No announcement yet.

The Horror Show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Reighnhell ! Guess what time it is? That is right, it's Slasher O' Clock! I deliberately avoided giving this one a ton of nuance because I think that approach doesn't really fit his Undertaking. What do you think?

The Road Titan

There is no grandiose motivation or twisted philosophy behind the murders of the creature once known simply as Robbie. He grew up without family or friends, his closest thing to a home being a junkyard. From a young age he learned to make a living as a repairman, but he could never become anything more because he just barely kept his homicidal impulses in check. When the junkyard stopped bringing in customers and they tried taking it away from him, he snapped and started killing intruders. Try as he might to find any solutions besides murder, his hatred only got worse with time. His transformation into a Scourge occurred on the night when an orphan much like him tried to steal his monster truck on a dare. Instead of feeling a connection with this child and offering mercy, Robbie ran him down with the truck. Ever since then, he hasn't uttered nor understood a single word.

Undertaking: Mask
    Virtue: Clever
    Vice: Competitive
    Aspiration: Collect parts of bodies and vehicles

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 4, Resolve 5
    Physical Attributes: Strength 6, Dexterity 4, Stamina 5
    Social Attributes: Presence 5, Manipulation 1, Composure 5

Skills: Crafts (Repairs) 3, Investigation 2, Athletics 3, Brawl (Brute Force) 4, Drive (Monster Truck) 5, Stealth 2, Weaponry 3, Intimidation (Appearing Out Of Nowhere) 5, Streetwise (Secret Routes) 4, Subterfuge (Play Dead) 3

Merits: Investigative Aide 1 (Streetwise), Seizing The Edge 2, Crack Driver 3, Stunt Driver 4, Iron Will 2, Safe Place 1 (Junkyard), Brute Force 5

Potency: 4
    Willpower: 14
    Size: 5
    Initiative: 9
    Defense: 7
    Speed: 15
    Health: 10
    Weapons/Attacks
    Unarmed [+0L Melee, 11 Dice]
    Vehicular Manslaughter [Good Luck]
    Talent: Killing Machine
    Frailty: No Mind But For Murder
    Dread Powers: Jump Scare, Maze, Regenerate 1, Unbreakable

Killing Machine: The Mask is a nigh-unstoppable engine of violence and destruction. He has the Unbreakable Dread Power. However, this only applies to damage from direct attacks. Indirect methods, such as traps and environmental hazards, will bypass this Talent.

No Mind But For Murder: The Mask is absolutely single-minded in the pursuit of his victims and cannot be reasoned with, as all language is just background noise to him. The Mask cannot use Social Maneuvering unrelated to non-verbal Intimidation, nor can he be affected by such. Supernatural means of coercion that rely on language also fail outright. Furthermore, all Perception rolls to notice any peripheral threats suffer a -3 penalty, with Failures being downgraded to Dramatic Failures.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 05-08-2019, 06:57 PM.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

• Re: Road Titan

Is it Slasher O'Clock already?

I like this one. In an age of villains and monsters with sympathetic back stories and complicated motives, there is something refreshing about a pure, uncomplicated fiend. But it does feel like he is missing something...

Iron Dog ●●●
      “Iron Dog” is a monster truck born in a junkyard and cobbled together from the rusted hulks of dozens of other vehicles. The cab and bed sit high upon rugged, oversize tires and an imposing cow catcher covers the grill like a maniacs mask. Its rack of gleaming headlights emit a blinding glare and it is reinforced with a roll cage and armored plates, allowing it to survive an unreal amount of punishment. Its exhaust pipes spew black smoke and its engine roars with demonic fury. The overall nightmarish appearance of the vehicle grants its equipment bonus to rolls involving frightening or intimidating its drivers victims.

Dice Modifier: -2 Size: 16 Durability: 5 Speed: 80 Equipment Bonus: +2, Tags: High Acceleration Availability: 3

Powers
      To use the following abilities, the possessor must spend 3 points of Willpower to gain the Bonded Relic condition.
      Blood Beneath the Wheels: The vehicle is restored by bloodshed and slaughter. Whenever the vehicle deals collision damage to a living target, its driver may spend a point of Willpower. Doing so restores a point of structure to Iron Dog for every two points of lethal damage inflicted.
      Reinforced: Modifications to Iron Dog’s frame make it resistant to damage taken during a collision. This grants Iron dog’s equipment bonus to Drive rolls made to avoid taking Structure damage from a collision.

Drawback
      Car Crazy: Drivers bonded to Iron Dog become obsessive about the trucks maintenance, gaining the Deprived Condition if they do not spend at least an hour each day repairing or tinkering with the vehicle.
      Road Rage: Driver’s bonded to Iron Dog only have the flimsiest grip upon reason and self control. If the driver fails a Composure roll while behind the wheel of Iron Dog, they gain the Insane Tilt until the end of the Scene.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
      The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
      Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
      Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

• Originally posted by Reighnhell View Post
        Re: Road Titan

Is it Slasher O'Clock already?

I like this one. In an age of villains and monsters with sympathetic back stories and complicated motives, there is something refreshing about a pure, uncomplicated fiend. But it does feel like he is missing something...

Iron Dog ●●●
        “Iron Dog” is a monster truck born in a junkyard and cobbled together from the rusted hulks of dozens of other vehicles. The cab and bed sit high upon rugged, oversize tires and an imposing cow catcher covers the grill like a maniacs mask. Its rack of gleaming headlights emit a blinding glare and it is reinforced with a roll cage and armored plates, allowing it to survive an unreal amount of punishment. Its exhaust pipes spew black smoke and its engine roars with demonic fury. The overall nightmarish appearance of the vehicle grants its equipment bonus to rolls involving frightening or intimidating its drivers victims.

Dice Modifier: -2 Size: 16 Durability: 5 Speed: 80 Equipment Bonus: +2, Tags: High Acceleration Availability: 3

Powers
        To use the following abilities, the possessor must spend 3 points of Willpower to gain the Bonded Relic condition.
        Blood Beneath the Wheels: The vehicle is restored by bloodshed and slaughter. Whenever the vehicle deals collision damage to a living target, its driver may spend a point of Willpower. Doing so restores a point of structure to Iron Dog for every two points of lethal damage inflicted.
        Reinforced: Modifications to Iron Dog’s frame make it resistant to damage taken during a collision. This grants Iron dog’s equipment bonus to Drive rolls made to avoid taking Structure damage from a collision.

Drawback
        Car Crazy: Drivers bonded to Iron Dog become obsessive about the trucks maintenance, gaining the Deprived Condition if they do not spend at least an hour each day repairing or tinkering with the vehicle.
        Road Rage: Driver’s bonded to Iron Dog only have the flimsiest grip upon reason and self control. If the driver fails a Composure roll while behind the wheel of Iron Dog, they gain the Insane Tilt until the end of the Scene.
        I like it but it's more a Relic then an antagonist. If it was the way it was due to an intelligent spirit or otherwise had some will of it's own it would fit the thread better.

Edit: Ah it's for the guy above. Okay. Never mind.
        Last edited by Margul; 05-15-2019, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• Reighnhell I felt like doing a Dark Souls-esque Horror (or Enigma, rather), and took inspiration from some of your own Horrors (e.g. Cain, Glorious Knight From Nowhere and Clockwork). But I am having difficulty writing a satisfying flavor text. Maybe you could help me out with that?

Tormented Ash Knight, Reinhold Stein

Quote: "I don't want to do this. But I made an oath to honor the ashes that cover my armor. I am very sorry."

Virtue: Honorable
          Vice: World-Weary
          Aspiration: Acquire Enough Souls To Finally Rest And Meet His Ancestors

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 2, Wits 4, Resolve 6
          Physical Attributes: Strength 7, Dexterity 5, Stamina 7
          Social Attributes: Presence 6, Manipulation 2, Composure 6

Skills: Academics (Tactics And Strategy) 2, Investigation 3, Occult (Ghosts) 5, Athletics 3, Stealth (Darkness) 2, Survival (Underworld) 4, Weaponry (Great Sword) 5, Intimidation 4, Subterfuge (Multiple Choice Past) 3

Merits: Common Sense 3, Investigative Aide 1 (Occult), Greyhound 1, Quick Draw 1 (Great Sword), Iron Will 2, Untouchable 1, Defensive Combat 1 (Weaponry), Heavy Weapons 4

Potency: 6
          Willpower: 18
          Initiative: 11
          Defense: 9
          Speed: 17
          Health: 12
          Weapons/Attacks
          Unarmed [+0L Melee; 6 dice]
          Great Sword [+4L Melee; 13 dice, Supernatural Damage]
          Blast (Flaying Ashes) [+0L to +3L Ranged, 60 meters, Presence + Occult]

Dread Powers: Gatecrash (Underworld), Immortal, Madness And Terror, Numen (Blast), Soul Thief

Notes: To use Soul Thief, someone must willingly ask that Reinhold offer one safe journey in and out of the Underworld. Upon the completion of said journey, he may claim the requester's soul.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

• Put this in a supplement so I can buy it

Comment

• Re: The Tormented Ash Knight

The first thing I do when I come up with my flavor text is to create a history or background for the character, even if the actual writing only alludes to portions of this backstory. With the details you have in his stats, I see a questing Knight that served under Charlemagne in the late 700's. Under orders of the Church, he and his band of warriors rode into a village rumored to be rife with heresy and degeneracy. What they found was horror. A Chthonic thing trapped on the wrong side of the shroud, tainting the laws of Life and Death wherever treads. Nothing can heal. Nothing can die. Not men, not animals, not even the insects or plants, no matter how gravely ill or severely wounded. Only a great sacrifice was able to destroy the monster, and only putting the entire township to the torch was able to cleanse the blight. Sir Stein emerged from the wreckage; cursed,haunted, his armor and flesh coated in the ashes of his comrades and the denizens of the village.

Re:Supplement

One of these days I want to collect my various homebrew projects into something I can put of Storytellers vault. But that involves buying pricey publishing programs and teaching myself how to use them! If I ever put something competent together I will let you good folks know.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
              The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
              Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
              Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

• I've been following this thread for a while, always getting some nice ideas for horrors and story hooks.

In my chronicle (which is set on Philadelphia) I made a Slasher using Reighnhell suggested changes.

Here it is:

The Tooth Fairy
                Tyson Riley, a prolific dentist, was always known for his quiet and recluse nature during his college years. Few people knew that he had a abusive father who used to beat his mother daily for stupid reasons. Tyson grew seeing violence and conflict hid from under his mother’s bed, and at some occasions he saw a bloody tooth fall out from her mouth. With a strange fascination, he started to collect teeth, becoming obsessed with it and deciding to become a dentist. He eventually started to work at Mount Sinai Hospital at Philadelphia, handing almost his entire salary to his father. When the hospital closed at 1998, he went unemployed and stop contributing at home, which triggered a fight between his parents and a violent beating. Tyson’s mother was admitted to the ICU in serious condition and his father fled. After seeing his mother bedridden, severely injured and in a coma, Tyson hunted his father and confronted him, killing him in the fight. Infuriated, he removed his father’s teeth, making a well-crafted denture. When his mother woke up, he presented her with the denture and told what he had done with his father, smiling before the justice he had delivered. However, his mother had a mental breakdown and a heart attack, dying at the hospital before she could tell someone about Tyson’s confession. Blamed for his mother’s death, Tyson was acquitted by the court. His dad was reported missing and the body never found, but his family, still believing that Tyson had something to do with this, persecuted and punished him violently, leaving him for die wounded and with several teeth missing. He then started to talk and see his late mother. He was saved by a beggar, who was not intimidated by his disfigured face. Without parents or a home, Tyson starved and faced a new life on the fringes of society, going mad over the time and realizing that he needed to help his mother to have a beautiful smile again. He then invaded the abandoned Mount Sinai Hospital building and made a new home there, finding dentist’s tools and bringing his victims there for a long dental surgery,
                Tyson is a tall man with a crooked spine, and moves with agile and precise movements. His hands still keep the skills learned at college, although his broken bones never healed properly, resulting in some deformities. His face is a grotesque mask of scars, with a milky white eye and bloody dry lips. When open, his mouth reveals three yellow decayed teeth. He usually makes improvised dentures from his victim’s teeth or tries to implant them into his own mouth with anesthetics and screws. His chambers at abandoned Mount Sinai Hospital’s building is full of sharp traps. His recent murders were reported by the papers as the “Tooth Fairy Killings” due to the absence of teeth of victims and signals of torture.

Undertaking: Freak; Virtue: Just; Vice: Merciless
                Aspiration: Craft the perfect denture for mama
                Conditions: Madness [Persistent]
                Mental Attributes: Intelligence 2, Wits 3, Resolve 2
                Physical Attributes: Strength 3, Dexterity 4, Stamina 2
                Social Attributes: Presence 3, Manipulation 2, Composure 1
                Skills: Athletics 2, Brawl 3, Crafts 4 (Improvised Traps), Intimidation 4 (Scare), Medicine 4 (Dentistry), Survival 3, Stealth 3 (Mislead), Streetwise 3 (Homeless), Weaponry 3 (Scalpels)
                Merits: Anonymity 2, Danger Sense (”Mother” Warnings), Direction Sense, Safe Place 2 (Mount Sinai Hospital abandoned building), Striking Looks 2 (Repulsive), Weaponry Monomaniac 2 (Scalpel),
                Potency: 2
                Willpower: 3
                Initiative: 7
                Armor: 0
                Defense: 5
                Speed: 12
                Health: 7
                Weapons/Attacks
                Unarmed [+0B melee, 6 dice]
                Scalpel [+0L melee;-1 Initiative; 8 dice; 8-again]
                Talent: Lay of the Land; Frailty: Deformity (disfigured body and face)
                Dread Powers: Home Grounds (Surgery Room), Surprise Entrance
                Ban: The Tooth Fairy can only use Dread Powers within Mount Sinai Hospital abandoned building

Lay of the Land: When Freaks find a place to call home, they learn it quickly and completely. Freaks all receive the Direction Sense Merit at no cost, and rolls made to orient, retrace steps, track others or hide in areas in which the Freak has spent at least a month receive a +3 modifier. Also, a Freak involved in a foot chase in his own turf takes no penalty for terrain, no matter how uneven or slick.

Deformity: All Freaks are hideous to the eye. No matter what the source of their ugliness, birth or accident, normal people cannot help but stare at them. Many mock them, or shun them thinking that their disgusting visage is contagious (and maybe it is). Apply a –2 penalty on all Social rolls if the other parties involved can clearly perceive the Freak’s Deformity, and treat any Presence and Manipulation failures as dramatic failures. This penalty does not apply to Intimidation attempts, of course.

His Home Ground Dread Power refers to he abandoned surgery room he uses at the abandoned hospital, while the Surprise Entrance is related to his knowledge about the rooms, corridors and passages at the hospital. On the other hand, Danger Sense can be used for roleplay as his schizophrenia rationalized as warnings and advices from his mother. The Madness Condition is there to impose some drawbacks during the roleplay in moments when he talks to his mother or is dominated by the fear of having his work interrupted or destroyed.

As a brazilian, english is not my mother language, so forgive any grammar errors.
                What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!
                Last edited by nathanritzel; 08-12-2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Okay, here's a blast from the past, conversion one of the first indie title that really inspired me beyond Dungeons and Dragons. Pure fluff right now, as I have other things to work on, but:

Taenia Spiritus:

Somewhere between aliens, nightmares, and ravenous ants, the Taenia Spiritus are a mysterious species of goetic parasites that have been waging a secret, and largely incidental, war against humanity's emotional stability since probably the dawn of sentience. In fact, at this point, the oneriomancers aware of them honestly don't feel comfortable calling them aliens any more; like viruses, being harassed by hungry Taenia may have actually assisted humanity's evolution by provoking the development of strategies to deal with the mental stress they cause. Also like viruses, that doesn't mean they're any more likable. They can't help it; in biological terms, the nutrient they evolved to feed on is negative emotion, in particular frustration, regret, and despair. What makes them obscure, however, is the environment in which they feed - recurring dreams.

At their core, Taenia are best described as eusocial ephemeral entities that manifest as colonies of enormous insects made of shadows in their true form within the dreams of those they infest. Taenia only assume this form if something very wrong has occurred and the colony's queen is in full panic mode, dispensing with subtlety to eliminate a mortal threat. Most of the time, they appear in the form of alien elements to a dream that causes the host distress, all as part of their stressful lifecycle. How they get there in the first place is obscure - the dominant theory is that larval queens normally exist within a parallel universe or deep within the Astral, scanning for humans or other forms of sentient life (they aren't picky) that have recently experienced an event that shakes their sense of self (in game terms are suffering from an Integrity Condition or equivalent, whether they passed the breaking point or not). It is known that a potential host who encounters an active host ends up with their own colony about 85% of the time, though patient zeroes where the queen seems to have come from nowhere apparent are possible, especially in potential hosts who already suffer conditions like clinical depression or PTSD. The Taeniid cease to be especially enigmatic once a colony is established, however; the presence of the queen and her offspring focus the triggering event into a dream that, while it may have variation, ultimately revolves around whatever event left the host vulnerable to infestation, and turns the host's REM sleep into a feedback loop where it becomes impossible for them to internally resolve their trauma. This usually does not work, at least not for long; the Taenia have been around for a while, and the modern human psyche subconsciously recognizes an infection, eidolons developing to evict the colony and even reshaping the dream to make the symbolic defeat of the trauma literal death or exile of a hostile enemy figure - which the unwilling queen is drawn on to play. Often, the dreamer doesn't even notice there was a recurring dream. Like any infection, though, the immune system can be compromised, usually because the triggering event was that traumatic or because of other stressors that occupy the mental landscape, allowing the Taenia to continue the dream according to their script and reaping a fine harvest - all while the dreamer, unable to move on, slips further and further into a very bad mental place, unaware of the infestation chewing at his mental supports. External therapy helps, but sometimes, the infestation grows too entrenched, too overwhelming to make any progress - and sometimes, the host can't actually pay or look for any help in the waking world, forcing more supernatural help to confront the depression bugs directly.

During the day, they are dormant, quietly tending to their eggs in the deep subconscious of the host where fears dwell, but the moment the host sleeps, the Taenia spring into action; the queen quickly sculpts a hive based on dream symbolism the dreamer associates with "anxiety." This can be something like "heights", creating a ludicrously tall skyscraper with many holes in its floors and strong wings, the egg chamber at the top. Sometimes the Taenia pull in something ridiculous, like a rock musician feeling threatened by gangster rap as a genre, resulting in a large recording studio covered in bling, the star's studio being the lair of the queen and her eggs resting within golden records. The hive creates host bodies to match, the acrophobe finding her dreaming self harassed by cloudy air elementals that regularly toss her in the air, the hip-hop-adverse musician finds his studio is taunted by flashy men with boomboxes that drop disorienting beats. Either way, the goal is the same; an infested dream invariably has a denouement, a moment where the dreamer confronts the triggering event and overcomes it in some way, and the Taenia wish to delay that as long as possible, or even derail it and leave the dreamer swimming in delicious failure. How they do so depends on what stage of lifecycle the Taenia are in:

Larvae: While most Taenia hatch as drones while the host is awake, the queen invariably wills at least some of her brood to burst forth prematurely during the dream as skittering grubs; they can't survive long in this state, dissolving into dream-stuff as soon as the dream ends, but that's not their purpose; rather, the semi-formed nature of a Taenia larva gives them the capacity to fuse with eidolons, creating new entities whose entire purpose is to be the velvet glove of the colony's lifecycle. The Taeniid eidolons develop traits that suggest the overall theme of the hive (the agoraphobic eidolons become freakishly tall and grow feathers, the rapping hive has its eidolons develop gold teeth and bandannas), and like cells hijacked by viruses, start manipulating the environment to make the denouement as difficult as possible; if the dreamer wants to prevent a house from flooding, the larvae steal his sandbags and open up windows to the rain, if he wants to rob a bank they close holes in security and take over police officers to behave - well, competently, instead of what the host wants. Ironically, they're something of a weak link in the Taenia lifecycle; the blending actually creates a short-lived independent ego from either the host or the colony's hive instincts, something they are fully aware of and want to continue; the goal of a Taeniid eidolon is to delay, as while a successful denouement or the dream ending means their Essence will be reabsorbed to preserve the colony and their death, the dreamer actually giving up provokes the queen to shove the bounty of Essence into the larvae, which either kills them or provokes molting into the largely individuality-free drones depending on how healthy they were. Tricking the larvae into opening up ways for completing the denouement is a valid and encouraged method of attacking a Taenia hive directly, but if they figure it out they'll try to render the goal impossible; all things considered the larva would rather be drones than dead, and an outright failure event regularly results in the colony doubling in size overnight. Ultimately, the larvae are still eusocial beings, and the survival of the hive is more important than their own luxury of selfhood.

Drones: These are actually the workers in a Taeniid colony, not the fertile males; "drone" is a reference to their robotic "personalities", functionally being little more than extensions of the colony's overall goal. Whatever communication they are capable of is more like an extremely intelligent parrot manipulating the existing symbols of their current form rather than actual communicative cognizance. They are not stupid, however; like actual insects, drones actually have their own minds, and while the queen can telepathically give them orders, the communication is strictly one-way; on their own, drones are actually quite perceptive and clever, serving as the cunning iron fist of the colony. There's far fewer of them than there is active larvae in the dream itself, most of the drones remaining behind in the subconscious to tend to the eggs and find pockets of negative emotions for the queen (hence why the larva get away with delays rather than disruption), but the ones who patrol the existing dream are perceptive and clever; they normally only show themselves when subtlety would be worth less than a reward (as direct appearances would possibly result in the dreamer becoming aware of the influence, and focusing the mind's immune system on the colony), but they are excellent guards against hostile immune eidolons and would-be oneriomantic therapists. If the queen decides that she needs the exponential growth in the wake of a failed dream, it is the drones who break the goal of the denouement.

Queen: Perhaps the only truly sentient member of the colony, the queen is both general and mother of the hive - and like most insect queens, she isn't actually that directly involved in a colony's operations, mostly focusing on laying a new batch of eggs she generates from the meal of negative emotions in her dream. Unlike most insects, the queen is generally a long-term thinker; while she will always err on the side of more members for the colony, she seems instinctively aware that too much stress too fast results in the death of the host faster; less opportunity for her to make new queens and continue the species overall. Thus, the Taeniid queen lets her larvae have their fun when confident, keeping an eye out for external threats to the colony or the mind preparing to strike at her; ironically the presence of oneriomancers risks worsening the infestation as the queen panics and rampages across the host's subconscious to generate as many drones as possible. She is also aware that her death is the end of the colony, and so she mostly remains off to the side, but should her colony find an untenable situation, the queen is also a capable dream-shaper in her own right. She doesn't like to, as it wastes Essence that could be spent on new eggs, but here is where the survival strategy of sentience shows itself; the queen is more than capable of making cost-benefit analysis, and very astute ones at that. Underestimating any Taenia is a losing proposition, but underestimating the queen is worthy of a Darwin Award.
                  Last edited by Leliel; 08-11-2019, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X