No announcement yet.

The Horror Show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Their proxies are just normal mind-controlled humans. Treat them like either separate Brief Nightmares or a cult

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Slenderman
      He's incredibly inhumanly tall and thin with a faceless, hairless, earless head. Strangely he wears a formal black suit and tie with a white shirt making its impossible dimensions all the more surreal. Easily as tall as two normal people, with disproportionately long arms and legs many mistake him as a weird man at a distance unless he's near something that gives him scale, but the sense of wrongness is always palpable. Sometimes black shadowy tendrils stretch from his finder or back and he uses them to traverse terrain like a spider. Once he enters your life you find yourself stalked and pushed past your limit.

Mental Attributes: Intelligence2, Wits 3, Resolve 3
      Physical Attributes: Strength 6, Dexterity 3, Stamina 5
      Social Attributes: Presence 4, Manipulation 1, Composure 10
      Mental Skills: Investigation 5 (Trailing), Medicine 3 (Removing Organs)
      Physical Skills: Athletics 5 (Chasing others), Brawl 3 (Breaking limbs), Stealth 5 (Blending in the background)
      Social Skills: Intimidation 5 (Lurking dread), Empathy 3 (Comforting children)
      Merits: Fame 3, Mystery Cult Initiation 5 (Slender Man Cult), Trained Observer 3, Relentless 1, Greyhound 1
      Potency: 6
      Willpower: 13
      Virtue: Patient
      Vice: Fitful
      Aspirations: Watching cult members, Abducting innocents, Entering Scenes of those with Slender Sickness
      Initiative: 13
      Defense: 8 (10 When Reality Stutter)
      Size: 7
      Speed: 19 (Species Factor 10)
      Health: 12
      Weapons/Attacks:
      Type Damage Range Dice Pool

Featureless white hands +0B Melee 10
      Evicerating Shadow Tendrils +1L Melee 10
      Bans: Never injure a child
      Banes: Have no one know about it
      Dread Powers:
      REALITY STUTTER

The creature’s presence sets reality stuttering and convulsing, allowing it to flicker from place to place. By reflexively spending 1 Willpower when it moves, the creature can translocate itself to any location it can see up to its Speed in meters away, seeming to observers to just spasm in and out of reality as it goes. Doing so adds +2 to its Defense for the turn.
      SURPRISE ENTRANCE
      No matter how secure its victims think they are, by spending 1 Willpower the creature may suddenly appear in the scene. It can manifest out of sight (either of a being or device) in any scene where someone has the Slender Sickness Condition, and then REALITY STUTTER past any barrier. Any character witnessing this entrance must succeed on a reflexive Resolve + Composure roll or gain the Shaken Condition.
      If the characters have actively taken appropriate measures to keep the Horror out (barring and locking the door, running recording equipment, etc.) it will take the creature one full turn to break through, giving the characters time to react. If not, it’s just there as a reflexive action and can take one more action before anyone can react.
      JUMP SCARE
      The creature appears suddenly or lurches into abrupt action just when you thought it was down for the count. By spending 1 Willpower, the creature may resolve the Shaken condition on another character, choosing which action will automatically fail. The character still earns a Beat as normal. Alternately, the creature may spend 1 Willpower to turn the automatic failure caused by a character resolving the Shaken Condition into a dramatic failure. In this case, the character earns two Beats (one for resolving the Condition, one for the dramatic failure).
      IMMORTAL
      The creature isn’t bound by mortal laws of life and death. It’s not indestructible, per se, but if it’s killed or incapacitated by anything other than its Bane, it just comes back in a later scene like nothing happened. Even if it’s destroyed with its Bane, in this case eradicating all knowledge of it, it’s never really gone — all it takes is someone learning of its existence to bring the creature back for a sequel story.

Please note this is an Corporeal Abyssal Intruder, which means it is a physically Untrue thing that exists, also it is the center of a Mystery Cult and a Mage Mystery. When accounting for the strange behavior of mortals reacting to Slenderman, don't forget Breaking Points for Integrity caused by exposure to the supernatural, even though it's not part of his mechanics. Integrity Breaking Points are part of Mortal mechanics when they are exposed to beings of the abyss.

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post
      ---Side Bar---
      Where's the Telepathic Powers?
      Slenderman is known for his powerful telepathic mind control. People blame Slenderman for possessing them, for mind controlling them, for forcing them to do the awful things they do in his name. The tragic truth is he has no such power other than his frightening presence and he never even makes requests. His presence is supernaturally terrifying, and having Slender Sickness disrupts normal thinking but does not rob its victims of agency. The horrible things Slenderman followers do they decide for themselves. He stalks, he lurks, he harries and terrifies but ultimately his victims do the most monstrous things all on their own.
      ----------------

SLENDER SICKNESS CONDITION
      Those with this Condition are valid targets of Slenderman's SURPRISE ENTRANCE Dread Power. Also at the beginning of each session the player of the character chooses one of the follow conditions to apply at some point during that session: Frightened, Lost, Shaken, or Spooked. The Storyteller chooses when that happens in the story with a fleeting glimpse of Slenderman. If the character doesn't have a player associated with it mechanically (meaning she isn't a PC, nor does she represent a Merit, Touchstone or similar mechanic), the Storyteller chooses the Condition.
      Cause: Those that actively investigate the truth that Slenderman exists and believe it gain this condition. It is not enough to be told, the person with this condition has researched and earnestly sought out proof of the rumors and urban legends and found it. Mechanically this can be handled with the Clue system in CodD page 81, requiring 3 Clues (or for Mages the use of Focused Mage Sight with a Mystery Opacity of 1).
      Resolution: Gain the Amnesia Condition concerning everything they know about Slenderman (if they lose that Condition they regain this one)
      Beat: Have Slenderman use SURPRISE ENTRANCE Dread Power to enter a Scene with the character. (The other Conditions gained by this Condition grant Beats normally).
      Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 06-30-2017, 05:33 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
      "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

• Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post
        Slenderman
        He's incredibly inhumanly tall and thin with a faceless, hairless, earless head. Strangely he wears a formal black suit and tie with a white shirt making its impossible dimensions all the more surreal. Easily as tall as two normal people, with disproportionately long arms and legs many mistake him as a weird man at a distance unless he's near something that gives him scale, but the sense of wrongness is always palpable. Sometimes black shadowy tendrils stretch from his finder or back and he uses them to traverse terrain like a spider. Once he enters your life you find yourself stalked and pushed past your limit.

Mental Attributes: Intelligence2, Wits 3, Resolve 3
        Physical Attributes: Strength 6, Dexterity 3, Stamina 5
        Social Attributes: Presence 4, Manipulation 1, Composure 10
        Mental Skills: Investigation 5 (Trailing), Medicine 3 (Removing Organs)
        Physical Skills: Athletics 5 (Chasing others), Brawl 3 (Breaking limbs), Stealth 5 (Blending in the background)
        Social Skills: Intimidation 5 (Lurking dread), Empathy 3 (Comforting children)
        Merits: Fame 3, Mystery Cult Initiation 5 (Slender Man Cult), Trained Observer 3, Relentless 1, Greyhound 1
        Willpower: 13
        Virtue: Patient
        Vice: Fitful
        Aspirations: Watching cult members, Abducting innocents, Entering Scenes of those with Slender Sickness
        Initiative: 13
        Defense: 8 (10 When Reality Stutter)
        Size: 7
        Speed: 19 (Species Factor 10)
        Health: 12
        Weapons/Attacks:
        Type Damage Range Dice Pool

Featureless white hands +0B Melee 10
        Evicerating Shadow Tendrils +1L Melee 10
        Bans: Never injure a child
        Banes: Have no one know about it
        Dread Powers:
        REALITY STUTTER

The creature’s presence sets reality stuttering and convulsing, allowing it to flicker from place to place. By reflexively spending 1 Willpower when it moves, the creature can translocate itself to any location it can see up to its Speed in meters away, seeming to observers to just spasm in and out of reality as it goes. Doing so adds +2 to its Defense for the turn.
        SURPRISE ENTRANCE
        No matter how secure its victims think they are, by spending 1 Willpower the creature may suddenly appear in the scene. It can manifest out of sight (either of a being or device) in any scene where someone has the Slender Sickness Condition, and then REALITY STUTTER past any barrier. Any character witnessing this entrance must succeed on a reflexive Resolve + Composure roll or gain the Shaken Condition.
        If the characters have actively taken appropriate measures to keep the Horror out (barring and locking the door, running recording equipment, etc.) it will take the creature one full turn to break through, giving the characters time to react. If not, it’s just there as a reflexive action and can take one more action before anyone can react.
        JUMP SCARE
        The creature appears suddenly or lurches into abrupt action just when you thought it was down for the count. By spending 1 Willpower, the creature may resolve the Shaken condition on another character, choosing which action will automatically fail. The character still earns a Beat as normal. Alternately, the creature may spend 1 Willpower to turn the automatic failure caused by a character resolving the Shaken Condition into a dramatic failure. In this case, the character earns two Beats (one for resolving the Condition, one for the dramatic failure).
        IMMORTAL
        The creature isn’t bound by mortal laws of life and death. It’s not indestructible, per se, but if it’s killed or incapacitated by anything other than its Bane, it just comes back in a later scene like nothing happened. Even if it’s destroyed with its Bane, in this case eradicating all knowledge of it, it’s never really gone — all it takes is someone learning of its existence to bring the creature back for a sequel story.

Please note this is an Corporeal Abyssal Intruder, which means it is a physically Untrue thing that exists, also it is the center of a Mystery Cult and a Mage Mystery. When accounting for the strange behavior of mortals reacting to Slenderman, don't forget Breaking Points for Integrity caused by exposure to the supernatural, even though it's not part of his mechanics. Integrity Breaking Points are part of Mortal mechanics when they are exposed to beings of the abyss.

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post
        ---Side Bar---
        Where's the Telepathic Powers?
        Slenderman is known for his powerful telepathic mind control. People blame Slenderman for possessing them, for mind controlling them, for forcing them to do the awful things they do in his name. The tragic truth is he has no such power other than his frightening presence and he never even makes requests. His presence is supernaturally terrifying, and having Slender Sickness disrupts normal thinking but does not rob its victims of agency. The horrible things Slenderman followers do they decide for themselves. He stalks, he lurks, he harries and terrifies but ultimately his victims do the most monstrous things all on their own.
        ----------------

SLENDER SICKNESS CONDITION
        Those with this Condition are valid targets of Slenderman's SURPRISE ENTRANCE Dread Power. Also at the beginning of each session the player of the character chooses one of the follow conditions to apply at some point during that session: Frightened, Lost, Shaken, or Spooked. The Storyteller chooses when that happens in the story with a fleeting glimpse of Slenderman. If the character doesn't have a player associated with it mechanically (meaning she isn't a PC, nor does she represent a Merit, Touchstone or similar mechanic), the Storyteller chooses the Condition.
        Cause: Those that actively investigate the truth that Slenderman exists and believe it gain this condition. It is not enough to be told, the person with this condition has researched and earnestly sought out proof of the rumors and urban legends and found it. Mechanically this can be handled with the Clue system in CodD page 81, requiring 3 Clues (or for Mages the use of Focused Mage Sight with a Mystery Opacity of 1).
        Resolution: Gain the Amnesia Condition concerning everything they know about Slenderman (if they lose that Condition they regain this one)
        Beat: Have Slenderman use SURPRISE ENTRANCE Dread Power to enter a Scene with the character. (The other Conditions gained by this Condition grant Beats normally).
        Fascinating! I especially like the Mystery Cult and the idea that he doesn't actually controls anyone's mind.

I wrote a sheet for him using the Horror rules as well recently. How do you think my version and yours measure up against each other?

EDIT: Could I reference your Mystery Cult, the Slender Man Mystery and the Slender Sickness Condition in my character sheet too?
        Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 06-30-2017, 06:01 PM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
          Fascinating! I especially like the Mystery Cult and the idea that he doesn't actually controls anyone's mind.

I wrote a sheet for him using the Horror rules as well recently. How do you think my version and yours measure up against each other?

EDIT: Could I reference your Mystery Cult and the Slender Sickness Condition in my character sheet too?
          I like it! I was being very conservative with Potency while trying to make it frightening to even hardened supernatural characters. I'd happily up the Potency by one to include the Vanish dread power but altered like this:

*Vanish: The Horror with this Dread Power can disappear in a flash, a puff of smoke, or the blink of an eye. Once per scene, by spending 1 Willpower, the creature may instantly exit the scene. The Slenderman may also bring other people with him, but must first open all the Doors of the target. Those that vanish with Slenderman cease to exist unless Slenderman brings them back.

Also I would not mind at all for the cross pollination of ideas, may I use Vanish? Would you be the correct person to attribute it to? I've used a Abyssal Numina/Aspect of yours in my a Town with Bad Time Mystery.
          Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 06-30-2017, 06:24 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes

Comment

• Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post

I like it! I was being very conservative with Potency while trying to make it frightening to even hardened supernatural characters. I'd happily up the Potency by one to include the Vanish dread power but altered like this:

*Vanish: The Horror with this Dread Power can disappear in a flash, a puff of smoke, or the blink of an eye. Once per scene, by spending 1 Willpower, the creature may instantly exit the scene. The Slenderman may also bring other people with him, but must first open all the Doors of the target. Those that vanish with Slenderman cease to exist unless Slenderman brings them back.

Also I would not mind at all for the cross pollination of ideas, may I use Vanish? Would you be the correct person to attribute it to? I've used your Abyssal Numina/Aspects in my Town with Bad Time Mystery.
            Thanks! I'm glad you liked it, and that you used those Abyssal Aspects/Numina.

The Shifting, Vanish and Elusive Dread Powers are courtesy of Reighnhell. The original version of Vanish requires the Horror to have at least one Safe Place Merit to which it escapes when using said Dread Power, but the Slender Man is an exception.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• We had a mind flayer. I know this is probably a lot less fitting, but has anyone thought of a beholder? I've always liked them more in concept, the different power with each eye thing. I've got a sort of Glaaki-thing going on that's got a few eye-like organs on stalks, one of which is about to vaporize a familiar, so the beholder's been on my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                We had a mind flayer. I know this is probably a lot less fitting, but has anyone thought of a beholder? I've always liked them more in concept, the different power with each eye thing. I've got a sort of Glaaki-thing going on that's got a few eye-like organs on stalks, one of which is about to vaporize a familiar, so the beholder's been on my mind.
                The problem I see with Beholders in CofD is the concept and mechanical history breaks individual action economy. Beholders are conceptually designed to have a large magical suppression zone and multiple attacks via eye stalks in areas not covered by that suppression zone. The variants of the standard beholder may or may not have the suppression zone but multiple 360 attacks is present in all but rare outliers.

I think the easiest way to represent this is to have Environmental Tilts

Eye of the Beholder [Environmental Tilt)
                Effect: Any Attainment, Spell Cast, Ritual Performed, Gift Use, Discipline Use, Devotion Use, Influence Use, Numina Use, Contract Use, Manifestation besides Twilight Form, Dread Power Use, Pledge/Oath Sealed, or other similar supernatural powers require a Clash of Wills against the Beholder each round to maintain while within the area affected by this Environmental Tilt and may not be initiated while within the area of by this Environmental Tilt. Those within the area of this Environmental Tilt are immune to Seen by the Stalks of a Beholder [Environmental Tilt]. For Purpose of this Clash of Wills the Beholder counts as an Archmage. This takes no actions on the Beholder's part and is instead considered an Environmental hazard caused by its presence.
                Cause: Being in the front field of vision of a Beholder's Central Eye
                End: Damage the Beholder's Central Eye, have the Beholder close its Central Eye

Seen by the stalks of a Beholder [Environmental Tilt]
                Effect: Those within the area of this Environmental Tilt gain one of the following Conditions/Tilts: Blind [Persistent], Dominated, Charmed [Persistent], Enervated [Persistent], Enslaved (to Beholder) [Persistent], Frightened, Immobilized (Paralyzed), Insensate (Sleep). Each Condition or Tilt may only be applied to one being per turn, the Beholder determines distribution of the Conditions/Tilts and if they are applied at all. Those with the ability to be unseen or are otherwise protected from being targeted by one of the Beholder's eye stalks via a power invoke Clash of Wills to avoid getting the Condition. For purposes of these Clashes of Wills the Beholder counts as a normal powered being (ie not an Archmage). This takes no actions on the Beholder's part and is instead considered an Environmental hazard caused by its presence.
                Cause: Being in the 360 degree field of vision of the Beholder not covered by the Eye of the Beholder Environmental Tilt.
                End: Each of the Beholder's eye stalk subjected to Arm Wrack Tilt or actually severed decrease the menu of Conditions/Tilts which can be applied by this Environmental Tilt until the it goes away completely when there are no eye stalks left.

As far as Potency I think 5 or 6 is plenty.
                Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 07-03-2017, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• Re: D&D Monsters

All this conversation about classic D&D creatures has put in the mood to convert a few myself

The Aboleth
                  The Aboleth’s are a race of creatures whose origins extend into the mist of pre-history. The creatures have fish-like bodies, with four lashing tentacles, three eyes, and are coated in viscous, clear mucus. They can reach up to 20 feet in length and capable of breathing air as well as water. They swim the depth of the ocean and in the recesses of deep subterranean lakes. The creatures are malevolently intelligent, and are said to have once possessed enormous kingdoms built by the slaves that they had bent to their wills. While an Aboleth is effectively ageless, the long eons have winnowed their numbers. Only few still remain, but even this small number dream of one day rebuilding the Aboleth kingdoms of old.

Virtue: Patient; Vice: Megalomaniacal
                  Aspiration: Dominate other Lifeforms
                  Mental Attributes: Intelligence 6, Wits 5, Resolve 5
                  Physical Attributes: Strength 7*, Dexterity 3, Stamina 7
                  Social Attributes: Presence 5, Manipulation 6, Composure 5
                  Skills: Academics 3(History), Athletics 3(Swim), Brawl 3(Tentacle), Empathy 4(Telepathy), Intimidate 4, Occult 5, Persuasion 5, Stealth 3, Subterfuge 5
                  Merits: Eidetic Memory, Indomitable, Iron Skin 2 (Advanced, Epic), Iron Will, Staff 3 (Enslaved Minions)
                  Willpower: 10
                  Size: 15
                  Initiative: 8
                  Armor: 2
                  Defense: 6 (7 in Water)
                  Speed: 10/25 Swim
                  Health: 22
                  Weapons/Attacks
                  Tentacle [+0L melee; Reach**, 11 dice]
                  Dread Powers: Madness & Terror, Psychic Talent 2 (Biokinesis 2, Mind Control, Phantasmagoria, Telepathy 5), Toxic (Moderate Sick ***)

Psychic Talent: Creatures with this dread power are endowed with great powers of the Mind. Each dot in this Dread Power grants a creature a number of Merit dots equal to its Potency. These Merit dots may be used to purchase supernatural merits.

*The Aboleth’s immense size grants it an additional 2 points of Strength
                  ** The Aboleth’s does not suffer penalties when using Reach in a Grapple
                  *** Targets that suffer an Aboleth’s Sick Tilt also gain the Aboleth Slime Condition. Victims of this condition gain the ability to breathe water comfortably, but suffer the Drowning Tilt when breathing air. This condition resolves itself after [6 – Stamina] hours.

The Ettercap
                  This bizarre creature is a combination of humanoid and arachnid traits. It is tall and gangly limbed, with the beady eyes and mandibles of a spider and its carapaced flesh is the color of a dark bruise. The creature hides in forgotten, abandoned places, avoiding contact with other living creatures except when it is hunting. It prefers to ambush or trap its prey, and can devise surprisingly sophisticated traps. They are capable of speech, but rarely have reason to talk.

Virtue: Treacherous; Vice: Cowardly
                  Aspiration: Hunt Prey
                  Mental Attributes: Intelligence 2, Wits 5, Resolve 3
                  Physical Attributes: Strength 6, Dexterity 5, Stamina 5
                  Social Attributes: Presence 2, Manipulation 3, Composure 3
                  Skills: Animal Ken 1(Spiders), Athletics 3(Climb), Brawl 3, Craft 2(Traps), Intimidation 3, Stealth 4(Ambush), Subterfuge 2, Survival 2
                  Merits: Area of Expertise (Traps), Danger Sense, Iron Skin 1(Advanced), Safe Place 2
                  Potency: 3
                  Willpower: 6
                  Size: 5
                  Initiative: 8
                  Armor: 1
                  Defense: 8
                  Speed: 16
                  Health: 10
                  Weapons/Attacks
                  Bite & Claw [+0L melee; 9 dice]
                  Dread Powers: Snare, Toxic (Moderate Poison), Wall Climb

The Wight
                  The Wight is a type of undead being that craves the life energy of the living, leaving a trail of corpses behind it as it stalks across the centuries. The creatures bear the appearance of corpses in varying stages of decay, and their eyes glow a dull red. Wights are animated by the power of death, and are capable of devouring life force, and even souls to satiate their unending hunger. Wights retain their intelligence and memory, but upon transformation they develop a pathological cruelty and contempt for the living. Most Wights become drifters, staying in a location for a while before moving on. Others learn to blend in, disguising their nature using means both mundane and supernatural – often becoming a part of a community of other local undead. The following is an example of a nomadic Wight, grown potent over the course of its long un-life.

Virtue: Patient; Vice: Ravenous
                  Aspiration: Sate Hunger, Remain Undetected
                  Mental Attributes: Intelligence 4, Wits 4, Resolve 4
                  Physical Attributes: Strength 7, Dexterity 4, Stamina 6
                  Social Attributes: Presence 3, Manipulation 3, Composure 4
                  Skills: Athletics 3, Brawl 4(Grapple), Intimidation 3, Melee 2, Occult 2, Stealth 4, Streetwise 2(Travel), Subterfuge 3(Disguise), Survival 2
                  Merits: Fast Reflexes 2, Indomitable, Iron Skin 2 (Advanced), Striking Looks (Frightening), Unseen Sense (Undead)
                  Potency: 4
                  Willpower: 8
                  Initiative: 10
                  Armor: 2
                  Defense: 7
                  Speed: 16
                  Health: 11
                  Weapons/Attacks
                  Unarmed [+0L melee; 11 dice]
                  Ban: A Wight does not naturally recover Damage or Willpower. These traits can only be restored by using Drain Life Dread Power.
                  Bane: Fire, Silver
                  Dread Powers: Drain Life, Immortal, Soul Thief, Toxic (Moderate Sick)

Drain Life: With a touch, the Horror can extract the life essence from a living creature. Whenever the Horror inflicts damage in a grapple, it regains 1 point of Willpower per point of damage inflicted and heals one point of Lethal or two points of Bashing Damage. Every 5 points of damage inflicted can heal a level of Aggravated Damage. If the Horror is using this ability against a supernatural creature, it loses points from its fuel trait (Essence, Mana, Vitae, etc.) instead.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
                  The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
                  Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
                  Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

• I don't know a lot about D&D lore, but these write ups sound spot on!

As a side note, Reghnhell, I am currently writing a benevolent Horror (or Enigma, as you call them) inspired by the Little Prince. I'm imagining a human-like entity who exists mostly in the Astral, but can visit the mortal realm and bring others into the Astral through Gatecrash. They'd also have the Dream Shaping Numen, Surprise Entrance and probably Vanish. Virtues are Brave and Wise and Vice is Pride. Aspirations are "Protect And Have Adventures In The Astral, Inspire Grandiose Dreams and Collect And Store Nightmares". For the record, It's not supposed to be straight up the Little Prince. The differences are intentional and meant to make this Enigma a distinct character.

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions for making them more Enigma-like?

EDIT: Would this character work better as a Changeling?
                    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 07-09-2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• A Succubus
                      The Agency is still tracking the known as Betty Ann. Classification Succubus. As far as we can tell Betty was a young who woman growing up in Idaho. She was born with a genetic mutation that left her with a Malformed skull, No pupal in her left eye and a misshapen spine. Even with this she seemed to be a sweet young woman who worked at her family's church. It's unknown how it happened but on her 21 birth her boyfriend a one Johnny Kicks took her on a road trip up to Flatwood Forest. They went missing for roughly 3 weeks. When all hope was lost they found Betty Ann was found by a local fishermen. When Betty Ann was After DNA test and lots of questions it was confirmed to be Betty Ann. The Town believed it a not only a miracle from god that she survived but she told people god blessed her and give her good look. It only took the subject 5 months to turn the town into a cult. The Agency became aware of what was going on after 4 towns fell under the sway of the God she says she is an emissary of. Agents were sent into the towns to dismantle the cults but Betty was able to get away. It's believed she is now hiding in California rebuilding her cult of personality. The subject is considered an extreme threat due to her ability to put someone in a euphoric state with just her words and enslave them by touching them. Agency Scientists believe the subject is also steals some victims souls for some unknown purpose but its believe she feeds them to her god. Video Footage of our agents encounter shows her producing a fire from her mouth when threatened.

Name: Betty Ann
                      Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 2, Resolve 3
                      Physical Attributes: Strength 4, Dexterity 3, Stamina 5
                      Social Attributes: Presence 9, Manipulation 6, Composure 3
                      Mental Skills: Academics 2, Computer 2, Medicine 1, Occult 4, Politics 2
                      Physical Skills: Athletics 4, Brawl, 3, Larceny 3, Stealth (Shadowing) 4, Survival 3, Weaponry 3
                      Social Skills: Empathy 5, Expression (Singing) 4, Intimidation 5, Persuasion (Seduction) 10, Socialize 4, Streetwise 3, Subterfuge 6
                      Merits: Area of Expertise (Seduction), Eidetic Memory, Iron Stamina 3,Intimidating Beauty (Air of Menace), Resources 4, Striking Looks 2, Untouchable, Fast-Talking 4, Empath
                      Fighting Merits:
                      Supernatural Merits: Succubus Touch (Psychic Vampirism) 5, Euphoric Touch, Psychic Seduction, Unearthly Beauty
                      Willpower: 12
                      Virtue: Creative
                      Vice: Carnal
                      Aspirations:
                      Initiative: 6
                      Defense: 6
                      Speed: 12
                      Ban: Can Only Target People Who want her
                      Bane: Symbols of faithful Relationships
                      Health: 10
                      Weapons/Attacks:
                      Melee Weapons:
                      Type
                      Dmg
                      Range
                      Dice Pool
                      Claws/Tail
                      N/A
                      Fire Breath
                      Mid
                      Dread Powers:
                      • Emotional Aura (Lust) , Know Soul, Soul Thief, Rapture, Natural Weapons, Blast (fire)
                      Description:

Bio:
                      The Agency is still tracking the known as Betty Ann. Classification Succubus. As far as we can tell Betty was a young who woman growing up in Idaho. She was born with a genetic mutation that left her with a Malformed skull, No pupal in her left eye and a misshapen spine. Even with this she seemed to be a sweet young woman who worked at her family's church. It's unknown how it happened but on her 21 birth her boyfriend a one Johnny Kicks took her on a road trip up to Flatwood Forest. They went missing for roughly 3 weeks. When all hope was lost they found Betty Ann was found by a local fishermen. When Betty Ann was After DNA test and lots of questions it was confirmed to be Betty Ann. The Town believed it a not only a miracle from god that she survived but she told people god blessed her and give her good look. It only took the subject 5 months to turn the town into a cult. The Agency became aware of what was going on after 4 towns fell under the sway of the God she says she is an emissary of. Agents were sent into the towns to dismantle the cults but Betty was able to get away. It's believed she is now hiding in California rebuilding her cult of personality. The subject is considered an extreme threat due to her ability to put someone in a euphoric state with just her words and enslave them by touching them. Agency Scientists believe the subject is also steals some victims souls for some unknown purpose but its believe she feeds them to her god. Video Footage of our agents encounter shows her producing a fire from her mouth when threatened.

Last edited by Basic; 07-12-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Double Post
                        Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 07-18-2017, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...169#post813169
                          Originally posted by Reighnhell View Post
                          Ideal Inc.
                          Ideal Inc. is a new dating service that guarantees results. All applicants are extensively screened and only a select few make it through. Once accepted, the client pays Ideal Inc. a substantial fee and signs the contract. Ideal Inc. promises that they will match the client to their ideal mate within a year and a day or they receive a full refund with a 15% bonus. So far they have made good on their promise in each case.
                          Their secret is each mate is a tailored clone, called an Ideal Mate ™ with traits and personae added to match the client’s specifications. All are given expertly counterfeited documents detailing their public record and a backstory explaining the lack of family. While there have been field reports of “incidents” involving emotional instability, violent outbursts, physical capabilities well outside recommended thresholds, and cannibalism; the company currently boasts a 98% customer satisfaction rate. Any troubling incidents are addressed by Ideal Inc. directly.
                          Amazing stuff! ...but I think you missed the real monster(s)...

Horror
                          Ideal Inc. Headquarters
                          This company is a symbiotic Horror and a Mystery Cult that produces more Horrors in the form of Ideal Mates ™. The entire Corporate headquarters is sentient and capable of moving the material objects which make up the headquarters from the floors, walls, ceilings to the wiring and things connected to the building like phones and computers. The being is only able to speak through VOIP calls or the company's loud speaker intercom. It sees through the extensive cameras in and on the building, including the webcams. It hears and feels through any surface which it controls as part of itself. Smashing anything that can easily be unplugged and replaced does not count as damage against it.

Virtue: Efficient; Vice: Power-Hungry
                          Aspirations:Get as many Ideal Mates ™ in positions of influence as possible, Secretly make Ideal Inc. a world power, _______________ (Fill in the Blank for your Chronicle: Serve the God-Machine, Prevent potential Awakenings, Wipe out all Forsaken descended Wolf-Blooded, Ensure adult changeling Fetches marry an Ideal Mate™ while the changeling is in Arcadia, Secretly eradicate ALL vampires, Usurp control of Hunter Conspiracies, Cause those that marry Ideal Mates™ to love them so dearly that their ghost is Anchored to the Ideal Mate™, ect...)
                          Mental Attributes: Intelligence 5, Wits 5, Resolve 10
                          Physical Attributes: Strength 10, Dexterity 0, Stamina 10
                          Social Attributes: Presence 6, Manipulation 6, Composure 10
                          Skills: Academics 10 (Law), Crafts 10 (Forged Documentation) Brawl 5, Medicine 5, Persuasion 5, Subterfuge 5
                          Merits: Contacts 1(Ideal Inc. Clients) Status 5 (Ideal Inc.), Staff 5 (Academics, Computers, Crafts, Medicine, Expression, Persuasion) Resources 5, Mystery Cult Initiation 5 (Ideal Incoperated Corperate Culture)
                          Merits from Mystery Cult Initiation: Good Time Management, Table Turner, Fast Talker 2, Telepathic 3
                          Potency: 10
                          Willpower: 20
                          Size: 100
                          Initiative: 15
                          Defense: 0
                          Armor: 10/10 (-3 Damage due to Home Ground Dread Power)
                          Speed: 0
                          Health: 110
                          Weapons/Attacks (Counting 3 dice for Home Ground Dread Power)
                          Collapsing room [+10L melee AoE -must be in a room inside-; 18 dice]
                          Collapsing hall [+5L melee AoE -must be in a hall inside-; 18 dice]
                          Strangling cables [+2L melee; 18 dice]
                          Jagged flooring/wall/window maw [+3L melee; 18 dice]
                          Thrown desks [+3L thrown; 12 dice]
                          Compact car "spit" from parking garage [+7L thrown; 12 dice]
                          Bane: Being Bankrupt
                          Dread Powers:
                          INCORPORATED, LIMITED LIABILITY
                          The creature isn’t bound by mortal laws of life and death. It’s not indestructible, per se, but if it’s killed by anything other than its Bane, in this case being bankrupted, it just comes back in a later scene in the form of another building or rebuilt like nothing happened. Even if it’s destroyed with its Bane, it’s never really gone — a group of people can always buy the trade marked Name and reincorporate it, after which it will push the corporate structure to reform the same Mystery Cult and purpose, in essence bringing the whole creature back for a sequel story.
                          MIRACULOUS CLONING
                          The Horror is capable of performing miraculous feats at the request of humans. These miracles are accomplished via supernaturally empowered cloning and forging documents/memories for those clones within the facility with the help of Staff and include:
                          • Grant any combination of Merits up to a total of 5 dots, which represent an Ideal Mate™, common merits include Mentor, Retainer, and True Friend
                          Ideal Inc. cannot do this unless explicitly asked to by a living human being, and it can only do it if that living human has an Aspiration to have or find the perfect mate. Most Horrors can only grant this one to three wishes to a given person. Finally, all magic of this sort comes with a price. When the Horror grants a victim’s wish, the Aspiration that allowed the Horror to fulfill their wish is destroyed utterly. The character will never be able to fulfill it or replace it with another Aspiration.
                          HYPNOTIC PHONE CALL
                          The creature’s voice over the phone can charm and beguile. When speaking to the target through a phone, it can spend 1 Willpower and roll Presence + Persuasion contested by the target’s Composure. If successful, the creature counts as having a perfect impression against the target for Social maneuvers until the end of the scene.
                          UNBREAKABLE
                          The creature is nearly indestructible. Any attack that does not score an exceptional success inflicts only a single point of bashing damage. Exceptional successes inflict damage as normal. If the creature has a weakness of some sort, attacks incorporating that weakness bypass this power.
                          HOME GROUND
                          The creature has a specific form of home ground on which it gains supernatural bonuses. This is any land legally owned by Ideal Inc. While on its home ground, the creature adds three dice to all its physical dice pools and Influence rolls, reduces all damage suffered by three, and gains a +3 bonus to its rolls to resist supernatural effects.
                          COLOSSUS
                          The Horror is a creature immense size and power. The Horror gains general Armor equal to its Stamina. Against creatures and objects of smaller Size than the Horror, its attacks benefit from the 8-Again rule.

Mystery Cult
                          Ideal Incorporated Corporate Culture
                          Relic: The Original Company Charter

Purpose: Get as many Ideal Mates ™ in positions of influence as possible

Doctrine: “To empower the very best people with the knowledge and inspiration needed to grow and strengthen their most important relationships for a lifetime of happiness” is the company's mission statement, but behind this opaque bit of marketing lies a fanatical drive to manufacture "love" as a high end product to the influential, wealthy, and powerful and reap the benefits of that business.

Cultists: Not everyone employed by Ideal Inc. is initiated into this Mystery Cult, but by the time you reach management you start to see more of the companies true purpose.

Appearance: Dressed in western corporate business casual, from a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds and evenly divided between both sexes, with professional hygiene and manners speaking american English in a non-regional accent. Not weird at all one on one, but increasingly creepy in larger and larger groups, like a commercial of ideal corporate culture come to life...

Benefits:
                          - Those that attain management status within the company gain this level of initiation within a few months or are fired. Gains the Goodtime Management Merit.
                          •• - Those pushing their way up this corporate ladder have learned how to make adversity in their favor. Gains the Table Turner Merit.
                          ••• - Reach the top levels of executives requires bending people to your will and understanding hearts. Gains 2 dots in the the Fast Talking Merit.
                          •••• - Beyond understanding human nature those initiated to this level are the right hands of the Board of Directors and CEO and can see into people's hearts. They also can hear the thoughts of the Ideal Inc. Headquarters itself. Gains the 3 dot version of the Telepathy Merit.
                          ••••• - Reserved exclusively for the Board of Directors, the CEO and the Ideal Inc. Headquarters itself. May spend a Willpower to treat any Ideal Mate™ they can communicate with as their own personal Retainer covered by the True Friend Merit for the rest of a scene, which causes the Ideal Mate™ to gain the "Idyllic Backlash" Condition afterwards.

New Condition
                          Idyllic Backlash
                          Being a "perfect" artificial being created for the satisfaction of another person and subject to the capacious whims of your creators is an impossible position. Being pushed to this level of obedience is like pulling an pendulum to one side, it's going to swing to the other as soon as the pressure is released.

Effect: The character records all Breaking Points that happen during this Condition, but does not suffer them immediately. All the character's Aspirations become a dramatic opposite or perversion of what they are normally. The character's Vice changes to Horrific, they may only regain willpower through their Vice, and fulfilling the Vice in a way which is a Breaking Point refills all lost Willpower as if it were a Virtue.
                          Causes: Be an Ideal Mate™ that was just controlled via the 5 dot ability of the Mystery Cult Initiation (Ideal Incorporated Corporate Culture), recovering from being possessed by certain beings pushing you towards being "perfect".
                          Resolution: Perform a Horrific act which would be Breaking Points for the character and is the dramatic opposite or perversion of one of their normal Aspiration. Upon resolving this Condition the person gains the Amnesia Condition concerning what they did as a Retainer to a person with the 5 dot ability of the Mystery Cult Initiation (Ideal Incorporated Corporate Culture) and what they did during the Idyllic Backlash. When confronted with evidence of committing things which would be Breaking Points they did during the Idyllic Backlash they suffer the Breaking Point at that time. The character also gains the Embarrassing Secret or Notorious Conditions depending on how public their indiscretions were.
                          Beats: Being confronted by authority figures trying to stop you from expressing your inverted Aspirations or current Vice.

Other Monsters
                          The Board of Directors and CEO are assuredly monsters, most likely extremely powerful ones. What kind of monsters they are will depend on how you want to use this Horror as an endgame antagonist. Here are some ideas...
                          Examples:
                          • Serve the God-Machine - Obviously God-Machine Cultists, Angels and beings Claimed by Angels
                          • Prevent potential Awakenings - a Powerful pylon of Seers of the Throne, possibly a multiple Ministry project between the Panopticon, Mammon, and Hedgemony of those near the top of the Pyramids
                          • Wipe out all Forsaken descended Wolf-Blooded - Ivory Claws of terrible power that captured and reformed a formless Idigam to suit this purpose, controlling Uratha breeding partners/children as a type of eugenic "cleansing" of their foes is right up their alley.
                          • Ensure adult changeling Fetches marry an Ideal Mate™ while the changeling is in Arcadia - Loyalist Privateers blessed by their True Fae Masters making the lives free changelings want to step back into very tempting traps.
                          • Secretly eradicate ALL vampires - extremely powerful and far reaching vampire hunters, possibly antediluvian VII vampires that existed before any know Clans.
                          • Usurp control of Hunter Conspiracies - This could be any number of extremely powerful supernatural beings
                          • Cause those that marry Ideal Mates™ to love them so dearly that their ghost is Anchored to the Ideal Mate™ - a Geist-Bound Krewe which is working to reshape the underworld by reshaping the living, perhaps working for a Kerboros and are definitely not Sin-Eaters.
                          Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 07-17-2017, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• Re: Ideal Inc.

I like this alot - running the Corporate Entity itself as a Horror would create some very fun play experiences. Rather than give it a obviously sinister agenda, I would give it the aspirations of "Make Money (the Aspiration of All Businesses), an "Make People Happy". Ideal Mate ™ technology could easily create super -soldiers or killer mutants, but it chooses to create relatively normal people who want to love and be loved. It just goes about it in a twisted fashion - that alien understanding is just filled with the "fridge horror" and "mood whiplash" that I enjoy using in my games.

ps - I do really enjoy when other people can take one of my ideas and run with it - this makes my day!

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
                            The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
                            Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
                            Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

• While we're on the subject of monsters to convert, here's another Mutant Chronicles baddie! Thanks for the Super Flayer-it's not much modification to make these ladies of war.

True Weaver

The second-in-commands of the Dark Apostle Illian's high command (the first-in-commands are her Nepharites), True Weavers are posthuman aliens that serve as the Dark Symmetry specialists of Illian's cult, which given how Illian is the inventor of Symmetry magics, is really saying something. Every nascent True Weaver is already a sorcerous genius among sorcerous geniuses, and she (Illian is a gleeful misandrist, purely because she knows it makes patriarchal humans uncomfortable) has proven herself ruthless, brave, and shrewd with the political schemes and black invention that is the bread and butter of Illian's church. When promoted to her new species, the cultist is thrust into the space between universes to look upon her goddess' true form in one of the most hostile places in the multiverse-those few who survive with sanity intact become androgynous, pale creatures with white scaleras except for the pulsing blue veins of energy. Her power cemented, the True Weaver is more than capable of gating herself back home, where she has specialized rune-etched robes that flow like silk and yet absorb damage like tanks made for her. Remorseless and brilliant, a True Weaver is one part living artillery, one part mystical mastermind, and three parts alien bringer of death, not even needing true guns to spread purple fire across the battlefield.

Concept: Mystical General of Illian

Virtue: Ambitious

Vice: Callous

Aspirations: Look after her branch of the cult's welfare, research new Symmetry techniques, become a Nepharite

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 9, Wits 6, Resolve 7
                              Physical Attributes: Strength 3, Dexterity 4, Stamina 6
                              Social Attributes: Presence 3, Manipulation 6, Composure 7

Skills: Academics 4, Firearms (Flaming Fist of Destruction) 4, Investigation (Arcane Secrets) 4, Medicine 3, Occult (Dark Symmetry) 5, Politics (Favor Trading) 4, Brawl 3,Empathy 4, Persuasion 3, Intimidation (Kneel Before Her) 4, Subterfuge (Complex Scheming) 5

Merits: Area Of Expertise 1 (Arcane Secrets, Dark Symmetry), Indomitable 2, Interdisciplinary Specialty 1 (Arcane Secrets, Dark Symmetry), Trained Observer 3, Iron Will 2, Small Unit Tactics 3, Untouchable 1

Potency: 7

Dread Power: Ice Elemental*, Influence (Dark Symmetry *****), Natural Weapons (Entropic Touch ***) Numina (Blast), Unbreakable

* Same as Fire Elemental, but Ilian is more associated with the chill of empty space than fire, regardless of how much fire True Weavers throw around. True Weavers are instead immune to damage from cold or vacuum, and can hold their breath indefinitely.

Ban: Must obey the will of Ilian in all things

Bane: The Light, the chaotic power of evolution and life that is the Dark Symmetry's natural opposite. Those robes can't soak holy weapons.

EDIT: You may notice these guys are a bit OP. They're supposed to be-the high command of the Dark Legion taking the field is a sign to call the tanks in. Also, their Bane is actually a massive balancing factor, as holy weapons are extremely common in the game setting, and all human magic is based on holy power.
                              Last edited by Leliel; 07-24-2017, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• How about something in the theme of polymorphing or changing the victim in some manner, mostly because it's a common RPG (or atleast just D&D) staple to have those sorts of challenges forcibly change the players and part of the challenge is undoing it.

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
                                DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
                                Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Working...
                                X