Table Size for NWod 2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Size for NWod 2?

Due to forces beyond my control I'm currently running with 6 players rather than my preferred 4. I'm thinking about running a WoD 2 game (Forsaken), but 6 seems like too many players, given that there is more RP and investigation in this kind of game than in a D&D-type game (where you don't care if you have 9 people at the table since most of the time they're just stabbing stuff, not that there's anything wrong with that!).

I ran with success a Mage chronicle of 6 player by the 2 years now. It is a bit "crowdy" but with individual Aspiration it is manageable. I have some advice for larger plays like those:

1. Make PCs center - the bigger "main group" focus, the better. I made 3 of 6 players "chosen ones" ( Hieromagus ) in game.
    2. Use Aspirations - let players to choose one their own "personal", one connected to chronicle storyline ( but still for the PC ), and one left free to declare in each game session. They will be pleased with this. Add Totem Aspiration to all, as it is Forsaken game.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

Clearly you're going to have to kick two people out.

Comment

Werewolf is kinda built to work best with five players (Because auspices). Six probably wouldn't strain the system too much, but if you don't feel like you could juggle that many characters then don't push yourself. Stressed GMs are no fun for anybody.

Comment

Werewolf is brutal game also - you must take in the account some characters can become really badly injured on the Hunt and be unable to participate.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
            Werewolf is brutal game also - you must take in the account some characters can become really badly injured on the Hunt and be unable to participate.
            That still doesn't solve the problem of too many players... or at least it shouldn't. If a character is not able to participate for multiple sessions because of severe aggravated wounds, that isn't fun for the player. So I would try to give them an NPC to play so that they can still perform ingame interactions.

Originally posted by Archivist View Post
            Due to forces beyond my control I'm currently running with 6 players rather than my preferred 4. I'm thinking about running a WoD 2 game (Forsaken), but 6 seems like too many players, given that there is more RP and investigation in this kind of game than in a D&D-type game (where you don't care if you have 9 people at the table since most of the time they're just stabbing stuff, not that there's anything wrong with that!).
            Normally I'd recommend kicking at least one player out, but I understand that can be hard, especially when they are possibly your friends. In my experience, how many people one can handle also depends on how assertive the players play. If you have multiple quiet players who love to support the rest from the background and only intervene when it is their chance to shine, a larger group is possible.

You could also discuss the problem with your players, and explain why you would prefer a smaller group. Maybe you and your groups can find ways to work around the problems without you having to stress out. For example, if your players accept that you will not be able to give them as much personal attention as you normally would, you won't have to be sorry when a player does not get the spotlight for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Penta View Post

That still doesn't solve the problem of too many players... or at least it shouldn't. If a character is not able to participate for multiple sessions because of severe aggravated wounds, that isn't fun for the player.
              I do not say about couple sessions - rather one, two scenes. And Werewolf support NPC play by the Pack and Wolf-Blooded characters.

Still, I also has lesser game problems as we often play in smaller group - We made official schedule rule that we will play without one player. Often it means that we play in 5 characters of out 6 PCs team.

Comment

I think four really is the magic number with WoD. It's a reasonable group size to schedule, and when you split the characters up, it's easier not to have someone left alone (and bored). Also, someone told me once that the ideal rule of thumb for game length is an hour per player, plus one, though I've never quite been able to make that work.

Five players is doable, but it stretches things.

I ran a six player game a few years ago, and it was fun, but every session I felt like a player got left out. It was also very difficult to keep each character's backstory and plot line in mind. Basically, running a more focused, procedural type story (which is really WoD's bread and butter) became oppressively hard. Also, scheduling really was a nightmare.

That's my experience, though, and it may say more about my organizational skills than anything...

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

Comment

From the newest Chronicles of Darkness Corebook:

Individual gaming sessions, generally running two to four hours, are like weekly episodes. Secrets will be revealed, relationships will be tested, and blood will be spilled.Around two to five players take on one cast member each. You’ll make decisions for your character.
                  I still much more like rule of the hand as "one hour per player, plus one".

Comment

Currently I am running a 6 player Changeling game, and, while it is challenging, it works. First of all, I have made some of the individual aspirations part of the overall story, combining the backgrounds of several characters together. It means that I don't have to split time as much. Furthermore, I also discussed it with my players and they are well aware of the limitations and adapted their game play as well. They have a common goal, and they designed their characters as more willing to compromise if a choice has to be made between various plot lines. Of course, the presence of the Wyrd helps explaining some of the coincidences

Comment

I still much more like rule of the hand as "one hour per player, plus one".
                      Wow. Are most peoples sessions actually that short?

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                        New Chronicles of Darkness corebook have on start advice that game session is 2-4 hours, even if players are advised to be 2-5 group...

Which I obviously disagree and pointed as possible bug in text.

Comment

Which I obviously disagree and pointed as possible bug in text.
                          I know (though disagree that it's a bug, I think the dev's just disagree with you), I simply find that rule of hand of your's rather short.

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post

As both a ST and a player, yeah. 4-5 hours was more than enough and we were all generally exhausted by the end of it.

Comment

This is an old thread, But I want to bring it up again. I've been playing CoD with 5 for a while and I just got a 6th player. Any tips or the like? What are your guys table caps and experiences with large groups for CoD? How many players is CoD supposed to be played with ?

Comment

Working...
                              X