tropicana tend to be the most popular Waters in this Chorus, then Vaporiea and about equal amounts of the reminder. The Currents of Buoyancy, Harmony and Healing tend to stick out the most as well. Members of the Current of Wisdom are likely to become scholars of handcrafted musical libraries. Conflict isn't unheard of, as Sirens can weapons their music as well, although most of that Current stick to more straightforward approaches.

Passive Aria
        Each member of the Parading Band masters a particular instrument. Take a Specialty in Expression pertaining to this musical instrument or medium of performance. The Specialty in question also receives the benefits of the Area of Expertise and Interdisciplinary Merits for free.

Active Aria
        The Siren is never without her instrument. A treasured instrument becomes associated with her Diluvian form and it can also be drawn to her human form much like applying one of her Adaptations. It takes an instant action to retrieve it from anywhere it has been lost or taken.

The band that performs together creates of symphony of music with increased effects. Members of the Chorus can perform together to weave their Verses together in dynamic ways. This requires the Chorus to use the same Introduction and at least one Opus, although individual Conclusions provided by each member. Furthermore, the band gets an automatic success (that doesn't count for an exceptional success) for each added instrument to apply towards any particular Verse. The same automatic successes may also be used for a shared Trace.

Invested Aria
        The Siren must composure, arrange or remix a new piece of music with her instrument. By sending her Investment into the Song she creates an imprint of the music she has just created. The Siren selects one of her Conclusions. That Conclusion is tied to the piece. When the Siren performs her piece she may activate any of her Verses with that Conclusion for free. Rather, her Invested Pneuma becomes a deposit that can be spent back to activate the Conclusion, in place of the Siren's current stores of Pneuma. Obviously, when the Siren uses the last of her allotted Invested Pneuma she is no longer able to use the Invested Aria until she writes a new piece and again seals the notation with the Invested price.

The Chorus of the Chthonic Mourners
        The Avernian Avengers, Psychopomps of the Dead Rivers, the Underworld Sluagh
        Nicknames: Chthonian Daughters, Chthonian Sons, ferrymen, spelunkers, corpse fish

The Deluge marks the death of the world. Sirens of this Chorus, in place of looking towards the future Cataclysm to destroy an entire planet, track down other incursions of death. And they have found their answers in the 'final' resting place of ghosts, the land of the dead in a great Underworld from which the traces of lost souls and past epidemics can be discovered. Even more distant in this autochtonous depths, perhaps the record of past cataclysms can be found. Maybe the knowledge of what the sweet relief of death may bring, as the great dooming change that will ravage the world at the Deluge.

This that spend any time past the dark crevices and hell tunnels on the planet, down into that dead domain, find the Underworld to be fragmented by rivers. Rivers not always of water, rivers that include bone dust or congealed blood or lifeless seeds amongst other variations on death and decay. Each soon reaching an ocean of fragments, the edge of the dead realms where nothing that has passed beyond comes back. Sirens adapt to any body of water and the dead rivers of the Underworld are no exception, as Sirens study these rivers and the dead denizens that line their banks.

Populace: it goes without saying that Polaria boasts quite the representation of members, Death being their favored Opus after all. Discordia and Freshwater follow next, with fewer numbers of the rest. As for Currents: Acheron, Cocytus, Lethe, Phlegethon, Styx. Did you know that these are also iconic rivers amongst the multitude that crisscross the Underworld? It is quite odd to consider that this Chorus is perhaps the one mutually trusting sorority of the Abyssal Currents, Only Oceanus lacks a signature river, although the agents of Echidna may lay claim to the boundless dead sea beyond. However the reasons for seeking out the realm of the dead are varied, as this very Chorus can be prompt with numerous strifes. Amongst the Celestial Currents you may find Conflict and Wisdom, perhaps Buoyancy, more readily than any others.

Passive Aria
        The Siren becomes attuned to the state of the dead. She adds her Lucidity to any roll to notice, identify or decipher a ghost or other deathly phenomena, which she can see out of Twilight if successful.

Active Aria
        Once she knows of a passageway to the Underworld (called an Avernian Gate) she may cross over to it from up to Akashic Record miles away using the same process used for entering the Celestial Ocean. From there she must survive the depths and may seek out the dead souls of others. The Siren may treat a Ghost as a Breathless for the purposes of drawing Pneuma, instead targeting the living that remember that Ghost.

Invested Aria
        The Siren attunes herself to one of the rivers in the Underworld, learning all of its properties. When entering the Underworld she may travel anywhere along her patron river in an instant, both for navigating the infernal depths and to use the Underworld as a conduit between areas that resonate with the river's themes of death. Additionally, the Siren selects one skill as receiving the benefits of her patron river. That skill has the rote quality. However, the Siren effectively stains herself as a member of the dead rather than the living. She takes an extra point of damage from Ghosts or necrotic energies and any healing she receives, mundane or magical, heals one less point of the worst damage that what it could have.

The Chorus of Cosmonauts
        Riders of the Etheric Waves, Travelers of the Spacial Oceans
        Nicknames: aliens, astronauts, lunar bounders, orbiters

Survivors of the Deluge are few and far between, compared to the population of earth from pre-diluvian times. For some Sirens, with the knowledge that the death of an entire planet is coming they look to the stars. When one door closes surely another must open? Or in this instance, replace doors with planets. Those that study space theorize that further exploration and the possible colonization of other planets is possible. If little more than a distant fantasy outpacing current technology.

No time like the present...

Cosmonauts seek to guide humanity along mankind's next wayward leap. Some see the moon or Mars as likely candidates for future Civilizations, while others prefer such heavenly bodies to remain domains where Nature may change course drastically unbothered by human lives. Still others say that man will need to journey farther, the great Cataclysm could spell the end for our solar system as well as earth, with the next planet capable of sustaining life is an untold eons of lightyears away. And journeying space is a lonely trip.

Yet still other Sirens of this Chorus, more mindful of immediate needs, may deduce that it's a failure of space travel or some wayward debris that could spell doom for planet Earth. The upper limits of the atmosphere are as much a border to safeguard. Didn't an asteroid exterminate all the dinosaurs?

Populace: As the Waters are both a terrestrial and Celestial bridging of environs and cataclysms the outwards vastness of space suggests few correlations. With Vaporia and Freshwater as a possible uptick in representations any Water is otherwise valid for joining this Chorus.

Passive Aria
        When exposed to an airless, vacuum environment the Siren does not need to breath and is immune to the dangers such a void presents. She can eliminate her need to breath in any environment by drastically altering her physiology, although this requires a point of Aggravated damage that cannot be healed or degraded, or the Siren will need to breath once again.

Active Aria
        The Siren is able to control her own personal gravity. She may move up to twice her speed in any direction in reference to the gravity of another structure. Or she may dedicate herself to a plummet, a controlled orbit set by Dexterity + Science which sets her on an ever falling path until she makes another roll to slow her descent.

Invested Aria
        Paying immense stores of Pneuma the Siren furthers the relativistic speed of her orbit, allowing her to circumnavigate the globe or head out towards local bodies within a short timeframe. Many cosmonauts warn of Sirens unable to control these extremes speeds that meet fatal ends to their orbits. Additionally, the Siren prepares her body further towards the hazardous on other planets. When Invested she defines the hazard of a planet, be it one in our solar system or another. She is immune to all Environmental Tilts and sources of damage fitting the biome of the selected planet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yads Dom View Post
          I'm Always briefly back until I'm gone. But again, that's life. I wanted to, again, say how the game is incredible and how we all (mostly you Saul) did a great wprk on it. In this state it's almost finished and ready to play. I even have flirted with putting a few Siren characters and Trinkets and Treasures ia a few games of mine. But unfortunately I barely have time to play now, which means I couldnt go much further in testing the system. But alas, I have the archives all in my computer. and am Always around Reading.
          It's fine. Don't worry, life comes first. I'm sorry that there hasn't been any updates in the past few months.

It's been awhile but I've finally had some thoughts for some more Choruses. I always had trouble coming up with ones that weren't just Crossover bridges. By no means are these finished drafts but they might provide something interesting.
          Thank you. I'm sorry for the lack of updates as of now.

Also, were the comments quoted on Choruses from the January 10th post above integrated into the document? Having just looked it says each membership and tier requires a full list of Akashic Record and Skill ratings with Pneuma dues each Cycle per effect, which is a lot of hoops to jump through for what is meant to be always available boons.
          Meta, I hope this idea doesn't come off as a bad one or condescending, but if you desire, I could add you to be able to edit the Choruses page. I'm sorry that I keep getting them wrong.

I'm just gonna post this update here before anything else. I know my last post was in January and I know that there's been few changes to Siren (save grammatical ones). But as I've kinda said abit before, I feel my inspiration for Siren has hit an all time low. I feel that I've probably worked on it abit too much to the point that when I look at it, I see it more as "What's left to be done" and just seeing that there's still a pretty long final stretch (namely Honolulu and Choruses) just feels like it just burns me out and it shuts me down on any attempts to work on it. If it's alright, I think I'm gonna just say that Siren is on Hiatus right now. I don't mind if other people write, make ideas or bring them up, but I'm in no state to do anything myself for the time being. I'm so sorry about this. =m="

[spoiler]
          The Chorus of the Parading Band
          The Big Band, the Music Meisters, the College of Bards
          Nicknames: musicians, the orchestra, band geeks

The Song takes many forms. While the majority of Sirens prefer to sing their Verses or tap a rhythm if they are denied their voice, it's easy to forget that the Song can convey through any medium of music. Sirens of this Chorus delight in learning instruments and performing in groups. The are, in some ways, the music industry of the Siren society. Although don't let their endless revisions, practice and jam sessions fool you. These Sirens are as serious about warning the world about the coming Deluge as much as any other. They find music performed on instruments, blending and redefining genres into new styles and having a full assembly of players to be one of the better ways to influence the world. Humanity is a species of romance and passion, and the Sirens of this chorus will learn whatever instrument from distant cultures to help adapt the flow of the Song for a new audience.

No means of producing music is off limits. Everything from marching big brass, hand carved acoustic, the latest electronica remixes, raving metal and opera strings are only the tip of the hodgepodge of styles mixed together in this Chorus.

Populace: Freshwater and Tropicana tend to be the most popular Waters in this Chorus, then Vaporiea and about equal amounts of the reminder. The Currents of Buoyancy, Harmony and Healing tend to stick out the most as well. Members of the Current of Wisdom are likely to become scholars of handcrafted musical libraries. Conflict isn't unheard of, as Sirens can weapons their music as well, although most of that Current stick to more straightforward approaches.

Passive Aria
          Each member of the Parading Band masters a particular instrument. Take a Specialty in Expression pertaining to this musical instrument or medium of performance. The Specialty in question also receives the benefits of the Area of Expertise and Interdisciplinary Merits for free.

Active Aria
          The Siren is never without her instrument. A treasured instrument becomes associated with her Diluvian form and it can also be drawn to her human form much like applying one of her Adaptations. It takes an instant action to retrieve it from anywhere it has been lost or taken.

The band that performs together creates of symphony of music with increased effects. Members of the Chorus can perform together to weave their Verses together in dynamic ways. This requires the Chorus to use the same Introduction and at least one Opus, although individual Conclusions provided by each member. Furthermore, the band gets an automatic success (that doesn't count for an exceptional success) for each added instrument to apply towards any particular Verse. The same automatic successes may also be used for a shared Trace.

Invested Aria
          The Siren must composure, arrange or remix a new piece of music with her instrument. By sending her Investment into the Song she creates an imprint of the music she has just created. The Siren selects one of her Conclusions. That Conclusion is tied to the piece. When the Siren performs her piece she may activate any of her Verses with that Conclusion for free. Rather, her Invested Pneuma becomes a deposit that can be spent back to activate the Conclusion, in place of the Siren's current stores of Pneuma. Obviously, when the Siren uses the last of her allotted Invested Pneuma she is no longer able to use the Invested Aria until she writes a new piece and again seals the notation with the Invested price.
          I freaking love this idea. Banding Sirens together and stuff like that and a minor focus on how Verses are done through music. I should note on the Active Aria that it's "Alterations", not "Adaptations".

The Chorus of the Chthonic Mourners
          The Avernian Avengers, Psychopomps of the Dead Rivers, the Underworld Sluagh
          Nicknames: Chthonian Daughters, Chthonian Sons, ferrymen, spelunkers, corpse fish

The Deluge marks the death of the world. Sirens of this Chorus, in place of looking towards the future Cataclysm to destroy an entire planet, track down other incursions of death. And they have found their answers in the 'final' resting place of ghosts, the land of the dead in a great Underworld from which the traces of lost souls and past epidemics can be discovered. Even more distant in this autochtonous depths, perhaps the record of past cataclysms can be found. Maybe the knowledge of what the sweet relief of death may bring, as the great dooming change that will ravage the world at the Deluge.

This that spend any time past the dark crevices and hell tunnels on the planet, down into that dead domain, find the Underworld to be fragmented by rivers. Rivers not always of water, rivers that include bone dust or congealed blood or lifeless seeds amongst other variations on death and decay. Each soon reaching an ocean of fragments, the edge of the dead realms where nothing that has passed beyond comes back. Sirens adapt to any body of water and the dead rivers of the Underworld are no exception, as Sirens study these rivers and the dead denizens that line their banks.

Populace: it goes without saying that Polaria boasts quite the representation of members, Death being their favored Opus after all. Discordia and Freshwater follow next, with fewer numbers of the rest. As for Currents: Acheron, Cocytus, Lethe, Phlegethon, Styx. Did you know that these are also iconic rivers amongst the multitude that crisscross the Underworld? It is quite odd to consider that this Chorus is perhaps the one mutually trusting sorority of the Abyssal Currents, Only Oceanus lacks a signature river, although the agents of Echidna may lay claim to the boundless dead sea beyond. However the reasons for seeking out the realm of the dead are varied, as this very Chorus can be prompt with numerous strifes. Amongst the Celestial Currents you may find Conflict and Wisdom, perhaps Buoyancy, more readily than any others.

Passive Aria
          The Siren becomes attuned to the state of the dead. She adds her Lucidity to any roll to notice, identify or decipher a ghost or other deathly phenomena, which she can see out of Twilight if successful.

Active Aria
          Once she knows of a passageway to the Underworld (called an Avernian Gate) she may cross over to it from up to Akashic Record miles away using the same process used for entering the Celestial Ocean. From there she must survive the depths and may seek out the dead souls of others. The Siren may treat a Ghost as a Breathless for the purposes of drawing Pneuma, instead targeting the living that remember that Ghost.

Invested Aria
          The Siren attunes herself to one of the rivers in the Underworld, learning all of its properties. When entering the Underworld she may travel anywhere along her patron river in an instant, both for navigating the infernal depths and to use the Underworld as a conduit between areas that resonate with the river's themes of death. Additionally, the Siren selects one skill as receiving the benefits of her patron river. That skill has the rote quality. However, the Siren effectively stains herself as a member of the dead rather than the living. She takes an extra point of damage from Ghosts or necrotic energies and any healing she receives, mundane or magical, heals one less point of the worst damage that what it could have.
          This idea is absolutely amazing. This chorus is absolutely amazing. I especially love how this deals with the Underworld Rivers. Although now I can only wonder what should happen if a Siren somehow ends up in the Ocean of Fragments and what it'd be like seeing the Leviathan.

The Chorus of Cosmonauts
          Riders of the Etheric Waves, Travelers of the Spacial Oceans
          Nicknames: aliens, astronauts, lunar bounders, orbiters

Survivors of the Deluge are few and far between, compared to the population of earth from pre-diluvian times. For some Sirens, with the knowledge that the death of an entire planet is coming they look to the stars. When one door closes surely another must open? Or in this instance, replace doors with planets. Those that study space theorize that further exploration and the possible colonization of other planets is possible. If little more than a distant fantasy outpacing current technology.

No time like the present...

Cosmonauts seek to guide humanity along mankind's next wayward leap. Some see the moon or Mars as likely candidates for future Civilizations, while others prefer such heavenly bodies to remain domains where Nature may change course drastically unbothered by human lives. Still others say that man will need to journey farther, the great Cataclysm could spell the end for our solar system as well as earth, with the next planet capable of sustaining life is an untold eons of lightyears away. And journeying space is a lonely trip.

Yet still other Sirens of this Chorus, more mindful of immediate needs, may deduce that it's a failure of space travel or some wayward debris that could spell doom for planet Earth. The upper limits of the atmosphere are as much a border to safeguard. Didn't an asteroid exterminate all the dinosaurs?

Populace: As the Waters are both a terrestrial and Celestial bridging of environs and cataclysms the outwards vastness of space suggests few correlations. With Vaporia and Freshwater as a possible uptick in representations any Water is otherwise valid for joining this Chorus.

Passive Aria
          When exposed to an airless, vacuum environment the Siren does not need to breath and is immune to the dangers such a void presents. She can eliminate her need to breath in any environment by drastically altering her physiology, although this requires a point of Aggravated damage that cannot be healed or degraded, or the Siren will need to breath once again.

Active Aria
          The Siren is able to control her own personal gravity. She may move up to twice her speed in any direction in reference to the gravity of another structure. Or she may dedicate herself to a plummet, a controlled orbit set by Dexterity + Science which sets her on an ever falling path until she makes another roll to slow her descent.

Invested Aria
          Paying immense stores of Pneuma the Siren furthers the relativistic speed of her orbit, allowing her to circumnavigate the globe or head out towards local bodies within a short timeframe. Many cosmonauts warn of Sirens unable to control these extremes speeds that meet fatal ends to their orbits. Additionally, the Siren prepares her body further towards the hazardous on other planets. When Invested she defines the hazard of a planet, be it one in our solar system or another. She is immune to all Environmental Tilts and sources of damage fitting the biome of the selected planet.
          Each Chorus as I read them amazed me, but this one completely blew me away. Covering dangers that could come from the very heavens and finding ways to survive past the planet Earth, I absolutely love it! Thank you for all of your hard work on these choruses, they're definitely going in.

Now I can't help but wonder if there's any metaphysics involved with the Celestial Ocean, if a Siren can still reach it on other planets or if only one exists on earth. Of course, if a Siren can reach it on another planet, then I can only imagine that it would mean the Celestial Ocean covers not only the apocalypse of the Planet Earth, but the very apocalypse of the Universe itself.

Comment

• I would love to directly contribute to the Chorus page if you'll have me! I too feel the strain with creating homebrew or systems for the Chronicles of Darkness at times. Sometimes I need to revisit old concepts much later to revise them, finding that right combination of informative yet conscience paragraphs. Several of these ideas were bouncing around my head since last year with their original scribbled notation lost so I had to revise them from memory.

Glad to see that there is interest in the Choruses. Even though it was extremely late at night when I was adding these, as there are glaring typos everywhere, so I'll have to fix them when adding to the Chorus document. And right from the get go I've always confused Alteration for Adaptation, doesn't help that I've seen some other fan made games with almost the same system of adding innate biological powers.

The more I come back to it, Sirens really have the potential to tie the warning of the Song to abstract or unexpected concepts in the terms of their Choruses. The Parading Band was drawn from my own music experience and to add to the 'musical style' variety of Chorus. The Chthonic Mourners came from reading about the rivers of the Underworld in Promethean and Geist. And the Cosmonauts from the genre of space opera in general, where space is sometimes treated as an ocean. I've got an amusing chapter section fiction about astronauts glimpsing a Siren outside the international space station which could be drafted up for the Chorus chapter as well.

---------------------

Speaking of projects, I've had a toe in several and was thinking of setting up some play testing. Ideally I would do a game of Siren: the Drowning first, as it's the most completed game for both core mechanics and lore. The recruitment period I'll announce latter, likely have it on Wednesdays. Although I want to prepare a worthwhile scenario to fill at least 4-6 weeks of sessions. Writing something so short is also an exercise in restraint for me, compared to my year plus long crossover game setting I mention from time to time. As such I wouldn't want to start the game until I have the scenario ready.

Comment

I would love to directly contribute to the Chorus page if you'll have me! I too feel the strain with creating homebrew or systems for the Chronicles of Darkness at times. Sometimes I need to revisit old concepts much later to revise them, finding that right combination of informative yet conscience paragraphs. Several of these ideas were bouncing around my head since last year with their original scribbled notation lost so I had to revise them from memory.
              Alrighties. I sent the link in a PM.

Glad to see that there is interest in the Choruses. Even though it was extremely late at night when I was adding these, as there are glaring typos everywhere, so I'll have to fix them when adding to the Chorus document. And right from the get go I've always confused Alteration for Adaptation, doesn't help that I've seen some other fan made games with almost the same system of adding innate biological powers.
              Don't worry, they can be edited later. And I know Leviathan uses the word Adaptation somewhere, which is why I wanted to point out the distinction.

The more I come back to it, Sirens really have the potential to tie the warning of the Song to abstract or unexpected concepts in the terms of their Choruses. The Parading Band was drawn from my own music experience and to add to the 'musical style' variety of Chorus. The Chthonic Mourners came from reading about the rivers of the Underworld in Promethean and Geist. And the Cosmonauts from the genre of space opera in general, where space is sometimes treated as an ocean. I've got an amusing chapter section fiction about astronauts glimpsing a Siren outside the international space station which could be drafted up for the Chorus chapter as well.
              I'm glad that's liked. And now I kinda realize that chapter fiction may be required...
              I'm totally accepting anything, can't make anything myself. OTL

Speaking of projects, I've had a toe in several and was thinking of setting up some play testing. Ideally I would do a game of Siren: the Drowning first, as it's the most completed game for both core mechanics and lore. The recruitment period I'll announce latter, likely have it on Wednesdays. Although I want to prepare a worthwhile scenario to fill at least 4-6 weeks of sessions. Writing something so short is also an exercise in restraint for me, compared to my year plus long crossover game setting I mention from time to time. As such I wouldn't want to start the game until I have the scenario ready.
              I would really love for some playtesting! If you want, you can be in complete control of this if you wish.

Comment

• I'm thinking of having a play test set around the Great Lakes and be full encompassing from its Deluge. Including threats from Echidna, a few other Abyssal Currents, some Flensers and a Quagmire or two. I still have to think of a good story hook and a way of bridging everything together.

--------

I ended up doing some work on the Choruses page last night. Surprisingly there was little to change, only the readdress of how and when a Siren receives each Aria. I'm finding that using the analogy of a subscription and dedication can be used to better define the levels of Chorus involvement. I added a few topics about mechanics and rules for designing Choruses. I'm curious if there should be a universal mechanic for a Siren to recognize another in her Chorus. Would this work via that unused mechanic for recognizing the Song in others? Or would it crowd out the purpose of the Walesong Alteration?

Current Choruses I left largely untouched, changing prerequisites where it felt appropriate. As for other untouched Choruses there's a few ideas in the form of purpose, titles and prerequisite skills. Anybody can feel free to toss out suggestions for your own or the following: support of law enforcement/military, "Einherjar of the Warpath" (Weaponry); support of education, "The Chorus of Higher Arts" (Academics); support of ecology, "New World Tribe" (Survival); and the support of Scientific advancement (Science). We also need an Invested Aria for the Chorus of Medical Practices, dealing with health, medicine and pharmaceuticals.

Comment

I'm thinking of having a play test set around the Great Lakes and be full encompassing from its Deluge. Including threats from Echidna, a few other Abyssal Currents, some Flensers and a Quagmire or two. I still have to think of a good story hook and a way of bridging everything together.
                  Nice! This sounds like it'll be cool.

I ended up doing some work on the Choruses page last night. Surprisingly there was little to change, only the readdress of how and when a Siren receives each Aria. I'm finding that using the analogy of a subscription and dedication can be used to better define the levels of Chorus involvement. I added a few topics about mechanics and rules for designing Choruses. I'm curious if there should be a universal mechanic for a Siren to recognize another in her Chorus. Would this work via that unused mechanic for recognizing the Song in others? Or would it crowd out the purpose of the Walesong Alteration?
                  I'm grateful for the clarification on subscriptions and the like. I also love the touches of explaining mechanics, adding Strain and how to design a chorus. I should somewhat note that the "Chorus of [Template]" was originally there mainly like personal notes on how to outline the chorus whenever I was making one and that I would've deleted when Choruses were finished. The Chorus ideas at the bottom were abit like this as well, but they're still kind of ideas I thought would've been interesting for Siren.

I would say for such a Mechanic, we could somewhat copy a tiny bit off of Mage 1e's Resonance stuff where another mage could tell if a spell cast or effect came from a specific mage. Except instead of growing with Gnosis, here it would grow with the level of Arias the Siren has. Having a Passive aria adds +1, Active adds +2 and Invested adds +3.

Current Choruses I left largely untouched, changing prerequisites where it felt appropriate. As for other untouched Choruses there's a few ideas in the form of purpose, titles and prerequisite skills. Anybody can feel free to toss out suggestions for your own or the following: support of law enforcement/military, "Einherjar of the Warpath" (Weaponry); support of education, "The Chorus of Higher Arts" (Academics); support of ecology, "New World Tribe" (Survival); and the support of Scientific advancement (Science). We also need an Invested Aria for the Chorus of Medical Practices, dealing with health, medicine and pharmaceuticals.
                  If it helps, I'll share the ideas I had when making those.

Law Enforcement/Military sort of came up as a mash up of ideas between certain problems with the police and military in the US and the thoughts that people have had which involved fixing them or the boundaries they've crossed. I know this is an incredibly touchy subject, but I feel that it's one that could be played on in Siren. As a somewhat disconnected thought, I imagined naming the Arias after parts of the one play "Der Ring Des Nibelungen" by Richard Wagner.

As for Education, it's more or less based on the ideas of how Education can be filtered depending on who's teaching it or when it's being taught (for example, in 1st grade we were taught that the pilgrims were friends with the native americans when in reality things were much, much worse), or even ideas of spreading education to places that lack it. I also had some ideas of playing on a certain divide the US has in comparison to other countries when it comes to College level education.

I don't exactly remember the ideas I had behind Ecology. Although a few ideas do pop up into my head for them. For starters, I can imagine some of the basis behind them would play on the obvious tidbits of "keeping the wilds alive". Another idea I have is perhaps the idea of tying off from technology and trying to get in touch with nature, or the idea that our dependence on civilization has made humanity weaker as a whole (in Darwinian Natural Selection terms) and that by returning to it in a form would make humanity stronger.

Scientific Advancement is one I can imagine that would be fun to play as, especially given how Flensers use their technology. The main ideas around this Chorus was focusing on the rate of scientific advancement, playing with ideas on whether scientific advancement studies are right or wrong, arguments over scientific ethos and the like and how much they should be practiced and the like. To be honest, this Chorus has actually given me an idea for a sibling chorus that this chorus was supposed to cover. I'll let you guys decide whether they should stay as one or if their topics should be separate.

And that idea is "The Chorus of Research and Development". This chorus idea is based on the idea of technological development, whether humanity is going too fast for it's own good or too slow, whether or not they should make certain things (like a mad scientist choosing between a death lazer or a crop growing ray for example). I don't mean to say that this should connect to Geniuses as I only gave that as an example, but to each their own.

As for the final Aria, that's sadly around where I burned out at. =n="

However, reading through the other Invested Arias, I feel I got somewhat of an idea on that actually, but it'll sound incredibly weird. What if the Siren could directly mess with a disease or affliction a person is suffering, either adding on extra effects or taking out certain effects? For example, taking out the addictiveness and head wrecking parts of meth within a person which would leave them only feeling good and alert for a long period of time? Or for a prolly better well known example, how in the Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, when you're afflicted with Corpus (you become biologically immortal (aka no aging) and with time you become monstrously strong, but your mind rots away and your body will deform), Diviath Fyr makes a potion that takes away the bad parts of the disease (aka only body deformation and mental rot is lost, but the strength boosting and unaging remain). How does something like that feel for the Medical Practices Invested Aria?

Comment

• I have a new idea for Siren, and I was hoping to hear what people thought about it. I'm also beginning to do some revisions, working on wordplay and perhaps polishing some mechanics.

So as most people know, or have played, the idea I have was inspired by Persona 5 and the idea that stealing a person's Heart could reform them or change them as a person. I realize that this idea makes me think about how I described Trinkets, how they embody a person's soul when it has been revealed to the world and how Sirens can manipulate them through that.

Given how in Persona 5, most of the Targets are actively ruining lives and affecting the Metaverse, which somewhat feels like how the Celestial Ocean can create Clues for Sirens to find out a cause for ruin in the world, all these ideas of stealing people's hearts and their actions in the real world reflecting in the Metaworld feels like it would be at home in Siren. It would also allow for more playing out on how Survivors in the Celestial Ocean form, how they could be future forms of people in the present, somewhat akin to how Palaces, their Rulers and the Guards form.

Given this, I think it would be fitting to rename Trinkets into "Treasures" and vice versa. "Treasures" will be the objects formed from a person or place's heart who are a definite cause of ruin (be it for their city, their family, their country or the world) with which a Siren can manipulate a person's soul with. "Trinkets" will be the objects formed as a result of events, always containing a Verse within that pertains to the event. Clues can lead to these encampments of Survivors, where befittingly one of their major figures will be the one mainly responsible for the damages caused, but there can be multiple people responsible and each will have their own "Treasure".

This can also lead to some writing on how Survivors can form out a society of their own, who is in charge, somewhat like post apocalyptic societies trying to remake some order of their own.

I hope this update is fine, and if anyone has thoughts or ideas, feel free to give them. :3

Comment

• Originally posted by SaulottheGentle View Post
                      I have a new idea for Siren, and I was hoping to hear what people thought about it. I'm also beginning to do some revisions, working on wordplay and perhaps polishing some mechanics.

So as most people know, or have played, the idea I have was inspired by Persona 5 and the idea that stealing a person's Heart could reform them or change them as a person. I realize that this idea makes me think about how I described Trinkets, how they embody a person's soul when it has been revealed to the world and how Sirens can manipulate them through that.

Given how in Persona 5, most of the Targets are actively ruining lives and affecting the Metaverse, which somewhat feels like how the Celestial Ocean can create Clues for Sirens to find out a cause for ruin in the world, all these ideas of stealing people's hearts and their actions in the real world reflecting in the Metaworld feels like it would be at home in Siren. It would also allow for more playing out on how Survivors in the Celestial Ocean form, how they could be future forms of people in the present, somewhat akin to how Palaces, their Rulers and the Guards form.

Given this, I think it would be fitting to rename Trinkets into "Treasures" and vice versa. "Treasures" will be the objects formed from a person or place's heart who are a definite cause of ruin (be it for their city, their family, their country or the world) with which a Siren can manipulate a person's soul with. "Trinkets" will be the objects formed as a result of events, always containing a Verse within that pertains to the event. Clues can lead to these encampments of Survivors, where befittingly one of their major figures will be the one mainly responsible for the damages caused, but there can be multiple people responsible and each will have their own "Treasure".

This can also lead to some writing on how Survivors can form out a society of their own, who is in charge, somewhat like post apocalyptic societies trying to remake some order of their own.

I hope this update is fine, and if anyone has thoughts or ideas, feel free to give them. :3
                      ​I think it's okay.

Comment

• Originally posted by SaulottheGentle View Post
                        I have a new idea for Siren, and I was hoping to hear what people thought about it. I'm also beginning to do some revisions, working on wordplay and perhaps polishing some mechanics.

​Hey, that's actually a great idea! can you explain the mechanics behind the Now-called "Treasures"?

Comment

• I have to say, getting replies so fast after not working on this or posting here in months is a pleasant surprise! XD Thank you Killerclown and Yads Dom.

So far, what I have on the "Treasures" will remain the same. A Siren may kiss a Treasure to drain Pneuma from the person the Treasure belongs to (since it's a direct connection to their Soul), and they may still use Verses upon the Treasure to affect the Target no matter how far away they are. However, when a Siren has a Treasure, they may use their Trace upon it to reshape the person's soul. In this case, the investments within Traces change definition a little bit and the Siren is limited to Time, Range and Clarity. Time of the Trace covers how long the person's soul will be reshaped. Range of the Trace covers how much the Siren can change the person's soul. Clarity of the Trace allows the Siren to look into the person's memories, experiences, personality and skills. I will go into detail for each one of them, and to note the person doesn't get any roll to resist the changes.

The Time of the Trace is more or less like the duration the person's soul remains changed with the Treasure. Given how Trace functions, it is possible for a Siren to work up the successes required to make it last for a very long time. To counteract this, while the person's soul remains changed, anyone who can gain access to the Treasure or is able to use magic that touches souls could use their powers to dispel the changes to the Soul. However, so long as the Siren has the Treasure she could easily re-enact the changes she made.

The Range of the Trace covers how much she can change the soul. The more successes she puts into this, the more she can change. What the Siren can change (which is defined as adding, removing or editing) about a person's Soul is limited to the person's Virtue, Vice, Integrity/Equivalent, Aspirations, Internal Conditions (which for the lack of better words I'll refer to as their nWoD 1e version "Derangements") and Memories. The Siren can only change Virtues and Vices, and she may only add or remove Integrity/Equivalent (to which she needs to add in new possible Breaking points if she adds Integrity). Sirens can change, add or remove Aspirations,Derangements and Memories. It requires at least one success to change something that is already there, but it requires two successes to add or remove something. The Siren's total successes in Range are also added as a penalty towards any attempt to dispel or disrupt this change in the person's soul, but if the person trying to dispel the change is using the Treasure, then this penalty is waived.

The Clarity of the Trace allows the Siren to read the Treasure's owner like an open book, or more appropriately abit like looking at their character sheet. The Siren may use Clarity to view the person's Attributes, Skills, Specialties, Virtue/Vice, Integrity, Merits, Conditions, Aspirations, Memories and any powers they may have. To be more precise, for each success a Siren invests in Clarity,she may choose one thing within any of the categories above to read, and each success put into Clarity reveals their level of prowess/mastery in that area. Let's say for example a Siren puts 5 successes into Clarity with a Treasure, and out of that she wishes to see John McAnonymous's Resolve Attribute, Academics Skill, Integrity, Resources Merit and Depression Condition. She would find that he has X dots in Resolve, Y Dots in Academics, Z dots in Integrity (but not possible breaking points, she needs one success to read each breaking point to the max of the person's Integrity), that he's as broke as a pack mule and the exact conditions of his Depression.

Come to think of it, this idea for Treasures also gives something for the Sirens of Phlegethon to play with other than just standard Relationship abuse. Definitely something they would make use of.

And as an added idea, Supernaturals don't create Treasures as their grasp on the ultimate fate of the world is less pronounced as that of humans. However, there are cases where an object that connects to the Soul of a supernatural can count as a Treasure. Say for example: a Mage's Soul stone, a Princess's Phyllactery, a Momento of a Geist and Sin Eater, etc etc. :3
                          Last edited by SaulottheGentle; 06-04-2017, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• I like it. Now, I have a few questions: the Treasures are Always static on the Deluge? Like, they are Always there or there is a need to maintain the timeline so it exists?

​How easy is to Find/Bend a Treasure? Is it destructible?

Comment

• Originally posted by Yads Dom View Post
                              I like it. Now, I have a few questions: the Treasures are Always static on the Deluge? Like, they are Always there or there is a need to maintain the timeline so it exists?

​How easy is to Find/Bend a Treasure? Is it destructible?
                              As I have them down now, my ideas on them are as follows:
                              1: Treasures depend on the person they're connected to/the Survivor that reflects that person to exist. It'll exist so long as the person causing trouble (for now I'll call them "Despots") is alive. If the Despot dies, then the Treasure will become a simple mundane object devoid of any supernatural quality.
                              2: It is possible to manipulate someone into becoming a Despot. Kinda like Palace Rulers on the Metaverse, Despots are generally unaware of their level of influence on the Celestial Ocean or the factor that their past/future selves exist.

Just to note, they aren't influencing anything in the Celestial Ocean. I would argue it's more that the Celestial Ocean is marking them as a possible threat to the future of the earth than anything on the Despot's part. They're basically the same as any human/survivor in their respective world.

3: Finding a Treasure is reasonably easy given that Trace is good for finding Ruins (which I will call areas a Despot controls, essentially the Celestial Ocean pointing out one center that could cause ruin for the area and the earth) and there's always a Treasure within a Ruin. Bending it is also easy since the person has no roll to resist. There is one exception to each of these however:

The Exceptions
                              The exception to Finding a Treasure is that getting it should be reasonably hard. A Ruin (just to wit it's a double entendere. It's both a structure within the celestial oceans which is guaranteed to be ruined architecture and it's a source of decay for the world which if left undisturbed can leave permanent damages) is bound to be heavily inhabited by Survivors, both of the future selves of those wrapped up in the cause of the Ruin and the Despot who is the survivor/future self of the one who is perpetuating the Ruin.

The exception to Bending a Treasure is the special clause of Supernaturals. As I noted, there are cases where an object of a Supernatural's that links directly to their soul can be considered as a Treasure. However unlike mortals, a Supernatural's soul will be stronger. For now, I'll note that the roll is a contested roll of the Siren's Akashic Record + Presence vs the Supernatural Advantage + Composure of the Supernatural.

4: Treasures I would say are indestructible unless attacked by magic or something that has the force that can destroy souls. Death magic, eating their soul or the like would make the treasure discorporate/break apart.

Comment

Working...
                              X